Walter Hoyt dies in prison

The purpose of this board is to track the status of activity, cases, and ultimately the incarceration or fines against TP promoters and certain high-profile TPs.

Walter Hoyt dies in prison

Postby Nikki » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:05 pm

The Federal Bureau of Prisons has confirmed to Tax Analysts that Walter J. Hoyt died September 6 while in prison. Hoyt, infamous in the tax community for spawning decades of litigation based on his eponymous tax shelter scheme, had been serving out his sentences for fraud and money laundering in the Federal Correctional Institution in Terminal Island, San Pedro, Calif. No cause of death was made public.

Hoyt's scheme involved selling limited interests in cattle and sheep partnerships to thousands of unwary individuals eager to make an easy investment return. Audits by the IRS of the partnerships' and investors' tax returns showed that depreciation and tax credits had been claimed for nonexistent animals. The ensuing litigation involved deficiencies, interest, and penalties amounting to hundreds of millions of dollars and encompassed decades of judicial resources.

In 2001 Hoyt was convicted on 1 count of conspiracy to commit fraud, 31 counts of mail fraud, 3 counts of bankruptcy fraud, and 17 counts of money laundering. He was scheduled for release from prison in 2018.
Nikki

Postby BBFlatt » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:19 pm

A November 2004 Sacramento Business Journal article dated November 2004 gives his age as 64, which would make him about 67 at the time of his death.
Last edited by BBFlatt on Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the last law was down and the devil turned 'round on you where would you hide, the laws all being flat? ...Yes, I'd give the devil the benefit of the law, for my own safety's sake. -- Robert Bolt; A Man for all Seasons
BBFlatt
Pirates Mate
Pirates Mate

Postby webhick » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:20 pm

BBFlatt wrote:A November 2004 Sacramento Business Journal article dated November 2004 gives his age as 64, which would make him about 67 at the time of his death.[/url]

67 is awfully young. I wonder what the cause of death was.
“He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master.” - Hunter S. Thompson
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Postby The Observer » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:32 pm

Prison health care is not very good and I suspect that entering prison for a long period of time subtracts years from your life.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
The Observer
Coordinator of the Grand Conspiracies

Re: Walter Hoyt dies in prison

Postby reno » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:01 pm

he died of heart failure, he had heart conditions and was set to go to the doctors for numerous days to get new prescriptions, but they kept postponing it. so he died.
reno
Tourist to Quatloosia
 Tourist to Quatloosia

Re: Walter Hoyt dies in prison

Postby JamesVincent » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Wow, talk about dead thread revival....

"It's so heart warming when you get to see the little ones slowly tentatively move out of the nest and out in to the great big world out there, ready to get started on their very own epic fail." Notorial Dissent
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Return to TP Status Board: Tracking Promoters and High-Profile TPs