Somebody cares about me!

A forum for posting "You have one the lottery" letters, and for asking whether the e-mail that your received is real (it isn't). Real lotteries do NOT advise winners by e-mail, and they do NOT require the payment of any fees up-front.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Somebody cares about me!

Post by fortinbras »

I got this e-mail this morning (June 8th):

ACT FAST!!!!!!!!‏
Sent: Mon 6/07/10 11:36 PM
To:

Hello,
This is the only way I could contact you for now,I want you to be very careful about this and keep this secret with you until I make out space for us to see. You have no need of knowing who I am or where I am from.I know this may sound very surprising to you but it’s the situation.I have been paid some ransom in advance to terminate you with some reasons listed to me by my employer. It’s someone I beleive you call a friend, I have followed you closely for a while now and have seen that you are innocent of the accusations he leveled against you. Do not contact the police or try to send a copy of this to them,because if you do, I will know,and I might be pushed to do what I have been paid to do.Besides, this is the time I turn out to be a betrayer in my job.I took pity on you,that is why I have made up my mind to help you if you are willing to help yourself. Now listen,I will arrange for us to see face to face,but before that, I need $5,000. I will come to your home or you determine where you wish we meet; I repeat, do not arrange for the cops and if you play hard to get, it will be extended to your family.Do not set any camera to cover us or set up any tape to record our conversation, my employer is in my control now. Payment details will be provided for you to make a part payment of $3,000 first,which will serve as gurantee that you are ready to co-orperate,then i will post a copy of the video tape that contains his request for me to terminate you which will be enough evidence for you to take any legal action against him before he employs another person for the job. You will pay the balance of $2,000 once you receive the tape.

Warning: do not contact the police, make sure you stay indoors once it is 7.30 until this whole thing is sorted out,if you neglect any of these warnimgs, you will have yourself to blame. You do not have much time, so get back to me immediately.

Note: I will advise you to keep this within yourself alone, not even a friend or a family member should know about it because it could be one of them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apart from the fact that the sender doesn't know my name and appears to not be living in an English-speaking country, I cannot tell you how gratifying it is to know that someone, somewhere, thinks I am important enough to spend money to whack. Purportedly someone I call a friend - except that I don't have any.
Unfortunately, I don't have any money lying around to pay this guy because all my assets are tied up helping a Nigerian widow sneak $3B out of Africa, but I'd be very appreciative if any one you would chip in to keep me alive.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Somebody cares about me!

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I'll put up enough to cover the full amount, in freshly-printed 500-Quatloos banknotes. :)
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Damn it why don't they ever send me death threats? A death threat would be an excuse to buy more guns. I live on top of a hill with 200 feet of clear to the woods on two sides, a 700 foot driveway on the third side, and a 4 foot tall 5 strand barbed wire fence on the fourth side, I would have nothing to fear, but still you must take precautions.

Seriously though three letters: FBI

They claim to take these cases seriously. I personally think you have nothing to worry about, you seem like a person with some means, if someone was following you around to kill you they would ask for a lot more then $3000 not to do it.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

bmielke wrote:Damn it why don't they ever send me death threats? A death threat would be an excuse to buy more guns. I live on top of a hill with 200 feet of clear to the woods on two sides, a 700 foot driveway on the third side, and a 4 foot tall 5 strand barbed wire fence on the fourth side, I would have nothing to fear, but still you must take precautions.
Bah, that's nothing, I can clear a 4 ft. high barbed wire fence running. Don't believe me... ever been chased by an insanely protective mother cow? :shock:
Seriously though three letters: FBI

They claim to take these cases seriously. I personally think you have nothing to worry about, you seem like a person with some means, if someone was following you around to kill you they would ask for a lot more then $3000 not to do it.
I think I would report it too, especially if it came to a personal e-mail address, as opposed to a more generic e-mail address.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Mr. Mephistopheles wrote:
bmielke wrote:Damn it why don't they ever send me death threats? A death threat would be an excuse to buy more guns. I live on top of a hill with 200 feet of clear to the woods on two sides, a 700 foot driveway on the third side, and a 4 foot tall 5 strand barbed wire fence on the fourth side, I would have nothing to fear, but still you must take precautions.
Bah, that's nothing, I can clear a 4 ft. high barbed wire fence running. Don't believe me... ever been chased by an insanely protective mother cow? :shock:
Yep, but can you dodge the 30 Rds of .223 coming your way as you jump over the fence? That's assuming my neighbor doesn't "deal" with you for messing with his cows.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

fortinbras wrote:I got this e-mail this morning (June 8th):

ACT FAST!!!!!!!!‏
Sent: Mon 6/07/10 11:36 PM
To:

Hello,
This is the only way I could contact you for now,I want you to be very careful about this and keep this secret with you until I make out space for us to see. You have no need of knowing who I am or where I am from.I know this may sound very surprising to you but it’s the situation.I have been paid some ransom in advance to terminate you with some reasons listed to me by my employer.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apart from the fact that the sender doesn't know my name and appears to not be living in an English-speaking country, I cannot tell you how gratifying it is to know that someone, somewhere, thinks I am important enough to spend money to whack. Purportedly someone I call a friend - except that I don't have any.
Unfortunately, I don't have any money lying around to pay this guy because all my assets are tied up helping a Nigerian widow sneak $3B out of Africa, but I'd be very appreciative if any one you would chip in to keep me alive.
The FBI really does want to hear about those. I forwarded a couple to the local office, and they stopped shortly thereafter.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

bmielke wrote:
Yep, but can you dodge the 30 Rds of .223 coming your way as you jump over the fence? That's assuming my neighbor doesn't "deal" with you for messing with his cows.
I'll take my chances with your ability to hit a running target, over 1500 lbs. of very irate cow who can move surprisingly fast and won't miss if she gets "in range". :wink: :mrgreen:

But we digress, let's not be accused of thread hijacking.