VT tax evader gets 3 years in prison

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Waugh

VT tax evader gets 3 years in prison

Post by Waugh »

Manipulative' tax evader given three years

This guy is more a tax evader than a tax protester, but his trial strategy shares the brilliance of a tax protester scheme:
Ignoring appeals from family members, a judge called a Williston man one of the most "manipulative" defendants she has seen and sentenced him Monday to at least three years in prison for failing to pay and file his Vermont taxes.

Peter J. Quist, a 53-year-old human resources consultant from Williston who once drew a six-figure salary, put his head in his hands after Judge Patricia Zimmerman told him he would be going back to jail.

Quist was given a 3- to 6-year sentence during a hearing in Vermont District Court in Barre on Monday. He will also have to pay about $15,000 in state taxes that he still owes.

Quist, who has been in jail for over a month, urged Zimmerman not to send him back to prison – a place he described as horrific. As he made a statement from the witness stand, Quist's voice broke as he recalled the experience.

"It has been a hellish one that has caused me to be depressed and suicidal," he said.

"I have witnessed unspeakable violence, drug use and hostility…," he added. "I will remember and loath that 48 days until I die."

Zimmerman was not swayed by letters or testimony given on Quist's behalf, and she imposed the full sentence the state requested.

Zimmerman seemed to be particularly disturbed by Quist's pattern of deception both in Vermont and in Georgia, where he lived before moving here in 1996.

Zimmerman said Quist lied under oath during his trial last August.

"You committed perjury at your trial," she said to Quist.

And at the hearing Monday, Quist admitted to fabricating evidence prior to his trial last summer.

He said he sent a "conspiracy" letter to the Vermont Attorney General's office. The letter was written to look like it was sent by a rogue Vermont Department of Taxes employee who was trying to harm Quist by stealing his tax returns.

The unsigned letter was supposedly from: "An employee of the Vermont Department of Taxes and a Believer in Workers' Rights and Justice."

The "employee" withheld Quist's tax returns because Quist is a "union buster," the letter stated.

"I am strongly opposed to Mr. Quist's activities and I hope he and others like him are forced out of business," the letter states.

An investigator found Quist's fingerprints on the letter and envelope, and a surveillance camera recorded Quist going to the post office in Montpelier on the same day the letter was mailed from that location.

Last May, prior to his trial, Quist told the court that he, too, received a version of the letter. He used the "new evidence" as the basis for breaking a deal he had reached with prosecutors. The plea deal would have required him to spend 20 days in jail, which he could have served on weekends, according to Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Schinnerer, who prosecuted the case.
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Re: VT tax evader gets 3 years in prison

Post by The Operative »

Could have served 20 days in jail on weekends, instead he gets himself sentenced to 3 years. BRILLIANT!

Welcome to Quatloos!
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

I hope the social worker finds where this guy was schooled in tax evasion so the root of the problem will be adressed.
Last edited by Number Six on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

That is quite a story.
Demo.
Waugh

Post by Waugh »

CaptainKickback wrote:And he still owes the remaining $15,000. Brilliant. Keep this up Vermont and you will replace large swaths of the South as breeding ground for the stupid, inbred and slack-witted.
This case counts towards the South's breeding-ground status: the article reveals that Quist "did not pay his taxes in Georgia from 1990 to 1994" before moving to Vermont.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

He didn't even think to wear gloves while handling the fake letter. He's horrified by the experience of 48 days in holding. My Van Meter hit 25 and snored.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

Vermont is not particularly noteworthy for tax non-compliance. If you read the press releases from each state's US Attorney, you will get a sense of what priority tax fraud is in that region and how large a problem it is. Of course, the IRS statistics for non-compliance are harder to find. Of the New England states, I would think that Connecticut has the largest problem with illegal workers and various types of tax non-compliance. Next, maybe, New Hampshire.

The "patriot" movement still has a large following throughout the country. The fact that SAPF is based in Maryland, tells you something about the limits of the government to deal with this rebellion.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)