NY Times Magazine this weekend

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: NY Times Magazine this weekend

Post by Famspear »

UGA Lawdog wrote:
Nikki wrote:Just remember. Over 50% of the body must fall inside the door to support a reasonable self-defense claim.
No, that only applies in the states run by leftwing extremists. I remember a case where the guy shot THROUGH the door, killed the intruder trying to break in, and was not even charged.
From Texas Penal Code, section 9.31:
Sec. 9.31. SELF-DEFENSE. (a) [ . . . .] a person is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force. The actor's belief that the force was immediately necessary as described by this subsection is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:

(1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom the force was used:

(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment [ . . . .]
Don't mess with Texas.

EDIT: Texas Penal Code section 9.32 (in part):
Sec. 9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON. (a) A person is justified in using deadly force against another:

(1) if the actor would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.31; and

(2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force; or

(B) to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery.
EDIT NUMBER 2: From Penal Code section 9.32:
(c) A person who has a right to be present at the location where the deadly force is used, who has not provoked the person against whom the deadly force is used, and who is not engaged in criminal activity at the time the deadly force is used is not required to retreat before using deadly force as described by this section.

(d) For purposes of Subsection (a)(2), in determining whether an actor described by Subsection (c) reasonably believed that the use of deadly force was necessary, a finder of fact may not consider whether the actor failed to retreat.
Don't mess with Texas.

Pardner.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Paul

Post by Paul »

My dear departed crim law professor once stated that, in most states, if a you were being assaulted in your home by someone in a wheel chair wielding a pocketknife, you had an obligation to climb the stairs to avoid him rather than shoot him, but that, in Texas, you could stand your ground and fire away.
Don't mess with Texas.

Pardner.
"Most states are eliminating the death penalty. In Texas, we're adding an express lane."

Ron White
agent86x

Post by agent86x »

Paul wrote:"Most states are eliminating the death penalty. In Texas, we're adding an express lane."

Ron White
Isn't that from Ron "Tater Salat" White?
Paul

Post by Paul »

It's really Ron "I was not drunk in public, I was drunk in a bar. They THREW me into public! Arrest them!" White, but that doesn't fit in the police report.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

webhick wrote:
Nikki wrote:Just remember. Over 50% of the body must fall inside the door to support a reasonable self-defense claim.

If that doesn't happen, the police who come to investigate the break-in are usually happy to help with the heavy lifting.
What if more than 50% of the body is reduced to sprayed gore? Will the cops also help me squeegee the perpetrator off the walls and respray it inside the premises?
as long as you have HAZMAT personal protective gear (rubber gloves usually covers it) they will, or at least where I live they will.

hiya sweetie!
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

grixit wrote:Liberal household here. No shotgun, any intruder will get a long lecture on social responsibility.

if you could only get Weston to give the lectures, that would be a punishment worse than being shot....
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Weston White wrote:
I burglar that breaks into your home could turn around and sue you (thereby committing a felony), under the right conditions could rightfully sue you and win.
Tell ya what, Weston. Come on over around midnight to the Well Armed Bunker Complex, try to enter uninvited, and we'll see how that works out for you. We now have 2 locations to serve you better, the original Bunker in Maineville Ohio and don't forget our newest location, the "Dachshund Lair" in beautiful Adams County Pennsylvania, just minutes from the site of Picket's Charge in Gettysburg!

and you know, nothing opens up Tactical Response Team Warriors to ridicule in Militia Circles more than being pinned up against the fence, crying like a little girl, by a miniature wiener dog snarling at you
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Gregg wrote:
webhick wrote:

If that doesn't happen, the police who come to investigate the break-in are usually happy to help with the heavy lifting.
What if more than 50% of the body is reduced to sprayed gore? Will the cops also help me squeegee the perpetrator off the walls and respray it inside the premises?
as long as you have HAZMAT personal protective gear (rubber gloves usually covers it) they will, or at least where I live they will.
Come for the body, stay for the mystery meat barbecue.
Gregg wrote:hiya sweetie!
Take off the beer goggles, cupcake.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Yes there is, crying, stuck on the fence while said wiener dog humps your leg, of\r if you are stuck upside down, said weiner dog licking your face affectionately as you cry.

I don't have a bunker, but I do have an effective early warning system - a 90 pound dog that is half pit bull. And then you have to deal with me and if I have to get out of my comfortable bed and up from my comfortable sleep in the middle of the night, I will not be a happy camper. But, I will be polite and wait until you are in the house and at close range before I fire.....
The well armed bunker complex is a long running joke to tell the truth, I live between a golf course and an Army Reserve Facility, and Chili Dog, well, she's 6 pounds of pandemonium and that's all I'm gonna say about that.
Looks a bit unwieldy for home use. I recommend either a large caliber handgun or a pistol-gripped 12 gauge pump action shotgun. I have both.
Three words:
Cobra Attack Helicopter

When you absolutely, positively want to be sure they're DEAD.
Take off the beer goggles, cupcake.
Ahh...I don't even drink, stone cold sober!

Actually, though I have seen pictures of Demo and Scoop (both very attractive women BTW, although Scoop is a Yalie) you I have no idea what you look like. People tell me I bear a striking resemblance to Shrek on a bender, or Keith Richards on a bad hair day.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Gregg wrote:Actually, though I have seen pictures of Demo and Scoop (both very attractive women BTW, although Scoop is a Yalie) you I have no idea what you look like. People tell me I bear a striking resemblance to Shrek on a bender, or Keith Richards on a bad hair day.
I'm the bastard lovechild of the transvestite palm reader version of Amy Whinehouse and a pug that's had major reconstructive surgery following a near-fatal hit by a DHL truck - which is the real reason why they don't do domestic delivery anymore. And I've got the looks to prove it.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I think I'm in love
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

What a perfect place to end a thread!
Demo.