Patrick Bellringer

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Nikki

Re: Patrick Bellringer

Post by Nikki »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:Perhaps it's because I'm still a newbie to these forums; but sometimes it's tough to distinguish between facetiousness and unhinged rants. There ARE people out there who will focus on ANY words they found to justify their lunacies. In the future, though, I will keep a pinch of salt at my elbow as I read the postings.
Windex and a roll of paper towels are also recommended.
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

Nikki wrote:
Pottapaug1938 wrote:Perhaps it's because I'm still a newbie to these forums; but sometimes it's tough to distinguish between facetiousness and unhinged rants. There ARE people out there who will focus on ANY words they found to justify their lunacies. In the future, though, I will keep a pinch of salt at my elbow as I read the postings.
Windex and a roll of paper towels are also recommended.
You should also keep a spare keyboard or not consume beverages while review postings -- especially those by Webhick.
"My Health is Better in November."
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

One other funny thing about nutcases who wave the banner of the Original Thirteenth Amendment is that they conveniently forget about the Fourteenth Amendment. Even if the Original Thirteenth Amendment had deprived lawyers, etc. of US citizenship, the Fourteenth Amendment would have restored it. But then again, coherent legal scholarship has never been their long suit....
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:One other funny thing about nutcases who wave the banner of the Original Thirteenth Amendment is that they conveniently forget about the Fourteenth Amendment. Even if the Original Thirteenth Amendment had deprived lawyers, etc. of US citizenship, the Fourteenth Amendment would have restored it. But then again, coherent legal scholarship has never been their long suit....
I don't think that's it...I think the 13th amendment was a prohibition on titles of nobility. Since lawyers use the term, "esquire", the practice of law as such is unconstitutional. The 14th wouldn't have changed anything if that were true.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Imalawman wrote:
Pottapaug1938 wrote:One other funny thing about nutcases who wave the banner of the Original Thirteenth Amendment is that they conveniently forget about the Fourteenth Amendment. Even if the Original Thirteenth Amendment had deprived lawyers, etc. of US citizenship, the Fourteenth Amendment would have restored it. But then again, coherent legal scholarship has never been their long suit....
I don't think that's it...I think the 13th amendment was a prohibition on titles of nobility. Since lawyers use the term, "esquire", the practice of law as such is unconstitutional. The 14th wouldn't have changed anything if that were true.
Well, I just found the text of the mythical amendment online, and here is what it says:

"If any citizen of the United States shall accept, claim, receive, or retain any title of nobility or honour, or shall without the consent of Congress, accept and retain any present, pension, office, or emolument of any kind whatever, from any emperor, king, prince, or foreign power, such person shall cease to be a citizen of the United States, and shall be incapable of holding any office of trust or profit under them, or either of them."

Thus (first pretending that these nutcases are correct in their analyses), anyone who accepts the title of nobility known as Esquire "cease(s) to be a citizen of the United States".
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:
Imalawman wrote:
Well, I just found the text of the mythical amendment online, and here is what it says:

"If any citizen of the United States shall accept, claim, receive, or retain any title of nobility or honour, or shall without the consent of Congress, accept and retain any present, pension, office, or emolument of any kind whatever, from any emperor, king, prince, or foreign power, such person shall cease to be a citizen of the United States, and shall be incapable of holding any office of trust or profit under them, or either of them."

Thus (first pretending that these nutcases are correct in their analyses), anyone who accepts the title of nobility known as Esquire "cease(s) to be a citizen of the United States".
Right, but I was under the impression that it wasn't so much that lawyers weren't citizens, but that they can't be senators, officers of the court, judges, etc. etc. I don't think they really care about being citizens. Been a while since I've reviewed the "why lawyers suck" theories...
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Pottapaug1938 wrote: Well, I just found the text of the mythical amendment online, and here is what it says:

Two things:

1. The part about losing citizenship must have been added because it wasn't in the original, that was just about not being able to hold office.

2. Esquire is not a title of nobility, nor is it conferred by anyone. Anyone who wants to may call themselves that, whether or not they are a lawyer. You, for instance.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I did mention that I was using the nutcases' analysis of the word "Esquire". I indeed have used it; but generally today I used it only for comic effect.