Was Thomas Jefferson the inspiration for the colon lunatics?

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Was Thomas Jefferson the inspiration for the colon lunatics?

Post by . »

In an article about fake vintage wines, there is this interesting tidbit:
The biggest doubts, however, are over the letters “Th.J” — supposedly Jefferson’s initials — engraved on each of the bottles. Jefferson’s estate says he never engraved his wine bottles and whenever he did use his initials he wrote them as “Th:J”.
I'll bet Demo knows.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Oooh. That's good.

Here's what the bottle looked like:

Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

And while I feel it would be fun to pass this trivia on to the TPs with no explanation and let them make further asses of themselves, a colon in the 18th and 19th centuries simply signified an abbreviation.

http://www.usgennet.org/family/smoot/oldhand/names.html
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

So ol' Tom was just following convention.

I'm sure the idiots would love to claim "Tom was one of us!" while ignoring the fact that they aren't abbreviating anything with their goofy punctuation.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.