New Revenue Ruling?

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
John J. Bulten

Post by John J. Bulten »

As you recognized, the ruling I posted, written by the fictitious "Individual Rights Society" (membership: me), was a deliberate cobbling together of several statements which CtC rejects as false, which was then woven into most of the real "Internal Revenue Service" ruling 2006-18.

Among my other less-interesting-to-you accomplishments, some time back I cracked the ecclesiastical code of the 16th-century Council of Trent and solved the entire Catholic-Protestant rift (for anyone who cares to listen). You may recall that that council holds the world record for anathemata, i.e., over 200 curses upon specific theological positions which the RCC regards as heretical. The Council documents are the exact historical equivalent of "The Truth About Frivolous Tax Arguments"; except that they enumerated many more frivolous positions, were much better written, and were much more honest. Some canons are straightforward, others enigmatically casuistic, such as the exemplary 10th anathema of the 6th session (and recall that the English text is not ecclesiastic positive law, for which I must refer you to the Latin):
Council of Trent wrote:If anyone says that men are justified without the justice of Christ (Gal. 2:16), whereby He merited for us, or by that justice are formally just, let him be anathema.
Such language arises because the cardinals had the difficult challenge of simultaneously agreeing with the church fathers, and disagreeing with the reformers who also claimed to agree with the fathers. Steering the narrow middle course between such heresies as Pelagianism and fatalism, while carrying the tremendous Roman burden of that era, required great craft in drafting these ecclesiastical laws.

Trent was provoked directly by the actions of reformers like Luther and Calvin, but only a few of its canons were intended to address the reformers and their imitators. And in the majority of cases, Calvin responded with surprise that the heresy anathematized was simply not his belief; in a minority (like the 10th anathema above), he held that the Council did not anathematize him because it had spoken well-nigh ambiguously. The reason Calvin could so deftly self-acquit his position from heresy was that the Council could not clearly impeach him without opening themselves to greater judgment on the same charges.

Or, for equal time, consider St. Thomas More's treatment by the nascent Anglicans. He too had to dodge official attack for his conscientious religious beliefs. At first he maintained a successful silence about, and resignation from, Henry VIII's affairs; but in the end he was executed for treason, and, in Bolt's popular depiction, only upon perjured evidence. He suffered injustice and death with clear conscience before divine and human law. But his accusers could not proceed without impeaching themselves and their interpretation of law.

Fast-forwarding, when the Service issued its real revenue ruling (2006-18), after three years of awareness of CtC, it could have easily chosen to use the language in my fictitious ruling, which would have consigned CtC unambiguously to ashes. The Counsel understood CtC well enough to quote its 4852 language verbatim in the "Dirty Dozen" last year, and to use an out-of-context sentence of it for Pete's personal case; yet in the same period (spring 2006) they could not find a single in-context position of CtC to anathematize as frivolous. They can only condemn distortions of CtC, and hope that CtC is distorted as often as possible. If they were to condemn the in-context language of CtC itself, they would expose the IRS to greater risk than Pete.

Isn't it obvious that 2006-18 is intended as a direct response to CtC, and distortions of it? And yet the IRS Counsel cannot speak plainly against CtC positions as I have done at the head of this thread. E.g., instead of "includes all workers" you get "includes workers"; instead of "expands to the 50 states" you get "is expansive"; instead of "legal relationship" you get "general relationship"; instead of "earnings are income" you get "compensation is includable in income"; and so on. The IRS must answer to its bosses, and it is permitted neither to agree with Pete, nor to contradict him. The IRS can never legally say the statements in bold italics, because it would be challengeable on Constitutional grounds and could take the whole house down. Instead it can only continue to pretend it has said these things. The difference will grow clearer and clearer to the open-eyed.

There may be two or three of you reading this who realize that, if the Service intended to condemn CtC, the difference between what it said in 2006-18, and what it should have said as above, is highly meaningful. This parody was composed for you, and you can be certain of apprehending the truth when you seek it. But the rest of you will continue to hide true distinctions, while simultaneously perpetuating the endless imaginary distinctions demanded by tax beneficiaries, so that you can all think you will get what you want. This parody was not composed for you, as you have no interest in truth.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Excerpt of John Bulten wrote:
Isn't it obvious that 2006-18 is intended as a direct response to CtC, and distortions of it? And yet the IRS Counsel cannot speak plainly against CtC positions as I have done at the head of this thread. E.g., instead of "includes all workers" you get "includes workers"; instead of "expands to the 50 states" you get "is expansive"; instead of "legal relationship" you get "general relationship"; instead of "earnings are income" you get "compensation is includable in income"; and so on. The IRS must answer to its bosses, and it is permitted neither to agree with Pete, nor to contradict him
This is a variation of JJ Bulten's theme rejecting pronouncements on the laughable theory that those pronouncements do not "say things" in precisely the way Bulten contends they should be said. This time it's an IRS pronouncement instead of a court pronouncement.

As I've said before, Mr. Bulten, just raise that point with your cellmate in the event you end up in prison. --Famspear
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
grammarian44

Post by grammarian44 »

I guess because the IRS didn't compose its Rev. Rul. in exactly the way Bulten would have composed it if he were drafting a Rev. Rul. in opposition to CtC, then the Rev. Rul. cannot possibly apply to CtC.

This is narcissistic thinking at its finest. No--it's not narcissistic. It's solipsistic. No true arguments against CtC can possibly exist except the ones Bulten himself has composed. Therefore, he wins!

This approach accords perfectly with Bulten's tendency to refer to "truth" what is merely his opinion and has never been accorded any truth value in any court of law.
silversopp

Post by silversopp »

I wonder if, when given a ticket for violating a "No Stopping, Standing, Parking" sign, John would go into court with a defense of: I was moving at a velocity of zero; I did not "stop", "stand", or "park".
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Oh, and look again at this Bulten Baloney:
IRS must answer to its bosses, and it is permitted neither to agree with Pete, nor to contradict him
Although Bulten would imply that HE really believes the "bosses" will not allow the IRS to "contradict" Pete -- I guess because Pete's message is so strong, so powerful, so "correct," that the same "bosses" have already "allowed" the IRS to investigate Pete -- an investigation that resulted in a prosecution and conviction that sent Pete to prison.

That sounds like a Bulten Belief to me (compare that to a Cheek Doctrine "actual good faith belief based on misunderstanding caused by the complexity of the Internal Revenue Code").

--Famspear
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Mr. Bulten wrote:
They can only condemn distortions of CtC, and hope that CtC is distorted as often as possible. If they were to condemn the in-context language of CtC itself, they would expose the IRS to greater risk than Pete.
Uh, huh. Hey, Mr. Bulten, if you really believe that, could you contact me -- I have a bridge in San Francisco I want to sell to you - cheap. ---Famspear
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Mr. Bulten wrote:
[ . . . ] some time back I cracked the ecclesiastical code of the 16th-century Council of Trent and solved the entire Catholic-Protestant rift
Wow, that's a coincidence; I did that too, recently. Of course, I also invented canned beer, which is much more significant.

I think - I don't recall if - was it Demosthenes who invented sliced bread? Or was it CaptainKickback? --Famspear
Duke2Earl
Eighth Operator of the Delusional Mooloo

Post by Duke2Earl »

Bulten.... master of the distinction without a difference.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

CaptainKickback wrote:All i know is that as a Catholic I get a straight shot into heaven. My name is on the list and St. Peter will automatically give the okay to the bouncer to lift the velvet rope for me.

The rest of you heathen bastards are on your own............ :twisted: :wink:
Women don't want to go to heaven. Since our hands and feet are always freezing cold, we prefer the weather in that other place...
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Famspear wrote:I also invented canned beer
Hangin's too good for 'im. Burnin's too good for 'im.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
John J. Bulten

Post by John J. Bulten »

Famspear wrote:Although Bulten would imply that HE really believes the "bosses" will not allow the IRS to "contradict" Pete -- I guess because Pete's message is so strong, so powerful, so "correct," that the same "bosses" have already "allowed" the IRS to investigate Pete -- an investigation that resulted in a prosecution and conviction that sent Pete to prison.
While I have difficulty with your grammar, I am more concerned that you falsely think or suggest that Pete's CtC message, not developed and published until 2003, has in any way resulted in an alleged prosecution and conviction that sent Pete to prison.
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

They can only condemn distortions of CtC, and hope that CtC is distorted as often as possible. If they were to condemn the in-context language of CtC itself, they would expose the IRS to greater risk than Pete.
Determining the context of CTC language is next to impossible. There are passages in CTC that are the verbal equivalence of the Penrose Triangle.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

John J. Bulten wrote:
when the Service issued its real revenue ruling . . . after three years of awareness of CtC, it could have easily chosen to use the language in my fictitious ruling, which would have consigned CtC unambiguously to ashes . . .
Yes, I can just hear and see the IRS employee who drafted that revenue ruling now, sitting at his or her desk, head in hand, moaning:

-----"Oh, curses! If ONLY I had consulted with John J. Bulten and had obtained from him the correct language BULTEN WOULD HAVE USED in drafting that revenue ruling! OOOhhhhhhhh, how could I have been so foolish not to have used the right language??!! If only I had known, if only I had known. A phone call to John Bulten would have been so easy!"
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Post by Cpt Banjo »

Quixote wrote:
Determining the context of CTC language is next to impossible. There are passages in CTC that are the verbal equivalence of the Penrose Triangle.
Hmm, it never occurred to me that Pete might be a postmodernist TP, using obscurity to masquerade as profundity.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

John J. Bulten wrote:
Famspear wrote:Although Bulten would imply that HE really believes the "bosses" will not allow the IRS to "contradict" Pete -- I guess because Pete's message is so strong, so powerful, so "correct," that the same "bosses" have already "allowed" the IRS to investigate Pete -- an investigation that resulted in a prosecution and conviction that sent Pete to prison.
While I have difficulty with your grammar, I am more concerned that you falsely think or suggest that Pete's CtC message, not developed and published until 2003, has in any way resulted in an alleged prosecution and conviction that sent Pete to prison.
What Bulten no doubt meant to write, but could not, because he is constitutionally incapable of making a direct statement, is that Pete's conviction and imprisonment for domestic terrorism did not result from the message Pete conveys in CTC. I disagree. The main message in CTC is not that most Americans don't owe income tax. That Pete takes as axiomatic, or at least makes no attempt to prove. Pete spends much more time talking about the government conspiracy to hide the truth.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Dear John -- Yeah on the grammar I agree. I edited too hastily, and it should have read as follows:

-----"Although Bulten would imply that HE really believes the "bosses" will not allow the IRS to "contradict" Pete (I guess because Pete's message is so strong, so powerful, so "correct"), I would point out that the same "bosses" have already "allowed" the IRS to investigate Pete (an investigation that resulted in a prosecution and conviction that sent Pete to prison)."

Regarding your comment that you are more concerned that I falsely think or suggest that "Pete's CtC message, not developed and published until 2003, has in any way resulted in an alleged prosecution and conviction that sent Pete to prison" -- no, I understand that his tax conviction was for willful failure to file a return.

Anyone who believes in Pete's CtC theory is, to that extent, delusional. I'm not naming any names here. Anyone who believes that the the "bosses" will not allow the IRS to "contradict" Pete is delusional.

My point about Pete's criminal record was intended (1) to illustrate how silly it is to argue that the "bosses" will not allow the IRS to "contradict" Pete's CtC blather, and (2) to illustrate my view (and it's just based on an educated guess on my part) that none of the heavy hitters at the IRS would have the slightest problem with the idea of putting the thumb down on Mr. Pete again, if they are so inclined.

--Famspear
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

You forget to mention the tearing of hair and rending of garments
Yes, and sitting at gate of the city for several days, in sackcloth and ashes.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Why quibble over saints?

You all lost any hope when you renounced the one God:
"The Lord is One."

Plus, ANY place with that many women (with the exception of Valhalla and the Islamic Paradise) is, by definition, hell.

Demo -- don't hit me -- the drugs made me do it.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Nikki wrote:Plus, ANY place with that many women (with the exception of Valhalla and the Islamic Paradise) is, by definition, hell.
Truer words were never spoken. There's a reason why I don't have many female friends.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

Nikki wrote:Why quibble over saints?

You all lost any hope when you renounced the one God:
"The Lord is One."

Plus, ANY place with that many women (with the exception of Valhalla and the Islamic Paradise) is, by definition, hell.

Demo -- don't hit me -- the drugs made me do it.
Now those of us of the true, Reformed, predestinarian faith (i.e., the Presbyterian Church USA), do not have to worry about such trivial disputes, having been predestined to salvation.

(Okay, I know they changed the Book of Order 75 years or so ago, but hey, I'm still a faithful follower of that ever charming French lawyer, John Calvin -- not to mention Oliver Cromwell.)
"My Health is Better in November."