A Jacobin's Perspective on the IRS

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
DarkestBeforeDawn

Re: A Jacobin's Perspective on the IRS

Post by DarkestBeforeDawn »

LDE wrote: I'm really tired of people holding up the creaky old Constitution of 1789 as some kind of sacred text. By now it's a kluge that barely functions as the basis for a 21st-century republic. The Electoral College turns presidential politics into a farce in which a few strategic states control the whole battle, the less popular of two candidates can win, and a third-party challenger can throw the whole thing into the House. The absurd composition of the upper house, in which Wyoming gets the same vote as California, can't even be remedied by amendment, and the whole two-house structure, meant to mimic England where a House of Lords frustrated popular democracy, means a lot of corrupt legislation gets sneaked in via conference committee. The Bill of Rights never envisioned modern telecommunications. Need I go on?
The Constitution is a piece of paper. The Law governs those that agree with them willingly or through force. The Law(Hitler) in Germany told the Jews get in the oven or gas chamber. From what I can gather most did not put up a fight so they agreed to the terms to be governed. It didn't matter what was written in black and white. It was 100% legal and justified. Just read about Dubai, some US company invested hundreds of million in real estate. Dubai took all assets and said they are now theirs with no explanation as to why. Actually, I think they said because we said so. 100% legal and justified.

US kidnaps countless people from foreign lands, either sends them to Cuba or torture ships. Sure, there are international agreements in place in black and white, but the Law says they don't apply and they don't care. 100% legal and justified.

The US government can round everyone up they want and put them all in a furance, 100% legal and justified, matter of fact you could probably get some judges to write off on it, with or without a judge's stamp 100% legal and justified.

The US is the only country I know of that has used atomic weapons on foreign enemies, we are also the only country I know of that has willingly used it on it's own people. You should see the documentaries on the atomic testing in the southeastern U.S. back in the 50s. It's quite funny to see soldiers sweeping radioactive dust off their vehicles with brooms, if it were not for the fact that it killed them or caused death prematurely. Once again, 100% legal and justified.

It really just comes down to, you agree with the terms and how the terms are being carried out, or you don't. The Law is always legally correct. It doesn't matter to much with all this tax stuff -- the imbalances are about to be balanced -- huge shifts will take place over the next decade. I think some of you are in for a rude awaken when you see how free you think you are -- most of you will get in your Hummer and forget this nonsense.
Lasagna

Post by Lasagna »

Everyone's given a shot at explaining to SteveSy's his logical fallacies a misunderstandings about the nature of law; I figured I'd give it a shot too. I suspect that this board has tried to explain this to Steve for a long, long time, to no avail. BUT, judging by his posts in this thread, I don't think it's impossible that it may "click" for Steve eventually. It's possible that my future participation in the board will make me feel differently, but I hope not.

First off, Steve, when you read my post, try to understand it before you rail against it. I'm not criticizing your opinions of what sort of system would be "better" (like someone else on this thread posted, such discussions are meant for the "Ranting and Raving thread.") If you decide to reply, please include what you believe I mean rather than only posting what you believe are arguments against my thoughts. There's a disconnect between your attacks and what people are actually saying; when you start to understand those, you might get a better understanding of law.

Outside of the ocassional slap, nobody here is trying to change your opinion of what you wish the law was, or what you put forth as an ideal civilization. Everyone is trying to make you understand what the law actually is and how it became that way. Nobody is claiming that the legal system fits some Platonic ideal of decision making - the very nature of "law," as I hope you will understand eventually, is antithetical to the concept of "Platonic ideals." Nobody is arguing about whether or not any particular law is fair or just. Many of us are lawyers (including me) and we are experts on what the law is. And your arguments about what the law is are easily dismissed. You're arguments about what the law should be are not. They are your opinions, and many people here would be happy to discuss them with you if you like.
Yes I will agree on things relating to small issues. As far as the issues like the commerce clause that shape the power of the federal government and affect the fundamental design of our country, no, they haven't done a good job. In fact I would argue they have seriously eroded the foundation laid to protect our individual freedoms and state sovereignty, basically the core of what the constitution was created to protect.
OK! Good start. Here you are arguing that decisions reached by the U.S. Supreme Court (and, I assume, lesser courts) have "seriously eroded the foundation laid to protect our individual freedoms and state sovereignty, basically the core of what the constitution was created to protect." I disagree to varying levels with this statement (e.g.: I believe the Courts have done a good job protecting individual freedoms, I agree that they have eroded state sovereignty but feel that is mostly a good thing, etc.), but your's is certainly not an insane or foolish position to have at the outset. But here's the important thing: it isn't germane to the discussions on this section of the forums. Here we attempt to focus on what the law actually is, not what it should be. What the structure of society should be is an interesting and important discussion, but that isn't what we're talking about.
[Judge's are] simply people and just because they claim something is this way or that doesn't change what it really is. If it's baseless nonsense then its nonsense and people should say so regardless of who they are. People should be asking where's the support for this absurdity instead of saying "well, he's a judge what he says is law".
Here's where you screw up. As somone else pointed out, you seem to believe that the "law" exists independently of what is decided by the legislature and the judiciary (this simplifies the system, but I hope you understand what I mean). It DOESN'T. The law is what the legislature and judiciary do. We often don't like their decisions, but those decision remain the LAW. You know one way to tell what the law is? If you violate it and are caught, and go to prison or are fined by the government as a result, it is the law. This is a separate issue from whether a particular law or legal system is "moral" or "just." When we don't like those decisions, we can change them - through the vote, through protests, through argument. If we want to be radical, we can simply refuse to obey the law. However, it still remains THE LAW.

Specifically to your comments about "he's a judge what he says is law": we're trying to get you to understand the system first, so we're required to make broad statements to avoid confusing you. I'll try to take it up a notch: sometimes individual judges make mistakes as to what the law is or how to apply it. I'm a lawyer; I see it on ocassion. HOWEVER - and this is the important sentence - THEY ARE NOT THE MISTAKES THAT YOU THINK THEY ARE. They sometimes misinterpret statutes or precedent, or misapply them to the issues in front of them. To fix this, one appeals the decision. That's what appellate courts are for. In certain cases, you appeal it up to the Supreme Court. Eventually, though, the appeals process stops, and we are left with a body of caselaw that determines the interpretation of various statutes, precedent caselaw, the U.S. Constitution, State Constitutions, whatever. That is the LAW. The law is not ethereal - it does not exist outside of this system, waiting to be discovered by SteveSy. You may not like the system or the decisions it has reached - that's up to you - but it is what it is.

On some issues there is uncertainty and grey areas. It's inevitable, and there are methods in place to work them out. On the issue of the legality and constitutionality of the federal tax system there is no grey area. It is absolutely legal and constitutional. Why? Because the courts and the legislature have said it is legal and constitutional. They have said it so firmly, and so often, and for so many years that they have finally tired of listening to arguments to the contrary, and declared such arguments to be frivilous and punsihable by themselves as a waste of the Court's time. Making this sort of declaration is rare, and not done lightly. It means, that when you go to Court and make your ridiculous "legal" arguments, you will no longer be listened to, and you will be fined.

You may not LIKE it. You may find it unjust or immoral or not in the spirit of the founding fathers. These are not legal arguments, however. To eliminate the federal tax system will require: (1) electing enough representatives who also feel we can and should do without it, or (2) open revolution and the overthrow of the government (I'd suggest option one). Arguing in court that the tax system isn't constitutional is a dead-end. And, incidentally, it is not because of corruption on the part of the judiciary - it is because tax protester arguments - every one of them - are stupid and irrational legal gibberish. The courts don't decide against you because they are power-mad and corrupt; they decide against you because you're wrong.

OK, this has gone on too long, so I'm going to zip through a few of your weirder thoughts:
That is what its called isn't it an opinion?
Christ Almighty, Steve. What exactly do you think the role of the courts are? To rend "opinions" that those in front of the court are free to take or leave? Try telling that to someone in prison.
I have never accepted the concept of judge made law.
OK, you're obviously a really tough, independent kind of guy. Who gives a shit? Whether or not SteveSy "accepts the concept of judge made law," it still exists. You don't define reality, Sonny-Jim.
A precedent that goes against reason does not bind.
And who decides what precedents go against reason? You?

Finally, using Stalin as Hitler as demonstrations of leaders who made evil laws is an inapt comparison to the U.S., for all the reasons others have discussed on the thread. This has gone on too long, so I'll leave that discussion for another day.
Lasagna

Post by Lasagna »

The US is the only country I know of that has used atomic weapons on foreign enemies
It's the only one that you know of? I'd hope you would have heard if there was another one, genius. How can you express uncertainty about something like that?
DarkestBeforeDawn

Lasagna wrote: It's the only one that you know of? I'd hope you would have heard if there was another one, genius. How can you express uncertainty about something like that?
You could possible subject a person or group of people to atomic radiation without it being on the TV. I would think any huge atomic blast would be known but not necessarily atomic poisoning.

Depleted uranium is somewhat considered poisoning, whether or not other countries have used depleted uranium is not known by me. I am not aware of any other country using those weapons.
DarkestBeforeDawn

CaptainKickback wrote:Because the person who made the statement is a twit?
Sure, we used atomics, twice......but they started it!!!
Why the anger? I actually said it was 100% legal and justified. Just like the US troops they killed, legal and justified. This is not really that complex. The Law says what is legal but without the power to enforce it is not the Law.

Some of you better pray the US Dollar doesn't end up like the Zimbabwean dollar, I don't think you'll do so well. You'll be crying, "that's not legal" as they come to take all the food out of your house.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

DarkestBeforeDawn wrote:
Lasagna wrote: It's the only one that you know of? I'd hope you would have heard if there was another one, genius. How can you express uncertainty about something like that?
You could possible subject a person or group of people to atomic radiation without it being on the TV. I would think any huge atomic blast would be known but not necessarily atomic poisoning.

Depleted uranium is somewhat considered poisoning, whether or not other countries have used depleted uranium is not known by me. I am not aware of any other country using those weapons.
An estimated 20 countries use DU in their arsenals, we're just one of the few -- along with the Brits and the Russians -- that have been using it openly for 30 years.

Your local hospital is probably using it too, if they offer radiation treatment for stuff like cancer. DU makes a good shield for medical professionals administering the treatment.

Considering that mercury is more toxic and dangerous than DU, you should be worrying more about those new fangled compact fluorescent light bulbs. :roll:
Demo.
Lasagna

Post by Lasagna »

You could possible subject a person or group of people to atomic radiation without it being on the TV.
You could, huh? How, exactly, would you commit mass "atomic radiation poisoning" against a foreign enemy without it "being on TV"? Or for that matter, how do you do that without an atomic blast? Sabotage a power plant? What in God's name are you talking about?
RyanMcC

Post by RyanMcC »

Demosthenes wrote:Considering that mercury is more toxic and dangerous than DU, you should be worrying more about those new fangled compact fluorescent light bulbs. :roll:
This is such an important issue it was mentioned on the Colbert Report last night (video below):
Stephen wants Brendan Koerner to tell him why they make fluorescent light bulbs look like soft serve ice cream if you're not supposed to lick them.

http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertrep ... oId=177957
DarkestBeforeDawn

Lasagna wrote: You could, huh? How, exactly, would you commit mass "atomic radiation poisoning" against a foreign enemy without it "being on TV"? Or for that matter, how do you do that without an atomic blast? Sabotage a power plant? What in God's name are you talking about?
Who said it has to be on a mass level, I never said mass level, I said person or group. If you are the backwoods of Pakistan would they even know what they are dying from?

If it's an atomic blast as far as I know the US is the only ones to use it on enemies and their own people, if it's some type of poisoning it really could be an unknown. I really don't know what there is fight about seems pretty simple to me. Either way, 100% legal. Matter of fact, GWB could have nukes fired on New York if he wished, if the orders were carried out it would be 100% legal and justified.
SteveSy

Post by SteveSy »

Lasagna wrote:If you decide to reply, please include what you believe I mean rather than only posting what you believe are arguments against my thoughts.
I believe you mean to say, whatever they say is law, is law regardless of what is written or any evidence to the contrary.
You know one way to tell what the law is? If you violate it and are caught, and go to prison or are fined by the government as a result, it is the law.
That basically says it all. Might makes right regardless. I'm not disagreeing or having a disconnect when it comes to what will happen if someone goes against what they say is law. It's very clear to me no one will win in court concerning the constitutionality of income taxes. Of course no one would have won trying to convince a German court Hitler was violating German law or that any other leader(s) who are abusing their powers and disregarding the laws are wrong either once they have obtained enough power.

Just because a judge or officials says something is law doesn't automatically mean the written law is now what the said it is. All it means is that they have a big stick and will use it on you if you don't listen to them. That my friend is anarchy and it is insane to accept that type of system as rational and follow it off the cliff if they so desire. It is your responsibility as a citizen to stand up and say something isn't valid. I'm not saying you would change that judge or officials mind by yourself. However, if enough people like you agree it won't continue and if it does they need to be removed from power. The government only has power because we allow it to have power. There's a lot more of us then there are of them. I'm not advocating violence, I'm advocating that people stop being drones and simply accepting what they say regardless of how absurd or ridiculous it is simply because they say we should.

btw, the election process is not the only way to fix things. In fact I would argue that simply doesn't work on somethings...for instance corruption concerning the spending practices of congress. Not enough people will get elected that are willing to stop it. It will never happen because the people who do it have enough power and money to insure enough people like that will never get elected.
Last edited by SteveSy on Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Matter of fact, GWB could have nukes fired on New York if he wished, if the orders were carried out it would be 100% legal and justified.
Hmmm. New tag line?
Demo.
DarkestBeforeDawn

Steve,

I would somewhat disagree with you. You say that Hitler was disregarding German Law, no he didn't, he became the Law. Without power to enforce you have no Law or power to govern. Hitler and the Nazi party became the Law, the German people agreed with the terms of being governed. One legal system was replaced with another.

It's really about choice -- now you might not like your choices but you always have a choice. If I were a Jew back then, I am about 100% sure I wouldn't have stepped into a oven. At the very least I would had them waste a few bullets. Law is whatever someone says to do -- you either agree to not disagree or you cancel any agreement or implied agreement. You owe nothing to the Law.
RyanMcC

Post by RyanMcC »

What about Godwin's Law? Why should Godwin get to dictate the law? Who does Godwin think he is? And who are any of us to judge that comparing the IRS to Nazis should be deemed a violation of that law?
DarkestBeforeDawn

RyanMcC wrote:What about Godwin's Law? Why should Godwin get to dictate the law? Who does Godwin think he is? And who are any of us to judge that comparing the IRS to Nazis should be deemed a violation of that law?
It really has nothing to do with Hitler or the Nazi? It could be about someone telling you what to do? You have a choice, you might not like the outcome to the choice but you do have a choice.

Black people in this country agreed to sit in the back of the bus. It was 100% legal and justified.
It really doesn't matter what you talk about and what the issues are. The Law is always 100% legal and justified, without the power to enforce you have no Law. You either agree or you cancel any agreement or implied agreement.
Lasagna

Post by Lasagna »

Matter of fact, GWB could have nukes fired on New York if he wished, if the orders were carried out it would be 100% legal and justified.
Hmmm. New tag line?
Shotgun.
SteveSy

Post by SteveSy »

DarkestBeforeDawn wrote:Steve,

I would somewhat disagree with you. You say that Hitler was disregarding German Law, no he didn't, he became the Law. Without power to enforce you have no Law or power to govern. Hitler and the Nazi party became the Law, the German people agreed with the terms of being governed. One legal system was replaced with another.
I agree if the principals as they are laid are valid concerning what "law" is. I'm talking from the perspective of written law and that it doesn't change by fiat alone. If "law" is what is posited here then we must also accept that the laws in tyrannical governments are just as legitimate. I think we're saying the same thing, I'm simply trying to emphasize the irrationality of arguing that "because they said so" requires us to unconditionally accept their version of law as valid. People in those regimes would have never obtained the power they did if people did not use the flawed reasoning supplied here.
Last edited by SteveSy on Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Lasagna wrote:
Hmmm. New tag line?
Yep - especially since it shows how disconnected Darkest is from reality.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
SteveSy

Post by SteveSy »

Exactly what is the point of having a written law if the law can change by fiat alone? It doesn't make sense.

Madison said it very well:
Madison – Federalist #62
The internal effects of a mutable policy are still more calamitous. It poisons the blessing of liberty itself. It will be of little avail to the people, that the laws are made by men of their own choice, if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood; if they be repealed or revised before they are promulgated, or undergo such incessant changes that no man, who knows what the law is to-day, can guess what it will be tomorrow. Law is defined to be a rule of action; but how can that be a rule, which is little known, and less fixed?

Another effect of public instability is the unreasonable advantage it gives to the sagacious, the enterprising, and the moneyed few over the industrious and uniformed mass of the people. Every new regulation concerning commerce or revenue, or in any way affecting the value of the different species of property, presents a new harvest to those who watch the change, and can trace its consequences; a harvest, reared not by themselves, but by the toils and cares of the great body of their fellow-citizens. This is a state of things in which it may be said with some truth that laws are made for the FEW, not for the MANY.

In another point of view, great injury results from an unstable government. The want of confidence in the public councils damps every useful undertaking, the success and profit of which may depend on a continuance of existing arrangements. What prudent merchant will hazard his fortunes in any new branch of commerce when he knows not but that his plans may be rendered unlawful before they can be executed? What farmer or manufacturer will lay himself out for the encouragement given to any particular cultivation or establishment, when he can have no assurance that his preparatory labors and advances will not render him a victim to an inconstant government?

In a word, no great improvement or laudable enterprise can go forward which requires the auspices of a steady system of national policy. But the most deplorable effect of all is that diminution of attachment and reverence which steals into the hearts of the people, towards a political system which betrays so many marks of infirmity, and disappoints so many of their flattering hopes. No government, any more than an individual, will long be respected without being truly respectable; nor be truly respectable, without possessing a certain portion of order and stability.
Some of you claim, well, congress can just make a new law to fix the problem. If judges can simply change the law by fiat then what's to prevent them from changing the law to mean exactly what the legislators were trying to prevent? Nothing, and that is exactly why judges do not have this power to make law that you claim they do. Their opinions must be based on evidence of the law or they're simply baseless nonsense and to be disregarded as such. The only thing you should accept is that if you happen to be so unlucky to get in from of this fool you'll lose, not because of the law but because you're in front of a tyrant with the ability to hurt you.
Last edited by SteveSy on Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lasagna

Post by Lasagna »

Well, I tried. You all saw me try. So, SteveSy, let's wrap this up:
I believe you mean to say, whatever they say is law, is law regardless of what is written or any evidence to the contrary.

You didn't read a single word of what I wrote, and haven't read a single word of what anyone else has written. Unbelievable.
It's very clear to me no one will win in court concerning the constitutionality of income taxes. Of course no one would have won trying to convince a German court Hitler was violating German law or that any other leader(s) who are abusing their powers and disregarding the laws are wrong either once they have obtained enough power.
See that? That's what's wrong with you. Right there. This is beyond dumb. They have pills now, Steve. Give 'em a shot.
DarkestBeforeDawn

The Observer wrote: Yep - especially since it shows how disconnected Darkest is from reality.
It's just the plain simple truth. You either agree with the terms or you don't agree with the terms or carrying out of the terms. You can make it some complex thing but it isn't.

Hey, if someone likes to pay 28% taxes to the federal government I have no problem with that. If a Jew wants to step into an oven or black person wants to ride in the back of the bus, who am I to argue. It's all 100% legal. If the government wants to take money from you and give it to some bankers and you agree to the terms, what's the problem? If that is what you agree with -- you certainly won't see me complaining on your behave.

Like I said, I think some of you might be surprised one day. You'll probably do what your told all the way -- than one day you can go, "Yes son, I did exactly what they told me to do". If that is your thing -- I have absolutely nothing wrong with it.