Cable exec gets 9 years in the pokey

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Cable exec gets 9 years in the pokey

Post by Demosthenes »

Ex-Cable Exec Gets 9 Years For Tax, Fraud Charges

POSTED: 7:28 am EST March 6, 2007

MIAMI -- A former cable television company executive was sentenced Monday to nine years in prison with credit for time served for fraud and tax evasion charges for a scheme to divert about $50 million for his own use.

U.S. District Court Judge Patricia Seitz credited Charles C. Hermanowski, 73, for the 61 months he has served behind bars in Australia and Miami. Hermanowski also has been ordered to pay a $4 million dollar fine.

Hermanowski pleaded guilty in December to fraud and tax evasion. He was charged in an 85-count indictment with overseeing a scheme to create numerous fake accounting and financial documents at his company, Americable International Inc., and its affiliates. The goal was to enrich himself, prosecutors said, including several million dollars in fine art purchases.

"I was raised by my parents to lead a good Catholic life," Hermanowski said at Monday's sentencing. "I pray you to exercise Christian compassion," he said to the judge.

Prosecutors were not satisfied with the sentencing. They were seeking the maximum sentence of 12 years and seven months plus a $25.5 million fine.

Hermanowski fled to Australia in 2001 after charges were initially filed against him and adopted a new identity, but he was arrested a year later. He fought extradition until this summer, when he was extradited back to the United States.

Two other former Americable executives and three Americable companies have been convicted in the case.