NY TPs convicted on all counts

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

NY TPs convicted on all counts

Post by Demosthenes »

02/09/09 04:53 PM
Couple convicted for not paying income taxes
By Dan Herbeck

A couple from Allegany County who claimed it was their legal right to refuse paying income taxes was convicted of felony charges in federal court this afternoon.

Patricia O'Connor and her husband, Richard Ray Drachenberg, residents of rural Angelica who are in their late 50s, face a May 21 sentencing before District Judge Richard J. Arcara.

O'Connor was convicted of five felony counts of tax evasion and one felony count of conspiring to defraud the government. Drachenberg was convicted of the same conspiracy count, the only charge filed against him.

Criminal investigators from the Internal Revenue Service said the couple avoided paying more than $217,000 in income taxes over a 12-year period by failing to file tax returns.

Jurors rejected the couple's claim that they are "New York nationals" and not American citizens, and therefore cannot legally be forced to pay income taxes. The couple claimed they renounced their U.S. citizenship in 2001 by sending registered letters to then-President George W. Bush and other government officials.

"We believe this verdict is just and supported by the evidence," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Aaron J. Mango, who prosecuted the case with John E. Rogowski. "There are legal procedures a person can follow to renounce his or her citizenship, but those procedures were not followed by these two defendants."

Drachenberg and O'Connor, who acted as their own attorneys, showed no reaction as the verdicts were read. They declined to comment as they left the courtroom.

Under advisory sentencing guidelines, each faces a likely prison term of two years or more, court officials said.

The couple's legal argument is a "frivolous argument" that has been repeatedly rejected by courts when people attempted to use it to avoid paying taxes, Mango said.
Demo.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Re: NY TPs convicted on all counts

Post by Number Six »

A famous tp leader said NY and California were the worst states to challenge the tax authorities. Probably NH and Wyoming are the best. I warned a non-filer in NY who believed in the voluntary nature of income taxes, sending him the enforcement statistics in various categories. He had filed when I last saw him at the local arborist supply--he was in to get his chain saws serviced.
Last edited by Number Six on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Number Six wrote:A famous tp leader said NY and California were the worst states to challenge the tax authorities. Probably NH and Wyoming are the best.
Not Nevada? Texas?
Number Six wrote:I warned a non-filer in NY who believed in the voluntary nature of income taxes, sending him the enforcement statistics in various categories. He has a name shared by certain mafia toughs. He had filed when I last saw him at the local arborist supply--he was in to get his chain saws serviced.
Chain sawS?

He's a lumberjack? (I hope.)
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

LPC wrote:He's a lumberjack? (I hope.)
Does he cut down trees, wear high heels, suspenders and a bra?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

wserra wrote:
LPC wrote:He's a lumberjack? (I hope.)
Does he cut down trees, wear high heels, suspenders and a bra?
Dear Sir:

I wish to complain in the strongest terms possible about that last snide remark you made about lumberjacks.

Some of my best friends are lumberjacks and only a few of them are transvestites.

Yours In Regards,

Sir Charles Arthur Strong (Mrs)

PS I've never kissed the editor of the Radio Times.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
mutter

Post by mutter »

leave me trees alone, you bastards!

I am the Lorax I speak for the trees
I speak for the trees for the trees have no tonuges
And I am telling you all at the top of my lungs
Get the hell off my lawn you kids!
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Ahh, Mutter. You're going to do just fine on Quatloos.
Demo.