Snipes, Wesley

The purpose of this board is to track the status of activity, cases, and ultimately the incarceration or fines against TP promoters and certain high-profile TPs.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Post by LPC »

Snipes as petitioned for cert to the Supreme Court, No. 10-1075, on issues relating to venue:
REASONS FOR GRANTING THE WRIT

1. Assigning the exclusive determination of contested venue to the jury in the challenged locale fails to protect a defendant's fundamental rights under Article III and the Sixth Amendment

2. This case presents an additional Fifth and Sixth Amendment issue of national importance: whether venue, a fact necessary to the conviction in a criminal case, can be established by a mere preponderance of the evidence
Given that (as far as I know) there is no division among the circuit courts on these issues, a grant of cert is unlikely.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC

Post by LPC »

The petition is scheduled for conference on June 2.
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC

Post by LPC »

LPC wrote:The petition is scheduled for conference on June 2.
And cert. was denied on 6/6.
Dan Evans
LPC

Post by LPC »

The district court's denial of a motion for a new trial was denied on appeal. United States v. Wesley Trent Snipes, No. 10-15573 (10th Cir. 9/6/2011), affirming No. 5:06-cr-00022-WTH-KRS-1
(M.D. Fla.).
Dan Evans
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

LPC wrote:The district court's denial of a motion for a new trial was affirmed on appeal. United States v. Wesley Trent Snipes, No. 10-15573 (10th Cir. 9/6/2011), affirming No. 5:06-cr-00022-WTH-KRS-1
(M.D. Fla.).
Correction?
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Snipes was reportedly released from prison to home confinement today.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

Dr. Caligari wrote:Snipes was reportedly released from prison to home confinement today.
Just in time to file his 2012 tax return!
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

It appears that Wesley Snipes will have some opportunity to pay back some of his past due taxes. He will be appearing in The Expendables 3. It would appear they added Wesley, Harrison Ford, Antonio Banderas and Mel Gibson to this sequel.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2333784/ful ... t_ov_st_sm
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

http://www.bna.com/snipes-contests-arbi ... 982063456/
Actor Wesley Snipes, who served more than two years in prison for failure to file tax returns, is fighting a nearly $17.5 million collection determination for tax years 2001-06, asking the U.S. Tax Court to let him enter the IRS's Fresh Start program.

According to the Nov. 5 petition, the “issuance of the notices of determination flows from an abuse of discretion,” and the Internal Revenue Service based its denial of an $842,000 offer in compromise from Snipes, as well as subsequent “unreasonable collection potential determinations,” on long-lost assets.
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Post by jcolvin2 »

https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/UstcDockInq/ ... o=15027902

There are now cross motions for summary judgment pending in Snipes' CDP case. Trial is calendared for December 5, 2016 in Atlanta. Snipes is represented by David Aughtry of Chamberlain Hrdlicka, one of the best tax litigators in the country.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Yep. Big improvement over Eddie Kahn (not to mention Dwight York).
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

jcolvin2 wrote:https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/UstcDockInq/ ... o=15027902

There are now cross motions for summary judgment pending in Snipes' CDP case. Trial is calendared for December 5, 2016 in Atlanta. Snipes is represented by David Aughtry of Chamberlain Hrdlicka, one of the best tax litigators in the country.
I don't know Aughtry, but I know he is definitely a heavy-weight (he's in the Atlanta office).

Back in the 1980s, I interviewed for an associate position at Chamberlain Hrdlicka in Houston (didn't get an offer). From time to time, I see Larry Campagna (of the Houston office) teaching criminal tax at various continuing education courses. (Campagna is an adjunct at the University of Houston Law Center, where I believe he and Jack Townsend still teach criminal tax.)
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
jcolvin2

Post by jcolvin2 »

Famspear wrote:
I don't know Aughtry, but I know he is definitely a heavy-weight (he's in the Atlanta office).

Back in the 1980s, I interviewed for an associate position at Chamberlain Hrdlicka in Houston (didn't get an offer). From time to time, I see Larry Campagna (of the Houston office) teaching criminal tax at various continuing education courses. (Campagna is an adjunct at the University of Houston Law Center, where I believe he and Jack Townsend still teach criminal tax.)
I use his textbook* for my Criminal Tax class at the UW Law School, but I understand that Jack has moved to Charlottesville, VA.

* While I say "his textbook," I should recognize his co-authors, Larry Campagna, Scott Schumacher and Steve Johnson, all of whom are among the best and the brightest in the tax controversy bar.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

jcolvin2 wrote:
Famspear wrote:

I use his textbook* for my Criminal Tax class at the UW Law School, but I understand that Jack has moved to Charlottesville, VA.

* While I say "his textbook," I should recognize his co-authors, Larry Campagna, Scott Schumacher and Steve Johnson, all of whom are among the best and the brightest in the tax controversy bar.
You federal criminal tax law practitioners get to have all the fun! I just get to read about it!

:)
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Famspear wrote:From time to time, I see Larry Campagna (of the Houston office) teaching criminal tax at various continuing education courses.
Do you want to rephrase that? "Criminal lawyers" is possible to parse in a way which suggests the practitioners are following the law, but I don't see a way to parse "criminal tax" in such a manner. :lol:
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Arthur Rubin wrote:
Famspear wrote:From time to time, I see Larry Campagna (of the Houston office) teaching criminal tax at various continuing education courses.
Do you want to rephrase that? "Criminal lawyers" is possible to parse in a way which suggests the practitioners are following the law, but I don't see a way to parse "criminal tax" in such a manner. :lol:

Actually, I think he may have something there. :?
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
wserra

Post by wserra »

Beats "tax criminal".
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
jcolvin2

Post by jcolvin2 »

https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/InternetOrde ... sID=211946

Matter remanded to Appeals for supplemental determination.
jcolvin2

Post by jcolvin2 »

https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/InternetOrde ... sID=218317

The parties are still in attempting to resolve the case.
jcolvin2

Post by jcolvin2 »

https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/InternetOrde ... sID=237235

The parties are still attempting to resolve the case.