TP arrested for threatening to murder Congressmen

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

TP arrested for threatening to murder Congressmen

Post by Demosthenes »

Truck driver accused of threatening North Dakota congressional delegation in tax dispute

The Associated Press
Published: May 16, 2007

FARGO, North Dakota: A man is accused of threatening North Dakota's congressional delegation in a dispute over back taxes.

Ingmar Sjokvist appeared Wednesday before a federal magistrate on a charge of threatening to assault and kill Sens. Byron Dorgan and Kent Conrad and Rep. Earl Pomeroy.

Court documents say that Sjokvist worked as a truck driver for a Fargo grain company, and that he called the field offices of the North Dakota delegation in March or April, upset that the Internal Revenue Service was garnisheeing his wages.

In one phone call to Dorgan's Fargo office, authorities said, Sjokvist referred to Gordon Kahl, a tax protester involved in a 1983 shootout that killed two federal marshals. Kahl was killed four months later in a shootout with authorities in Arkansas.

"You tell Dorgan and his buddies Pomeroy and Conrad that I'm gonna start with Dorgan's office and take them all down just like Gordon Kahl did," Sjokvist told a Dorgan staff member, according to court documents.

Sjokvist's wife, Linda, said he found out his employer was not withholding enough money from his paychecks for his state and federal taxes. Tax officials have said his debt is more than $14,000 and dates to 1993, she said.

Spokesmen for Dorgan, Conrad and Pomeroy said they would have no comment.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Post by Cpt Banjo »

CaptainKickback wrote:A vodka soaked, lutefisk crazed, yahoo will hurriedly enlarge the small hole he is occupying.

Schmuck deserves everything he gets.
Hey, if the guy can survive eating lutefisk he can probably survive the worst hellhole of a prison in the country. That stuff is nasty.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Cpt Banjo wrote:
CaptainKickback wrote:A vodka soaked, lutefisk crazed, yahoo will hurriedly enlarge the small hole he is occupying.

Schmuck deserves everything he gets.
Hey, if the guy can survive eating lutefisk he can probably survive the worst hellhole of a prison in the country. That stuff is nasty.

Jeffrey Steingarten, author of The Man Who Ate Everything, in an interview wrote:"Lutefisk is not food, it is a weapon of mass destruction. It is currently the only exception for the man who ate everything. Otherwise, I am fairly liberal, I gladly eat worms and insects, but I draw the line on lutefisk."
"What is special with lutefisk?"
"Lutefisk is the Norwegians' attempt at conquering the world. When they discovered that Viking raids didn't give world supremacy, they invented a meal so terrifying, so cruel, that they could scare people to become one's subordinates. And if I'm not terribly wrong, you will be able to do it as well."
"But some people say that they like lutefisk. Do you think they tell the truth?"
"I do not know. Of all food, lutefisk is the only one that I don't take any stand on. I simply cannot decide whether it is nice or disgusting, if the taste is interesting or commonplace. The only thing I know, is that I like bacon, mustard and lefse. Lutefisk is an example of food that almost doesn't taste anything, but is so full of emotions that the taste buds get knocked out."
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Re: TP arrested for threatening to murder Congressmen

Post by LPC »

Sjokvist's wife, Linda, said he found out his employer was not withholding enough money from his paychecks for his state and federal taxes.
So he's angry that they didn't withhold enough?

You really can't please everybody, that's for sure.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Sjokvist's wife, Linda, said he found out his employer was not withholding enough money from his paychecks for his state and federal taxes.
It's not the employer's responsibility to make sure that they're withholding enough. It's the employer's responsibility to withhold according to the W-4 (or IRS letter telling you to ignore the W-4 and withhold differently, OR as Single 0 if no W-4 is available).

It's amazing how often I hear an employee whine about how their employer isn't doing it right when the employee is the one claiming Married 9. Granted, if I was the employer, I would have looked at them and said "Are you sure?" and explained what the significance is - but I'm not obligated to do that.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Sjokvist’s wife, Linda, said in an interview that he found out his employer was not withholding enough money from his paychecks for his state and federal taxes. Tax officials have said his debt is more than $14,000 and dates back to 1993, she said.

“It’s gotten blown out” of proportion, she said after his appearance. She said her husband had invited the congressional members to a barbecue. “And if they can’t find the meat, look in a mirror.”

Quote like this one are sure to make the threat charges go away.
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

This is such a chickensh!t deal. $14K over 10 years and he makes idiotic threats?

Even TPs might consider this guy to be a loser. Or not.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
Cobalt Shiva
Black Seas Commodore Designate

Post by Cobalt Shiva »

Demosthenes wrote:
Sjokvist’s wife, Linda, said in an interview that he found out his employer was not withholding enough money from his paychecks for his state and federal taxes. Tax officials have said his debt is more than $14,000 and dates back to 1993, she said.

“It’s gotten blown out” of proportion, she said after his appearance. She said her husband had invited the congressional members to a barbecue. “And if they can’t find the meat, look in a mirror.”

Quote like this one are sure to make the threat charges go away.
:shock:

Good Googly Moogly.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Lutefisk is what you get when you accidently get a page of soapmaking instruction stuck in a sushi recipe.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
gottago
Victim of Incarcerated Criminal

Post by gottago »

So he has owed the money since 1993--that is 14 years ago. It probably started out as quite a bit less but with penalties, interest, etc. it may have grown exponentially.

Is the statue of limitation for the irs not 10 years. Why did it take 14 years for them to start levying his pay.

Or has the company not been withholding the right amount for 14 years.

Either way, killing someone will not correct the problem. He sounds mentally ill. Maybe the lutefisk damaged his brain. UFF DA!
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

gottago wrote: Either way, killing someone will not correct the problem. He sounds mentally ill. Maybe the lutefisk damaged his brain. UFF DA!
It probably didn't help.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

LPC wrote:
So he's angry that they didn't withhold enough?

You really can't please everybody, that's for sure.
That's about as strange as a tax protestor actually pays his taxes while telling everyone else they don't have to.

I speak, of course, of Mr. Banister.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

gottago wrote:So he has owed the money since 1993--that is 14 years ago. It probably started out as quite a bit less but with penalties, interest, etc. it may have grown exponentially.

Is the statue of limitation for the irs not 10 years. Why did it take 14 years for them to start levying his pay.

Or has the company not been withholding the right amount for 14 years.
It all depends on when the taxpayer filed the returns and the tax was assessed. If he was late in filing the return for 1993, then naturally the assessment would have been delayed as well. For instance, if the return didn't get filed until 1997, then the assessment would happen that year with the statutue expiring in 2007. The same would be true if the IRS created a substitute return in the event that the taxpayer failed to file a return.

And then there a number of events that could extend the collection statute regardless of the assessment date. Litigation or bankruptcy initiated by the taxpayer can extend the statute, as well as the taxpayer filing for a collection due process hearing. And the statute is extended if the taxpayer has left the country for a period of time.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Sjokvist awaits sentencing in jail
Patrick Springer, The Forum
Published Saturday, May 19, 2007

Ingmar Michael Sjokvist is a man who, by his own admission, is armed with a temper that bubbles like a teapot and prompts him to spout intimidating words.

His last angry utterance, made to an FBI agent investigating allegations he’d threatened all three members of North Dakota’s congressional delegation, was a doozey.

“You tell Dorgan and his buddies Pomeroy and Conrad that I’m gonna start with Dorgan’s office and take them all down just like Gordon Kahl did,” Sjokvist told an FBI agent on May 10.

That incendiary statement, which referred to Sen. Byron Dorgan, Rep. Earl Pomeroy and Sen. Kent Conrad, landed Sjokvist in Fargo’s U.S. District Court on Friday, when he pleaded guilty to a felony charge of threatening federal officials. He faces up to 10 years in prison but will remain in jail before sentencing.

Sjokvist’s chilling reference to Gordon Kahl was, as many in North Dakota remember, an allusion to the tax protester who was involved in a gunfight with U.S. marshals in 1983 near Medina, a shootout that left two marshals dead.

Taxes, in fact, were what triggered a series of angry and sometimes threatening calls that Sjokvist made to congressional staff members beginning in late March or early April.

According to his wife, Sjokvist owes more than $14,000 in back taxes. He was angered that the Internal Revenue Service was garnishing his wages without a court order, a diminishment of his paycheck he blamed on the three members of Congress.

The 57-year-old truck driver from Dazey, N.D., stood before District Judge Ralph Erickson, looking haggard and penitent in his orange jail jumpsuit.

Yes, Sjokvist said, he had made the threatening comments. Yes, he understood his guilty plea meant giving up his right to a jury trial.

But his lawyer pleaded that Sjokvist never intended to act on his threats and never took any steps to carry them out.

At the age of 15, Sjokvist spent a month in the state hospital but otherwise has not been diagnosed with any psychiatric problems, he said. He served in the Army in Vietnam, and remains emotionally scarred by the experience, his lawyer, federal public defender Christopher Lancaster said.

Although Sjokvist has a history of making threatening comments, he has no criminal convictions and no history of acting on his threats, said Lynn Jordheim, an assistant U.S. attorney. His earlier threats included statements made to Dorgan’s staff in 1992 and 1997, threats directed at other government officials, Jordheim said.

In light of that record of making threats but not following through with them, prosecutors agreed to recommend Sjokvist be sentenced to five years of supervised probation, with mental health counseling and other conditions, including a prohibition against contacting North Dakota members of Congress or their staffs without court permission.

Erickson, troubled by worries over Sjokvist’s mental and emotional health, ordered the man held in jail without bond until he can be evaluated by a psychiatrist. If deemed not a threat to himself or others, Erickson said he would consider a supervised release that would enable Sjokvist to keep his job.

“I agree that it would be best to get him back to work if he can do so without being a threat to himself or others,” the judge said.

Dorgan, Pomeroy and Conrad have declined to comment about the case.
Cobalt Shiva
Black Seas Commodore Designate

Post by Cobalt Shiva »

He served in the Army in Vietnam, and remains emotionally scarred by the experience, his lawyer, federal public defender Christopher Lancaster said.
Oh, fergawdsake!

It's been almost 40 years by now.

"You bitch about the present, blame it on the past, I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little a$$! GET OVER IT!" -- Don Henley
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

At the age of 15, Sjokvist spent a month in the state hospital but otherwise has not been diagnosed with any psychiatric problems, he said. He served in the Army in Vietnam, and remains emotionally scarred by the experience, his lawyer, federal public defender Christopher Lancaster said.
Before Vietnam, he spent a month in a mental hospital. Although being in Vietnam probably didn't help, it's clear that he can't use Vietnam as an excuse for his mental instability.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie