Schulz Loses Again

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Schulz Loses Again

Post by LPC »

Schulz has lost his appeal in his effort to quash the IRS summons against Paypal.

Robert L. Schulz v. United States, 2007 TNT 83-15, No. 05-17388 (4/27/2007).
9th Circuit wrote:ROBERT L. SCHULZ,
Plaintiff - Appellant,
v.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,
Defendant - Appellee.

NOT FOR PUBLICATION

UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS
FOR THE NINTH CIRCUIT

D.C. No. CV-05-80184-RMW

MEMORANDUM*

Appeal from the United States District Court
for the Northern District of California
Ronald M. Whyte, District Judge, Presiding

Submitted April 16, 2007**

Before: GRABER, CLIFTON, and BEA, Circuit Judges.

Robert L. Schulz appeals pro se from the district court's order denying his petition to quash a third party summons directed at PayPal in connection with an investigation of Schulz's internet tax evasion scheme. We have jurisdiction pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 1291. The district court's decision to enforce an IRS summons will not be disturbed unless its finding that the summonses were issued for a proper purpose was clearly erroneous. Ponsford v. United States, 771 F.2d 1305, 1307 (9th Cir. 1985). The district court's denial of a motion to reconsider is reviewed for abuse of discretion. Sch. Dist. No. 1J, Multnomah County, Or. v. ACandS, Inc., 5 F.3d 1255, 1262 (9th Cir. 1993). We affirm.

The district court's determination upholding the summons was not clearly erroneous. The IRS submitted a declaration establishing a prima facie case that the summons was issued in good faith as part of a legitimate investigation concerning Schulz's tax liabilities and his role in assisting others in evading federal income tax laws. See Fortney v. United States, 59 F.3d 117, 119-20 (9th Cir. 1995). The district court did not err in finding that Schulz failed to meet his burden of proving that the investigation was motivated by bad faith. See id. at 120 ("Once a prima facie case is made a heavy burden is placed on the taxpayer to show an abuse of process or the lack of institutional good faith.") (internal quotations omitted).

The district court did not abuse its discretion by denying Schulz's motion for reconsideration because he re-argued issues already raised and rejected and did not establish any grounds for relief. See ACandS, Inc., 5 F.3d at 1263.

Schulz's remaining contentions are unpersuasive.

AFFIRMED.

FOOTNOTES

* This disposition is not appropriate for publication and is not precedent except as provided by 9th Cir. R. 36-3.

** The panel unanimously finds this case suitable for decision without oral argument. See Fed. R. App. P. 34(a)(2).

END OF FOOTNOTES
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

So do we want to start a pool to see how long before Schulz starts turning in the other members of WtP to minimize his own sentencing?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

The Observer wrote:So do we want to start a pool to see how long before Schulz starts turning in the other members of WtP to minimize his own sentencing?
Ratting out all four of his acolytes may not suffice to do that.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
jkeeb
Pirate Judge of Which Things Work

Post by jkeeb »

So do we want to start a pool to see how long before Schulz starts turning in the other members of WtP to minimize his own sentencing?
He doesn't need to rat on anybody, just look for people wearing "V" masks.
Remember that CtC is about the rule of law.

John J. Bulten
Disilloosianed

Post by Disilloosianed »

This reminds me, one of my tax protesters once said something about being a WTP member and that the organization had won many cases in New Mexico.....not that we are in New Mexico, but hey, who worries about a little thing like that? ('Course, I'm at a loss on exactly what these big New Mexico wins were, either.)
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

Disilloosianed wrote:This reminds me, one of my tax protesters once said something about being a WTP member and that the organization had won many cases in New Mexico.....not that we are in New Mexico, but hey, who worries about a little thing like that? ('Course, I'm at a loss on exactly what these big New Mexico wins were, either.)
New Mexico wins ...

He's talking about Jack and Margy Flynn. For the life of me, I've tried to discover all these "wins" but have yet to see anything of substance. The only ones I've seen were zoning or traffic issues and at least one election issue.

Check out there stuff here -
http://www.citizensoftheamericanconstit ... mepage.htm
Disilloosianed

Post by Disilloosianed »

Thanks. Now I am highly amused. I've seen some of the phrasing from the homepage show up in letters.
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

Perhaps the better question is: How long until Bob's next "We lost, send money!" letter comes out?
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Joey Smith wrote:Perhaps the better question is: How long until Bob's next "We lost, send money!" letter comes out?
More like: "We lost, send your non-tax deductible contribution today!"
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

I think a bigger question is -- when is Bob going to tell his followers about the civil injunction suit?

http://www.wethepeoplefoundation.org/de ... latestnews