Van Pelt or Merrill that is the question

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

See my post in the "termination of tax liens" thread.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
silversopp

Post by silversopp »

Imalawman wrote: Ah yes, motor scooter v. Jesus Christ - an instant classic in insane lawsuits. One of my favorites.
Hey, I couldn't find the text of that case (I think it died with the old boards), could someone report that? I need a good chuckle.
Disilloosianed

Post by Disilloosianed »

Oh yes, please! (I'm new and missed it)
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

My personal favorite:

UNITED STATES of America, Plaintiff,
v.
FORTY-SEVEN CASES OF FIREARMS, Respondent.
There are better. I have seen a reported case called "United States v. [some number of] cans of Tuna Fish," and there is a U.S. Supreme Court case called "United States v. [number] Barrels of Coca-Cola."

The latter is a real hoot. It was a very early case, back when cocaine was still legal; the government sued the Coca-Cola company for consumer fraud, for calling their product "Coca-" when it didn't actually contain any cocaine.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

We might as well fill in the Van Pelt history since the archives are gone.
September 14, 1996 Saturday 1ST EDITION

SECTION: A SECTION; Pg. A-01

LENGTH: 1198 words

HEADLINE: State charges 12 in Freemen check scheme

BYLINE: By Howard Pankratz, Denver Post Legal Affairs Writer

BODY:
Colorado officials charged yesterday that a dozen people flooded Colorado with nearly $ 4 million in bad checks as part of the anti-government Freemen movement's effort to undermine the U.S. government and its treasury.

The state grand jury's indictments against the dozen were unsealed yesterday.

The charges say that between Sept. 5, 1995, and July 1, more than two dozen checks signed by Montana Freemen leaders LeRoy Schweitzer, Rodney Skurdal and Dale Jacobi showed up at business and government offices in Colorado.

"The focus of this investigation has been on the issuance, negotiation and attempted negotiation of millions of dollars of bogus checks throughout Colorado," said Denver District Attorney Bill Ritter, who oversaw the investigation with Jefferson County District Attorney Dave Thomas.

"These checks were issued by LeRoy Schweitzer and Dale Jacobi, Daniel Petersen, Rodney Skurdal" from the Freemen's "Justus Township" near Jordan, Mont.

"Schweitzer and his cohorts, with the exception of Skurdal, were not charged based on a joint state-federal decision not to complicate the federal prosecution of the individuals who have been charged in federal indictments," Ritter continued. "These checks are important because the express purpose of Schweitzer and his cohorts in issuing and circulating these checks is to bankrupt the federal government."

Thomas said the Freemen have put considerable effort into making the checks - dubbed "comptroller warrants" - resemble valid legal instruments.

"If you take a look at this check, it is drawn on the Treasury of the United States," he said, holding up one of the Freemen documents. "I've never looked at my tax refund check, but I would suspect that is what it is drawn on."

The checks are embossed, the money amounts imprinted by machine and the signatures - whether of Schweitzer, Skurdal or Jacobi - look official, Thomas said. "I could see why people would be fooled by these checks," he said.

Schweitzer and Petersen were nabbed in an FBI sting operation March 25 near the Freemen compound, precipitating an 81-day standoff with other Freemen.

The standoff ended June 13. Among those surrendering were Skurdal and Jacobi.

The Montana group is being held in Billings, Mont., awaiting trial on a myriad of federal charges ranging from threatening public officials to issuing bogus money orders and checks.

The Freemen adhere to a self-government philosophy centered on the notion of common-law courts. They reject nearly all federal and state authority.

People espousing Freemen-like beliefs are sometimes tax protesters and sometimes refuse to have license plates or driver's licenses.

In addition to the 26 checks signed by Schweitzer and the Montana group, five other checks were signed by Freemen "disciple" Elizabeth Broderick of Los Angeles. Broderick is on trial in Los Angeles for allegedly perpetrating a check fraud scheme of $ 800 million.

Federal prosecutors claim Broderick hatched her scheme after attending one of Schweitzer's Montana seminars last year.

In Colorado, David J. Schiller Sr., formerly of Colorado Springs and now of Stevenville, Mont., is accused of trying to pass Broderick's checks in Denver, El Paso and Arapahoe counties.

Also indicted were Skurdal, Judith Linton Clarke, Barry P. Taylor, David M. Van Pelt, Richard Walter Johnson, Mary Severance, Joseph Nicholas Repac, Richard Melvin Reeser, Douglas A. Risch, Rickie Allen Wilson and Robert Joseph Glaser.

The grand jury alleged that their activities covered the Front Range from Pueblo to Boulder.

Generally, the defendants are accused of trying to pay debts by submitting bad checks for about double the amount owed, then seeking a refund on the overpayment.

Their efforts had a real impact on businesses and governments at the local level, prosecutors said. And some - such as Wilson, Severance and Johnson - have done further damage by filing liens against public officials or others they perceive to be enemies.

The indictments say Wilson, Severance and Johnson tried to disrupt title to other people's property through the filing of false liens.

"In addition to the attempts to obstruct and interfere with the operations of the federal government there was significant intrusion on the activities of local government as well by the filing of (lien) documents," Thomas said. "We've seen a pattern with Wilson, as well as other individuals, who have filed lien documents."

"Filing these kinds of fraudulent documents at our county clerk and recorder's office has significant impact on the legitimate exercise of these offices' business."

Liens also were sometimes filed with title companies to ensure that a person would be obstructed in transacting business with their property, Ritter said. THE INDICTED SUSPECTS

Rodney Owen Skurdal, 43, Jordan, Mont., accused of trying to pass a bogus $ 4,006 check at a Denver Miller Stockman store to pay for clothing.

Judith Linton Clarke, 56, Denver, accused of trying to pass six checks - all signed by LeRoy Schweitzer - in Denver, at Home Savings of America, Denver County Treasurer's Office, J.C. Penney Department Store, Colorado National Bank, Denver County Court, and Rocky Mountain Bank Card. The checks totaled $ 136,429.

Barry P. Taylor, 53, a New Zealand citizen living in Westminster, accused of trying to pass three checks, all signed by Dale Jacobi, totaling $ 33,414.

David M. Van Pelt, 38, Colorado Springs, charged with distributing bogus instruments, including one check signed by Schweitzer, for $ 7,738.

Richard Walter Johnson, 50, and Mary Severance, 60, both of Pueblo, accused of attempting to pass two Schweitzer checks totaling $ 801,104. Johnson also is accused of trying to pass another Schweitzer check for $ 9,155, and Severance is charged with trying to pass two other checks amounting to $ 384,252, one of those signed by Schweitzer.

David J. Schiller Sr., 34, Stevenville, Mont., accused of tendering checks totaling $ 176,500. They were signed by Freemen disciple Elizabeth Broderick of Los Angeles.

Joseph Nicholas Repac, 49, Westminster, charged with attempting to pass three Schweitzer-signed checks totaling $ 1.65 million. He also is charged with extortion because he allegedly threatened to financially ruin several people at Medved Chevrolet.

Richard Melvin Reeser, 54, a Thornton resident and former city councilman, accused of assisting Repac in presenting a $ 500,000 check to the Platte Valley Bank.

Douglas A. Risch, 53, Boulder, accused of attempting to pass five checks totaling $ 740,396, all signed by Schweitzer. The grand jury said that in one case, Risch succeeded. To pay off $ 22,540 in Colorado income tax, Risch sent a bogus Schweitzer check of $ 46,800. He demanded an immediate refund of the overpayment, and the state reportedly sent him a check for $ 24,259.

Rickie Allen Wilson, 45, Conifer, accused of attempting to cash three Schweitzer-signed checks amounting to $ 46,613.

Robert Joseph Glaser, 51, Colorado Springs, accused of using public money orders - an early version of the Freemen bogus checks - to pay more than $ 700 in traffic fines in El Paso County.

GRAPHIC: PHOTOS: Denver Post file photos Montana Freemen leaders Rod-Skurdal and Dale Jacobi signed some of the bad checks.

LOAD-DATE: September 16, 1996
David Merrill

coherence

Post by David Merrill »

Thank you Lawdog;

A careful reading, however, disclosed that Merrill didn't sue the real Jesus Christ.
Karen was so excited about the suit she mixed up many of the facts. After the Manhattan Judgment I wrote her a thank you letter and she called and simply told me she had no idea about how to respond [to the timeline; the clerk refusing to file the Judgment on the morning of September 11].

However she was Nottingham's cohort for a few years as her career bounced between the Denver Post and the Rocky Mountain News. Last I heard of her she was trying to threaten people into thinking there would be no more paper filings at all; a plug for electronic filing that was so rediculous I cannot locate the articles by search engine. http://www.co.uscourts.gov/orders/g2005-2.pdf But if you were an attorney and you didn't want to register electronic for the $60 the clerk would notify of a hearing at 6:00 a.m. in Nottingham's court where things would be very messy - getting him there that early in the morning! I wish those articles were still available for a good laugh.

Nottingham keeps me chuckling though. His magistrate Watanabe gets all huffy about sanctions and contempt etc... sets useless hearings etc... - bad business to reveal how federal judges are responsible fiduciaries/bankers - not judges at all. Nottingham as much as admits to it, especially now he is chief magistrate up there. Used to be if he was selected for a Libel of Review he would immediately dismiss the cause with his template about "frivolous from beginning to end". But now that he has to contend with our right to redeem lawful money by Title 12 U.S.C. §411, he hides behind Watanabe's black skirt and pretends he is delivering justice.
This presumption is erroneous and based upon endorsements of private credit from the Federal Reserve that have never been made in good faith. The subjection to Special Drawing Rights (Paper Gold) is one thing but presuming endorsement of fractional lending practiced outside the scope of lawful money is unlawful and such presumption is defeated by law herein, nunc pro tunc. See Title 12 U.S.C. §411; Suitor is and always would have exercised right to handle lawful money had the option ever been presented in good faith...
Regards,

David Merrill.
grammarian44

Post by grammarian44 »

grammarian44 wrote:Demo pointed out to me some time ago that David is mentally ill--and not just neurotic, but psychotic. I've since become convinced of this. I think we ought to just leave him alone--ignore him, but leave him alone.
David's latest post does nothing but reinforce the above. There's no point in further dialogue with him or about him.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

I'm going to have to concur that we should probably stop feeding SFBPKADVP. The TP forum has almost turned into pointing and laughing at one crazy guy in a corner. (and this forum is about pointing and laughing at many crazy guys in many corners) Since its my thread, I suppose I'm to blame. I guess I just thought he might admit that he got caught and leave, but obviously, that's not happening.

But it is just so darn amusing.....
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Imalawman wrote:he might admit that he got caught and leave, but obviously, that's not happening.
Being crazy means never having to admit that you're wrong/caught. Take it from me, I should know.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

David:

Why do you keep responding to posts about someone named Van Pelt?
David Merrill

Post by David Merrill »

Nikki wrote:David:

There you have it. That is just how important you are Nikki.

Regards,

David Merrill.
silversopp

Post by silversopp »

David Merrill wrote:

Have you ever thought that you'd be more useful if you stopped being a loon and instead took care of your family?
David Merrill

Post by David Merrill »

silversopp wrote:
David Merrill wrote:

Have you ever thought that you'd be more useful if you stopped being a loon and instead took care of your family?
Things are fine. Thanks for asking though.

I think that you fail to realize how useful to society I am.

Regards,

David Merrill.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

David Merrill wrote:Things are fine. Thanks for asking though.

How can things be fine for your daughter when you are not paying support for her? Or does it matter to you that she has nothing to show that her father actually makes sacrifices for her so that she is supported and cared for?

And how are you useful to society if society ends up having to care for your daughter because you do not?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Randall
Warden of the Quatloosian Sane Asylum
Location: The Deep South, so deep I'm almost in Rhode Island.

Post by Randall »

David Merrill wrote:I think that you fail to realize how useful to society I am.
Yes, there are times we need cannon fodder.
silversopp

Post by silversopp »

David Merrill wrote: Things are fine. Thanks for asking though.

You're flat broke and your child is suffering because you decide to an unproductive wasteland. You may be fine with being a deadbeat, but you should think a little bit about your offspring.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

The Observer wrote:How can things be fine for your daughter when you are not paying support for her?
He has a daughter? That's kind of creepy.

It also seems to undermine one of the premises of Darwin's theory of evolution. But the existence of Van Pelt also undermines the idea of intelligent design.

So he presents a conundrum regardless of your views on evolution.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
silversopp

Post by silversopp »

LPC wrote:It also seems to undermine one of the premises of Darwin's theory of evolution. But the existence of Van Pelt also undermines the idea of intelligent design.

So he presents a conundrum regardless of your views on evolution.
Maybe an Intelligent Designer enjoys a good laugh just like the rest of us?

It does pose a problem for an all-knowing, all-powerful, loving god though.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

LPC wrote:It also seems to undermine one of the premises of Darwin's theory of evolution. But the existence of Van Pelt also undermines the idea of intelligent design.
I don't think that Darwin's theory eliminates the possibility that less than successful life forms will ever stop appearing - only that eventually they will be eliminated; mutations alone are factor of probability and there must be a lesser probability that the mutations may be passed on through succeeding generations, whether expressed as a recessive trait.

And for the theory of intelligent design, there are quite a few theological explanations for why people outside the "norm" appear among us.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

The Observer wrote:And for the theory of intelligent design, there are quite a few theological explanations for why people outside the "norm" appear among us.
A Quaker magazine I was reading had an article by a Quaker pastor who said that "Even the body of Christ needs an asshole."
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.