The Brown criminal trial

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Re: The Brown criminal trial

Post by Demosthenes »

jg wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:http://www.redcrayons.net/
After reading about the Browns, when I continued down and read the next article (which was quite enjoyable) it was not apparent what sentence, if any, Michael Irving ever received.
Please help the readers with another entry that describes the sentence given in that case, thanks.
Oops. Will do.
Demo.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Dan raises an excellent point: is the standard for determining whether Elaine was subject to imminent threat of death or serious injury, so as to justify her weapon possession, an objective standard ("events as seen by a reasonable person"), a subjective standard ("events as Elaine saw them"), or a mixed standard ("events as a reasonable person in Elaine's position would see them")? If Elaine's actual belief is irrelevant, then arguably her state of mind is irrelevant, and thus even her own contemporaneous statements indicating state of mind should be inadmissible hearsay if she offers them through other witnesses.

Twenty minutes of research - all I have for now - doesn't give a definitive answer. I would go with "objective", though. The case law supports the actual language Lange requests: "During the time period alleged in the count Elaine Brown was under an unlawful and present threat of death or serious bodily injury." Not "believed she was", but "was". See, e.g., United States v. Deleveaux, 205 F.3d 1292 (11th Cir. 2000); United States v. White, 552 F.3d 240 (2d Cir. 2009). That sounds like an objective standard. If so, that's going to be exceedingly difficult to meet.

As for the discussion with JRB over state-of-mind hearsay, I don't think we're saying very different things. Iff Elaine's state of mind is relevant at all, the only witnesses who could testify to what otherwise would be hearsay were those present at the time of the charged events. Those folks clearly have a privilege to refuse to answer, and would have to be fools not to claim it.

Hmm. What else would they have to be?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Dan also raises another good point - where can we obtain said Constitution Ranger mousepads?

This should be an interesting trial. I think its unavoidable that at some time Ed will be tossed from the courtroom. Whatever they're paying his lawyer - it's not enough.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Imalawman wrote:Dan also raises another good point - where can we obtain said Constitution Ranger mousepads?

This should be an interesting trial. I think its unavoidable that at some time Ed will be tossed from the courtroom. Whatever they're paying his lawyer - it's not enough.
I can only think of one possible benefit to being the standby defense lawyer in this case. No matter what the rest of the lawyer's legal career is like, it is unlikely to feature a case which tries his or her patience and sanity like this one does.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Imalawman wrote:Dan also raises another good point - where can we obtain said Constitution Ranger mousepads?
They must be handing them out as door prizes at the courthouse.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

webhick wrote:
They must be handing them out as door prizes at the courthouse.
Or hanging them in the toilet stalls.... :shock:
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Isn't Ed the only one who ever threatened Elaine?
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Updated with yesterday's stuff:

http://www.redcrayons.net/
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Today.

Best day yet.
Demo.
webhick

Post by webhick »

Demosthenes wrote:Today.

Best day yet.
You managed to procure that door that ErsatzAnatchist was obsessed over?
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Best day yet.
Eagerly awaiting update.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

In the meantime, check out http://www.concordmonitor.com and read the article about the :Browns. There are some wonderfully unhinged comments from Joe Haas, which by themselves are worth the time to check out the site.

I'm about to suggest starting a pool to pick the date on which this basket case gets disbarred....
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
webhick

Post by webhick »

UGA Lawdog wrote:Haas is an attorney? In which state?
Frickintardistan*

*Shamelessly stolen from ENM
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

webhick wrote:
Frickintardistan
As well as Whackistan.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Best day yet.
Tease.

And just to clarify/confirm: Your description of "Day 3" is your second entry for the trial, because you skipped jury selection. And although the entry is dated July 2, it's a description of the events of July 1, which was Day 3. Right?
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Okay, someone go drag the meloncat outta the bar and get her in front of a keyboard, I have absolutely no patience for the tease, I NEED MY FIX!

:mrgreen:

(decaf, I know, decaf)
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Gregg wrote:Okay, someone go drag the meloncat outta the bar and get her in front of a keyboard, I have absolutely no patience for the tease, I NEED MY FIX!

:mrgreen:

(decaf, I know, decaf)
Never, ever, do not even THINK ABOUT, step between Demosthenes and an apple martini (or other carefully chosen libation du jour).

If you are extremely lucky, all you will lose are minor body parts.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

LPC wrote:

Best day yet.
Tease.

And just to clarify/confirm: Your description of "Day 3" is your second entry for the trial, because you skipped jury selection. And although the entry is dated July 2, it's a description of the events of July 1, which was Day 3. Right?
I've edited the titles to clarify. I'm posting my notes a few hours after the events take place each night. Since I'm a night owl, I often blog after midnight (which means my mornings in court are ... unpleasant.)
Demo.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

webhick wrote:
Frickintardistan*

*Shamelessly stolen from ENM
Actually, i was the one who named that particular state of mind, but of course it is based on the phrase "frikin tard", which is not mine.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

State of Profound Mental Derangement. He is a resident of Schizoid County.