Pseudo-acquittal

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
unasI'minous

Pseudo-acquittal

Post by unasI'minous »

Hi all,

Heard a rumor about a sentencing in the South somewhere where the Judge made some comment about the new Treasury Secretary and then sentenced the evader to probation when guidelines were much higher. I don't know if it was a TD or not but anticipate that the "movement" will latch on to the obvious rationalization opportunity.

If the rumor is true, although I suspect it is not, I suggest we all move to that district, quit paying taxes, and take our chances that we get that Judge assigned to our case. We could really increase our chances for success if in the event we get the wrong Judge, we just file a 1099-OID for $359,000,000 against the assigned Judge to conflict them right out of there! Or we could try the hand-out-W-9-form-to-all-the-parties-in-the-courtroom idea to intimidate them into dismissing the case. That one works every time. At least, it worked for my friend's friend. He's a great legal mind; learned a lot from self-study; but he's very private, and difficult to reach, you shouldn't even try.

Anyway, does anyone have any info regarding the rumored sentencing?
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: Pseudo-acquittal

Post by wserra »

unasI'minous wrote:Anyway, does anyone have any info regarding the rumored sentencing?
Yeah. I heard that the judge's name was Crater, and the defendant's name was Van der Decken.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

A friend of mine just interviewed with the IRS for a litigation position and he was asked what he thought about Geithner (sp?) and his not paying taxes. He wasn't sure what so say. I thought that was an odd thing to ask in an interview.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

The fact is, the leader of the entity responsible for collection of taxes and enforcement of the law is now headed by someone who "got away" with something the average Joe might not be able to. This simply adds to the cynicism that is endemic when it comes to a growing number of frustrated taxpayers.

Having said that, my sense is any defense counsel who raises the Geithner issue is in for a rebuke in most courtrooms, but I firmly believe it is within a Judge's discretion to consider the "treatment" that has been given Geithner and Daschle when it comes to sentencing.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
unasI'minous

Post by unasI'minous »

CaptainKickback wrote:For the record, if you are being sentenced, even if a slap on the wrist, it is NOT an acquittal. If you are being sentenced you were found guilty. Period. Part of your permanent record.
Boy thanks, Captain. I thought the sentencing happened prior to jury selection. :) In hindsight "Pseudo-conviction" would have made more sense but I didn't stop to ponder.

Hair splitting aside, I would venture to guess that the prosecutor and investigator(s) aren't really counting this in the big win column. To me, probation amounts to acquittal in that having a tax crime as a part of your permanent record might actually be a positive to some of these dweebs, giving them some sort of twisted TD street cred. That's assuming, of course, that the dweeb in question is a TD. Maybe the case was just your garden variety evader. Also, I don't think the type of job for which a TD is qualified involves much of a background check.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Gotta disagree with you on this, Cap'n. The only one doing a victory dance when probation is passed down even though the guidelines call for a prison sentence is going to be the defendant.

When you're a prosector, it's not only your job to get a conviction, it's also your job to convince the judge that a suitable punishment is merited.

It's why the DOJ appeals unusually low sentences-- you don't appeal a case you've won...
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

CaptainKickback wrote:I stand corrected.
Please be seated.
Demo.
unasI'minous

Post by unasI'minous »

Wow, talk about street cred. All Demo has to do is disagree and the Cap'n capitulates? Impressive......very impressive.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

unasI'minous wrote:Wow, talk about street cred. All Demo has to do is disagree and the Cap'n capitulates? Impressive......very impressive.
Cool, huh?
Demo.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Mel Brooks wrote:It's nice to be Ki<<QUEEN
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Demosthenes wrote:
unasI'minous wrote:Wow, talk about street cred. All Demo has to do is disagree and the Cap'n capitulates? Impressive......very impressive.
Cool, huh?
I'm not sure if it's primarily because of the feline visage or, alternatively, the citrus-themed accoutrement. Of course, it could be her air of calm self-assurance, which seems to come from consistently having access to lots of interesting, relevant facts. Anyway, I think lots of the guys here are fond of the kitty.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Famspear wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:
Cool, huh?
I'm not sure if it's primarily because of the feline visage or, alternatively, the citrus-themed accoutrement. Of course, it could be her air of calm self-assurance, which seems to come from consistently having access to lots of interesting, relevant facts. Anyway, I think lots of the guys here are fond of the kitty.

Not really fond of here per se, but I'd sell all my relatives into bondage for her. :lol:
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Aw, you guys are just saying that stuff :oops: 'cause I know where you live.
Demo.
mutter

Post by mutter »

Famspear wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:
Cool, huh?
I know I am fond of kitty. i think its the visage. anyone who would do that to their cat, and the cat allowing it, should not be F'ed with. think about it boys
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

mutter wrote:think about boys
Like ten years ago, I could have gotten away with that...but I think it'd be too creepy now.

ETA: BAH! Damn you, edit button, damn you!
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

CaptainKickback wrote:No, I think Gregg just doesn't really like his relatives.......
You're right about the relatives, but it's just a coincidence. As for here, I think Scoop is a hotty, but she's also a Yalie, so I can't desire her publicly, Webhick is the cute one, kind of like Mary Ann or Bailey from WKRP, but Demo, oh my, smart, ruthless and a redhead....I have to stop, I'm hyperventilating.... :shock:
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

CaptainKickback wrote:It's a lot nicer than the person who is shown to be wrong and then ignores the fact they were wrong.

I am bigger and better than that. 8) :roll: :mrgreen:
Is that you, Clarkson?