DC Quatloos gathering - evening of May 5th

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Re: DC Quatloos gathering - evening of May 5th

Post by fortinbras »

If the place and hour have been settled on, I must have missed them, so please repeat them.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

webhick wrote:
Joey Smith wrote:Getting closer -- many fun, but seriously deranged, personnages have committed ....
Well, the cool kids will be here, posting in a vacuum, while you guys are gone. Since I'll be practically alone here...

I DECLARE MYSELF FORUM MASTER. MY WRATH IS CREAMY AND MY WANTS ARE INCONSISTENT. FEED ME SKITTLES AND BASK MY CHOCOLATY GOODNESS. MY FIRST ORDER: DO NOT USE TWO "N"S IN PERSONAGES. TO THE PIT WITH YOU!!!!

Ahem. Actually, I'll probably be prepping for intake all evening. We're handling 50 households a week now.
oh my...I think I need a cold shower
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

LPC wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:Hey Dan, what about you taking the train down too?
I have to admit that I'm tempted.
Okay, time to face reality. It's not going to happen. I'm simply over-traveled at this point.

Last weekend, it was a long road trip to the AQS annual show in Paducah (the Mecca of quilting), and this coming weekend I'll be traveling to my favorite undisclosed location (those of you with moderator privileges will see the change in IP addresses).

I'm not spending enough time in the office, and the paying customers are beginning to notice. Something's got to go, and the fifth-frivolity got the short straw.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

Imalawman wrote:I will preparing to take my advanced international tax exam the next morning. Please drink one for me....I will drink enough for all you on the 8th, after my last exam.
Good luck!
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Tax Man

Post by Tax Man »

I'll be at Firefly at 6PM Wednesday (tomorrow), unless my flight is delayed. Who else will be there? Should I look for the big pirate flag?
Tax Man

Post by Tax Man »

Imalawman wrote:I will preparing to take my advanced international tax exam the next morning. Please drink one for me....I will drink enough for all you on the 8th, after my last exam.
Remember, the operative code sections are in 1.861-8(f)!
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Tax Man wrote:I'll be at Firefly at 6PM Wednesday (tomorrow), unless my flight is delayed. Who else will be there? Should I look for the big pirate flag?
I'll be there. Anyone else? Nikki?
Demo.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Demosthenes wrote:
Tax Man wrote:I'll be at Firefly at 6PM Wednesday (tomorrow), unless my flight is delayed. Who else will be there? Should I look for the big pirate flag?
I'll be there. Anyone else? Nikki?
As much as I would love to participate, I'm involved in a mandatory "team-building" training session through the end of this week.

I've been lucky so far -- I've avoided the blindfold rope climb by invoking the "too old for this crap" rule, but I still have to stay here through Friday.

Drink one or six for me, please.
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

Deleted
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Ya think it's a great idea to do it at an Irish pub on the afternoon of the Champion's League (Arsenal v Manchester United)?

Savage rowdy, begorra.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Joey Smith wrote:Deleted
Wait. It's not confirmed yet. I'm also talking to the 21M Lounge and a couple of other places.
Demo.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Fado's is extremely easy to get to using the Washington subway system, only one block from the Gallery-Chinatown station using the red line from Union Station (only two stops) or from National (Reagan) Airport on the yellow line.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

I have confirmation I'll be in the area on the fifteenth; dang. So close.

If you get the chance, make time to see the airshow at Andrews:

http://www.jsoh.org/

FYI - admission is free at shows where the military demonstration teams fly, and if you have a DOD ID you can get in on Friday before the weekend crowds.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

fortinbras wrote:Fado's is extremely easy to get to using the Washington subway system, only one block from the Gallery-Chinatown station using the red line from Union Station (only two stops) or from National (Reagan) Airport on the yellow line.
My only issue with Fado is that it can get loud and the room they promised us is semi-private, not private.
Demo.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

A bunch of other restaurants within a two block radius, esp Chinese but lots of others.

Of course, it would help to know if privacy is needed for fifty Quatloos drunks or just two or three.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

fortinbras wrote:A bunch of other restaurants within a two block radius, esp Chinese but lots of others.

Of course, it would help to know if privacy is needed for fifty Quatloos drunks or just two or three.
Don't worry about it. We've got options. Some of the more chic lounges are almost funny in their minimum pricing structures. For example, one asian lounge wants $100 per hour room rental plus a $1,500 minimum drinks tab plus food costs for 15 to 18 people for a two hour party that occurs during happy hour. DC should get over itself. :roll:
Demo.
wserra

Post by wserra »

If we all are counting heads, I should chime in before this goes any farther. It is looking unlikely that I can make it.

I had to laugh when I read Prof's description of his "50+" firm as "small". There are four of us. One of my partners and I do virtually all of the medmal, which is a substantial part of the firm's practice. While I am not overwhelmed right now - that will change in June, when I have three trials scheduled - my partner is. He has an appeal on which his brief is due, a response to a leave application, depositions of two doctors, and the usual odds and ends, all in the next week. It would be a huge waste of time for me to take on any of those things except one - a doctor's depo, on Tuesday. It will go at least the day, and may not finish. If it is confirmed - I would say that's 80% - I'm not available. Even were it not for the depo, I really can't justify disappearing at this point. Not that I ever can.

I was looking forward to meeting some of the twisted folks with whom I have been hanging out here for six years, and will definitely do so in the future. For those of us from out of town, though - Friday or Saturday? Please? The commute (just under three hours each way on the Acela), plus time to and from Penn/Union Stations, plus building in extra time in case of problems, adds up to "very difficult" during the week.

Sorry.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Well as someone whose income is closer to Webhick's than the average for this forum, and who doesn't drink, not to mention being located on the west coast, i feel eminently qualified to butt in. How about everyone exchange phone numbers? Then those who can't make it can at least say hi, or even get a little face time by webcam.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

CaptainKickback wrote:By the way, you do realize that most watering holes will be filled to the scuppers with all the amateur drunks celebrating Cinco de Mayo. Ex-frat boys, wanna-be jocks, bimbettes, etc. all pretending they speak Spanish getting loaded on cheap beer, salsa, guacamole and whatever else comes down the slop chute.
You've just described a group that doesn't really exist in DC.

The youths hanging out in downtown DC pubs are likely to have law degrees and career paths that mean you don't do stuff in public that comes back to haunt you when you apply for a job at the Senate or the DoJ.
Demo.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

I woud expect that an IRISH pub like Fado would be less likely to have Cinco de Mayo drunks. It would have drunks left from Saint Patrick's Day.