Legal Definition of a Dollar

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
LegalEagleMan

Re: Legal Definition of a Dollar

Post by LegalEagleMan »

Joey Smith wrote:
Brandybuck wrote:
LegalEagleMan wrote:I have already told you, if it's not defined it doesn't exist.
Wow, the level of ignorant superstition underlying the statement is impressive!
Yeah, that really is a remarkable statement -- does this mean that if "air" is not defined that he will not attempt to breathe? Congress is not required to define the obvious.
Who said objects do not exist that haven't no definition. The object will exist whether or not humans have define such.

What do people smoke out here skittles from flying unicorns.

Now we have words that exist that don't exist. Great. Cool, I am going to aljdhjfhayeeh and ahdndhagajf. See ya later jfueuehdg.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

GoldandSilverEagles wrote:
Famspear wrote: No, GoldandSilver, it doesn't make one "wonder".
Well, you don't count. lol
It doesn't make you wonder and it doesn't make me wonder and it doesn't make anyone else wonder.
hmmm... are you a clairvoyant son?
By your line of "reasoning," you obviously must have decided you have "nothing better to do with your holiday Sunday time," since you're posting here too. I kinda doubt that this forum is the only thing you engaged yourself with today, just as this forum is not the only thing I (or probably anyone else here) enjoyed all day. So, put a cork in your play-pretend bottle of phony rhetoric.
And your point is? If you have one...other than having drunken diarrhea of the mouth.
You sound drunk.
No, I don't sound drunk. And yes, I am clairvoyant. And you got my point, pal.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
GoldandSilverEagles

Post by GoldandSilverEagles »

Famspear wrote:
GoldandSilverEagles wrote:
Famspear wrote: No, GoldandSilver, it doesn't make one "wonder".
Well, you don't count. lol
It doesn't make you wonder and it doesn't make me wonder and it doesn't make anyone else wonder.
hmmm... are you a clairvoyant son?
By your line of "reasoning," you obviously must have decided you have "nothing better to do with your holiday Sunday time," since you're posting here too. I kinda doubt that this forum is the only thing you engaged yourself with today, just as this forum is not the only thing I (or probably anyone else here) enjoyed all day. So, put a cork in your play-pretend bottle of phony rhetoric.
And your point is? If you have one...other than having drunken diarrhea of the mouth.
You sound drunk.
No, I don't sound drunk. And yes, I am clairvoyant. And you got my point, pal.
That you are a drunk with diarrhea of the mouth. Then yes, I agree, I got your point ~pal. lol
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Keep it on track or the thread will be locked....
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Let's try this, then....

The Coinage Act of 1792 specified that the dollar was to be the unit of money within the United States (so much for the definition and meaning being established by the Constitution). The Act specified the weight and fineness of the dollar and of other coins. Up until then, the sterling system was still in common use.

However, the coin specifications were such that gold coins either got exported or were melted for bullion, while new US silver dollars wer bought with worn Spanish dollars and were exported. That's part of the reason why gold coinage was minimal for many years (lack of bullion was another, which helped to restrict the economy of the U.S.), and that's why no silver dollars were coined between 1804 and 1839 (the famous 1804 dollar is a restrike, dating from 1834). The fineness of the silver coins was changed from .8924 to .900, and that of the gold coins was reduced from .9167 to .8992, and then raised to .900.

In 1853, the silver weight of fractional coins was reduced so that the face value of the coins exceeded their value as silver bullion. The weight was further adjusted in 1873. The Coinage Act of 1965 removed silver from the dime and half dollar, and reduced the fineness of the half to .400. Silver was removed completely in 1971, from it and the new Ike dollar.

The point of all this? Simply, that Congress can, and has, exercised its power to regulate the value of the dollar, in this and other ways.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
LegalEagleMan

Post by LegalEagleMan »

The point of all this? Simply, that Congress can, and has, exercised its power to regulate the value of the dollar, in this and other ways.
Congress has no authority to regulate the value of the DOLLAR, see Constitution. This has already been covered multiple times. The dollar is set by the Constitution, see various Supreme Court decisions, I already posted one you probably can find plenty of other ones.
To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;
jkeeb
Pirate Judge of Which Things Work

Post by jkeeb »

Legal Beagle

Do you even read your own posts? You say that:
Congress has no authority to regulate the value of the DOLLAR
Then post from the Constitution:
To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin,
Remember that CtC is about the rule of law.

John J. Bulten
LegalEagleMan

Post by LegalEagleMan »

jkeeb wrote:Legal Beagle

You apparently didn't read. My god what kind of things do people smoke out here.

The have absolutely no authority to rewrite the Constitution. They can regulate "money" and the "value" of. They have no authority to redefine DOLLAR. End of Story.
Imalawman
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

LegalEagleMan wrote:
jkeeb wrote:Legal Beagle

You apparently didn't read. My god what kind of things do people smoke out here.
[edits]

[1] The[y] have absolutely no authority to rewrite the Constitution.
[2] They can regulate "money" and the "value" of.
[3] Therefore, they have no authority to redefine DOLLAR.
And the non sequitor of the year award goes to......Legal Eagle Man!!!! Give him a hand folks, he worked long and hard for this.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
LegalEagleMan

Post by LegalEagleMan »

Imalawman wrote: And the non sequitor of the year award goes to......Legal Eagle Man!!!! Give him a hand folks, he worked long and hard for this.
Mr. Irrelevant award goes to Imalawman he tells people to stay on topic than goes on to produce irrelevant material. Give him a hand folks.

When all else fails you can start the failed comedy act going again, the old standby alive and well. His next act is going to be, your mom is so fat...
LegalEagleMan

Post by LegalEagleMan »

LegalEagle, why do you have such a huge, wild hair "tickling your fancy" about what the definition of what a dollar is?
I have no fancy at all. The question has been settled for over two centuries.
Imalawman

Post by Imalawman »

LegalEagleMan wrote:
Imalawman wrote: And the non sequitor of the year award goes to......Legal Eagle Man!!!! Give him a hand folks, he worked long and hard for this.
Mr. Irrelevant award goes to Imalawman he tells people to stay on topic than goes on to produce irrelevant material. Give him a hand folks.

When all else fails you can start the failed comedy act going again, the old standby alive and well. His next act is going to be, your mom is so fat...
It was on topic, I was humorously pointing out that your "thesis" makes no logical sense.
LegalEagleMan

Post by LegalEagleMan »

Imalawman wrote: It was on topic, I was humorously pointing out that your "thesis" makes no logical sense.
There was and is no "thesis", you confusion continues. If it hasn't been settled for over two centuries it surely will be news to Congress. Good luck with that.
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

LegalEagleMan wrote:
Congress has no authority to regulate the value of the DOLLAR, see Constitution. This has already been covered multiple times. The dollar is set by the Constitution, see various Supreme Court decisions, I already posted one you probably can find plenty of other ones.
To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;
You are STILL as wrong as you can be.

Let's start with the entire concept of "dollar". Although the word "dollar" appears in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, there was no official coin or unit of money known as the "dollar" during our first years of existence. The references to "dollars" spoke only of Spanish Milled Dollars, the silver 8 reales coin which was produced in profusion by Spanish colonies and which was the most common coin in circulation in the early days of independence (when it was not cut up into as many as 8 bits; hence "two bits" for a quarter dollar). In fact, the term "dollar" was completely unofficial; many coins of that size and weight were called "dollars" after the famous Joachimsthalers which set the standard. Despite this, it was by no means certain that the dollar would become our official unit of currency, as the 1783 Nova Constellation patterns, in which 1000 Units equaled one Mark, prove.

The Coinage Act of 1792 was the first time where Congress exercised its authority to coin money, and regulate the value thereof (for what is a dollar if not money?). Coinage acts of 1853, 1873, and 1965, plus a few that I'm forgetting, further regulated the value of the dollar by varying the weight and composition of the U.S. coinage. Then, too, there are the various pieces of legislation regarding issuance of various forms of currency.

Your Supreme Court cases are either not on point, or else they simply contain dicta which you are inflating to equal importance with the holding in the case. Play whatever TP magic word games you want to play; but to anyone who does not start with the desired premise and then search for magic words to support that premise, Congress has the right to regulate the value of the dollar as it has, whether or not that truth is politically palatable to you.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

LegalEagleMan wrote:
LegalEagle, why do you have such a huge, wild hair "tickling your fancy" about what the definition of what a dollar is?
I have no fancy at all. The question has been settled for over two centuries.
That's just the problem. You just have a hangup on an 18th century definition which you, and a few others, are fixated. To the rest of us, it is crystal clear that the meaning of "dollar", and the standards of its measure, have evolved over the years, like it or not.
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

The Coinage Act of 1792 specified that the dollar was to be the unit of money within the United States (so much for the definition and meaning being established by the Constitution).
Are you sure about that interpretation? The act stated that "the money of account of the United States shall be expressed in dollars or units, dismes or tenths, cents or hundredths, milles or thousandths, ..." Does that specify the unit of money within the US or just specify the unit of money used in the government accounts?
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

The argument that Congress does not have the power to regulate the value of a dollar is just plain ridiculous -- and no credible constitutional or legal scholar or anybody else to matters believes in such a quack theory.

Thread locked as being too long; if somebody wants to start another thread, go for it.
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -