TD American Airlines pilot pleads guilty

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

TD American Airlines pilot pleads guilty

Post by Demosthenes »

He fought extradition from the UK for a few months but gave in and cut a deal. He was an American Tax Consultants client.
American Airlines pilot flees country to avoid prosecution,
Plano man pleas guilty to tax evasion
By Stephanie Flemmons, Staff Writer
(Created: Friday, May 22, 2009 5:39 PM CDT)

An American Airlines pilot, who claimed non citizenship, pled guilty to four counts of tax evasion and could face up to five years in prison.

Robert Mauro, a 52-year-old American Airlines pilot, fled the country attempting to dodge prosecution. His extradition from the United Kingdom was filed by the attorney general’s office in 2008 and he retuned in 2009. Mauro admitted to willfully failing to file a tax return for the 1998 tax year and that he attempted to evade the payment of income taxes for tax years 2000 to 2001.

[snip]

According to court records, during the Internal Revenue Service investigation agents discovered that Mauro filed three applications for an extension to file his federal income tax returns and falsely claimed on those forms that he did not owe any taxes for 1998 to 2000. The agents also discovered that Mauro provided his employer, American Airlines, with an IRS form falsely claiming he was exempt from withholding because he was not a U.S. citizen.
Demo.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Re: TD American Airlines pilot pleads guilty

Post by Demosthenes »

Demo.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

That would be Plano, Texas.

And the combination of "airline pilot" and "Texas" seems to suggest a possible over-dose of kool-aid.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Finally found an avatar for SubVet.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

LPC wrote:That would be Plano, Texas.

And the combination of "airline pilot" and "Texas" seems to suggest a possible over-dose of kool-aid.
Snide comments will result in submission of your name to the Republic of Texas as a possible subversive. What do you think, JRB & Famspear.
"My Health is Better in November."
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

I think I taught the AUSA in law school, but too many years have passed to be sure.
"My Health is Better in November."
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Prof wrote:

Snide comments will result in submission of your name to the Republic of Texas as a possible subversive. What do you think, JRB & Famspear.
Said referral could be considered significant if there were even the remotest possibility that the de minimus Government of The Republic Of Texas could take appropriate time to address it.

However, before iot could do so, said Government would have to take significant time away from the more important activities of processing credit card receipts, printing multi-color certificates, and determining the appropriate source of the BBQ lunch.
LPC

Post by LPC »

Nikki wrote:Said referral could be considered significant if there were even the remotest possibility that the de minimus Government of The Republic Of Texas could take appropriate time to address it.
Yes, there is the de jure government of Texas, the de facto government of Texas, and the de minimus government of Texas.

Not to be confused with the de finite government of Texas.
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Nikki wrote:Said referral could be considered significant if there were even the remotest possibility that the de minimus Government of The Republic Of Texas could take appropriate time to address it.
Hey. They could ask you to hold their beer and watch something.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

Nikki wrote:
Prof wrote:

Said referral could be considered significant if there were even the remotest possibility that the de minimus Government of The Republic Of Texas could take appropriate time to address it.

However, before iot could do so, said Government would have to take significant time away from the more important activities of processing credit card receipts, printing multi-color certificates, and determining the appropriate source of the BBQ lunch.
Willie could handle it for them.
Now, Bill was a gun-totin' cowboy
Ten notches were carved on his gun
And all the boys around Reno
Left wild Bill's maiden alone.

Now back in old Pennsylvania
Among all those beautiful pines,
There's one less Philadelphia Lawyer
In old Philadelphia tonight.
Philadelphia Lawyer by Woody Guthrie, covered by Willie Nelson
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Having read this again, it strikes me as odd that this guy would flee to a country that has some of the steepest taxes in the world to get out of paying the relatively low (by comparison) income taxes of this country.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Well, considering that he is a TD, and is therefore both logic and reality challenged, and since his actions can’t be called bright by any stretch of the imagination, is it any wonder that he would take off to a country with one of the highest and worst tax rates in the world, as well as having lots and lots of extradition treaties with the US. Bright just isn’t in this bozo’s repertoire. So he is in reality running true to form.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Dog
First Mate
First Mate

Post by The Dog »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:Having read this again, it strikes me as odd that this guy would flee to a country that has some of the steepest taxes in the world to get out of paying the relatively low (by comparison) income taxes of this country.
Actually we are by no means the most taxed in Europe, though clearly much more highly taxed than the USA. Presumably he just didn't fancy Libya.
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/re ... esults.pdf

Must go, my beer's getting cold.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

My apologies to my British cousins, it was late and I wasn't really thinking, while their tax structure is egregious in the extreme, it really doesn’t compare with Sweden’s, and this yutz might have had a better chance had he fled there of not being extradited, but like I said, not very bright.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Dog
First Mate
First Mate

Post by The Dog »

notorial dissent wrote:My apologies to my British cousins, it was late and I wasn't really thinking, while their tax structure is egregious in the extreme, it really doesn’t compare with Sweden’s, and this yutz might have had a better chance had he fled there of not being extradited, but like I said, not very bright.
Nothing to apologise for. Since there is now an extradition treaty between the EU and the USA

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 01):EN:NOT

at least in principle, it shouldn't make much difference to which EU country he flees.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

re: Extradition

Post by Number Six »

If a tax-payer has a large outstanding tax liability to a state which he/she has left, can he be extradicted for that, from let's say Florida, with it's lax rules, to New York state?
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Paul

Post by Paul »

Why take a chance? Move to Nevada instead, and let their courts actually protect you from the evil tax collectors, like they did for Mr. Hyatt.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stori ... 859&EDATE=
LPC

Re: re: Extradition

Post by LPC »

Number Six wrote:If a tax-payer has a large outstanding tax liability to a state which he/she has left, can he be extradicted for that, from let's say Florida, with it's lax rules, to New York state?
Extradition only applies to criminal matters, not civil liabilities like debts or taxes owed.

If you owe taxes to a state and move out of the state, the state can follow you to another state and enforce the tax liabilities just like any other creditor can follow you to enforce a debt. (Although I'm not sure the effect of the Full Faith and Credit clause on assessed taxes. If an assessed tax has the force of a judgment in State A, can State A file a record of the assessment in State B and collect the tax as though it was a judgment in State B?)
Dan Evans
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

Thank you, Sir.

Connecticut DRS publishes a top 100 list of both delinquent taxpayers and businesses. Many of the taxpayers have out of state adresses.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)