Snipes, Wesley

The purpose of this board is to track the status of activity, cases, and ultimately the incarceration or fines against TP promoters and certain high-profile TPs.
User avatar
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ
Posts: 5231
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:38 am
Location: Earth

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby LPC » Fri May 27, 2011 2:30 pm

Snipes as petitioned for cert to the Supreme Court, No. 10-1075, on issues relating to venue:

REASONS FOR GRANTING THE WRIT

1. Assigning the exclusive determination of contested venue to the jury in the challenged locale fails to protect a defendant's fundamental rights under Article III and the Sixth Amendment

2. This case presents an additional Fifth and Sixth Amendment issue of national importance: whether venue, a fact necessary to the conviction in a criminal case, can be established by a mere preponderance of the evidence

Given that (as far as I know) there is no division among the circuit courts on these issues, a grant of cert is unlikely.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

User avatar
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ
Posts: 5231
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:38 am
Location: Earth

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby LPC » Fri May 27, 2011 2:32 pm

The petition is scheduled for conference on June 2.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

User avatar
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ
Posts: 5231
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:38 am
Location: Earth

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby LPC » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:22 am

LPC wrote:The petition is scheduled for conference on June 2.

And cert. was denied on 6/6.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

User avatar
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ
Posts: 5231
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:38 am
Location: Earth

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby LPC » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:18 pm

The district court's denial of a motion for a new trial was denied on appeal. United States v. Wesley Trent Snipes, No. 10-15573 (10th Cir. 9/6/2011), affirming No. 5:06-cr-00022-WTH-KRS-1
(M.D. Fla.).
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia
Posts: 1475
Joined: Fri May 30, 2003 12:02 am
Location: Brea, CA

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby Arthur Rubin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:25 am

LPC wrote:The district court's denial of a motion for a new trial was affirmed on appeal. United States v. Wesley Trent Snipes, No. 10-15573 (10th Cir. 9/6/2011), affirming No. 5:06-cr-00022-WTH-KRS-1
(M.D. Fla.).
Correction?
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95

User avatar
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets
Posts: 1531
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:02 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby Dr. Caligari » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:16 pm

Snipes was reportedly released from prison to home confinement today.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)

User avatar
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species
Posts: 877
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:09 pm
Location: Hovering overhead, scanning for prey

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby Kestrel » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:24 am

Dr. Caligari wrote:Snipes was reportedly released from prison to home confinement today.

Just in time to file his 2012 tax return!
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein

User avatar
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh
Posts: 2661
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:01 am

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby JamesVincent » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:56 pm

It appears that Wesley Snipes will have some opportunity to pay back some of his past due taxes. He will be appearing in The Expendables 3. It would appear they added Wesley, Harrison Ford, Antonio Banderas and Mel Gibson to this sequel.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2333784/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm
Lift me up above this, the flames and the ashes,
Lift me up and help me to fly away.
Lift me up above this, the broken, the empty,
Lift me up and help me to fly away,
Lift me up!

Five Finger Death Punch "Lift Me Up"

User avatar
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet
Posts: 1202
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:43 pm

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby Lambkin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:51 am

http://www.bna.com/snipes-contests-arbi ... 982063456/
Actor Wesley Snipes, who served more than two years in prison for failure to file tax returns, is fighting a nearly $17.5 million collection determination for tax years 2001-06, asking the U.S. Tax Court to let him enter the IRS's Fresh Start program.

According to the Nov. 5 petition, the “issuance of the notices of determination flows from an abuse of discretion,” and the Internal Revenue Service based its denial of an $842,000 offer in compromise from Snipes, as well as subsequent “unreasonable collection potential determinations,” on long-lost assets.

User avatar
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:19 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby jcolvin2 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:19 pm

https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/UstcDockInq/DocketDisplay.aspx?DocketNo=15027902

There are now cross motions for summary judgment pending in Snipes' CDP case. Trial is calendared for December 5, 2016 in Atlanta. Snipes is represented by David Aughtry of Chamberlain Hrdlicka, one of the best tax litigators in the country.

User avatar
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Posts: 6431
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:39 pm

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby wserra » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:40 pm

Yep. Big improvement over Eddie Kahn (not to mention Dwight York).
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume

Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax
Posts: 7208
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 1:59 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby Famspear » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:44 pm

jcolvin2 wrote:https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/UstcDockInq/DocketDisplay.aspx?DocketNo=15027902

There are now cross motions for summary judgment pending in Snipes' CDP case. Trial is calendared for December 5, 2016 in Atlanta. Snipes is represented by David Aughtry of Chamberlain Hrdlicka, one of the best tax litigators in the country.


I don't know Aughtry, but I know he is definitely a heavy-weight (he's in the Atlanta office).

Back in the 1980s, I interviewed for an associate position at Chamberlain Hrdlicka in Houston (didn't get an offer). From time to time, I see Larry Campagna (of the Houston office) teaching criminal tax at various continuing education courses. (Campagna is an adjunct at the University of Houston Law Center, where I believe he and Jack Townsend still teach criminal tax.)
...why is anyone in this [losthorizons] community paying the least attention to...'Larry Williams' [Famspear], or other purveyors of disinformation from...quatloos? – Pete Hendrickson, former inmate 15406-039, Fed’l Bureau of Prisons

User avatar
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:19 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby jcolvin2 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:42 am

Famspear wrote:
I don't know Aughtry, but I know he is definitely a heavy-weight (he's in the Atlanta office).

Back in the 1980s, I interviewed for an associate position at Chamberlain Hrdlicka in Houston (didn't get an offer). From time to time, I see Larry Campagna (of the Houston office) teaching criminal tax at various continuing education courses. (Campagna is an adjunct at the University of Houston Law Center, where I believe he and Jack Townsend still teach criminal tax.)


I use his textbook* for my Criminal Tax class at the UW Law School, but I understand that Jack has moved to Charlottesville, VA.

* While I say "his textbook," I should recognize his co-authors, Larry Campagna, Scott Schumacher and Steve Johnson, all of whom are among the best and the brightest in the tax controversy bar.

Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax
Posts: 7208
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 1:59 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby Famspear » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:22 pm

jcolvin2 wrote:
Famspear wrote:
I don't know Aughtry, but I know he is definitely a heavy-weight (he's in the Atlanta office).

Back in the 1980s, I interviewed for an associate position at Chamberlain Hrdlicka in Houston (didn't get an offer). From time to time, I see Larry Campagna (of the Houston office) teaching criminal tax at various continuing education courses. (Campagna is an adjunct at the University of Houston Law Center, where I believe he and Jack Townsend still teach criminal tax.)


I use his textbook* for my Criminal Tax class at the UW Law School, but I understand that Jack has moved to Charlottesville, VA.

* While I say "his textbook," I should recognize his co-authors, Larry Campagna, Scott Schumacher and Steve Johnson, all of whom are among the best and the brightest in the tax controversy bar.


You federal criminal tax law practitioners get to have all the fun! I just get to read about it!

:)
...why is anyone in this [losthorizons] community paying the least attention to...'Larry Williams' [Famspear], or other purveyors of disinformation from...quatloos? – Pete Hendrickson, former inmate 15406-039, Fed’l Bureau of Prisons

Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia
Posts: 1475
Joined: Fri May 30, 2003 12:02 am
Location: Brea, CA

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby Arthur Rubin » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:04 pm

Famspear wrote:From time to time, I see Larry Campagna (of the Houston office) teaching criminal tax at various continuing education courses.
Do you want to rephrase that? "Criminal lawyers" is possible to parse in a way which suggests the practitioners are following the law, but I don't see a way to parse "criminal tax" in such a manner. :lol:
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95

Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Posts: 3557
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 7:04 pm
Location: West of the Pecos

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby Judge Roy Bean » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:20 pm

Arthur Rubin wrote:
Famspear wrote:From time to time, I see Larry Campagna (of the Houston office) teaching criminal tax at various continuing education courses.
Do you want to rephrase that? "Criminal lawyers" is possible to parse in a way which suggests the practitioners are following the law, but I don't see a way to parse "criminal tax" in such a manner. :lol:



Actually, I think he may have something there. :?
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three

User avatar
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Posts: 6431
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:39 pm

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby wserra » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:22 pm

Beats "tax criminal".
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume

User avatar
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:19 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby jcolvin2 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:17 pm


User avatar
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:19 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby jcolvin2 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:56 pm


User avatar
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:19 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Postby jcolvin2 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:42 pm



Return to “TP Status Board: Tracking Promoters and High-Profile TPs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Common Crawl [Bot] and 1 guest