Brown sentencing April 24th

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Trippy

Ed really is bats**t crazy

Post by Trippy »

Ed Brown wrote:"Our position will be that no matter what they say we will no longer pay attention to them," Ed Brown said, adding that the couple have been returning all the mail they've received from the government.
And if that doesn't convince anyone of Ed's fundamental instability, perhaps this website will:

http://www.makethestand.com

The website's registration information is private. Very convenient, considering it's advocating armed resistance to the government. :roll:
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

On Monday, Ed Brown said his wife, who earned most of the couple's income, wouldn't attend the proceedings on Tuesday.

"I speak for her. You speak to the head. You don't speak to the woman. That's the way it was until the last decade or so," Brown said.
Oh... my... god. The US Marshalls won't have to go up there and haul his butt out. I'd be more than happy to drag his wrinkly sexist behind out of that house, tie him to the back of my Honda and have him drag behind the car all the way from Plainfield NH to Monier's front stoop. Free of charge. But I won't explain the bruises or broken bones.

Remember folks, nothing's more embarrassing to a militia man than having your butt whooped by a woman 1/2 your size.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Re: Ed really is bats**t crazy

Post by Demosthenes »

Trippy wrote:www.makethestand.com

The website's registration information is private.
They wasted their money on private registration. It's owned and run by Shaun A. Kranish.
Rockford Register Star (Illinois)

July 30, 2006 Sunday

RVC student pushes for right-to-carry guns
Jeff Kolkey Rockford Register Star

ROCKFORD Ask Shaun Kranish how many guns he owns and he is unlikely to give you an answer.

The 21-year-old Rockford man views that as a personal question.

It's probably a safe bet Kranish owns more than the one that was confiscated by police in May. He was carrying it in a holster strapped to his right thigh as he shopped with his girlfriend at the mall.

Founding a Web-based organization called ICarry.org, a lawsuit he filed against Rock Valley College, and getting arrested twice in 10 months has catapulted Kranish into a somewhat prominent spotlight among Second Amendment activists in Illinois.

Although guarded and private in many ways, Kranish is developing a habit of calling attention to himself and his cause.

"We don't get our rights from the government," Kranish said. "We are endowed with them when we are created as human beings. The Bill of Rights is there to protect them and prevent the government from infringing or denying those rights ... our right is to not only keep, or own, but to bear, which is to carry arms."

Not in Illinois, say law enforcement officials.

Officials from the Winnebago County state's attorney's office, Illinois State Police and even the National Rifle Association say Illinois law is clear: It is one of two states that don't have any provision allowing regular citizens to carry guns.

Illinois State Police Lt. Lincoln Hampton said police like current state law because they know who should have guns and who should not.

"In Illinois, you can't carry a weapon on your person at all," Hampton said, noting the law allows workers doing some jobs to be armed with training and certification. "Putting a gun in a little pouch or carrier, or even having it unloaded does not make it legal to carry."

Gun support grows

There were just 10 states with right-to- carry gun laws in 1987, according to the National Rifle Association. Today, 40 states have provisions that allow regular citizens to carry guns and two of those don't require a permit. Eight more states have laws allowing residents to carry guns with restrictions based on police discretion and limited permits.

Illinois and Wisconsin are the only two that don't offer some form of permit that would allow carrying firearms. Several cities, including Chicago, have laws that are more restrictive.

Peter Hamm of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence said there is no question that gun control advocates have suffered setbacks. He attributes that to a powerful gun rights lobby that often has the ear of rural legislators and a core of passionate gun owners who are willing to contribute lots of cash to their cause.

"Is the issue dead? I say no, because people keep dying. This issue has been fiercely debated in America for 100 years, and it unfortunately will continue to be debated for another 100 years," Hamm said.

The majority of Illinois law enforcement officials oppose an armed populace, said Limey Nargelenas, deputy director of the Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police.

"It reduces the number of guns police officers have to face on the streets whether an individual can possess them legally or not," Nargelenas said.

Gun activist born

Kranish said he did not grow up around guns. His parents didn't own any when he was a youngster.

He got his first gun at age 18, he said, because he wanted protection as he worked late at night operating an Internet cafe in Rockford.

He said he then was angered to learn that legal gun owners could not carry a loaded gun for protection in Illinois when they can in other states. He established the ICarry.org Web site in September to advocate for strengthening Second Amendment gun rights in Illinois.

"When you set up a gun-free zone, what you are doing is creating a criminal-friendly zone or victim disarmament zone," Kranish said. "You are encouraging bad guys to commit crimes there because they know they won't meet resistance."

The effectiveness of right- to-carry laws on reducing violent crime is difficult to discern because just about every study is countered by the other side of the debate.

The National Rifle Association says states with right-to-carry laws have on average reduced crime rates, while gun control advocates counter that crime rates have dropped nationally and there is no evidence it is because of looser gun restrictions.

Kranish began wearing what Rock Valley College police reports describe as similar to a police officer's black tactical holster strapped to his thigh with a Velcro flap. Because Rock Valley rules prohibit guns on campus and because state law prohibits guns on state-supported property, he did not carry a gun there.

Wearing the empty holster to school symbolized the disarmament of Illinois residents and provoked conversations about gun rights with fellow Rock Valley students, he said.

But Kranish was armed when he would go out to other public places.

"I don't believe any other human being on this Earth was given the job to protect me," Kranish said. "It's not just a matter of self-defense, it's a matter of freedom."

Busted Part I

Kranish wants people to be able to carry guns not only in public but also at his school. He walked into Rock Valley College President Jack Becherer's office on Oct. 11 to schedule an appointment to talk about the topic.

The black holster alarmed Becherer's secretary. She thought he might be armed, especially since he had "I Carry" printed on his jacket. According to police reports, she attempted not to stare at the holster as she tried to determine whether he had a gun.

She told him he should take up his conversation over gun policy with the campus police chief.

After Kranish left for the public safety building, the secretary called the cops to tell them someone might be on campus with a gun.

He was arrested for disturbing the peace after reaching the college police department and being questioned, a charge the Winnebago County state's attorney's office authorized but later dropped because it determined there was insufficient evidence, said Chuck Prorock, first deputy state's attorney.

Kranish filed a $1.5 million civil rights lawsuit in federal court alleging he was wrongfully arrested and his right of free speech among other rights was violated.

"I didn't have a gun on campus because they have a rule against it," Kranish said. "I wore (the holster) on campus as a statement of my beliefs."

Although college officials won't say much because of the pending litigation, they don't feel an armed student body would make for a safe campus.

"An environment of safety for students, faculty and everyone is critical on a college campus, and that is why we have a public safety department," Becherer said.

A status hearing is pending in early August.

Busted Part II

In May, Kranish got arrested again, this time on a felony charge.

He was carrying when he went shopping at CherryVale Mall. He had a semi-automatic pistol inside the holster, unloaded with an ammunition magazine ready in a compartment on the holster.

Cherry Valley Police Chief Gary Maitland said Kranish had modified the holster by having material sewn over it so the gun could not be viewed in plain sight. But it was visible enough to alarm CherryVale security guards.

They stopped Kranish and held him until police arrived.

This time he was arrested and the state's attorney's office authorized a charge of unlawful use of a weapon. Kranish said prosecutors later upgraded the charge to aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, indicating they plan to argue Kranish was carrying a concealed handgun.

The Gun Owners of America and the Champaign County Rifle Association have chipped in $500 each toward Kranish's legal bills.

"You wait and see, he will come out ahead in that deal because he wasn't doing anything illegal," said Roger Dorsett, past president of the Champaign association. "He went about it the right way, he wasn't doing anything wrong."

Illinois law

Kranish and his lawyer argue that if he was transporting the gun properly it is legal for him to have it in his holster.

Illinois law stipulates it is illegal to carry or possess a firearm in public. But it can be transported legally if it is broken down into a non-functioning state; is not immediately accessible; or is "unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box or other container by a person with ... a valid Firearm Owners Identification Card."

Kranish's case could come down to whether or not the courts buy his argument that his holster satisfies what the law means by a "case."

Maitland said the gun was unloaded, a magazine in another pouch of the holster. Even though it was unloaded, he said the law doesn't permit people to carry guns strapped to their legs, no matter how much they may argue that a holster with a piece of cloth sewed over it is a container.

"If you are proficient in loading a semiautomatic handgun, you can have it loaded and ready to go in a second, maybe two, but certainly very quickly," Maitland said. "You can't walk into a store with a gun in a holster. He contends it's a container, we contend it's a holster."

Whether the holster is a container or not could be what decides the outcome of the case.

"The first time, it was not a gun issue as much as a freedom of speech issue," Kranish said.

"The second was a perfect, shining example of how ... an Illinois gun owner is victimized for owning a gun. The safest way to not get arrested is not to own a gun, and that is not acceptable."

AT ISSUE

Rock Valley College officials say their policy against weapons is meant to keep the campus safe:

"Weapons and explosives: No person shall possess, store, or carry any firearms, other dangerous and deadly weapons, or explosives openly or concealed, except for those persons officially authorized ... on any property the college may own or lease."

RVC Student Handbook Rule No. 27

Kranish says he wanted to discuss the policy with college officials when he was arrested in October:

"Kranish decided to ... express his strong belief based on the Constitution in general, statistics, human rights, the beliefs of the founding fathers of this country, and the Second Amendment to the Constitution in particular, and common sense and logic that governmental policies against self-defense are immoral and quite possibly the gravest threat to public safety."

Federal civil rights lawsuit

Right to carry

2 States allow residents to carry guns without any permit Alaska and Vermont.

38 States issue citizens permits to carry firearms based on uniform standards.

8 States have a form of right-to-carry permitting process, but issuing the permits is often at the discretion of law enforcement officials.

2 States don't allow citizens to carry a loaded gun Wisconsin and Illinois

Illinois Gun Law: It is illegal to carry loaded guns in Illinois, but they can be transported if the weapons are broken down in a nonfunctioning state; or are not immediately accessible; or are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card.
Last edited by Demosthenes on Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Re: Ed really is bats**t crazy

Post by Imalawman »

Demosthenes wrote:
Trippy wrote:www.makethestand.com

The website's registration information is private.
They wasted their money on private registration. It's owned and run by Shaun A. Kranish.
you're one scary cat...[/quote]
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Chronology of the Browns' case
Monitor staff

April 24. 2007 8:00AM

1996: Ed and Elaine Brown pay federal income taxes for the last time.

1998: Browns stop filing tax returns with the IRS.

2003: IRS agents and postal inspectors search Elaine Brown's dental office, seizing financial records.

May 24, 2006: The Browns are arrested at their Plainfield home and arraigned for a series of tax and financial crimes. Elaine Brown, the couple's breadwinner, is charged with 17 felonies. Ed Brown, who earned no income, is charged with three felonies.

Jan. 9, 2007: The Browns' trial begins. The couple represent themselves.

Jan. 12: Both Browns fail to appear in court.

Jan. 13: Via e-mails, Ed Brown says he will not return to court and warns that the situation could turn into "another Waco."

Jan. 16: Elaine Brown returns to court alone, accepts the help of a lawyer and appears close to reaching a plea deal with prosecutors. She is released on bail into her son's custody and is instructed not to return to her Plainfield home.

Jan. 17: Elaine Brown rejects the plea deal, and the trial resumes in Ed Brown's absence.

Jan. 18: The jury finds both Browns guilty of all counts on the indictment. Elaine is released on the same bail conditions.

Feb. 8: Ed Brown begins appearing on a daily internet radio show called Ed Brown Under Siege. He has appeared on the show most weekdays since.

Feb. 20: Elaine violates her bail conditions and returns to her home.

March 12: The Browns announce that they have met "The Body of the Lord" and describe a new set of religious views.

March 19: The Browns take in a friend with terminal cancer. The next day, they call 911, reporting a morphine overdose. The friend dies a few days later at the hospital.

April 4: The Browns instruct the court to close their case and dismiss all charges, indicating that they are "the court" and "judge." The Browns sign these and other filings using new names, Ed, a Living Soul in the Body of the Lord, of the House of Israel, and Elaine, a Living Soul in the Body of the Lord, of the House of Israel. McAuliffe rejects these orders as frivolous and misleading.

April 21: The prosecutor files a sentencing memo recommending a sentence of 78 months or more for Elaine Brown and 87 months or more for Ed Brown.

Today: The Browns are scheduled for sentencing.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

From a local NH blogger.
April 24, 2007
Spring is here, and the nuts are in full bloom...

Just down the road from me, in Plainfield, NH, we have our own "Ruby Ridge" going on. This anti-government whackjob got caught playing games with taxes and other financial reporting laws, and got his ass indicted. He decided to play the classic 2-year-old's defense tactic of "I don't see you, I don't believe in you, so you can't do anything to me" and said he didn't recognize the government's authority, then barricaded himself in his home. His wife was arrested, released after promising not to rejoin her husband in his little play-fort, and promptly ran right back to him.

Well, they've been tried and convicted in absentia, and it looks like they'll get sentenced the same way today.

Ed Brown says that the government is out to get him, and that the woods are surrounded by snipers and other government enforcers just looking to take his freedom away from him. (There might also be black helicopters involved.)

The US marshal begs to differ. He says they're keeping a casual eye on the Brown home, and will arrest the couple if they get the chance, but they're in no great rush to lock 'em up.

To me, this is a perfect chance to test Molly Ivins' proposed solution to the Branch Davidian standoff in Waco, Texas. Ivins proposed simply building a big fence around the compound and declaring it a federal prison.

That strikes the perfect balance in the situation. The government can't just ignore those who flout the law, but on the other hand the Bill Clinton/Janet Reno solution is -- if you'll pardon the grotesque phrase -- "overkill."

The most important thing here is to not let them become martyrs. Don't dismiss them, but don't take them too seriously either.

In fact, here's a thought: under the Ivins plan, the Brown home would become a federal prison. To convey the proper attitude, the prison should have some insulting, derogatory, and humorous official name. "The Ed Brown Penal Institute" comes to mind, especially if properly abbreviated into "Brown-I."

Readers are invited to contribute their own nominations for the name. Should the government come to its senses and follow the Ivins plan, I will cheerfully forward them to the Bureau of Prisons.
The comments are a fun read, too.

http://wizbangblog.com/2007/04/24/sprin ... -bloom.php
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

63 months in prison for Elaine plus 3 years supervised release.
Kimokeo

Post by Kimokeo »

Would it be cheaper to arrest them and put them in jail or would it be cheaper to arrest them and keep them in their house?

I'm guessing that the upkeep of their home comes out of their pocket. We just pay for the guards.

BTW, I heard Wilson Goode of Philadelphia fame has a suggestion on how to get them out.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Demosthenes wrote:63 months in prison for Elaine plus 3 years supervised release.
I'll stick with my earlier characterization of the judge - he has the backbone of an overcooked linguini noodle.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Ed Brown got the same 63 month sentenced. There is no justice.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Demosthenes wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:Ed Brown got the sentence as Elaine: 63 months. There is no justice.
Just had to hit 10,000, huh?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Trippy

8-|

Post by Trippy »

Demosthenes wrote:They wasted their money on private registration. It's owned and run by Shaun A. Kranish.
:shock: All hail Demosthenes, the all-knowing, all-seeing ... Remind me NEVER to get into a pissing contest with you. :wink: Besides, we all love ya too much.

P.S. You are absolutely right. There is no justice; this judge has the backbone of a snake.

And who wants to bet the pansy-a**ed U.S. marshal does nothing to make sure they actually serve these sentences? Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.
Last edited by Trippy on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demosthenes

Re: 8-|

Post by Demosthenes »

Trippy wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:They wasted their money on private registration. It's owned and run by Shaun A. Kranish.
:shock: All hail Demosthenes, the all-knowing, all-seeing ... Remind me NEVER to get into a pissing contest with you. :wink: Besides, we all love ya too much.
As much as I'd like to take credit, the idiot who runs the site signs his posts with his full name...
Last edited by Demosthenes on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trippy

Re: 8-|

Post by Trippy »

Demosthenes wrote:As much as I'd like to take credit, the idiot who runs the site signs his posts with his full name...
:oops: As a former editor and writer, you think I would have noticed that. :oops:
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Plainfield Tax Evaders Sentenced To 63 Months In Prison
Couple Remain In Fortified Compound

POSTED: 12:20 pm EDT April 24, 2007
UPDATED: 2:35 pm EDT April 24, 2007

CONCORD, N.H. -- A judge on Tuesday sentenced convicted tax evaders Ed and Elaine Brown to five years and three months in prison each for concealing earnings and failing to pay federal income tax on nearly $2 million of income.

The Browns didn't show up at the federal courthouse in Concord to receive their sentences. The Browns are holed up in their fortress-like compound in Plainfield and said they will stay there despite convictions or arrest warrants.

The Browns, who have defended themselves through criticism of the government and conspiracy theories, stopped attending their trial halfway through it. Elaine Brown returned to court at the end for her conviction. Ed Brown remained on their 110-acre hilltop retreat that features a watchtower that offers 360-degree views of the rural setting.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Huh? No penalty for threats or breaking parole?

I hope the cops can get them out without anyone getting hurt.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
webhick

Post by webhick »

grixit wrote:Huh? No penalty for threats or breaking parole?
I'm outraged. Absolutely outraged. Well, I would be if this light sentence wasn't obviously being used to make the judge look better in light of earlier comments about Elaine possibly dying in prison.
grixit wrote:I hope the cops can get them out without anyone getting hurt.
I don't. I want them to come out with bean bag bruises, blood blisters, and broken egos. Nothing more serious than that, though.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

webhick wrote: Well, I would be if this light sentence wasn't obviously being used to make the judge look better in light of earlier comments about Elaine possibly dying in prison.
Those comments were made by a different judge.
webhick

Post by webhick »

Demosthenes wrote:
webhick wrote: Well, I would be if this light sentence wasn't obviously being used to make the judge look better in light of earlier comments about Elaine possibly dying in prison.
Those comments were made by a different judge.
My stupidity is showing :)
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Well, it’s no secret that I've not been happy with the decision to let them give the finger to the legal system. Now, the cycle is complete. You can flout the law, every court rule, file frivolous motions and lawsuits, threaten government officials with violence, and generally make an ass of yourself and you won't get punished for it.

I sincerely hope the Marshalls go in and get them before the week is out. This is getting rigoshdarndiculous.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown