New Revenue Ruling?

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
John J. Bulten

New Revenue Ruling?

Post by John J. Bulten »

{Edit: the following text constitutes a (very short-lived) parody, for purposes I will explain later. I see no one was deceived, nor could any reasonable person have been deceived.}

The "IRS" just issued a new Revenue Ruling yesterday. I may get some heat for posting this, so please consider carefully.
Rev. Rul. 2007-42 (false statements in bold italics) wrote:Frivolous tax returns; private laborers or residents of the 50 states not subject to federal income tax.

This ruling emphasizes to taxpayers, promoters, and return preparers that all common-law workers, whether public- or private-sector, are wage-earning employees subject to federal income tax. Any argument that privately contracted laborers or residents of the 50 states are not employees for purposes of the employment and withholding taxes, or that persons not specifically described by the wage tax laws do not earn wages, has no merit and is frivolous.

PURPOSE

The Service is aware that some taxpayers are claiming that they are not subject to federal employment or federal withholding taxes on their wages or earnings. These taxpayers may attempt to avoid their federal tax liability by submitting a Form 4852 (Substitute for W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.) to the Internal Revenue Service with a zero on the line for the amount of wages received. These taxpayers may also file tax returns showing zero or negligible income and claiming a refund for withheld amounts. The Service is also aware that some promoters market a book, package, kit or other materials that claim to show taxpayers how they can avoid paying income taxes based on this and other meritless arguments.

This ruling emphasizes to taxpayers, promoters, and return preparers that all common-law workers, whether public- or private-sector, are wage-earning employees subject to federal income tax. This revenue ruling also provides that, under the Internal Revenue Code, wages include any compensation received due to the performance of services as an employee, and the term employee includes any individual for whom the legal relationship between the individual and the person for whom the individual performs services is the legal relationship of employer and employee. For purposes of federal employment taxes and federal withholding taxes, the legal relationship of employer and employee exists when the person for whom services are performed has the right to control and direct the individual who performs the services, not only as to the result to be accomplished by the work but also as to the details and means by which that result is accomplished. Further, all wages are gross income for purposes of determining federal income tax liability, and are also subject to federal employment taxes. Any argument that privately contracted laborers or residents of the 50 states are not employees for purposes of the employment and withholding taxes, or that persons not specifically described by the wage tax laws do not earn wages, has no merit and is frivolous.

The Service is committed to identifying taxpayers who attempt to avoid their federal tax obligations by taking frivolous positions. The Service will take vigorous enforcement action against these taxpayers and against promoters and return preparers who assist taxpayers in taking these frivolous positions. Frivolous returns and other similar documents submitted to the Service are processed through the Service’s Frivolous Return Program. As part of this program, the Service determines whether taxpayers who have taken frivolous positions have filed all required tax returns, and computes the correct amount of tax and interest due, and determines whether civil or criminal penalties should apply. The Service also determines whether civil or criminal penalties should apply to return preparers, promoters, and others who assist taxpayers in taking frivolous positions, and recommends whether an injunction should be sought to halt these activities. Other information about frivolous tax positions is available on the Service website at www.irs.gov.

ISSUE

Whether certain categories of persons, such as privately contracted laborers, residents of the 50 states, or persons not specifically described by the wage tax laws, are categorically not subject to wage tax.

FACTS

Taxpayer A either 1) requests, by submitting a Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate, that his employer not withhold any amount of federal tax from wages or earnings, or 2) prepares a Form 4852 (Substitute for W-2) showing no wages or earnings received. In addition, taxpayer A either fails to file a return, or files a return with zero or negligible income claiming all withholding as a refund. Taxpayer A claims that he is not an “employee” and does not receive “wages” subject to federal income tax, as those terms are as defined in the Internal Revenue Code. Taxpayer A contends that the federal government can only legally demand federal employment taxes and federal withholding taxes from persons specifically described as included in the wage tax laws. Therefore, Taxpayer A claims that he does not have to pay federal employment taxes (such as Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) taxes) or federal withholding taxes to the federal government.

LAW AND ANALYSIS

Section 3401(a) provides that “wages” include all remuneration for services performed by an employee for his employer. Section 3121(a) provides a similar definition of wages for FICA tax purposes. The argument that persons not specifically described by the wage tax laws are categorically not subject to wage tax is based on misinterpretations of sections 3401(c) and 3121(b).

Section 3401(c) defines “employee” and states that the term “includes an officer, employee or elected official of the United States, a State, or any political subdivision thereof . . . .” Section 31.3401(c)-1 of the withholding tax regulations provides that the term “employee” includes every individual performing services if the relationship between that individual and the person for whom he performs such services is the legal relationship of employer and employee, and that the legal relationship of employer and employee exists when the person for whom services are performed has the right to control and direct the individual who performs the services, not only as to the result to be accomplished by the work but also as to the details and means by which that result is accomplished. Section 7701(c) states that the use of the word “includes” “shall not be deemed to exclude other things otherwise within the meaning of the term defined.” Thus, the word “includes” as used in the definition of “employee” under § 3401(c) is a term of enlargement, not of limitation. Courts have recognized that federal employees and officials are among those within the definition of “employee,” which also includes all workers under the common-law definition described in the withholding tax regulations. See Sullivan v. United States, 788 F.2d 813, 815 (1st Cir. 1986) (contention that taxpayer was not an “employee” is meritless, section 3401(c) does not limit withholding to the persons listed therein); United States v. Latham, 754 F.2d 747, 750 (7th Cir. 1985) (under section 3401(c), the category of “employee” includes privately employed wage earners; the word “includes” is a term of enlargement not of limitation, and the reference to certain entities or categories is not intended to exclude all others); Pabon v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 1994-476 (1994) (taxpayer’s frivolous position that she was not subject to tax because she was not an employee of the federal or state governments warranted sanctions of $2,500).

Similarly, Section 3121(b) defines “employment” and states that the term “means any service, of whatever nature, performed (A) by an employee for the person employing him, irrespective of the citizenship or residence of either, (i) within the United States . . . .” Section 3121(e)(2) defines “United States” and states that the United States “when used in a geographical sense includes the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, and American Samoa.” Section 7701(c) states that the use of the word “includes” “shall not be deemed to exclude other things otherwise within the meaning of the term defined.” Thus, the word “includes” as used in the definition of “United States” under Section 3121(e)(2) is a term of enlargement, not of limitation. Courts have recognized that the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, and American Samoa are within the definition of “United States,” which also includes the fifty states. See Nieman v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo 1993-533 (rejecting the “absurd proposition, essentially that the State of Illinois is not part of the United States”); U.S. v. Ward, 833 F.2d 1538 (11th Cir. 1987) (rejecting taxpayer’s “twisted conclusion” that federal tax laws only apply to individuals located within Washington, D.C., and federal enclaves, territories, and possessions, as “utterly without merit”; the word “includes” is a term of definition not of limitation); and U.S. v. Hopper, 2005 TNT 215-10, No. 05-MC-172 (U.S.D.C. E.D.N.Y. 10/29/2005) (the definition of “State” under the Internal Revenue Code does not exclude the fifty United States).

The employment tax withholding provisions do not affect whether wages are gross income. Section 61 provides that compensation for services is includable in gross income. Whether the compensation for services is in the form of wages, or in some other form, is irrelevant. The amount is still subject to income tax. All employees, whether federal employees or private-sector common-law employees, and whether working in federal territories and enclaves or working in the fifty states, are subject to income and employment taxes on their earnings.

HOLDING

Federal income tax laws apply to the earnings of private-sector common-law workers, and to the earnings of persons working within the fifty states, as well as to federal employees and persons working in the District of Columbia, or federal territories and enclaves; and any contrary contention is frivolous. The terms “employee” and “wages” as used by the Internal Revenue Code apply to all common-law workers, unless specifically exempted by the Internal Revenue Code. The income tax withholding provisions do not affect whether an amount is gross income.

More details about the tax laws appear at the Individual Rights Society website. Y'all pardon me if I have some work to do.
Last edited by John J. Bulten on Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

An organization called the Individual Rights Society abbreviating their name to IRS and releasing "Revenue Rulings" is deceptive, at best.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

This is the real Revenue Ruling 07-42:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rr-07-42.pdf
Last edited by Demosthenes on Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kimokeo

Post by Kimokeo »

This is a shameless plug for the link.

I think the link should be removed.
grammarian44

Post by grammarian44 »

John J. Bulten wrote:(false statements in bold italics)
So John, are you willing to say right now that if challenged in court, the Rev. Rul. will be overruled as contrary to law?

If you aren't willing to commit to saying a court will overturn the Rev. Rul., then in what sense are the statements false? Are they false only because you disagree with them, or wish they were not true?
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Very curious. What you trying to do John? Where did this come from? Posting stuff like this is only going to come back to haunt you at your criminal trial.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Kimokeo wrote:This is a shameless plug for the link.

Nope. By posting it here, a number of people in law enforcement are now looking at that site.
grammarian44

Post by grammarian44 »

Demosthenes wrote:This is the real Revenue Ruling 07-42:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rr-07-42.pdf
So is Bulten fabricating revenue rulings, or did he just get his citation wrong?
webhick

Post by webhick »

Demosthenes wrote:

Nope. By posting it here, a number of people in law enforcement are now looking at that site.
Which is blank, unless you put the www in front of it.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

webhick wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:

The link worked for me. The site doesn't appear to have been updated in months. Their news section doesn't show that WTP lost the petition suit or the fate of the Hendrickson nine.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
webhick

Post by webhick »

Quixote wrote:
webhick wrote:
Demosthenes wrote: Nope. By posting it here, a number of people in law enforcement are now looking at that site.
The link worked for me. The site doesn't appear to have been updated in months. Their news section doesn't show that WTP lost the petition suit or the fate of the Hendrickson nine.
I stand corrected. Just tried it again and it worked. Funny little hiccups.
webhick

Re: New Revenue Ruling?

Post by webhick »

John J. Bulten wrote:{Edit: the following text constitutes a (very short-lived) parody, for purposes I will explain later. I see no one was deceived, nor could any reasonable person have been deceived.}
Parody implies that it was "humorous". I doubt it was intended to be humorous given that it's really just tax protester rhetoric dressed up as a Revenue Ruling issued by an organization calling itself the "IRS". Humerous would have meant that they'd have to throw something in there that doesn't fall under 1) Something the IRS would say 2) something the tax protester's would say. Something like "compensation for services" is really intended to cover hookers. Outlandish enough for both parties not to buy into it.

Either that, or it's just a really bad parody.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

CaptainKickback wrote:If you entertain clients at The Bunny Ranch, is that a legitimate business expense that can be written off on your taxes?
I'd say technically yes, but in this current cycle where Clinton appointed judges are retiring, it may be difficult to defend in court. And with recently strengthened disclosure laws for corporate filings, it might be considered a breach of fiduciary responsibility. Of course if you're a corp sole, party on!
I think it is a little gray, but under the right circumstances possibly legit.

Just a random thought dancing through my mind........
I hope the pole in your mind gets cleaned regularly.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

CaptainKickback wrote: Also, at the rate he is going, John will be naming his motorscooter as a plaintiff in a suit against Jesus Christ in a couple of years.......
Perhaps we can name a shadow guardian ad litem for the motor scooter.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
webhick

Post by webhick »

CaptainKickback wrote:If you entertain clients at The Bunny Ranch, is that a legitimate business expense that can be written off on your taxes?
I've wondered the same thing. Two circumstances come to mind.

I had a client who would take his clients out to Hooters every Friday Night (mind you, they were all in AA and were, in effect, each other's sponsors as well).

I had another client who went to Canada with 6 or so of his biggest clients. He took out about $4200 via several ATM withdrawals. Looking at the address on the ATM, it was located right near a strip joint.

Both thought they were business expenses and HAD to be written off. I don't know how it turned out with the CPAs. We didn't stick with the first client for more than three months (he was using his mother's social security check for those trips to Hooters and didn't want to pay her bills), and we ditched the second client after about 9 months (when he pulled me into his lap and tried to make a grab - when I was 16!).
silversopp

Post by silversopp »

John J. Bulten wrote:Y'all pardon me if I have some work to do.
I have got to say that I am proud of John for being employed again. Congrats!
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

John J. Bulten wrote:[
More details about the tax laws appear at the Individual Rights Society website. Y'all pardon me if I have some work to do.
Check out the registration of that domain:

Domain ID:D10220039-LRMS
Domain Name:TAXHONESTY.INFO
Created On:13-May-2005 17:25:25 UTC
Last Updated On:01-May-2007 03:22:34 UTC
Expiration Date:13-May-2008 17:25:25 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:eNom, Inc. (R126-LRMS)
Registrant ID:C1355313-LRMS
Registrant Name:John Bulten
Registrant Organization:Zach Services
Registrant Street1:2444 E 51st St Ste D2
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Tulsa
Registrant State/Province:OK
Registrant Postal Code:741056019
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:web@izak.biz
Admin ID:C1355313-LRMS
Admin Name:John Bulten
Admin Organization:Zach Services
Admin Street1:2444 E 51st St Ste D2
Admin Street2:
Admin Street3:
Admin City:Tulsa
Admin State/Province:OK
Admin Postal Code:741056019
Admin Country:US
Admin Phone:
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:web@izak.biz
Billing ID:C1355313-LRMS
Billing Name:John Bulten
Billing Organization:Zach Services
Billing Street1:2444 E 51st St Ste D2
Billing Street2:
Billing Street3:
Billing City:Tulsa
Billing State/Province:OK
Billing Postal Code:741056019
Billing Country:US
Billing Phone:
Billing Phone Ext.:
Billing FAX:
Billing FAX Ext.:
Billing Email:web@izak.biz
Tech ID:C1355313-LRMS
Tech Name:John Bulten
Tech Organization:Zach Services
Tech Street1:2444 E 51st St Ste D2
Tech Street2:
Tech Street3:
Tech City:Tulsa
Tech State/Province:OK
Tech Postal Code:741056019
Tech Country:US
Tech Phone:
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:web@izak.biz
webhick

Post by webhick »

Dezcad wrote:Registrant Name:John Bulten
::blip:: ::blip::
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Sorry, guys, but old blips.

Look at JJBlather's exchange with me on the first few pages of this thread.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Duke2Earl
Eighth Operator of the Delusional Mooloo

Post by Duke2Earl »

Nothing has really changed. We talk at complete cross purposes to these folks. What we are saying is that if Bulten takes his gibberish positions in court in this world of reality he will lose. And I would give a "will" opinion on that. To Bulten that doesn't matter. In his perfect world of fantasy he believes he would win. The unfortunate part for him is that he doesn't get to live in his perfect world but rather in this sad world of toil and tribulation with the rest of us. All that has happened with this Rev. Rul. is another nail has been placed in the coffin of his "Long" defense but that one was dead already. But nothing in that ruling will convince him of anything. And "work" he had to do... well, it takes time to redefine words to "prove" that the world is flat.