TP / sov citizen arrested in abortion Dr. murder case

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

TP / sov citizen arrested in abortion Dr. murder case

Post by Demosthenes »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... QD98HHJQO0

Article excerpt:
Kan. abortion doc killed in church; suspect held
By ROXANA HEGEMAN – 11 minutes ago

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — Dr. George Tiller, one of the nation's few providers of late-term abortions despite decades of protests and attacks, was shot and killed Sunday in a church where he was serving as an usher.

The gunman fled, but a 51-year-old suspect was detained some 170 miles away in suburban Kansas City three hours after the shooting, Wichita Deputy Police Chief Tom Stolz said.

Although Stolz refused to release the man's name, Johnson County sheriff's spokesman Tom Erickson identified the detained man as Scott Roeder. He has not been charged in the slaying and was expected to be taken to Wichita for questioning.
Demo.
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Re: TP / sov citizen arrested in abortion Dr. murder case

Post by Joey Smith »

The following was found on the Operation Rescue website at: http://www.operationrescue.org/pray-in- ... s-may-17-2

They have since removed it of course.
Pray in May to Stop Abortion, Wichita, KS, May 17-20, 2007

You are invited to join Operation Rescue on May 17-20 in Wichita, Kansas, the “Nation’s Abortion Capital,” to pray for an end to George R. Tiller’s late-term abortion business and for all pre-born babies everywhere to once again come under the protection of law.

Tiller was charged with 30 criminal counts related to the commission of illegal late-term abortions only to have them dismissed by pro-abortion politicians on dubious jurisdictional grounds.

Click here to view our hot new video about abortionist Tiller!

May is a beautiful time in Kansas and a great time to let the nation know that we will not stop until this gross injustice is rectified.

This will be a 77-hour round the clock prayer vigil.

If you cannot come to Wichita, we ask that you commit this matter to prayer during May 17-20 wherever God has you.

Let’s keep the pressure on George Tiller and the authorities until they are willing to bring him to justice!

Please click on the picture below to hear Bill O’Reilly discuss abortionist George Tiller. (3:17) Courtesy of kansasmeadowlark.com

ABOUT ABORTIONIST GEORGE R. TILLER

You can learn more about late-term abortionist George R. Tiller by reading “The Tiller Report II” and other OR resources now available in PDF format online. These reports have been carefully researched and documented by our skilled investigative team.

Click here to read “The Tiller Report II”

Click here to read “Justice Aborted” An Exposé Examining the Tiller Grand Jury

NEW! Click here to read “Where’s the Outcry?” an excellent editorial summarizing the Tiller case injustices, published in the Olathe Daily News.

What’s it like to get an abortion by Tiller? View a recent segment from The O’Reilly Factor (aired December 12, 2006) featuring a woman who describes her abortion and its devestating affects on her life. This is why we must draw a line in the sand and say, “It stops here!” Click the picture at the left to view this powerful video.

EVENT SCHEDULE
This schedule is tentative and subject to change. Check back soon for updated event times and locations.

This is a 77-hour round the clock prayer vigil.

DOWNLOAD a reproducible event flyer here!

Organized prayer will be daily at 8 AM, Noon, and 5 PM, unless otherwise noted. Please feel free to come and go any time during the 77 hours as God leads.
We encourage those who can to fast as God gives you grace, otherwise all meals are on your own.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Noon — Opening Press Conference and Prayer
5 PM — Organized Prayer

Friday, May 18, 2007

8 AM — Organized Prayer
Noon — Organized Prayer
5 PM — Organized Prayer

Saturday, May 19, 2007

8 AM — Organized Prayer
9 — 11:30 AM — Neighborhood Prayer Walk for Repentance of Clinic Workers
Noon — Organized Prayer
5 PM — Organized Prayer

Sunday, May 20, 2007

(We will suspend the 8 AM and Noon group prayers so that participants may attend church, if desired.)

Your choice:
10:00am: (Catholic Service) Blessed Sacrament, 3800 E Douglas Ave
10:30am: (Protestant Service) Heartland Community Church

5 PM — Closing Prayer

REGISTRATION

To register for this event, please send your name, address, phone number, and the number in your party to info@operationrescue.org. Or, you may simply call our office and let us know you are coming.

TOLL FREE: 1-800-705-1175
IN WICHITA: 316-683-6790

TRAVEL & ACCOMMODATIONS

Wichita, Kansas is located at the junction of US 54 and Interstate 35.

AIRPORTS:

Midcontinent Airport, Wichita, KS - This is the most convenient airport, but airfares into Midcontinent are often more expensive than flying into Oklahoma City or Kansas City.

Will Rogers World Airport, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - 161 miles due south of Wichita (approx. driving time to Wichita is 2 hrs. 17 min.)

Kansas City,International Airport, Kansas City, Missouri - 198 miles northeast of Wichita (approx. driving time to Wichita is 2 hrs. 40 min.)

HOTELS:

Motel 6
5736 W Kellogg Dr., Wichita, KS
(316) 945-8440
Rates: $43.99

Wichita Suites Hotel
5211 E. Kellogg, Wichita, KS (Next door to Tiller’s mill)
(316) 685-2233; 1-800-243-5953
Rates: Studios - Starting at $74.00 Sunday-Thursday
Starting at $62.00 Friday & Saturday

Studioplus
9450 E Corporate Hills Dr., Wichita, KS 67207
(316) 652-8844
Rates: $69.99

Fairfield Inn Wichita East
333 S. Webb Road, Wichita, KS
(316) 685-3777
Rates: $64.00-$74.00

Marriott Wichita
9100 E. Corporate Hills Dr., Wichita, KS
(316) 651-0333
Rates: $79.00-$114.00

Some hosting with local families is available. Please call the office at 1-800-705-1175 if you are in need of housing.

DONATIONS

Donations are very much appreciated to help offset the costs of this event.

To make a donation by check, please mail your gift to:

Operation Rescue
PO Box 782888
Wichita, KS 67278-2888

For credit card donations by telephone please call 1-800-705-1175.

To donate online using your credit card, please click here. (Easy process.)

To donate online using PayPal, click here.

This entry was posted on Sunday, March 11th, 2007 at 6:16 pm and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

9 Responses to “Pray in May to Stop Abortion, Wichita, KS, May 17-20, 2007”

Lisa M. Berg Says:
April 6th, 2007 at 8:53 am
Has Bill O’Reilly been invited to any of the Tiller events and if so what has been his reply? Has Fox news covered any of the events?

Gail Banker Armstrong Says:
April 12th, 2007 at 7:01 am
I agree with Lisa…Bill O’Reilly should be invited to attend one of these events…His support is important.
It is a wonderful idea to have this event when it is not snowing (hopfully!)
Peace…

Paul McGregor Says:
May 8th, 2007 at 7:10 am
You have support in UK to, where circumstances are even worse. I will be praying with you on these days.

Christobel Says:
May 13th, 2007 at 9:58 am
hi i’m from malaysia. I was doing doing some research for my assignment and came across this website. Would definitely be with you in prayer especially on these days.

Bill McKean Says:
May 14th, 2007 at 10:01 pm
The Wichita Eagle, the Daily Oklahoman and the Poynter Institute are sponsoring a regional conference for journalists “National Writer’s Workshop” at the Wichita Hyatt on May 19 & 20.

Too bad O’Reilly can’t fly out for the prayer vigil and for the writer’s conference to discuss the culture wars with the regional media. After all O’Reilly has stated that the Wichita Eagle is the worst newspaper in the US.

The website address is:

http://www.kansas.com/nww

Linda Cramer -Wich., KS Says:
May 16th, 2007 at 12:00 pm
Thank you to all who are supporting us in prayer. Your comments are encouraging. Let’s all pray for what seems impossible!! O Sovereign LORD! You have made the heavens and earth by your great power. Nothing is too hard for you! Jeremiah 32:17

Ric Dugan Says:
May 16th, 2007 at 4:17 pm
May our LORD and SAVIOR , JESUS CHRIST, BLESS and PROTECT FROM THE SNARES of the evil one, all who participate this weekend in the “Pray in May” prayer vigil sponsored by OR, and May the Lord Bless and protect the lives of all the staff at OR. Amen!

WE LOVE U JESUS !

:)

Y’all Remain Blessed,
Bro Ric

The Kinneys Says:
May 18th, 2007 at 2:46 pm
Coming up from Tulsa on Saturday to pray.There are only two of us, but better than none. “Where two or more are gathered, He will be in the midst”, right ? God has Tiller’s number and it won’t be long now.But God expects us to be accountable and pray and do what we can. OR, we pray for you too and thankyou for your hard work and commitment. Never give up!!!!

Scott Roeder Says:
May 19th, 2007 at 4:34 pm
Bleass everyone for attending and praying in May to bring justice to Tiller and the closing of his death camp.
Sometime soon, would it be feasible to organize as many people as possible to attend Tillers church (inside, not just outside) to have much more of a presence and possibly ask questions of the Pastor, Deacons, Elders and members while there? Doesn’t seem like it would hurt anything but bring more attention to Tiller.

Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Mail (will not be published) (required)

Website

Comments are welcome. Please keep in mind that comments posted are that of the poster only and not necessarily that of Operation Rescue or it's supporters. Keep all comments to the topic or story at hand. Off topic posts and debates should be posted in our forum. OR reserves the right to remove any comment for whatever reason. Thank you for understanding.
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

Found at http://www.adl.org/MWD/cocv1n3.asp for 1997:
July 7, Kansas: Scott Roeder is sentenced to sixteen months in state prison for parole violations following a 1996 conviction for having bomb components in his car trunk. Roeder, a sovereign citizen and tax protester, violated his parole by not filing tax returns or providing his social security number to his employer.
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

I spoke with one of Randall Terry's former theologically-friendly associates who challenged him on inciting violent, obstructionist and absolutist tactics, telling him he had turned the cause into an "idol". Terry never spoke to him again.

I'm not surprised by the Tax Protester link. They tend to have a blind spot for Romans 13.
Last edited by Number Six on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

And from the blotchy Bill O'Reilly:
Bill summarized in a heartfelt Talking Points Memo on Friday, November 10th: "If we as a society allow an undefined mental health exception in late-term abortions, then babies can be killed for almost any reason... This is the kind of stuff that happened in Mao's China and Hitler's Germany and Stalin's Soviet Union... If we allow this, America will no longer be a noble nation... If we allow Dr. George Tiller and his acolytes to continue, we can no longer pass judgment on any behavior by anybody."

Keep watching. There will be more.
And there was indeed more. Still, if the O'Reillys and Hannitys and Limbaughs of the world didn't engage in spittle-flying demonizing - Mao, Hitler, Stalin - they wouldn't do anything at all. That would be a shame.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

I'm not sure about Mao - whose China was seriously overpopulated - but Hitler and Stalin made a point of criminalizing abortions.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Leftist radicals used to have a slogan: "Every child is born with one mouth but two hands". They insisted that lots of people meant lots of power and development and that only an evil capitalist would claim overpopulation was a problem. That thought caused China to resist calls for population control thoroughout most of Mao's reign, and to pressure India to follow suit. Eventually the chinese government changed its mind and instituted the one child policy.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
grixit

Post by grixit »

Number Six wrote:I spoke with one of Randall Terry's former theologically-friendly associates who challenged him on inciting violent, obstructionist and absolutist tactics, telling him he had turned the cause into an "idol". Terry never spoke to him again.

I'm not surprised by the Tax Protester link. They tend to have a blind spot for Romans 13.

Some years ago, i was a clinic defender in Orange County. After one event, i went over to where Terry was having a rally. And i saw him persuade the crowd to bow. I mean a full kowtow, faces in the dirt, to show God how committed they were. That night he was on a local radio show. So i called in and challenged him on what appeared to me to be an empty show of piety, which evangelicals supposedly deplore. In answer he changed his reasoning and claimed that the bowing was for people to prove to themselves, not God, that they were serious.

A few years later, Terry added total opposition to birth control, the same as the Roman Catholic Church, to his position. His new slogan: "God is doing my family planning". This is extreme by Operation Rescue standards.

Still, i'm sure that Terry would never advocate murder, however little he might mourn the victim. I also doubt that he would get involved in the paytriot movement, if only because it would take too much time away from his cause.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Maybe I missed it, but on what basis was the person arrested for killing Dr. Tiller a TP/sovrun?
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
grixit

Post by grixit »

Go back up to Joey Smith's post.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

grixit wrote:Go back up to Joey Smith's post.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:Maybe I missed it, but on what basis was the person arrested for killing Dr. Tiller a TP/sovrun?
Here's an article from the Kansas City Star.
Suspect in George Tiller shooting is linked to anti-government group
Comments (0)
BY JUDY L. THOMAS
Kansas City Star

The suspect in custody in connection with the slaying of abortion doctor George Tiller was a member of an anti-government group in the 1990s and a staunch opponent of abortion.

Johnson County sheriff's officials said Scott P. Roeder, 51, of Merriam, was arrested on I-35 near Gardner about three hours after the shooting.

In the rear window of the 1993 blue Ford Taurus that he was driving was a red rose, a symbol often used by abortion opponents.

Those who know Roeder said he believed that killing abortion doctors was an act of justifiable homicide.

"I know that he believed in justifiable homicide," said Regina Dinwiddie, a Kansas City abortion opponent who made headlines in 1995 when she was ordered by a federal judge to stop using a bullhorn within 500 feet of any abortion clinic. "I know he very strongly believed that abortion was murder and that you ought to defend the little ones, both born and unborn."

Dinwiddie said she met Roeder while picketing outside the Kansas City Planned Parenthood clinic in 1996. Roeder walked into the clinic and asked to see the doctor, Robert Crist, she said.

"Robert Crist came out and he stared at him for approximately 45 seconds," she said. "Then he (Roeder) said, 'I've seen you now.' Then he turned his back and walked away, and they were scared to death. On the way out, he gave me a great big hug and he said, 'I've seen you in the newspaper. I just love what you're doing.' "

Roeder also was a subscriber to Prayer and Action News, a magazine that advocated the justifiable homicide position, said publisher Dave Leach, an anti-abortion activist from Des Moines.

"I met him once, and he wrote to me a few times," Leach said. "I remember that he was sympathetic to our cause, but I don't remember any details."

Leach said he met Roeder in Topeka when he went there to visit Shelley Shannon, who was in prison for the 1993 shooting of Tiller.

Active in 'Freemen'

Roeder, who in the 1990s was a manufacturing assemblyman, also was involved in the "Freemen" movement.

"Freemen" was a term adopted by those who claimed sovereignty from government jurisdiction and operated under their own legal system, which they called common-law courts. Adherents declared themselves exempt from laws, regulations and taxes and often filed liens against judges, prosecutors and others, claiming that money was owed to them as compensation.

In April 1996, Roeder was arrested in Topeka after Shawnee County sheriff's deputies stopped him for not having a proper license plate. In his car, officers said they found ammunition, a blasting cap, a fuse cord, a one-pound can of gunpowder and two 9-volt batteries, with one connected to a switch that could have been used to trigger a bomb.

Jim Jimerson, supervisor of the Kansas City ATF's bomb and arson unit, worked on the case.

"There wasn't enough there to blow up a building," Jimerson said at the time, but he said it could make several powerful pipe bombs.

Roeder, who then lived in Silver Lake, was stopped because he had an improper license plate that read "Sovereign private property. Immunity declared by law. Non-commercial American." Authorities said the plate was typical of those used by Freemen.

Roeder was arraigned on one count of criminal use of explosives and misdemeanor charges of driving on a suspended license, failure to carry a Kansas registration and failure to carry liability insurance.

He was found guilty and sentenced in June 1996 to 24 months of probation with intensive supervision and ordered to dissociate himself from anti-government groups that advocated violence.

But in December 1997, his probation ended six months early when the Kansas Court of Appeals overturned his conviction. The court held that evidence against Roeder was seized by authorities during an illegal search of his car.

'This guy is dangerous'

Morris Wilson, commander of the Kansas Unorganized Citizens Militia in the mid-1990s, said he knew Roeder fairly well.

"I'd say he's a good ol' boy except he was just so fanatic about abortion," said Wilson, who now lives in western Nebraska. "He was always talking about how awful abortion was. But there's a lot of people who think abortion is awful."

Suzanne James, former director of victim's services for Shawnee County, said she remembered Roeder.

"He was part of the One Supreme Court, a Freemen group based out of Shawnee County," James said. "He was fanatic about a lot of things. I went to one of his court appearances and thought, 'This guy is dangerous.' There were a lot of red flags that came up about him."

In recent years, someone using the name Scott Roeder has posted anti-Tiller comments on various Internet sites. One post, dated Sept. 3, 2007, and placed on a site called chargetiller.com, said that Tiller needed to be "stopped."

"It seems as though what is happening in Kansas could be compared to the 'lawlessness' which is spoken of in the Bible," it said. "Tiller is the concentration camp 'Mengele' of our day and needs to be stopped before he and those who protect him bring judgment upon our nation."

On May 19, 2007, a Scott Roeder commented on an invitation by Operation Rescue to join an event being held May 17-20 in Wichita, "the 'Nation's Abortion Capital,' to pray for an end to George R. Tiller's late-term abortion business and for all pre-born babies everywhere to once again come under the protection of law."

The post said: "Bleass everyone for attending and praying in May to bring justice to Tiller and the closing of his death camp. Sometime soon, would it be feasible to organize as many people as possible to attend Tillers church (inside, not just outside) to have much more of a presence and possibly ask questions of the Pastor, Deacons, Elders and members while there? Doesn't seem like it would hurt anything but bring more attention to Tiller."
(bolding added)

http://www.kansas.com/946/story/834448.html
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

CaptainKickback wrote:I see no mention of what he does for a living.

My magic 8-ball confirms my suspicions that he is a single, lonely, middle aged, white male, with a marginal job (when he is employed), with a spotty employment history and a lifetime of failures, desperate to be a "somebody." A real POS, who has and will hide behind religion's skirts to justify his actions. He will also expect to be viewed as a "hero" and to be lauded with praise and adored by mobs of people for his action and will be crushingly disappointed when no part of that fantasy comes to fruition.
Yes, your Magic 8-ball has performed flawlessly. From the article above:
Roeder, who in the 1990s was a manufacturing assemblyman, also was involved in the "Freemen" movement.
CaptainKickback wrote: If convicted, do you think he is headed for a maximum security facility, or a super-max?
I suppose it depends upon whether or not the Fed's get involved. My magic 8-ball says this will be his final destination: http://www.dc.state.ks.us/facilities/lcf
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Too bad there's no info in those articles about his past involvement with the US Constipation Rangers...
Demo.
Chrisfs

Post by Chrisfs »

This is really sad. Getting shot in a church while you are an usher at that church.
I didn't know there were sov cit/TPs in Operation Rescue. I honestly wonder if it's a coincidence or if a good number of radical anti abortionists end up being sov citizens as well. It's a weird combo, picking and choosing laws while imposing the laws you choose on others.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I don't have any data, this is just my opinion, but I can see a connect between the Right to Lifers (and I am vehemently anti abortion, while agreeing that it's not any of the governments damn business) and the Sovrun Citizens and also tax deniers. All three groups have a "holier than thou, I know better, the law is somehow so deeply flawed it shouldn't apply to me" attitude. As I said, I'm pro life. But the law is settled, short some earth shifting event, I cannot see how Roe V Wade will ever be overturned, because if nothing else no one or group that could change it in the SCOTUS can hope to survive the "advise and consent of the Senate" it takes to get there. And I think most politicians realize that too, they just pander to both sides of the issue to stir up a base and magnify the conflict for their own selfish political survival. I hate the extremists on both sides, not just here but on any issue that draws out the batshit crazy crowd. I dunno who to blame, but how did we get to where a relatively small group of nutcases get to dominate the discussion in such a way that no rational position will ever get considered.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Gregg wrote:I don't have any data, this is just my opinion, but I can see a connect between the Right to Lifers (and I am vehemently anti abortion, while agreeing that it's not any of the governments damn business) and the Sovrun Citizens and also tax deniers. All three groups have a "holier than thou, I know better, the law is somehow so deeply flawed it shouldn't apply to me" attitude.
Eric Rudolph was a sovereign wacko too.
As I said, I'm pro life. But the law is settled, short some earth shifting event, I cannot see how Roe V Wade will ever be overturned, because if nothing else no one or group that could change it in the SCOTUS can hope to survive the "advise and consent of the Senate" it takes to get there. And I think most politicians realize that too, they just pander to both sides of the issue to stir up a base and magnify the conflict for their own selfish political survival. I hate the extremists on both sides, not just here but on any issue that draws out the batshit crazy crowd. I dunno who to blame, but how did we get to where a relatively small group of nutcases get to dominate the discussion in such a way that no rational position will ever get considered.
(boldface added)

Sensationalism. I think mainstream media must shoulder some large part of the blame. The nutcases make for exciting news coverage at 7 and 11.
grixit

Post by grixit »

Yeah, one thing i didn't like when i was a clinic defender was some of the chants.

Like "Operation Rescue / Just like Ceaucescue!" Refering to the romanian dictator's promotion of population growth through industrial style orphanages. I always thought that was an unfair generalization.

What i liked best was when the antis would start singing "He's Got the Whole World in his Hands", and we'd join in. That always discombobulated them.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Unidyne
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Unidyne »

More on Bill O'Reilly and his comments on Dr. Tiller:
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2009/ ... index.html

"Conservapedia", Andrew Schlafly's blog that pretends to be a wiki, has on its entry on Dr. Tiller ( http://www.conservapedia.com/George_Tiller ):
"Luhra Warren, who used to work for Tiller, has claimed that she had been required to falsify medical records and lie to women over the phone.
In 2005, Christin Gilbert, a mentally retarded woman from Texas, died three days after having an abortion at Tiller's clinic. Tiller's clinic was officially cleared of any wrongdoing, but a grand jury was called to investigate. Tiller ended up being cleared of all charges.
A citizen-petitioned grand jury was impaneled in January 2008 to investigate Tiller, the second such grand jury that has been convened in recent years."

Among the sources for the entry are WorldNetDaily.com, Fox News and the attack website "dr-tiller.com", which, on its front page proclaims: "This website takes a revealing look at 'Tiller the Killer'." As of 6:50 PM Pacific Time, there is a notice concerning Dr. Tiller's murder that says, "Pro-Lifers who have dedicated their lives to nonviolence were quick to condemn this cowardly act of vigilantism. A statement by this webmaster will be posted during the evening of 1 June 2009."
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

From the Associated Press, by way of MSNBC:
Accused killer raged against abortion
Ex-wife says suspect in doctor's murder had virulent anti-government views
The Associated Press

[Monday, June 1, 2009]

WICHITA, Kan. - Scott Roeder harbored a burning, "eye-for-an-eye" anger toward abortion doctors. He once subscribed to a magazine suggesting "justifiable homicide" against them, and apparently likened Dr. George Tiller to the Nazi death-camp doctor Josef Mengele.

Roeder, 51, was in jail Monday on suspicion of murder, accused of shooting Tiller to death on Sunday as the doctor served as an usher at his Lutheran church in Wichita.

Police said it appears the gunman acted alone, and some anti-abortion groups moved quickly to distance themselves from the killing. Outside Tiller's clinic, the Kansas Coalition for Life placed signs saying members had prayed for Tiller's change of heart, "not his murder."

Roeder's ex-wife said his extreme anti-government beliefs contributed to the breakup of their marriage more than a decade ago. And Roeder's brother said he suffered from mental illness at various times in his life.

[ . . . .]

Roeder's family life began unraveling more than a decade ago when he got involved with anti-government groups, and then became "very religious in an Old Testament, eye-for-an-eye way," his former wife, Lindsey Roeder, told The Associated Press.

'Anti-tax stuff came first'

"The anti-tax stuff came first, and then it grew and grew. He became very anti-abortion," said Lindsey Roeder, who was married to Scott Roeder for 10 years but "strongly disagrees with his beliefs."

"That's all he cared about is anti-abortion. `The church is this. God is this.' Yadda yadda," she said.

Lindsey Roeder said that the early years of the marriage were good and that Scott Roeder worked in an envelope factory. But she said he moved out of their home after he became involved with the Freemen movement, an anti-government group that discouraged the paying of taxes. The Roeders have one son, now 22.

"When he moved out in 1994, I thought he was over the edge with that stuff," his ex-wife said. "He started falling apart. I had to protect myself and my son."

In 1996, Roeder (pronounced ROW-der) was arrested in Topeka after being stopped by sheriff's deputies because his car lacked a valid license plate. Instead, it bore a tag declaring him a "sovereign" and immune from state law. In the trunk, deputies found materials that could be assembled into a bomb.

He was convicted and sentenced to two years on probation and ordered to stop associating with violent anti-government groups. But the Kansas Court of Appeals overturned his conviction in 1997, ruling that authorities seized evidence against Roeder during an illegal search of his car.

The appeals court ruling appeared to energize him, Lindsey Roeder said.

Became 'self-righteous'

"When they let him out because of the illegal search that made him even more self-righteous. He would say, `See, I'm right, and you're wrong,'" she said.

[ . . . . ]

Vigilantism condemned

Operation Rescue condemned Tiller's killing as vigilantism and "a cowardly act," and the group's president, Troy Newman, said Roeder "has never been a member, contributor or volunteer."

Dave Leach, publisher of the magazine Prayer and Action News, said he met Roeder about 15 years ago. A decade ago, Roeder subscribed to the quarterly magazine, which is published in Iowa and has said "justifiable homicide" against abortion providers can be supported, Leach said.

"Scott is not my hero in that sense; he has not inspired me to shoot an abortionist," Leach said in an e-mail. "But definitely, he will be the hero to thousands of babies who will not be slain because Scott sacrificed everything for them."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31052280/
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet