Brown trial, Part 2

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: Brown trial, Part 2

Post by Famspear »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:First, I'm not suggesting, I am coming right out and saying that we do NOT have the right to defend our property "by any means we feel like".
Yes, and in the Browns' situation, it was even worse: they had been duly convicted of crimes in a federal court, and were resisting attempts to take them into custody. There is no general legal right to do that -- at a person's own residence or anywhere else.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

So, if just one of the charges carries a 30 year sentence MINIMUM, as stated in the Associated Press news story, and assuming for the sake of argument that the 30 year sentence were to start today (and they haven't been sentenced, yet, presumably), then Ed -- who is now about 67 years old -- would be about 92 years old at the time of release if he serves only 85% of that sentence.

Do I have that right?

I believe Elaine is roughly a couple of years older than Ed.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
cynicalflyer
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by cynicalflyer »

Famspear wrote:and assuming for the sake of argument that the 30 year sentence were to start today (and they haven't been sentenced, yet, presumably)
Sentencing September 3.

And per BOP, Ed's 66 and Elaine is 68.
"Where there is no law, but every man does what is right in his own eyes, there is the least of real liberty." -- General Henry M. Robert author, Robert's Rules of Order
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Famspear wrote:Do I have that right?
Not completely.

They have to finish their previously-imposed sentences before the new ones start running.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

wserra wrote:
Not completely.

They have to finish their previously-imposed sentences before the new ones start running.
Eewwwwww.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Famspear wrote:
wserra wrote:
Not completely.

Eewwwwww.
Sadly, but appropriately, they will die as prison inmates.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
cynicalflyer

Post by cynicalflyer »

Wait, wait, what's that I hear? Off in the distance? The thousands, nay, TENS of thousands of "patriots" that are coming to their rescue?

Naw. As LPC and Demo noted previously, almost all the Brown "supporters" have left and gone until the next wack job shows up somewhere.
"Where there is no law, but every man does what is right in his own eyes, there is the least of real liberty." -- General Henry M. Robert author, Robert's Rules of Order
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

I just want to applaud the Marshall's office for a fine job with this stand-off. There's no rallying cry here, no Alamo, no Waco..etc... just a couple old, washed up nutballs that will fade out of memory. Had they wanted they could have had them out in bodybags in 30 mins. Great jobs guys, well worth the money and time involved.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
mutter

Post by mutter »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:
mutter wrote: As you suggesting we do not have teh right to defend our property by any means we feel like?
Being civilized we do need boundries of course, we cant have people setting land mines.

the question was cos the gov contended they did it to kill or injure the Feds. So if these devices where done before the seige that theory goes out the window.
First, I'm not suggesting, I am coming right out and saying that we do NOT have the right to defend our property "by any means we feel like". For example, I do NOT have the right to set up machine gun nests at each corner of my property, and an anti-tank gun pointing out the front door.

Second, what the :Browns did was unlawful whether or not it was before the siege. Besides, if you really think that the :Browns didn't do what they did with the Feds in mind, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
Like I sad civilized people have boundries. There are plenty of non lethal bobby traps, snares etc. I learned a bunch in the military and in tracking school. To catch animals of course.
Of course I am not as crazy as ed seems to be. And I didnt know there were local laws prohibiting such things. I never would have expected we would need a law telling someone dont dig a dead fall trap lined with spikes on your property.
Then again like I said I am not that crazy.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Imalawman wrote:I just want to applaud the Marshall's office for a fine job with this stand-off. There's no rallying cry here, no Alamo, no Waco..etc... just a couple old, washed up nutballs that will fade out of memory. Had they wanted they could have had them out in bodybags in 30 mins. Great jobs guys, well worth the money and time involved.
Worth repeating, Lawman. Very true.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

mutter wrote:...
Like I sad civilized people have boundries. There are plenty of non lethal bobby traps, snares etc. I learned a bunch in the military and in tracking school. To catch animals of course.
Of course I am not as crazy as ed seems to be. And I didnt know there were local laws prohibiting such things. I never would have expected we would need a law telling someone dont dig a dead fall trap lined with spikes on your property.
Then again like I said I am not that crazy.
What a lot of people who engage in this kind of "end of the world as we know it" preparation fail to consider is the law of unintended consequences. When time passes and the world doesn't end, unsuspecting people who have no knowledge of the booby traps or even stored explosives wind up with some nasty surprises. Not to mention what can happen to wandering children and pets.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

Thread too long -- time to open a new one.
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -