See?? It DOES happen.

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
to free or not to free

See?? It DOES happen.

Post by to free or not to free »

I came across this and thought you would be interested.
http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1176282246546
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

We had an extensive thread on this case a couple of months ago when they won.
to free or not to free

Post by to free or not to free »

OOPS :oops: I guess I missed that one. I musta-been OTL on that one.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

You won't find anyone here that thinks the IRS is perfect. Sometimes they deserve to lose. Just not to wackos and their nonsense.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Imalawman wrote:You won't find anyone here that thinks the IRS is perfect. Sometimes they deserve to lose. Just not to wackos and their nonsense.
The people involved in this case should have gotten a lot more money in their settlement IMHO.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Demosthenes wrote:
Imalawman wrote:You won't find anyone here that thinks the IRS is perfect. Sometimes they deserve to lose. Just not to wackos and their nonsense.
The people involved in this case should have gotten a lot more money in their settlement IMHO.
Yeah, I agree. This is rather egregious. Maybe they were just tired of fighting.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

There was a Tax Court case earlier this week that I was thinking about citing because the Tax Court reversed the IRS on the result of a collection due process hearing, holding that it was an "abuse of discretion" for the IRS to deny innocent spouse relief.

To me the case demonstrated two things:

1. CDP hearings really can serve the purpose for which they were intended (which was not to allow tax deniers another chance to vent); and

2. The IRS does make mistakes and when it does, the courts are willing and able to correct them.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

2. The IRS does make mistakes
Yes, indeed.

and when it does, the courts are willing and able to correct them.
Sometimes, anyway. Not often enough, in my humble experience.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

LPC wrote: There was a Tax Court case earlier this week that I was thinking about citing because the Tax Court reversed the IRS on the result of a collection due process hearing, holding that it was an "abuse of discretion" for the IRS to deny innocent spouse relief.

To me the case demonstrated two things:

1. CDP hearings really can serve the purpose for which they were intended (which was not to allow tax deniers another chance to vent); and

2. The IRS does make mistakes and when it does, the courts are willing and able to correct them.
What is not realized are the situations where the person(s) being persecuted don't have the resources to mount a serious or determined defense and simply buckle.

I, and most here, probably know someone who will just about pay anything (assuming they have it) to avoid getting into a protracted fight in such matters. There is a general sense that like the list of "aggressive tax preparers," there are lists you don't want to be on.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three