Gregory Williams ("taxfool") sentenced

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Gregory Williams ("taxfool") sentenced

Post by Famspear »

Remember “taxfool,” Gregory J. Williams, the tax protester who repented?

See:

http://taxfool.net/

and:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2292

Williams was sentenced today, 26 January 2009…….
United States District Court
Eastern District of Tennessee

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
v.
GREGORY J. WILLIAMS
JUDGMENT IN A CRIMINAL CASE

[Case 1:08-CR-64-001]

[ . . . ]

[Court’s notation of guilty plea by defendant on one count in the information]

[ . . . ] the court has adjudicated that the defendant is guilty of the following offense(s):

[ . . . ]

26 U.S.C. § 7206(1) Tax Fraud 4/15/05 One

[ . . . ]

R. Allan Edgar
United States District Judge
January 26, 2009

[ . . . ]

PROBATION

The defendant is hereby placed on probation for a term of 3 years.

The defendant shall not commit another federal, state, or local crime.

The defendant shall not unlawfully possess a controlled substance. The defendant shall refrain from any unlawful use of a controlled substance. The defendant shall submit to one drug test within 15 days of placement on probation and at least two periodic drug tests thereafter, as determined by the court.

[ x ] The above drug testing condition is suspended, based on the court's determination that the defendant poses a low risk of future substance abuse. (Check, if applicable.)

[ x ] The defendant shall not possess a firearm, destructive device, or any other dangerous weapon. (Check, if applicable.)

[ x ] The defendant shall cooperate in the collection of DNA as directed by the probation officer. (Check, if applicable.)

[text of other boxes not checked not reproduced here...]

[ . . . ]
(bolding added).
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Nikki

Re: Gregory Williams ("taxfool") sentenced

Post by Nikki »

Three years probation :!:

I'm impessed.

Obviously he came clean, cooperated, and paid up all the past due + penalties + interest.

[snide=on]With any luck, given the new Secretary of the Treasury, he's got a good shot at a pardon before the end of the current asministration[snide=off]

Seriously, I wish him all the best and hope that, somehow, he can assist in castrating The Great One.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

I sent him a congratulatory message, via his web site.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

I don't see any fine imposed. I did not reproduce the entire Judgment, but I do note these special conditions of probation in the Judgment:
The defendant shall continue to pay any financial obligations he has with the IRS.

The defendant shall provide the probation officer with access to any requested financial information.

The defendant shall not incur new credit charges on existing accounts or apply for any additional lines of credit without permission of the probation officer until his IRS obligation has been paid in full. In addition, the defendant shall not enter into any contractual agreements which obligate funds without the permission of the probation officer.

The defendant shall be placed on home detention for a period of 4 months, to commence within 30 days of this Judgment Order. During this time, the defendant shall remain at his place of residence except for employment and other activities approved in advance by the probation officer. The defendant shall maintain a telephone at his place of residence without any "call forwarding,” "Caller ID,” "call waiting,” modems, answering machines, cordless telephones or other special services for the above period. The defendant shall wear an electronic device and shall observe the rules specified by the Probation Office. The defendant is to pay for this service at the prevailing rate.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_143360.asp

Reformed Tax Protestor Gets Probation
January 26, 2009

A Chattanooga psychologist who prosecutors said had recanted his views about refusing to pay federal taxes was granted probation on Monday in Federal Court.

Prosecutors said psychologist Gregory Williams has paid back a sizable portion of the $158,665 in taxes and interest he owed and is expected to be a key witness for the government against a tax protest leader in Washington, D.C.

They also said Dr. Williams has set up a website, Tax-Fool.net, warning others not to join the tax protest movement.

Judge Al Edgar told Dr. Williams, "There is no law that says you can avoid paying your taxes. There's no excuse for not paying taxes."

He said since Dr. Williams had made an "180-degree" shift in his views on taxes, that he would be granted probation.

Judge Edgar said, "Most tax protesters who have gotten to this point are incorrigible."

Dr. Williams "asked for mercy" in behalf of his patients, saying some are suicidal and others are mentally ill and they depend on him for weekly consultations.

He also said he supports two adopted children.

His attorney, Gary Gerbitz, said after the charges were brought that he was removed from the provider list by Magellan Health Services. He said that cut his income by 50 percent and caused him to put his house and other assets on the market.

The attorney said Dr. Williams was introduced to the tax protest movement by his aunt. She brought individuals from Global Prosperity to his house to discuss their views, and he afterwards sent documents to the IRS listing his income as zero.

He later was active in the Patriot Network, including setting up a Chattanooga chapter.

He was arrested after federal agents raided his house and office on Feb. 21, 2007.
Demo.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Prosecutors said psychologist Gregory Williams has paid back a sizable portion of the $158,665 in taxes and interest he owed and is expected to be a key witness for the government against a tax protest leader in Washington, D.C.
Could it be that The Great One is going to have his knees cut out from under him?
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

The Great One isn't in the DC area. He's in South Carolina.

Eddie Kahn's new criminal case is in DC and Kotmair is located in Maryland.
Demo.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

My bad

Patriot Network = Kotmair

But why go after him? He's enjoined and the web site is defunct.

Is DoJ going after cheap, easy wins instead of following up with Hansen or more difficult cases like going after some of the louder mouths: Bob, Dave, or Peymon?
Weathervane

Post by Weathervane »

Nikki wrote:Is DoJ going after cheap, easy wins instead of following up with Hansen or more difficult cases like going after some of the louder mouths: Bob, Dave, or Peymon?
...or Geitner?