How will the Ed & Elaine show end?

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.

How will the Ed & Elaine show end?

Total votes: 0

notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

CaptainKickback wrote: Bonus - the folks who named England came from a Low Germanic area, from an angle of land, an ang-land if you will.
Specifically, the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes, which is why olde English is more olde German than English. Useless bit of trivia for the day.

We now return to our regularly scheduled utter silliness.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Here's the link to the other audio blog. It is far more hate filled and threatening than the link posted earlier.

http://dougkenline234.hipcast.com/downl ... c2b0c5.mp3
AFTP
The Voice of a Free Quatloosia

Post by AFTP »

Demosthenes wrote:Here's the link to the other audio blog. It is far more hate filled and threatening than the link posted earlier.

http://dougkenline234.hipcast.com/downl ... c2b0c5.mp3
I agree with him about not getting earned military benefits.
I got an honorable discharge and couldn’t get any benefits because of cuts!
Whenever you hear a man speak of his love for his Country, it is a sign he expects to be paid for it. – H. L. Mencken

Death and Taxes. Ya Think?
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how a "former paratrooper" from Desert Storm couldn't tell the difference between black helicopters hovering overhead for 15 minutes, and a Cessna plane.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Chute didn't open properly -- landed on his head.

Plus, as an ex-paratrooper friend of mine said, "There is something inherently wrong with anyone who voluntarily jumps out of a perfectly good airplane."
Last edited by Nikki on Fri May 04, 2007 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Just because someone can jump out of something, doesn't mean:

That they can identify the things they jump out of.
That they can identify it at a distance.
That they were actually intelligent.
That the reason they were jumping out of aircraft was because they *weren't* expendable.

As my boyfriend (ex-marine) always said - there's a reason they always send us in first :)
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
The Dog
First Mate
First Mate

Post by The Dog »

CaptainKickback wrote:Technically, Great Britain consists of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland. Great Britain also has a number of small islands and territories under its control - Isle of Man, The Orkney Islands, The Falkland Islands, etc.

In common street vernacular, people will use Great Britain, England and Britain interchangably even though Great Britain and England are not the same thing.

Bonus - the folks who named England came from a Low Germanic area, from an angle of land, an ang-land if you will.
Really pedantic point, Great Britain is the island upon which I live and comprises the mainland parts of England, Scotland and Wales. Together with Northern Ireland and various offshore islands (including the Orkneys, but not the Isle of Man which has its own legislature) they form the United Kingdom (of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, often shortened to "Britain"). However, you are right to observe that even here people do use the various terms interchangeably. It particularly vexes the Welsh and the Scots.
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

The Dog wrote:Together with Northern Ireland and various offshore islands (including the Orkneys, but not the Isle of Man which has its own legislature) they form the United Kingdom (of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, often shortened to "Britain"). However, you are right to observe that even here people do use the various terms interchangeably. It particularly vexes the Welsh and the Scots.
I have also heard several people insist upon being called "English" to differentiate themselves from their oat-eating neighbors. I always suspected they were just self-hating Scots. :-)
The Dog
First Mate
First Mate

Post by The Dog »

Lambkin wrote: I have also heard several people insist upon being called "English" to differentiate themselves from their oat-eating neighbors. I always suspected they were just self-hating Scots. :-)
A Song Of Patriotic Prejudice
(By Michael Flanders & Donald Swann - see the self reference in the last verse).

The English, the English, the English are best:
I wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest!

The rottenest bits of these islands of ours,
We've left in the hands of three unfriendly powers,
Examine the Irishman, Welshman or Scot,
you'll find he's a stinker or not.

The Scotsman is mean, as we 're all well aware,
And bony and blotchy and covered with hair,
He eats salted porridge, he works all the day,
And he hasn't got bishops to show him the way.

The English; the English, the English are best:
I wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest!

The Irishman, now, our contempt is beneath,
He sleeps in his boots and he lies in his teeth,
He blows up policemen (or so I have heard),
And blames it on Cromwell and William the Third.

The English are noble, the English are nice,
And worth any other at double the price!

The Welshman's dishonest, he cheats when he can,
And little and dark, more like monkey than man,
He works underground with a lamp in his hat,
And he sings far too loud, far too often, and
FLA-A-A-T.

And crossing the Channel, one cannot say much,
For the French or the Spanish, the Danish or Dutch;
The Germans are German, the Russians are Red,
And the Greeks and Italians eat garlic in bed.

The English are moral, the English are good,
And clever and modest and misunderstood!

And all the world over, each nation's the same,
They've simply no notion of Playing the Game:
They argue with umpires; they cheer when they've won;
And they practise beforehand, which ruins the fun!

The English, the English, the English are best:
So up with the English, and down with the rest!

It's not that they're wicked or naturally bad ...
It's knowing they're FOREIGN that makes them so mad!
For the English are all that a nation should be,
And the flower of the English are Donald
(Michael!) and me!!

Do I hear rain and warm beer?
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Lambkin wrote:
The Dog wrote:Together with Northern Ireland and various offshore islands (including the Orkneys, but not the Isle of Man which has its own legislature) they form the United Kingdom (of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, often shortened to "Britain"). However, you are right to observe that even here people do use the various terms interchangeably. It particularly vexes the Welsh and the Scots.
I have also heard several people insist upon being called "English" to differentiate themselves from their oat-eating neighbors. I always suspected they were just self-hating Scots. :-)
The Amish of Pennsylvania (often called the Pennsylvania Dutch) refer to outsiders as "the English."
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

This thread has drifted off-topic, and is close to the magic 100 posting mark, so I'm going to lock it down now.

I am sure that there will be another EdElaine thread once something else happens (or doesn't happen).
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.