Section 93

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Section 93

Post by LPC »

As you know, Hendrickson places great emphasis on section 93 of the act of July 1, 1862, 12 Stat. 432, which Hendrickson believes makes his own tax return irrebutable. But I just took the time to read section 93 in full, and noticed something odd.

The following is the full text of section 93. The words that Hendrickson includes in the quote in his briefs are marked in blue. The words I find significant are not included in Hendrickson's quote, and are marked in red.
Congress, in 1862 wrote:SEC. 93. And be it further enacted, That it shall be the duty of all persons of lawful age, and all guardians and trustees, whether such trustees are so by virtue of their office as executors, administrators, or other fiduciary capacity, to make return in the list or schedule, as provided in this act, to the proper officer of internal revenue, of the amount of his or her income, or the income of such minors or persons as may be held in trust as aforesaid, according to the requirements hereinbefore stated, and in case of neglect or refusal to make such return, the assessor or assistant assessor shall assess the amount of his or her income, and proceed thereafter to collect the duty thereon in the same manner as is provided for in other cases of neglect and refusal to furnish lists or schedules in the general provisions of this act, where not otherwise incompatible, and the assistant assessor may increase the amount of the list or return of any party making such return, if he shall be satisfied that the same is understated: Provided, That any party, in his or her own behalf, or as guardian or trustee, as aforesaid, shall be permitted to declare, under oath or affirmation, the form and manner of which shall be prescribed by the Commissioner of Internal Revenue, that he or she was not possessed of an income of six hundred dollars, liable to be assessed according to the provisions of this act, or that he or she has been assessed elsewhere and the same year for an income duty, under authority of the United States, and shall thereupon be exempt from an income duty; or, if the list or return of any party shall have been increased by the assistant assessor, in manner as aforesaid, he or she may he permitted to declare, as aforesaid, the amount of his or her annual income, or the amount held in trust, as aforesaid, liable to be assessed, as aforesaid, and the same so declared shall be received as the sum upon which duties are to be assessed and collected.
The reference to the "return in the list or schedule, as provided in this act," means that the procedures described in section 93 are, by their own express terms, applicable only to the tax returns required by the act of 1862, which by its express terms only applied to income earned through the end of 1866.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Re: Section 93

Post by notorial dissent »

Details, details, just like all those pesky inconvenient facts Pete so likes to ignore when they disagree with him.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Weston White

Post by Weston White »

The reference to the "return in the list or schedule, as provided in this act," means that the procedures described in section 93 are, by their own express terms, applicable only to the tax returns required by the act of 1862, which by its express terms only applied to income earned through the end of 1866.
So by that logic, could we not also say that that the 1040 applied only to 1913, thus is no longer relevant? Not sure what you are actually trying to prove, is that it something to do with a return or is there more to it?

Isn’t his point in quoting it to show how it was originally implemented though, that there were restrictions placed within the Act, restrictions which still exist in the present day format of the Code, e.g. 6201(a)(a).

Or was your point more about that Act ending in 1866? I find that interesting to not because of what was stated in the Convention:
“The Debates in the Federal Convention of 1787
by James Madison
SATURDAY AUGUST 18. IN CONVENTION

Mr. RUTLIDGE moved to refer a clause "that funds appropriated to public creditors should not be diverted to other purposes."
Mr. MASON was much attached to the principle, but was afraid such a fetter might be dangerous in time of war. He suggested the necessity of preventing the danger of perpetual revenue which must of necessity subvert the liberty of any Country. If it be objected to on the principle of Mr. Rutlidge's motion that public credit may require perpetual provisions, that case might be excepted: it being declared that in other cases, no taxes should be laid for a longer term than _____ years. He considered the caution observed in Great Britain on this point as the paladium of the public liberty.
Mr. RUTLIDGE's motion was referred — He then moved that a Grand Committee be appointed to consider the necessity and expediency of the U. States assuming all the State debts — A regular settlement between the Union & the several States would never take place. The assumption would be just as the State debts were contracted in the common defence. It was necessary, as the taxes on imports the only sure source of revenue were to be given up to the Union. It was politic, as by disburdening the people of the State debts it would conciliate them to the plan.
Mr. KING and Mr. PINKNEY seconded the motion
[Col. MASON interposed a motion that the Committee prepare a clause for restraining perpetual revenue, which was agreed to nem. con.]”
And what is the income tax but a perpetual revenue generator.
jg
Fed Chairman of the Quatloosian Reserve

Post by jg »

Hendrickson's intent appears to me an attempt to support the strange idea that only the taxpayer can assert what is the correct amount liable to be assessed and collected.

Hendrickson dishonestly omits the phrases in blue in the original post when referencing this section so it will seem to support his idea; but the phrase "or, if the list or return of any party shall have been increased by the assistant assessor, in manner as aforesaid," clearly shows that the governmental agency has always been able to change what the taxpayer has declared as is clear from reading all of the section and not the selective reading that Hendrickson employs.
“Where there is an income tax, the just man will pay more and the unjust less on the same amount of income.” — Plato
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

And, don't forget to read how the last phrase of Section 93 of the Act of 1862:
... and the same so declared shall be received as the sum upon which duties are to be assessed and collected
... was directly amended by Section 118 of the Act of 1864:
.. or, if the list or return of any party shall have been increased by the assistant assessor, in manner as aforesaid, such party may be permitted to declare, under oath or affirmation, the amount of annual income, or the amount held in trust, as aforesaid, liable to be assessed, and the same, so declared, shall be received by such assistant assessor as true, and as the sum upon which duties are to be assessed and collected, except that the deductions claimed in such cases shall not be made or allowed until approved by the assistant assessor.
... causing his final word and compelled testimony theories to fall.
LPC

Post by LPC »

Weston White wrote:
LPC wrote:The reference to the "return in the list or schedule, as provided in this act," means that the procedures described in section 93 are, by their own express terms, applicable only to the tax returns required by the act of 1862, which by its express terms only applied to income earned through the end of 1866.
So by that logic, could we not also say that that the 1040 applied only to 1913, thus is no longer relevant?
No. Unlike section 93 of the 1862 act, Form 1040 is not a statute.
Weston White wrote:Not sure what you are actually trying to prove, is that it something to do with a return or is there more to it?
Snide remarks fail me.
Weston White wrote:Isn’t his point in quoting it to show how it was originally implemented though, that there were restrictions placed within the Act, restrictions which still exist in the present day format of the Code, e.g. 6201(a)(a).
If Hendrickson wanted to show the restrictions imposed by "6201(a)(a)," then he should cited and quote "6201(a)(a)," and not a section of a statute that expired 122 years ago.
Weston White wrote:Or was your point more about that Act ending in 1866?
Wow! You are sharp! I was trying to slip that one by you, but you smoked me out. I won't underestimate you next time.

Yes, when I said that the act "by its express terms only applied to income earned through the end of 1866," I meant that the act ended in 1866. You were real clever to have figured that out.
Weston White wrote: I find that interesting to not because of what was stated in the Convention:
“The Debates in the Federal Convention of 1787
by James Madison
SATURDAY AUGUST 18. IN CONVENTION

Mr. RUTLIDGE moved to refer a clause "that funds appropriated to public creditors should not be diverted to other purposes."
Mr. MASON was much attached to the principle, but was afraid such a fetter might be dangerous in time of war. He suggested the necessity of preventing the danger of perpetual revenue which must of necessity subvert the liberty of any Country. If it be objected to on the principle of Mr. Rutlidge's motion that public credit may require perpetual provisions, that case might be excepted: it being declared that in other cases, no taxes should be laid for a longer term than _____ years. He considered the caution observed in Great Britain on this point as the paladium of the public liberty.
Mr. RUTLIDGE's motion was referred — He then moved that a Grand Committee be appointed to consider the necessity and expediency of the U. States assuming all the State debts — A regular settlement between the Union & the several States would never take place. The assumption would be just as the State debts were contracted in the common defence. It was necessary, as the taxes on imports the only sure source of revenue were to be given up to the Union. It was politic, as by disburdening the people of the State debts it would conciliate them to the plan.
Mr. KING and Mr. PINKNEY seconded the motion
[Col. MASON interposed a motion that the Committee prepare a clause for restraining perpetual revenue, which was agreed to nem. con.]”
And what is the income tax but a perpetual revenue generator.
So the statute that was enacted in 1862, and was supposed to have expired in 1866, should still be in force today because you found a resolution of the constitutional convention stating that "a clause for restraining perpetual revenue" should be included in the Constitution, even though it wasn't, and so you believe that statutes enacted in 1862 should still be in force so that they can provide for the kind of "perpetual revenue" that you believe the convention wanted to prohibit?

That's a bit of an over-simplification, but I think it accurately summarizes your "thinking."
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
notorial dissent

The first, main and salient point here being that the Sec 93 of the “act of July 1, 1862" expired in 1866!!!!!! It is expired, dead, defunct, whatever other terms you want to use, but it has no standing for anything relating to current time. For our purposes it never existed as it has no effect on any modern law or practice. Just more Pete BS. What is so hard to comprehend here?

The second point here is that the current tax statutes, with some exception for special taxes, have NO Weston, repeat NO expiration date, so to put it in very simple terms, they are good til cancelled, which they haven’t been, so your arguments, as usual, are pointless and without merit.

Third and final point, regardless of what discussions, debates, motions, or other actions that took place at the Constitutional Convention, if it didn’t make it into the Constitution, while it may be historically relevant, legally it is a nonevent.

Dan, while I will accept the term "parroting" when dealing with Weston's ramblings, I think accusing him of "thinking" is stepping out on a limb.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Norwegian Blue. Magnificent bird and first class legal scholar.
notorial dissent

Far better I am sure than Weston has proven to be, and probably considerably neater.
Weston White

Post by Weston White »

No. Unlike section 93 of the 1862 act, Form 1040 is not a statute.
Yea, because in the current one it is nothing, nothing at all. laff
If Hendrickson wanted to show the restrictions imposed by "6201(a)(a)," then he should cited and quote "6201(a)(a)," and not a section of a statute that expired 122 years ago.
That should have been 6201(a)(1), I always presumed he was using that as a reference to show what was originally intended by Congress and became convoluted over the course of time. Although he does make mention to the current section in reference to the originating section. Though he also claims that the RA of 1862 has never been repealed, though I have not seen any actual proof of that, so I take it with a grain of salt. Though either way it is helpful in showing the actual intent of what that section entails.
Wow! You are sharp! I was trying to slip that one by you, but you smoked me out. I won't underestimate you next time.

Yes, when I said that the act "by its express terms only applied to income earned through the end of 1866," I meant that the act ended in 1866. You were real clever to have figured that out.
I was only asking because you do not seem to grasp the importance of establishing the history of something, you act as if it matters not. That’s all.
So the statute that was enacted in 1862, and was supposed to have expired in 1866, should still be in force today because you found a resolution of the constitutional convention stating that "a clause for restraining perpetual revenue" should be included in the Constitution, even though it wasn't, and so you believe that statutes enacted in 1862 should still be in force so that they can provide for the kind of "perpetual revenue" that you believe the convention wanted to prohibit?

That's a bit of an over-simplification, but I think it accurately summarizes your "thinking."
You mean besides the fact that it still is under 26 USC 6201(a)(1)? The point of quoting the Convention was to show that perpetual taxation was enough of a concern of the Framers. I find it more perplexing that never seem to be capable of discerning such details yourself.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

The section 93 argument -- essentially, that the government is somehow bound by what a taxpayer states on his tax return -- is just more nonsense.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Weston White wrote:
LPC wrote:The reference to the "return in the list or schedule, as provided in this act," means that the procedures described in section 93 are, by their own express terms, applicable only to the tax returns required by the act of 1862, which by its express terms only applied to income earned through the end of 1866.
So by that logic, could we not also say that that the 1040 applied only to 1913, thus is no longer relevant? Not sure what you are actually trying to prove, is that it something to do with a return or is there more to it?
Nope. Form 1040 does not apply "only to 1913." And that's not the issue, anyway.

The issue is: What statute, what law, governs the filing of tax returns for a given year. For the tax year 2008, you look to the law that applies for the year 2008. The Civil War tax statutes do not apply to the 2008 tax year. Period.
Isn’t his point in quoting it to show how it was originally implemented though, that there were restrictions placed within the Act, restrictions which still exist in the present day format of the Code, e.g. 6201(a)(a).
Yes, that's probably Pete's point. And OUR point is that Pete is wrong about that. Pete is trying to argue (A) that in the 1860s, the government was somehow "bound" by whatever the taxpayer reported on the return (a dubious argument), and (B) that this supposed binding effect in an 1860s statute somehow still applies today (a laughable argument).
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Weston White wrote:
There are no restrictions of this kind -- in section 6201 or anywhere else in the current Internal Revenue Code. In fact, subsection (e) of section 6201 specficially refers to the deficiency procedures under Subchapter B of Chapter 63. Subchapter B (consisting of sections 6211 through 6216) deals with (among other things) deficiencies in federal income tax.

I'll abbreviate for clarity. For this purpose (federal income tax), "deficiency" is defined in section 6211(a) as the excess, if any, of the amount of the tax imposed by Subtitle A over "the amount shown as the tax by the taxpayer upon his return, if a return was made by the taxpayer and an amount was shown as the tax by the taxpayer thereon" (ignoring certain other adjustments not material here).

Obviously, there would be no need for the Subchapter B deficiency procedures (relating to the excess of the correct tax -- the tax imposed by Subtitle A -- over the amount shown by the taxpayer on his return) if the IRS were bound by the taxpayer's "testimony" on the return and could not, at some point, assess the deficiency. And other sections of the Code provide the procedures whereby the IRS can indeed "assess" the deficiency.

What this means is that if you file a Form 1040 and you show the tax as $10,000, and the IRS contends that the correct amount of tax under Subtitle A is $12,000 (i.e., the IRS "determines" a deficiency of $2,000), the IRS cannot generally assess that deficiency without first going through the procedures. The procedures generally allow you to petition the U.S. Tax Court for a "redetermination" of the deficiency.

Not only does Pete not understand these rules (or he understands them but he's willfully telling his followers falsehoods), he also does not understand what a deficiency is. On his web site, he makes the mistake of assuming that the "deficiency" is the UNPAID tax. As I noted in a recent thread, the "deficiency" (for purposes of Subchapter B) is not the "unpaid" tax -- it's the excess of the amount the IRS contends is the correct tax over the amount the taxpayer showed on the tax return.

What that means, in the example I gave, is that you would have a "deficiency" of $2,000 ($12,000 less $10,000) even if the taxpayer had actually paid in, say, $15,000, and was claiming a $5,000 refund. On these facts, if the IRS were ultimately deemed to have been correct about the $12,000 tax, the taxpayer theoretically would get a refund of $3,000 instead of $5,000. But that assumes that the IRS asserts the deficiency, etc., before the refund is paid, which would be rare. In practice, the taxpayer would normally receive a $5,000 refund before the IRS ever got around to determining the $2,000 deficiency, so the taxpayer would just end up having to pay the $2,000 back, leaving him with the $3,000 refund he should have received in the first place.

The point of all this is that the Code includes a whole set of statutes that envision that the IRS will examine federal income tax returns, determine deficiencies, and ultimately assess and collect additional taxes.

Pete Hendrickson tries to gloss over all this, and tries to argue that all this means something else with another goofy argument I won't go into here. He is wrong.

Hendrickson's Cracking the Code is full of silly stuff, and the fact that Hendrickson's Heroes enthusiastically swallow this particular bowl of bilge water -- that many of them seem to "honestly" believe that a psychologically normal person would actually fall for this -- is a ready illustration that his followers are, bluntly, Corn Flakes. The Internal Revenue Service is not legally bound by the tax return filer's "testimony" with respect to income, or deductions, or credits, or tax, or anything else, on the tax return.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

okay, someone tell me if I'm substantially wrong here

You send in your signed, sworn "testimony" under penalty of perjury blah blah blah

The people who paid you send in their tax return for payroll taxes, also sworn testimony under penalty of perjury

The two do not agree, and the court has to choose one as being "right"

This is a matter of law, not of fact, everyone agrees that they sent a check that you cashed, the only question is "are these payments wages under the law" No jury gets to decide it, juries only try facts not law, and the fact (payments were made) is not disputed.

The Judge says, you're work or whatever you want to call it, for your employer, whatever you want to call him, resulting in payments, whatever you want to call them, are Gross Income, and you are going to have to pay taxes on it minus legitimate deductions.

As I said, if anyone thinks that's wrong, correct me, and if not, post it in big bold letters on the crackhead forum, it may educate someone, but it'll definitely be fun to watch.
Last edited by Gregg on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

oh, and if I am right, it follows that someone at least potentially committed perjury
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
LPC

Post by LPC »

Famspear wrote:Obviously, there would be no need for the Subchapter B deficiency procedures (relating to the excess of the correct tax -- the tax imposed by Subtitle A -- over the amount shown by the taxpayer on his return) if the IRS were bound by the taxpayer's "testimony" on the return and could not, at some point, assess the deficiency.
One of the things that had been on my "to do" list was to point out that, even if section 93 had somehow survived 100+ years of changing tax laws without been expressly repealed, it was repealed by necessary implication by the 1954 Code because it was completely inconsistent with the deficiency procedures in the 1954 Code (and current law), which you have so ably demonstrated.

So thank you for making the point for me.
Dan Evans
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

You're welcome.

Even if the Civil War revenue acts had not been long repealed by the late 1930s, they may well have been repealed here:
SEC. 4. REPEAL AND SAVINGS PROVISIONS.—(a) The Internal Revenue Title, as hereinafter set forth, is intended to include all general laws of the United States and parts of such laws, relating exclusively to internal revenue, in force on the 2d day of January 1939 (1) of a permanent nature and (2) of a temporary nature if embraced in said Internal Revenue Title. In furtherance of that purpose, all such laws and parts of laws codified herein, to the extent they relate exclusively to internal revenue, are repealed, effective, except as provided in section 5, on the day following the date of the enactment of this act.

(b) Such repeal shall not affect any act done or any right accruing or accrued, or any suit or proceeding had or commenced in any civil cause before the said repeal, but all rights and liabilities under said acts shall continue, and may be enforced in the same manner, as if said repeal had not been made; nor shall any office, position, employ- ment, board, or committee, be abolished by such repeal, but the same shall continue under the pertinent provisions of the Internal Revenue Title.

(c) All offenses committed, and all penalties or forfeitures incurred under any statute hereby repealed, may be prosecuted and punished in the same manner and with the same effect as if this act had not been passed.
---Internal Revenue Code of 1939, 53 Stat. 1, sec. 4 (Feb. 10, 1939).

Caveat lector: My source for this is actually -- ironically -- a scannable PDF copy of the U.S. Statutes at Large that I downloaded from a tax protester web site.
LPC

Post by LPC »

Famspear wrote:You're welcome.

Even if the Civil War revenue acts had not been long repealed by the late 1930s, they may well have been repealed here:
That kind of repealer seems to have been quite common in the 1800s and early 1900s.

Section 34 of the act of 3/2/1867, 14 Stat. 471, which followed the expiration of the 1862 act, included the following language:
SEC. 34. And be it further enacted, That all acts or parts of acts inconsistent with this act, and all acts and parts of acts imposing any tax upon advertisements, or the gross receipts of toll-roads, are hereby repealed....
One of the problems with uncodified statutes is that it becomes a real nuisance to go back and try to make a list of every statute previously enacted on the same subject in order to repeal them or reconcile them with current, so you just repeal the previous acts in general terms and keep moving forward.
Dan Evans
Weston White

Post by Weston White »

There are no restrictions of this kind -- in section 6201 or anywhere else in the current Internal Revenue Code. In fact, subsection (e) of section 6201 specficially refers to the deficiency procedures under Subchapter B of Chapter 63. Subchapter B (consisting of sections 6211 through 6216) deals with (among other things) deficiencies in federal income tax.
Perhaps you should apply your reading skills a tad more than your pontificating skills. That is exactly what 6201(a)(1) does state. BTW, it is “specifically”. (selfEmpowermentTrip++);
“(1) Taxes shown on return
The Secretary shall assess all taxes determined by the taxpayer or by the Secretary as to which returns or lists are made under this title.”
* BTW, where is the return for the 1040 made at within this title? No finde dat' statute anywherez, oh k'pasa?
Obviously, there would be no need for the Subchapter B deficiency procedures (relating to the excess of the correct tax -- the tax imposed by Subtitle A -- over the amount shown by the taxpayer on his return) if the IRS were bound by the taxpayer's "testimony" on the return and could not, at some point, assess the deficiency. And other sections of the Code provide the procedures whereby the IRS can indeed "assess" the deficiency.
Yes there would, because the self-assessment process is to performed honesty by the “taxpayer” (Pssttt... That is sort of what that idea of including that whole "jurat" thing is all about.). Therefore, such a procedure would still have application. As in such a case during the self-assessment the “taxpayer” finds that not enough tax was withheld or in such cases that no tax was withheld at all.
Not only does Pete not understand these rules (or he understands them but he's willfully telling his followers falsehoods), he also does not understand what a deficiency is. On his web site, he makes the mistake of assuming that the "deficiency" is the UNPAID tax. As I noted in a recent thread, the "deficiency" (for purposes of Subchapter B) is not the "unpaid" tax -- it's the excess of the amount the IRS contends is the correct tax over the amount the taxpayer showed on the tax return.
True, but this is like making an issue out of the distinctions between raisins and grapes. The fact is that most likely the tax has yet to have been paid, this would be especially true in cases where withholding does not take place, and even when withholding does take place those withheld monies are in escrow pending the filing of a valid tax return listing the official amounts to be processed.

Oh and I see you conveniently forget about that whole "assessment" thing. Seriously, you do not wonder why the IRS does not simply issue any CtCer a copy of their assessment as prescribed within the Regulations? It is because legally they cannot... Actually that is not entirely true, I have seen two CtCers signed assessments and they were Pete Hendrickson’s own, showing his full refund claim, he has it posted someplace on his website.
Hendrickson's Cracking the Code is full of silly stuff, and the fact that Hendrickson's Heroes enthusiastically swallow this particular bowl of bilge water -- that many of them seem to "honestly" believe that a psychologically normal person would actually fall for this -- is a ready illustration that his followers are, bluntly, Corn Flakes. The Internal Revenue Service is not legally bound by the tax return filer's "testimony" with respect to income, or deductions, or credits, or tax, or anything else, on the tax return.

"The accuracy of that research and analysis is then incontrovertibly confirmed by an unending series of real-world, actual events, starting with my series of historic accomplishments..." Peter E. (Blowhard) Hendrickson
Yea, sort of like you attempting to push the illogical notation that by POLLOCK contemplating the exact meaning of the ‘direct tax’ has some sort of relevance in consideration of the ‘capitation tax’. Your claim is frivolous and absurd.

What you appear to being doing is lumping everything into one single ‘direct tax’ class, however, only with respect to ‘direct taxes’ as a distinct category, how convenient. That would be like me saying that there is no difference between an import and an excise, they are the same thing, just because they are both within the category of indirect taxation… clearly they are not, (even though they do exist within the same category of indirect taxes). Ergo, there is a very specific distinction between a ‘direct tax’ and ‘direct taxation’.

If you read through the case you will note that ‘direct taxes’ was basically a nice way of saying a tax upon slaves, realty, personal stock of many kinds, and that for the consideration slaves were taxed as if they were themselves realty; also to note the theory of taxing slaves as a class of persons would follow in accordance with what a poll-tax is. So that leaves the remaining question of what are ‘capitations taxes’, they are that which has been thoroughly discussed by Dr. Adam Smith, taxes inconsideration of ones labor; for there is nothing else remaining that such taxes could be.

It was also stated in quotations included within POLLOCK that to identify the distinctions between the two categories of taxes, ‘direct taxation’ would be those taxes levied directly upon the person or object itself, while ‘indirect taxation’ would be those taxes levied upon and reimbursed during the sale, transfer, or exchange of merchandise, produce, commerce, property, etc..
“Mr. Dexter observed that his colleague

"had stated the meaning of direct taxes to be a capitation tax, or a general tax on all the taxable property of the citizens, and that a gentleman from Virginia (Mr. Nicholas) thought the meaning was that all taxes are direct which are paid by the citizen without being recompensed by the consumer; but that, where the tax was only advanced and repaid by the consumer, the tax was indirect. He thought that both opinions were just, and not inconsistent, though the gentlemen had differed about them. He thought that a general tax on all taxable property was a direct tax, because it was paid without being recompensed by the consumer."”
And…
“But Albert Gallatin, in his "Sketch of the Finances of the United States," published in November, 1796, said:

"The most generally received opinion, however, is that, by direct taxes in the Constitution, those are meant which are raised on the capital or revenue of the people; by indirect, such as are raised on their expense. As that opinion is, in itself, rational and conformable to the decision which has taken place on the subject of the carriage tax, and as it appears important, for the sake of preventing future controversies, which may be not more fatal to the revenue than to the tranquility of the Union, that a fixed interpretation should be generally adopted, it will not be improper to corroborate it by quoting the author from whom the idea seems to have been borrowed."

He then quotes from Smith's Wealth of Nations, and continues:

"The remarkable coincidence of the clause of the Constitution with this passage in using the word 'capitation' as a generic expression, including the different species of direct taxes, an acceptation of the word peculiar, it is believed, to Dr. Smith, leaves little doubt that the framers of the one had the other in view at the time, and that they, as well as he, by direct taxes, meant those paid directly from, and falling immediately on, the revenue, and, by indirect, those which are paid indirectly out of the revenue by falling immediately upon the expense."”
To further note, I recall an argument where some claim that the tax is not upon the act of labor, but the income produced by the labor. I find that argument without merit for many reasons, to point out the most obvious:

1. A tax upon labor is by definition a ‘capitation tax’.
2. Taxing the result of the labor has the same virulent effect as taxing the labor itself.
3. If Congress intended to actually tax the result of labor it would still be a direct tax, in the form of a ‘poll-tax’, by levying a poll-tax on all classes of ‘employees’ or ‘laborers’ or on all 'middle class', 'common persons', 'wealthy', 'poor', etc., or on only certain occupational classes such as ‘CPA’, ‘JD’, ‘captains’, ‘engineers’, ‘farmers’, etc.
4. The only way to avoid such as tax would be to work for free and that would obviously defeat the purpose of working or laboring.

And the crux of POLLOCK, ergo, this is what is meant by “within the meaning of XVI Amendment ‘incomes’!”:

“"I. Whether a tax on incomes generally, inclusive of rents and interest or dividends from investments of all kinds, is or is not a direct tax within the meaning of the Federal Constitution is a matter upon which, as an original question, the government has really never been heard."”

Iterating point 2 (quoting POLLOCK):

If it be true that, by varying the form, the substance may be changed, it is not easy to see that anything would remain of the limitations of the Constitution, or of the rule of taxation and representation, so carefully recognized and guarded in favor of the citizens of each State. But constitutional provisions cannot be thus evaded. It is the substance, and not the form, which controls, as has indeed been established by repeated decisions of this court. Thus, in @ 25 U. S. 444, it was held that the tax on the occupation of an importer was the same as a tax on imports, and therefore void. And Chief Justice Marshall said:

"It is impossible to conceal from ourselves that this is varying the form without varying the substance. It is treating a prohibition which is general as if it were confined to a particular mode of doing the forbidden thing. All must perceive that a tax on the sale of an article imported only for sale is a tax on the article itself."

In Weston v. Charleston, 2 Pet. 449, it was held that a tax on the income of United States securities was a tax on the securities themselves, and equally inadmissible. The ordinance of the city of Charleston involved in that case was exceedingly obscure; but the opinions of Mr. Justice Thompson and Mr. Justice Johnson, who dissented, make it clear that the levy was upon the interest of the bonds, and not upon the bonds, and they held that it was an income tax, and, as such, sustainable; but the majority of the court, Chief Justice Marshall delivering the opinion, overruled that contention.

So, in Dobbins v. Commissioners, 16 Pet. 435, it was decided that the income from an official position could not be taxed if the office itself was exempt.

In Almy v. California, 24 How. 169, it was held that a duty on a bill of lading was the same thing as a duty on the article which it represented; in Railroad v. Jackson, 7 Wall. 262, that a tax upon the interest payable on bonds was a tax not upon the debtor, but upon the security, and in Cook v. Pennsylvania, 97 U. S. 566, that a tax upon the amount of sales of goods made by an auctioneer was a tax upon the goods sold.

In Philadelphia Steamship Co. v. Pennsylvania, 122 U. S. 326, and Leloup v. Mobile, 127 U. S. 640, it was held that a tax on income received from interstate commerce was a tax upon the commerce itself, and therefore unauthorized. And so, although it is thoroughly settled that, where by way of duties laid on the transportation of the subjects of interstate commerce, and on the receipts derived therefrom, or on the occupation or business of carrying it on.a tax is levied by a State on interstate commerce, such taxation amounts to a regulation of such commerce, and cannot be sustained, yet the property in a State belonging to a corporation, whether foreign or domestic, engaged in foreign or domestic commerce, may be taxed, and when the tax is substantially a mere tax on property, and not one imposed on the privilege of doing interstate commerce, the exaction may be sustained.

"The substance, and not the shadow, determines the validity of the exercise of the power." Postal Telegraph Co. v. Adams, 155 U. S. 688, 155 U. S. 698.

Nothing can be clearer than that what the Constitution intended to guard against was the exercise by the general government of the power of directly taxing persons and property within any State through a majority made up from the other States. It is true that the effect of requiring direct taxes to be apportioned among the States in proportion to their population is necessarily that the amount of taxes on the individual taxpayer in a State having the taxable subject matter to a larger extent in proportion to its population than another State has would be less than in such other State, but this inequality must be held to have been contemplated, and was manifestly designed to operate to restrain the exercise of the power of direct taxation to extraordinary emergencies, and to prevent an attack upon accumulated property by mere force of numbers.

It is not doubted that property owners ought to contribute in just measure to the expenses of the government. As to the States and their municipalities, this is reached largely through the imposition of direct taxes. As to the Federal government, it is attained in part through excises and indirect taxes upon luxuries and consumption generally, to which direct taxation may be added to the extent the rule of apportionment allows. And, through one mode or the other, the entire wealth of the country, real and personal, may be made, as it should be, to contribute to the common defence and general welfare.

But the acceptance of the rule of apportionment was one of the compromises which made the adoption of the Constitution possible, and secured the creation of that dual form of government, so elastic and so strong, which has thus far survived in unabated vigor. If, by calling a tax indirect when it is essentially direct, the rule of protection could be frittered away, one of the great landmarks defining the boundary between the Nation and the States of which it is composed would have disappeared, and with it one of the bulwarks of private rights and private property.

We are of opinion that the law in question, so far as it levies a tax on the rents or income of real estate, is in violation of the Constitution, and is invalid.
Last edited by Weston White on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Weston White

Post by Weston White »

Well at least you are now recognizing the possibility of concurrency. This is step in the right direction. Heck, you all deserve to pop a bottle of champaign!