Page 1 of 1

Borislav Ivanov "channels" 'Houdini'

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:30 pm
by Number Six
This fraud-related issue has been impacting the chess world as the Bulgarian chess master Borislav Ivanov was barred from chess tournaments suspected of cheating in tournaments as the correlation of his moves to the 3330 rated computer program 'Houdini 3' was proven statistically beyond a doubt:

http://www.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211 ... 60613.aspx

Having played at the candidate master level in tournaments, I can say that every player would like an "edge" but in this case it was against the rules.

Question for those who are especially tech savvy, I would think that there are plenty of sharp technology detection experts who would have been able to pick up Ivanov's computer link device; casinos are fertile ground for fraud detection and interdiction. RF device scanners are sufficient to pick up any significant signals that are being used, no?

Re: Borislav Ivanov "channels" 'Houdini'

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:22 am
by morrand
Number Six wrote:Question for those who are especially tech savvy, I would think that there are plenty of sharp technology detection experts who would have been able to pick up Ivanov's computer link device; casinos are fertile ground for fraud detection and interdiction. RF device scanners are sufficient to pick up any significant signals that are being used, no?


The RF spectrum is a very big place, though, and if you're not sure of what you're looking for, it's not easy to find a signal. It would be fairly simple, for example, to have a shill watching the moves, texting them to home base, and then signaling the responses back to Ivanov somehow (hand signals, most likely, or something along that line). An RF scanner isn't going to be able to distinguish that from any other text message, and of course text messaging isn't itself suspicious.

Re: Borislav Ivanov "channels" 'Houdini'

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:39 pm
by Number Six
Another player, this time a German master nabbed in computer cheating, apparently using a vibrating cell phone that transmitted a code: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/18/cross ... ating.html

Re: Borislav Ivanov "channels" 'Houdini'

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:24 pm
by JamesVincent
You might see other things going on soon.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2013-06/biohacking-implanted-headphones

Rich Lee, a 34 year-old salesman from St. George, Utah, and a self-described Grinder, recently had sound-transmitting magnets implanted in his ears. Paired with a media player and cord, amplifier, battery pack, and a coil necklace--all concealed under a shirt--he can play music and more without anyone knowing he’s doing so. He has also used the implants with other devices to augment his own senses and abilities.


If it is possible then you could have someone just talking to you and noone would know. Using a phone or other receiver you wouldn't be generating RF, someone else would. And if you're using a phone then the RF would be everywhere. You could have someone talking to you on a phone and having someone else run the simulation somewhere else.

Re: Borislav Ivanov "channels" 'Houdini'

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:35 pm
by LaVidaRoja
Is the solution to have all championship-level chess matches played entirely in the nude?

Re: Borislav Ivanov "channels" 'Houdini'

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:52 pm
by wserra
LaVidaRoja wrote:Is the solution to have all championship-level chess matches played entirely in the nude?


Or in Faraday suits.

Re: Borislav Ivanov "channels" 'Houdini'

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:56 pm
by notorial dissent
Or more sensibly, and much easier on the eye considering some of the chess types I've known, simply hold the tourney in a room that has been deadened and spectrum blocked. I realize it would be a severe privation on some of the umbilically attached of the modern generation, but sometimes one must suffer for art.

Re: Borislav Ivanov "channels" 'Houdini'

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:12 pm
by Arthur Rubin
JamesVincent wrote:If it is possible then you could have someone just talking to you and noone would know. Using a phone or other receiver you wouldn't be generating RF, someone else would.
Not quite true. A phone generates the "I am here" signal in RF; and even RF receivers generate RF in use. See, for example, the Wikipedia article Electromagnetic compatibility.

Re: Borislav Ivanov "channels" 'Houdini'

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:00 am
by Number Six
notorial dissent wrote:Or more sensibly, and much easier on the eye considering some of the chess types I've known, simply hold the tourney in a room that has been deadened and spectrum blocked. I realize it would be a severe privation on some of the umbilically attached of the modern generation, but sometimes one must suffer for art.


Plenty of schools do that so it is usually quite difficult to call out. On the chess personality types, quite true about some of the stereotypes. Einstein was quite critical of the game and its effect on his friend, champion Emanuel Lasker who made contributions in other areas. Some players flatter themselves that they must be smart (or thought to be) because they can play the game. In reality some are little better than morons. I'm reminded of one fellow, "John", who was a weak master with some extremely eccentric behavior. Hoarder, tax evader who managed to survive "out of the system", I told one friend who was extremely suspicious of him on some unsolved crimes to turn him in. And that friend keeps talking about his suspicions to this day.

A good set of quotes by numerous people on the game: http://www.chessquotes.com/topic-chess There have been notable high rated masters that went into other fields to achieve professional excellence like economist, Ken Rogoff.