MAKE THE CALL...

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
gottago
Victim of Incarcerated Criminal

Post by gottago »

Do banks keep copies of statements forever? Can you request them over the phone from another state when the account has been closed for 7 years? How much would it cost to obtain 4 years of statements?

Idiot, lazy, stupid--surely the unnamed genius can come up with better adjectives than this. Are you smarter than a fifth grader?

As previously stated, I do appreciate the help of those on here who are not so insecure and immature. I have printed this thread out and will be using it in the CDPH hearing to get input from the appeals officer as to what to do to satisfy the irs.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

gottago wrote:Do banks keep copies of statements forever? Can you request them over the phone from another state when the account has been closed for 7 years? How much would it cost to obtain 4 years of statements?
How much will it cost to find out the answers to your questions?

For once, show a little initiative and try to help yourself.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

gottago wrote:Do banks keep copies of statements forever? Can you request them over the phone from another state when the account has been closed for 7 years? How much would it cost to obtain 4 years of statements?
These are all questions to ask the bank. I've been able to fetch statements as far back as 10 years from TD Banknorth (then Bank North, NA) on closed accounts from the date of closure. It took about two months to process since it was on microfiche.

I don't think they're going to allow you to request it via the phone. They usually require something in writing. But, that's simple enough to do. I have a form letter for this if you need it.

As for the billing, when I had to request back statements from Citizens Bank on a closed account, they sent a letter stating that the research was completed, how much the fee was, and that they'd release the materials once the fee was paid.

First step would be to call the bank to see what their policy is on how long they keep things. If the statements may still be available, find out what you need to do to get them and how the fees would need to be paid.

EDIT: Let me rephrase, I've been able to get bank statements 10 years after the date of closure. It came out all funny... I think I need to start Irishing up my morning coffee.
Last edited by webhick on Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Randall
Warden of the Quatloosian Sane Asylum
Location: The Deep South, so deep I'm almost in Rhode Island.

Post by Randall »

gottago wrote:Idiot, lazy, stupid--surely the unnamed genius can come up with better adjectives than this. Are you smarter than a fifth grader?
Fifth graders are really good at coming up with names for dumbasses like yourself. Go to your local grade school and see for yourself.
I'd wager that 3 out of 4 fifth graders if asked where to go for a bank statement would be able to guess "bank?".
webhick

Post by webhick »

Randall wrote:I'd wager that 3 out of 4 fifth graders if asked where to go for a bank statement would be able to guess "bank?".
I beg to differ. One of those fifth graders are probably rooking the mail each day and as a result would sheepishly say "my room." One has been maniacally shredding every important document mommy owns, so the answer would be "shredder". One couldn't find newspaper to line the bird cage so the answer is expressed in the form of a giggle. One would accurately say "bank", but that's because he's a suck-up. One would say the "right before the period, cause if it ended in a question mark it wouldn't be a statement."

And I've caught that show from time to time, and I'm fairly certain that those fifth graders are really hybrid goat-spinach monsters from Venus. Yeah, that's right. You can't deny it.

So, are you smarter than a hybrid goat-spinach monster from Venus?

:) :)
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Brian Rookard
Beefcake

Post by Brian Rookard »

gottago wrote: How much would it cost to obtain 4 years of statements?
I'll take a guess that it would be less than $1.5 million dollars in your case.
gottago

Post by gottago »

dumbasses

That's a good one!

How about retard, dork, doofus....

I love the intense thought processes that are involved in some of ya'lls posts.

Randy, do you work for the gub?
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Randall wrote:
gottago wrote:Idiot, lazy, stupid--surely the unnamed genius can come up with better adjectives than this. Are you smarter than a fifth grader?
Fifth graders are really good at coming up with names for dumbasses like yourself. Go to your local grade school and see for yourself.
I'd wager that 3 out of 4 fifth graders if asked where to go for a bank statement would be able to guess "bank?".
And now, the new TP competition, "are you better at arguing than a 5th grader?"
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
gottago

Post by gottago »

I have not engaged in one argument with anyone--that would truly be an exercise in futility here on quatloos. I am simply trying to understand the processes involved. The fifth grade mentality is exhibited by those with nothing to say but the need to throw out meaningless insults.

Surprisingly, no one has called me a "nappy headed ho' " yet. :P
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

those with nothing to say but the need to throw out meaningless insults.
I think your initial iteration of this dodge might have been referring to me.

Far from having nothing to say, I pointed out how you had plenty of opportunity over many years to prove your actual basis (as opposed to the IRS's assumption of a zero basis in the absense of proof to the contrary) from easily available records and thus could have avoided 95% or more of your problem.

Your whining about $2,500 to have somebody else do what you could have easily done yourself cuts no ice. It's no big deal to slog through a few hundred or even a few thousand transactions using a spreadsheet to come up with your total net actual short-term capital loss.

A few hours of data entry drudgery to eliminate $1.5 million in liability. That would seem to be worth the trouble, wouldn't it?

It still may be. Brokers can dredge up old records out of microfiche or other archival storage just as banks can.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
webhick

Post by webhick »

gottago,

I'm not sure if you've had the time to call them yet, but what did the bank say about supplying the statements?
Randall
Warden of the Quatloosian Sane Asylum
Location: The Deep South, so deep I'm almost in Rhode Island.

Post by Randall »

gottago wrote: The fifth grade mentality is exhibited by those with nothing to say but the need to throw out meaningless insults.
The preschool mentality is exhibited by those who complain every time they or someone else is called a name. Oh, boo hoo. Do you need someone to wipe your cryings???