CTC, dead men walking MASS PANIC PRECICTED

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: CTC, dead men walking MASS PANIC PRECICTED

Post by Famspear »

Regarding the interpretation of legal texts, and Steve's analysis of the verbiage in Cheek regarding the Sixth Amendment, I would like to point out this provision of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code:
Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, the court may determine the amount or legality of any tax, any fine or penalty relating to a tax, or any addition to tax, whether or not previously assessed, whether or not paid, and whether or not contested [ . . . .]
---from 11 USC 505(a).

Nowhere in the Bankruptcy Code is the phrase "any tax" expressly defined as being limited to "any tax of the debtor" or "any tax of the estate." If you were to read this passage literally, a U.S. Bankruptcy Court in a case involving a Debtor in St. Paul, Minnesota could determine the amount or legality of any tax theoretically owed by anyone anywhere, even a tax owed by a Tibetan monk living on a mountain top in Asia. I recall at least one court case (can't think of it right now) where the court did indeed point out that the expansive language "any tax" is not to be interpreted literally to apply to "any tax" -- even though that's what the statute says.

I'm not saying that SteveSy's argument is a silly one -- and certainly not like my silly example. I am just illustrating that in reading legal texts, context is important.

I am saying that in his interpretation of Cheek on the Sixth Amendment, Steve is incorrect under the current law.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
SteveSy

Post by SteveSy »

See Famspear you're trying to do what the federal judges do to deny someone a fair trial. Maybe not intentionally on your part but its certainly, in my opinion, intentional on the court's part.

You automatically assume that presenting a statute upon which you formed your belief should automatically be viewed as an attempt to convince the jury the law means something. I would agree, a defendant should be barred stating what the law means. However, the defendant shouldn't be barred from showing how he arrived at his belief by reading the text of the law. The judge can be right there telling the jury the correct version and insure the defendant is not allowed to claim the law actually means this or that. It's unfathomable in a free society that a jury could not see the very law upon which you formed your belief to see if you acted willfully or not. That just reeks of a tyrannical injustice.

More importantly as a practical matter using the rule defies logic and common sense in a willfulness case. If, as you and the courts say, it's impossible to maintain a belief and not know you have a legal duty when someone is siting there who has been identified as an authoritative expert on the matter is offering the correct version. Then how could 12 people be convinced by a nobody? If he convinces them, which is supposedly impossible, then he's proven beyond a reasonable doubt he didn't act willfully. Obviously, if 12 people could be convinced or confused with a judge right there face to face telling them differently then certainly someone reading a few court cases and having the IRS disagree could equally be convinced or confused and maintain a different belief.

Where's that damn emoticon with its head banging against a wall!

The only potential issue would be that the jury might act out their new beliefs and not file or file in a way that is not acceptable. This is the only reason I agree that the jury should not be told what the law is according to the defendant but instead only view it as evidence to determine whether or not the defendant's belief was in good faith. This can be easily controlled by the judge.

By the way your comparison to murder is flawed. You don't have to know that stabbing someone to death is illegal to be convicted of murder it has nothing whatsoever to do with willfulness.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

SteveSy wrote:See Famspear you're trying to do what the federal judges do to deny someone a fair trial. Maybe not intentionally on your part but its certainly, in my opinion, intentional on the court's part.
Yes, yes, that's what I'm trying to do - and it's working! All the judges are ruling the way I tell them to rule. Bwahhh hahahaaa I have the power!
:twisted:

Oh, wait, off my meds..... Ahem..
You automatically assume that presenting a statute upon which you formed your belief should automatically be viewed as an attempt to convince the jury the law means something.
Well, no, I don't. Some defendants would try that to negate willfulness. Others would do it to try to confuse the jury or to circumvent the legal process. It depends on the defendant and his or her own motives.
I would agree, a defendant should be barred stating what the law means. However, the defendant shouldn't be barred from showing how he arrived at his belief by reading the text of the law. The judge can be right there telling the jury the correct version and insure the defendant is not allowed to claim the law actually means this or that.
Great, Steve. And I believe that a few judges do allow that, to some limited degree. It's a judgment call by the judge in each case.
It's unfathomable in a free society that a jury could not see the very law upon which you formed your belief to see if you acted willfully or not.
Oh, come on Steve, fathom it! Fathom it!
That just reeks of a tyrannical injustice.
Wow, I need to set you up with Weston White. Have you met him? He has something called the "Tyrannical Response Team."
More importantly as a practical matter using the rule defies logic and common sense in a willfulness case. If, as you and the courts say, it's impossible to maintain a belief and not know you have a legal duty when someone is siting there who has been identified as an authoritative expert on the matter is offering the correct version. Then how could 12 people be convinced by a nobody? If he convinces them, which is supposedly impossible, then he's proven beyond a reasonable doubt he didn't act willfully.
OK, before you lose me, Steve, I would like to point out that sometimes the Cheek defense works. Tommy K. Cryer is a lawyer, for heaven's sake, and he was was acquitted. You're equivocating on the word "belief." In its ordinary, every day sense, lots of tax protesters actually believe that they are correct on the law. Actually believe they are correct. An actual belief is not quite sufficient, under the Cheek doctrine. The Supreme Court has indicated that the kind of belief that negatives willfulness is an actual belief based on a misunderstanding caused by the complexity of the tax law (I'll abbreviate that to a "Cheek actual belief"). Now, I don't think the trial courts necessarily put that veribage in their instructions to the jury. But that doesn't change the basic point that if someone is convicted and appeals, a trial court could well affirm [Edit: That should read: "an appeals court could well affirm..."] the conviction by looking at the evidence presented at the trial and concluding, as a matter of law, that a reasonable jury could have concluded that the defendant's actual belief did not rise to the level of an actual belief based on a misunderstanding caused by the complexity of the tax law -- that the defendant's actual belief was really a self-inflicted delusion caused by what was, fundamentally, obdurate recalcitrance and an unwillingness to accept the law, or even a disagreement with a law of which the defendant was really aware.

Again, that's the jury's call. I didn't write the court's decision in the Cheek case, and I don't decide federal court cases myself.
Obviously, if 12 people could be convinced or confused with a judge right there face to face telling them differently then certainly someone reading a few court cases and having the IRS disagree could equally be convinced or confused and maintain a different belief.
Yep. So what?
The only potential issue would be that the jury might act out their new beliefs and not file or file in a way that is not acceptable. This is the only reason I agree that the jury should not be told what the law is according to the defendant but instead only view it as evidence to determine whether or not the defendant's belief was in good faith. This can be easily controlled by the judge.
You have my permission to make that argument to the judge if you're ever in the situation where you need to do that.
By the way your comparison to murder is flawed. You don't have to know that stabbing someone to death is illegal to be convicted of murder it has nothing whatsoever to do with willfulness.
No, you're confusing two different things. First, the reason you don't need to know that stabbing is illegal to be convicted of murder is that, in general, murder is not a "specific intent" crime. That means that the general rule applies. The general rule in criminal cases is the ignorance of the law is not a valid defense. For example, in Texas (if I recall), the mens rea element for murder is intent (conscious object or desire to engage in the conduct or cause the result) or knowledge (awareness). There is no requirement that the defendant have been aware that there is a law against murder.

By contrast, the "willfulness" mens rea element in federal tax crimes is a "specific intent" element (the term "specific intent" has more than one legal meaning, but that's a separate story). In other words, federal tax crimes are an EXCEPTION to the general rule I just described.

Second, my reference to "murder" above does not relate to the mens rea requirement at all. Instead, the discussion relates to whether a defendant in a criminal case is allowed to present, to the jury, the argument that there is really no law against murder. That argument is not permissible. You can make that argument to the judge, but not to the jury. Likewise, in a federal criminal tax case, the tax protester defendant is not allowed to present, to the jury, the argument that there is no law imposing the income tax. Indeed, neither side in a court case is allowed to present arguments about what the law is to the jury itself.

You again confused two concepts. It doesn't matter what the mens rea requirement is for murder, or for tax evasion, or for anything else. Generally, neither side in a civil or criminal case is supposed to be allowed to make arguments, TO THE JURY ITSELF, about what the law is.

I don't make the rules.
Last edited by Famspear on Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Paul

Post by Paul »

stevesy wrote:
Paul wrote:
As usual, stevesy skips right past the words that the argument is really about -- admissible evidence. And what is admissible is a matter of law, which means that is decided by whom, stevesy? Quit ignoring the words that go against you -- we've seen it too many times.
According to cheek it's everything upon which he formed his belief, that would include the law itself if that was a big part of it. Ignoring what words Paul, you pulling that out of your rear end? Show me these words I'm ignoring.
Sheeesh. I put the words he was ignoring in red, and he still ignored them. Willful ignorance.
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

The Courts have been known to use the term "willful blindness" They do not find it excuses behavior.
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I'll go out on a limb and say this is all pointless argument. For a lot of reasons, I doubt Pete tries to make a Cheek like argument, because by doing so he may win the battle (stay out of prison) but loose the war (tacitly admit that CTC is legal bunkem, cut off his cult and certainly put him in a position of never being able to use the CTC Method himself ever again without facing certain prosecution and conviction).
Pete doesn't have it in him to admit he's too thick to understand every nook and cranny of the IRC, even better than any Revenue Officer, judge, prosecutor or God himself. Pete has to maintain his own self image as the world's foremost expert on taxes, even if it means he has to go to jail and become a martyr. How does he go back to LH and explain "well, I still owe the taxes, and my legal defense centered on me not being able to comprehend the tax laws, but I'm still the worlds foremost tax expert, after all I did win in my court case!"

I don't see it. Pete fully intends to go in, fight the court on letting him explain the law to the judge, the jury, the public at large, and when he isn't allowed to do it, he'll blame a corrupt system and point out that since he was not allowed to "preach the gospel" the court was afraid to let the truth come out at trial, and that's why he lost. He's betting on them letting him post bail and dragging out the appeals until he gets a mulligen or dies of old age.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Regarding SteveSy's comments earlier in this thread -- and the response by me and other contributors, the following excerpts are from the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit in the appeal of the criminal conviction of one Wesley Willie:
[ . . . . ] [Defendant Wesley] Willie next contends that the trial court erred in prohibiting him from introducing exhibits to show the basis for his belief that he was not required to file tax returns. Willie argues that the exhibits were relevant to show the sincerity of his good faith belief that he need not file a tax return and thereby were relevant to his defense that, because of that belief, he did not willfully violate the tax laws. He further argues that Cheek v. United States, 111 S.Ct. 604 (1991), requires the admission of the exhibits for that purpose.

The exhibits in question include the Constitution, a History of Congress dated 1792, pages of the session laws, a Navajo Treaty, the Coinage Act of 1965, and letters from the defendant to the Departments of Justice and the Treasury setting forth Willie's contentions that the tax laws do not apply to him. All were denied as irrelevant and improper documents to go to the jury. We affirm the trial court's decision to exclude the documents because, due to his inadequate offer of proof, Willie has failed to preserve the issue for appeal and the court's ruling did not constitute plain error. In the alternative, we affirm the district court because the documents were unduly confusing to the jury. In the further alternative, we affirm the conviction because any error in excluding the evidence was harmless beyond a reasonable doubt.

[ . . . ] In the case of documentary evidence and exhibits, as here, the substance of the evidence was presented to the court and is available for our review. The question we must now address is whether the purpose for which the evidence was offered was either clear from the context or sufficiently explained by Willie. [ . . . . ]

The problem with the type of material offered by Willie is that it can have both a proper and an improper purpose insofar as it is intended to show the offeror's belief that he need not file income tax returns. "Belief" is a mischievous and tricky concept in this context. It is not a single-faceted idea, but is better defined as having both a normative and descriptive side. A normative belief is how Willie wants the law to be interpreted and ardently believes it should be interpreted. How he believes the law is constitutes a descriptive belief. Thus, while "[tax protesters] believe with great fervor [many] preposterous things . . . ," Coleman v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue, 791 F.2d 68, 69 (7th Cir. 1986), belief in their tax-free status, no matter how sincerely held, is not necessarily a defense to the government's claim of willfulness. Rather, only a belief possessing those characteristics that counter the elements of willfulness is a valid and relevant defense.

"Willfulness" is defined as the "voluntary, intentional violation of a known legal duty." Cheek v. United States, 111 S.Ct. at 610 (emphasis added). To be a relevant defense to willfulness, then, Willie, because of his belief or misunderstanding, must not have known he had a legal duty. Id. at 611 (defendant must be "ignorant of his duty").

[ . . . . ]

It is apparent that it is a delicate task to differentiate between a belief that the law should be different and a belief that the law is different. The difficulty of discerning the often subtle distinctions is magnified by the fact that much of the same evidence can be used to prove both types of belief and because the word "belief" itself is used loosely in describing both sides of the dichotomy. As a result, the precise purpose for which the evidence is offered becomes crucial to the trial court's determination of admissibility, particularly in cases of this nature where the careless admission of evidence supporting both relevant and irrelevant types of belief could easily obfuscate the relevant issue and tempt the jury to speculate that the mere existence of documentary support for the defendant's position negates his independent knowledge that he has a legal duty. [ . . . . ] The defendant must, therefore, persuasively show the trial judge that the evidence is being offered for a permissible purpose by making a proffer of great specificity regarding the type of belief he seeks to prove. A mere statement that the evidence is submitted to show sincerity of belief is not enough.

[ . . . . ]

Willie argues that Cheek v. United States, 111 S.Ct. 604 (1991), requires the admission of any evidence arguably relating to the objective reasonability of his belief. Appellant's Supplemental Brief at 5. We disagree. While the Supreme Court acknowledged that the reasonableness of the defendant's belief may bear on the jury's determination of sincerity, the issue of admissibility of evidence was not before [the Supreme Court]. The Court held only that the jury should be instructed to determine the defendant's subjective beliefs as to the lawfulness of his actions, not that the trial judge must admit any and all evidence related to the basis of those beliefs.

[ . . . ]

Willie and the dissent both make essentially a fairness argument that since, under Cheek, the government is "free to present" evidence of court decisions and Code provisions "to establish the unreasonableness of the defendant's asserted beliefs, . . . the defendant should be able to introduce [similar] evidence . . . to support the objective reasonableness of his beliefs. . . ." Dissenting Opinion, slip op. at 4-5. They rely on the following language from Cheek:

-----the jury would be free to consider any admissible evidence . . . showing that Cheek was aware of his duty to file a return . . . , including evidence showing his awareness of the relevant provisions of the code or regulations, of court decisions rejecting his interpretation of the tax law, of authoritative rulings of the Internal Revenue Service, or of any contents of the personal income tax return forms and accompanying instructions that made it plain that wages should be returned as income.

Cheek v. United States, 111 S.Ct. at 611 (emphasis added). This excerpt, however, does not allow the government to present the court decisions, regulations or statutes themselves or testimony regarding their contents. Rather it only indicates that the jury could properly consider otherwise "admissible evidence" that the defendant was "aware" of those documents and, therefore, "aware" of his duty to file.

Thus, even if Willie had submitted an adequate proffer to the judge regarding the relevance of his belief and the evidence may have shown the basis for that belief, the admission of the exhibits would not be required under Cheek. Rather Cheek, while reinforcing this circuit's subjective standard in determining willfulness, did not abrogate other existing law regarding the admissibility of documentary evidence nor did it alter the trial court's traditional discretionary role in ruling on the admissibility of that evidence.

[ . . . . ] we hold alternatively that the exhibits were properly excluded under Fed. R. Evid. 403 because they were confusing, because the danger of the jury's misuse of the evidence for an improper purpose was great, and because the relevant point was provable by other evidence.
(bolding and enlargement added; italics in original).

--from United States v. Willie, 91-2 U.S. Tax Cas. (CCH) ¶50,409 (10th Cir. 1991).
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Good opinion.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC

Post by LPC »

A further thought on the Willie opinion:

Implicit in the opinion is the mindset shared by judges and lawyers that "the law" is what judges say it is.

So, if you believe that the 16th Amendment doesn't mean what it says and the IRC doesn't mean what it says, and you also know that the courts are ignorant and corrupt and will rule against you, so that you know that you will go to jail if you caught, then you are violating a known legal duty and are violating the law "willfully."

If you didn't have any idea how the courts might rule on your argument, then you might actually believe that that is what the law "is." But if you know that the courts will rule against you, then what you believe is what the law "should be" and what the law "is."
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Slightly off topic, but I want to point out that Dan's Tax Protester FAQ continues to grow. The earliest version I have is dated April 10, 2001 and (in my PDF format) it consists of 69 pages.

The latest version, updated through January 13, 2009, totals about 250 pages. Wow! Totally impressive -- as to both quality and quantity......
LPC

Post by LPC »

Famspear wrote:Slightly off topic, but I want to point out that Dan's Tax Protester FAQ continues to grow. The earliest version I have is dated April 10, 2001 and (in my PDF format) it consists of 69 pages.

The latest version, updated through January 13, 2009, totals about 250 pages. Wow! Totally impressive -- as to both quality and quantity......
Yeah, I just uploaded a new version a few days ago. Forgot to announce it.
Dan Evans