British National E-mail Lottery

A forum for posting "You have one the lottery" letters, and for asking whether the e-mail that your received is real (it isn't). Real lotteries do NOT advise winners by e-mail, and they do NOT require the payment of any fees up-front.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

British National E-mail Lottery

Post by fortinbras »

I have, in the past two days, received two versions of this, neither of which addresses me by name nor even by my e-mail address:

Reference Number: UK/940X2/68‏
Sent: Fri 2/13/09 6:57 AM
To:

British National Lottery
P. O. Box 10101 Liverpool L70 1NL
Reference Number: UK/940X2/68
We are pleased to inform you of the final announcement of the British National Lottery Online Promo Programme held today, the 11th of Febuary 2009. The draw was done electronically with several email addresses provided to this office by microsoft to enhance the utilization of the internet.
Your email address was attached to Reference Number UK/940X2/68 and was picked as one of the ten winning email addresses.
This has qualified you to claim the total cash prize of £750,000.00 in cash credited to file KTU/9023118308/03. This is from a total cash prize of £7,500,000.00 shared amongst the first 4 lucky winners in this category B.
To file your claim, you are required to contact the Claims Department with the your reference number (UK/940X2/68) via email. Do contact the claims department via email with the details below;
Richard Dawson
Email: claimsunit@britishnatelot.com<mailto:claimsunit@britishnatelot.com>
Tel: +447045770861
Congratulations once again on behalf of the Staff and Management of British National Lottery.
Regards,
Dodson Libby
Online Co-ordinator
Notice that, although this purports to be the British National Lottery (and, presumably, run by the UK govt), the email addresses are not UK, but apparently USA. And one of the return addresses appears to be the state govt of Pennsylvania. The email misspells February and neglects to capitalize Microsoft (and I suppose some of you oldtimers would have written it as MicroSoft) and there's "with the your reference number" and a misused semicolon.
VinnyZ
Scalawag
Scalawag

Re: British National E-mail Lottery

Post by VinnyZ »

I have seen some that are so poorly worded and so poorly spelled, I am amazed that anyone would even think of responding.

But they do......and the emails keep coming......
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Don't know what to make of this, but it probably doesn't merit a thread of its own:
{subject:} HOTEL TOURIST PROJECT
From: Sir Everlyn Baring Declared Governor (sir.e.b.gov3@gmail.com)
Sent: Mon 2/16/09 5:00 PM

Good day, I am looking for your cooperation in building a Tourist Hotel or Real Estate in your country. I am sorry if this is not in line with your business. I need an experienced person like you to assist me to set up, develop the project. On the resumption of the project, you will be made a Director for the role and the assistance you rendered. You will also be entitled to a percentage agreed upon between me (Sir.E.B.Governor) and you before the commencement of the project. However, I got your email information on your Hotel contact list. Your immediate reply will be highly appreciated and I shall give you more information on this project. Please contact me at my private.
e-mail address sir.e.b.gov3@gmail.com
Thanks and God bless.
Sir Everlyn Baring Declared Governor

Imagine, British(?) royalty (or something), filthy rich enough to build a hotel in this economy and yet desperate and ignorant enough to want to confer with the likes of me. How should I make my check out??

"Thanks and God bless" doesn't sound starchy enough for someone with the ultra-toffey name of Sir Everlyn Baring. You'll notice his e-mail is SIR.E.B.GOV3, to distinguish him from all the other Sir Everlyn Barings, and he includes the Sir to distinguish himself from the all the unwashed Everlyn Barings as well -- I'd suspect that anyone who got that name without a title accompanying it is now in prison for parricide -- but does not include the order of knighthood, which is commonly used in the UK if you're going to call attention to a rank.
I'd think that someone willing to sink a fortune into a hotel would (1) have sufficient hotel contacts in the US, if only from visiting and staying at flashy hotels, or (2) advertise the position in the trade magazines devoted to the hospitality industry, or (3) contact some of the many hotshot business management schools around the US.
tumescentliposuction

Post by tumescentliposuction »

Hello...
I also get same email but in that they have written that my email id get selected randomly and give your account detail, they will send payment directly to my bank account...
cdj1122

Post by cdj1122 »

I guess you guys failed to collect on the winning ticket and now it is my turn.
The Free Lotto Sweepstakes,
12 Bridge Street, Staines Middlesex
TW18 4TP
UNITED KINGDOM
(Customer Services)

Ref: UK/9420X2/68
Batch: 074/05/ZY369
WINNING NOTIFICATION:

We happily announce to you the draw (#942) of the UK NATIONAL LOTTERY, online
Sweepstakes International program held on 31st of October, 2009.
It is yet to be Claimed and you are getting the final NOTIFICATION as regards this.

Your e-mail address attached to Ticket number: 275-189-657-23-05 with Serial
Number 8756- 05 drew the lucky numbers and bonus ball number which subsequently
Won you the lottery in the 2nd category. Therefore, you have been approved to
Claim a total sum of (Eight Hundred Thousand Great Britain Pounds Sterling)
£800,000.00 in cash credit to file KTU/9023118308/03.

Endeavor to E-mail him your details below to file your claims

1. Full Name:
2. Full Address:
3. Marital Status:
4. Occupation:
5. Age:
6. Sex:
7. Nationality:
8. Telephone Number:
9. Fax Number:
10. Serial Number (above):
11. Reference Number (above):
12. Batch Number (above):

The Claims Agent Details
Claims Notification Director:
Mr. David Mark
Email: davidmark_claim@hotmail.it
Tel: +44 704-578-5239

Yours Sincerely,
Mrs. Teresa, Hill L.
Online Promotions

Please do not reply to the alert e-mail, kindly contact your claims agent.

© 2007-2009 UK NATIONAL LOTTERY. All Rights Reserved
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Oh yeah because a national lottery would really use a hotmail account. These scammers arn't even trying.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

bmielke wrote:Oh yeah because a national lottery would really use a hotmail account. These scammers arn't even trying.
The sad thing is that they rope suckers in, even with a blatantly fake message like this.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
lyfbond

Post by lyfbond »

VinnyZ wrote:I have seen some that are so poorly worded and so poorly spelled, I am amazed that anyone would even think of responding.

But they do......and the emails keep coming......
funny to heart but yeah there are still people out there who falls for this trap. tsk tsk.
Cosmicbee
Stowaway
Stowaway

Post by Cosmicbee »

I get this kind of stuff if my spam emails all the time. Have notified the FBI about this also the stuff from Nigeria also. They only say they are working of it, but who knows.
Llwellyn
Pirates Mate
Pirates Mate

Post by Llwellyn »

Alas, I feel left out, as I nearly never get any spam mails like this. I used to get them about my Blizzard games account, claiming that I needed to login and reset passwords etc.. (the link in the email would take you to a keylogger website and then record your information and pass it on to the 3rd party, so they could then hijack your account and resell it.) I think I have only ever once received one about some bank account and needing to funnel money in from South Africa - which I knew right away was a scam.. I am such a pessimist..