Wesley Snipes at the Ct. of App. -- 11th Cir.

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Wesley Snipes at the Ct. of App. -- 11th Cir.

Post by Famspear »

Yesterday, November 25, 2008, a brief was filed on behalf of Wesley Snipes at the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, in his appeal of his criminal tax convictions at the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida.

The case number at the Eleventh Circuit is: 08-12402-H.

The arguments by Snipes on appeal are summarized in the brief as follows:
I. TO PROTECT HIS STATUTORY AND CONSTITUTIONAL VENUE RIGHTS, APPELLANT WAS ENTITLED TO A PRETRIAL HEARING AND JUDICIAL DETERMINATION OF HIS "LEGAL RESIDENCY"

A. The Trial Court Erroneously Held that Mr. Snipes’ Statutory Election of Venue in his District of Residence Was Untimely Exercised

B. When Venue Is Contested as a Matter of Fact, the Defendant’s Constitutional Rights Are Not Adequately Protected by Relying on the Trial Jury to Decide Where the Crime Was Committed

II. THE EVIDENCE AT TRIAL WAS INSUFFICIENT TO PROVE VENUE IN THE MIDDLE DISTRICT OF FLORIDA ON THE COUNTS OF CONVICTION

III. THE TRIAL COURT ERRED IN REFUSING A JURY INSTRUCTION ON THE DEFENDANT’S GOOD FAITH MISUNDERSTANDING OF THE FIFTH AMENDMENT PRIVILEGE, AS IT AFFECTS THE "WILLFULNESS" REQUIRED FOR PROOF OF THE OFFENSE OF FAILURE TO FILE INCOME TAX RETURNS

IV. THE THREE-YEAR SENTENCE OF IMPRISONMENT, COMPOSED OF THREE CONSECUTIVE MAXIMUM MISDEMEANOR TERMS, IS UNREASONABLE

A. The Sentencing Court’s Over-Reliance on General Deterrence Resulted in an Unreasonable Sentence

B. The Two-Level Obstruction of Justice Enhancement Was Based on Clearly Erroneous Findings of Fact

C. The Sentencing Court Erred by Using USSG §§ 2T1.1 and 2T4.1 as its Guide in a Misdemeanor Case

1. USSG § 2T1.1(a)(1) Violates 28 U.S.C. § 994(j)

2. USSG § 2T1.1(a)(1) Creates Unwarranted Disparity

3. Guideline Provision 2T1.1(a)(1) Should Not Have Been Applied in this Case Because It Is Not the Product of Careful Empirical Evidence

D. The Court Below Violated the Fifth and Sixth Amendments by Imposing a Sentence that Could Not Be Viewed as Reasonable Without Accepting Several Non-Jury Findings
The Snipes brief was filed on his behalf by Peter Goldberger.

Douglas Rosile filed a brief today, November 26th.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Re: Wesley Snipes at the Ct. of App. -- 11th Cir.

Post by fortinbras »

You'd think that after all his BLADE movies, Snipes would be more effective at fighting off blood-suckers.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Well, its not patently absurd anyway. I just don't think their gonna win on those points.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
jg
Fed Chairman of the Quatloosian Reserve

Post by jg »

Pardon if my ignorance is obvious, but is not venue an issue that has to be decided based on facts specific to the case and so is properly an issue for the jury? But if it is (solely) an issue for the jury the trial could well have been held in the wrong venue.

I do see where the U.S. Constitution guarantees trial by jury and venue ". . . in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed in any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed" (Article III, section 2, clause 3) which would be make it an issue of law for the judge.

From http://law.jrank.org/pages/2247/Venue.html
Venue is a fact that the prosecution must prove. Beyond this, rules as to the proof of venue vary among jurisdictions. Some states have a statutory presumption that venue is proper in the absence of contrary evidence. The federal rule is that venue may be proven by a preponderance of the evidence. ... This rule is based upon the view that venue is a material fact or issue in a criminal prosecution that the prosecution is required to prove.
That seems to not leave much room for appeal except that the judge's decision was an obvious error, no?

Thanks for any light you can shed on how the appeal in regard to venue works.
“Where there is an income tax, the just man will pay more and the unjust less on the same amount of income.” — Plato
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

This looks calculated to irritate the judge.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

jg wrote:Pardon if my ignorance is obvious, but is not venue an issue that has to be decided based on facts specific to the case and so is properly an issue for the jury? But if it is (solely) an issue for the jury the trial could well have been held in the wrong venue.

I do see where the U.S. Constitution guarantees trial by jury and venue ". . . in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed in any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed" (Article III, section 2, clause 3) which would be make it an issue of law for the judge.

From http://law.jrank.org/pages/2247/Venue.html
Venue is a fact that the prosecution must prove. Beyond this, rules as to the proof of venue vary among jurisdictions. Some states have a statutory presumption that venue is proper in the absence of contrary evidence. The federal rule is that venue may be proven by a preponderance of the evidence. ... This rule is based upon the view that venue is a material fact or issue in a criminal prosecution that the prosecution is required to prove.
That seems to not leave much room for appeal except that the judge's decision was an obvious error, no?

Thanks for any light you can shed on how the appeal in regard to venue works.
I seem to recall the venue was challenged in a pre trial motion, but it seems to me that venue is totally dependent on the address he put on his tax return. I'm guessing that although he has a few residences he could have used, he chose the Florida address at least in part because they have no income tax in Florida. If he argues to get the venue changed to say, California, I hope the state of California asserts it's right to their state tax.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Famspear wrote:B. When Venue Is Contested as a Matter of Fact, the Defendant’s Constitutional Rights Are Not Adequately Protected by Relying on the Trial Jury to Decide Where the Crime Was Committed
WTF? A jury trial isn't good enough for him?

This one intrigued me enough to download a copy of the brief, and the argument is interesting although (I think) unpersuasive.

Briefly, Snipes's argument is that the jury didn't have the right to determine whether venue was proper until the court had first determined that venue was proper. As stated in the brief:
But if Mr. Snipes was entitled not to be tried by a jury in the Middle District, then the jury which heard his case was incompetent to make the venue decision. To avoid this paradox, he was entitled to a judicial determination in support of his pretrial venue motions.
Snipes therefore wants *three* opportunities to contest venue. What actually happened was that Snipes could challenge the question of venue before the jury (with the burden of proof on the government) and, if the jury found that venue was proper, Snipes could challenge the finding in post-trial motions and appeals (as he is doing). What he wanted, though, was a pre-trial hearing, then a trial, and then post-trial motions.

Snipes really provides only one reason why the procedure he wants is better than the one used, and that reason is so that he could testify as to his residence without waiving his 5th Amendment right not to testify:
At a pretrial hearing, Mr. Snipes could have testified on the question of his permanent residence. Adjudicating venue only at trial kept out the best evidence on that subject, unless Mr. Snipes was willing to give up his invaluable right not to be compelled to be a witness against himself. (At trial, no one testified directly about where Mr. Snipes made his home during 2000, 2001 or 2002.20) Yet a person cannot be compelled to sacrifice his Fifth Amendment rights in order to enforce another. See Simmons v. United States, 390 U.S. 377, 389-94, 88 S.Ct. 967 (1968).
(footnotes omitted)

In Simmons, the Supreme Court held that the testimony of a defendant at a pre-trial suppression hearing could not be admitted at his later trial. In other words, the defendant's assertion of his 4th Amendment rights could not be used as evidence against him under the 5th Amendment.

But what Snipes is arguing is the reverse of Simmons. In Simmons, the defendant was entitled to a pre-trial hearing, and his testimony at that hearing could not be used at trial. Snipes is arguing that, because his testimony should not be used at trial, he should also be entitled to a pre-trial hearing. But that doesn't necessarily follow, and I'm not sure that the 11th Circuit is going to create a new procedural requirement for Snipes's benefit.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Sorry for the delay guys, I've been in Central and South America for the past two weeks (currently in Colombia) with little / no internet or blackberry signal. Egads... The horror...

The gov's response:

http://www.cheatingfrenzy.com/respbailpending.pdf
Demo.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Demosthenes wrote:Sorry for the delay guys, I've been in Central and South America for the past two weeks (currently in Colombia) with little / no internet or blackberry signal. Egads... The horror...

The gov's response:

http://www.cheatingfrenzy.com/respbailpending.pdf
I thought it was a good response. What do people think is the likelihood of bail? I think its possible considering the wide latitude he was given in the past.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Q Continuum

Post by Q Continuum »

Just read the motions. Looks like it is just simply there to piss the judge off.

More of the same'ol yack yack.

Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Snipes got permission from the judge to travel to London for three days on July 14, 2008 to do post production editing on his Gallowalker movie. He also was allowed to travel to Bangkok, Thailand on September 8, 2008 for eight weeks to film a new movie. This puts him back in the states on November 4th.

So why was Snipes attending a $20,000,000 party in Dubai on November 20th?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/ar ... 2.DTL&o=12
Demo.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Maybe Snipes swtiched over to the Julian calendar.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Demosthenes wrote:So why was Snipes attending a $20,000,000 party in Dubai on November 20th?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/ar ... 2.DTL&o=12
Are you sure that's him? Maybe they sent his double (the one they used to distract crowds during the trial) as a stand-in.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

I'm not sure which is funnier -- the story or the comment...
WESLEY SNIPES - SNIPES WILL CITE ANTI-TERRORIST WORK IN APPEAL

WESLEY SNIPES is appealing his three-year prison sentence for tax evasion, arguing his work helping to thwart terrorists makes him a national hero, according to reports.

The troubled Blade star, 45, was handed the sentence in April (08) after officials found him guilty of failing to file taxes for five years.

He is currently free pending an appeal, which will centre around his work teaching airline flight crews martial arts, following the 9/11 terrorist attacks in 2001, reports TMZ.com.

Snipes' lawyers will tell the appeal court how the actor, "quietly and without any attempt to garner publicity" worked with martial arts experts and that his efforts "helped thwart the notorious 'shoe bomb' attack by terrorist Richard Reid."

The website reports that Snipes' legal team will also argue his original trial was flawed because of improper jury instruction and the lack of a pre-trial hearing.

Comments
screen name:
Luis Ewing ( 1)
posted on 06/12/2008 15:40

comments:I was a former pen pal with Wesley Snipes until his legal team cut off our communication for fear that I would beat his case PRE-TRIAL and take away their golden goose. I offered to do his case for FREE and would have beat his case on my paperwork alone. I could beat his case hands down! Sincerely Luis Ewing. PS -- Go see my 2 new websites: <www.luisewing.com> and <www.ultimateusers.com>
Demo.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

I saw that on TMZ yesterday. It was pretty funny when they presented it, too. But, that doesn't solve the bigger problem: Where's my Harvey and his Big Gulp? He's left the kids with the Holy Green Marker all week and I feel so empty inside.

Anyway, I didn't post it here because...well, I try not to trust appellate news from celebrity gossip shows.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

While TMZ may be a gossip show, it was accurate in its description. From the appellate brief:
For example, a witness testified and described in a letter how Mr. Snipes, quietly and without any attempt to garner publicity or personal gain, had joined with a small group of martial arts experts after 9/11/01 to train commercial flight crews to defend themselves in the event of further terrorist attacks. This training helped thwart the notorious "shoe bomb" attack by terrorist Richard Reed. Tr. 4/24:109-11. Yet the court below did not even mention it when discussing pertinent sentencing factors. See RE461:216-22.
http://www.cheatingfrenzy.com/snipesappeal.pdf

It should have been spelled Richard Reid.

What makes the story funny is that passengers - not the Snipes trained flight crew - subdued the shoe bomber.

From Wikipedia:
Passengers on flight 63 complained of a smoke smell in the cabin shortly after a meal service. One flight attendant, Hermis Moutardier, walked the aisles of the plane, trying to assess the source. She found Reid, who was sitting alone near a window and attempting to light a match. Moutardier warned him that smoking was not allowed on the airplane; Reid promised to stop. A few minutes later, Moutardier found Reid leaned over in his seat; her attempts to get his attention failed. After asking "What are you doing?" Reid grabbed at her, revealing one shoe in his lap, a fuse which led into the shoe, and a lit match. She tried grabbing Reid twice, but he pushed her to the floor each time, and she screamed for help. When another flight attendant, Cristina Jones, arrived to try to subdue him, he fought her and bit her thumb. The 6 foot 4 inch (193 cm) Reid was eventually subdued by other passengers on the airliner, using plastic handcuffs, seatbelt extensions, and headphone cords. One doctor administered Valium found in the flight kit of the aircraft.
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

From The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:
During the flight, the suspect, who was sitting behind the wing in the coach section of the Boeing 767, lighted a match but put it in his mouth when confronted by flight attendant Hermis Moutardier, according to an FBI affidavit.

She told the captain and returned to see Reid with a match held to the tongue of his sneaker, then noticed a wire protruding from the shoe. She tried to grab the sneaker, but Reid allegedly pushed her to the floor, and she screamed for help.

Another flight attendant, Cristina Jones, intervened, and the 6-foot-4 Reid bit her, authorities said.

"He bit Ms. Jones on the thumb, and Ms. Moutardier threw water in his face," FBI agent Margaret G. Cronin said in the statement.

Passengers subdued the man, some taking off their belts to strap him into his seat, officials said. Two doctors used drugs from the airplane's medical kit to sedate him.
Demo.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Is it possible that Snipes is confusing what happened on flight 63 with what happened to Passenger 57?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

The passengers who restrained Reid were trained by watching Passenger 57. Or maybe it was Under Seige 2.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

It's all a coverup. What actually happened was that Chuck Norris detected the bomb with his super karate senses, so he wound up his catapult and threw himself into the sky. He landed on top of the plane, punched a hole, dropped in, and chopped the fuse off the bomber's shoe just as it burned down. Then he tied the bomber's limbs in a square knot, and sat down to watch the movie. It was supposed to be "Love Actually" but it changed over to "Missing in Action", followed by "Missing in Action II".
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4