Wesley Snipes, Tax Invader?

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Wesley Snipes, Tax Invader?

Post by Demosthenes »

Posted: Fri., May 18, 2007, 3:30pm PT

Wesley Snipes ready to act again
Actor reminds Hollywood he's available
By DAVE MCNARY

Wesley Snipes wants to get back to work.

But there's that little matter of a tax invasion indictment that seems to be getting in the way.

"I hope my career's not over," the thesp notes with a laugh. "I've got over 50 credits. The beautiful thing about being an actor is that you can work anywhere."

Plenty of actors have worked amid legal problems, but Snipes believes he needs to remind Hollywood that he's available. His most recent work was on sci-fi Western "Gallowwalker," shot in Namibia late last year and now in post.

In his first interview since his arrest last fall, he stressed that he's up for work and insurable.

"I want to dispel concerns that I'm not employable or can't travel," he says. "People get real nervous and have a lot of questions, but there really are no obstructions with me getting cast insurance. And I feel very confident that this is going to work out."

Snipes and two other defendants were charged last October with one count of conspiracy, one count of aiding and abetting a false claim and six counts of failing to file income tax returns. At the time, Snipes said he was a scapegoat and unfairly targeted by prosecutors; trial was set for March and has been moved back to next fall.

Snipes, meanwhile, says he's getting plenty of offers -- just not the right kind.

"Ironically, getting my name plastered all over the place probably got me more offers than I would have previously," he says. "We're in a time where someone's controversies and mishaps are entertainment for everyone else."

Snipes also says he's found people not unsympathetic to his plight; after all, it's the IRS he's up against.

"People kind of feel like the IRS is the 500-pound gorilla," he says. "It's not as if they found a body in the backyard."
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

What can you expect from someone who refers to an actor as "the thesp"?
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Quixote wrote:What can you expect from someone who refers to an actor as "the thesp"?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thesp
Funkalicious
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate
Location: Oh, that would just fit perfectly into your little plan, wouldn't it?

Post by Funkalicious »

Demo, where was the original article from? Using the word "thesp" to describe Snipes sounds like the jargonesque thing that Variety does.
I was faced with a choice at a difficult age
Would I write a book, or should I take to the stage?
But in the back of my head I heard distant feet
Che Guevara and Debussy to a disco beat
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Sorry. It was indeed Variety.
Truthstalker

Post by Truthstalker »

IRS is the 500-pound gorilla
Damn! Lost 300 pounds. Maybe those 50 million non-filers are having an effect after all.
tracer
Order of the Llama - Senior Division

Re: Wesley Snipes, Tax Invader?

Post by tracer »

Demosthenes wrote:"I hope my career's not over," the thesp notes with a laugh. "I've got over 50 credits. The beautiful thing about being an actor is that you can work anywhere."
I assume he means he's in the cast credits for over 50 movies, right?

Either that, or he's using Science Fiction currency units for money now. (Something I'm surprised more anti-FRN-ists aren't doing.)