861 Status

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Blackbeard wrote:I always thought that to be unconstitutional, a punishment must be both cruel and unusual.
A serious note:

The 8th Amendment also prohibits "excessive fines," which has been somewhat-legitimately argued in some tax cases, but has never succeeded to the best of my knowledge.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

CaptainKickback wrote:I repeat, what else would you do with all that blow? Not even Rick James at his worst couldn't claim that amount of Peruvian rock flake was for personal use.

Really, if you had 1.5 POUNDS of cocaine, what would you do with it? If you were of a criminal bent.....
I believe Cocaine was used medicinally as a topical anesthetic in the late 1800s. Perhaps he was planning on performing some kind of surgery.

Or, since it's also an appetite suppressant, perhaps he was inventing a radical new diet that would outclass Atkins on stupidity and death toll.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

I believe Cocaine was used medicinally as a topical anesthetic in the late 1800s. Perhaps he was planning on performing some kind of surgery.
I seem to recall that cocaine was used on Adolf Hitler by one of his doctors during World War II, and that at one point the doctor actually tried to kill Hitler with an overdose by applying an excessive amount of the substance in Hitler's nose while Hitler was asleep. My memory is that the incident was mentioned in John Toland's biography of Hitler. I'm not sure; I have the book at home.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

webhick wrote:
CaptainKickback wrote:I repeat, what else would you do with all that blow? Not even Rick James at his worst couldn't claim that amount of Peruvian rock flake was for personal use.

Really, if you had 1.5 POUNDS of cocaine, what would you do with it? If you were of a criminal bent.....

Or, since it's also an appetite suppressant, perhaps he was inventing a radical new diet that would outclass Atkins on stupidity and death toll.
Perhaps he's working on a new energy drink that will help you lose weight while getting you through the day. (Marketed heavily to truckers)
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Famspear wrote:I seem to recall that cocaine was used on Adolf Hitler by one of his doctors during World War II, and that at one point the doctor actually tried to kill Hitler with an overdose by applying an excessive amount of the substance in Hitler's nose while Hitler was asleep. My memory is that the incident was mentioned in John Toland's biography of Hitler. I'm not sure; I have the book at home.
It was Toland's book and you have the circumstances correct. After Hitler recovered from the overdose attempt (of which he was unaware happened) he actually thanked the doctor for making him feel better than he had on previous treatments. Hitler's other doctor, a Dr. Morrell, was actually killing Hitler through malpractice by prescribing a drug, nux vomica, from which strychnine is derived.

Since Hitler has been mentioned in this thread, I now propose that Godwin's Law be invoked.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

The Observer wrote:
It was Toland's book and you have the circumstances correct. After Hitler recovered from the overdose attempt (of which he was unaware happened) he actually thanked the doctor for making him feel better than he had on previous treatments. Hitler's other doctor, a Dr. Morrell, was actually killing Hitler through malpractice by prescribing a drug, nux vomica, from which strychnine is derived.

Since Hitler has been mentioned in this thread, I now propose that Godwin's Law be invoked.
Yeah, here's part of the Wikipedia article on Godwin's Law:
Godwin's Law is an adage that Mike Godwin formulated in 1990. The law states:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.
I've always thought that Godwin's Law "proves too much" and maybe essentially proves almost nothing, for the reason that as *any* discussion grows longer (i.e., the longer and longer the discussion remains open), the probability of ANY comparison increases, and obviously approaches (or moves closer to) one. Indeed, the longer a discussion remains open, the more likely that a mention of every fact, concept or contention in the entire universe increases -- almost by definition.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

The mere mention of Hitler does not allow for the invocation of Godwin's law. A comparison between your opponent and Hitler or nazis is required. Invoking Godwin's law upon the mere mention of Hitler sounds like stormtrooper tactics to me.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Quixote wrote:
The mere mention of Hitler does not allow for the invocation of Godwin's law. A comparison between your opponent and Hitler or nazis is required. Invoking Godwin's law upon the mere mention of Hitler sounds like stormtrooper tactics to me.
And? Trying to stifle my invocation of Godwin's is not unlike something Stalin and the KGB would do.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Your passive aggressive ploys are straight out of the Jim Jones playbook.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4