Buhtz, Barton

The purpose of this board is to track the status of activity, cases, and ultimately the incarceration or fines against TP promoters and certain high-profile TPs.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: Buhtz, Barton

Post by wserra »

In a reply to the "Payment with a Bond" thread in the TP froum, JRB mentioned Buhtz, and it occurred to me that we had never followed up his conviction and sentence. Here is the rest of the story.

Buhtz was convicted on five substantive aiding and abetting counts and on one conspiracy count. The DJ sentenced him to 36 months imprisonment. Represented by counsel, he argued on appeal that (among other things) the evidence was insufficient on the substantive counts. The Ninth Circuit agreed as to one of the five, reversed as to that one, and (by decision filed May 18, 2009) remanded for resentence - a necessity, since one of the counts on which he was sentenced originally was reversed.

Judge Panner, not surprisingly, resentenced Buhtz to the same 36 months on September 8, 2009. For some reason, his statement of reasons is sealed. It appears that Buhtz has been on bail for the entire five-year pendency of this case, but he is ordered to surrender on May 3, 2010. According to an affidavit from his lawyer, he had rotator cuff surgery in December, and is still rehabbing.

His shoulder injury probably resulted from constantly patting himself on the back before audiences of nitwits - before becoming a felon.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
weazie

Post by weazie »

Buhtz now is in the Taft Correctional Institution.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Seventy-three year old Barton Albert Buhtz, inmate # 44316-112, is now listed as being at the Long Beach Community Corrections Office of the Federal Bureau of Prisons at San Pedro, California, with a projected release date of November 27, 2012.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

The Federal Bureau of Prisons reports that Barton Albert Buhtz, inmate # 44316-112, was indeed released from prison on November 27, 2012.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Any bets as to how soon he'll be back in trouble?

Barty hasn't shown any great bursts of sense in recent years, and not much reason to expect a change in methodology. Although I would think he is getting a bit long in the tooth to be committing serial stupidities?
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.