Rice, Shawn

The purpose of this board is to track the status of activity, cases, and ultimately the incarceration or fines against TP promoters and certain high-profile TPs.
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Rice, Shawn

Post by Lambkin »

(Continuing this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3927&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a)

Brief Shawn Rice update
Now that a federal magistrate has allowed him to act as his own lawyer in his criminal case, Shawn Rice is back to stirring up mischief in court.
He recently filed a 19-page document he called “Supoena Duces Tecum, or in the alternative, Petition to Dismiss with Prejudice in This Matter.”
For the rest, visit this page and scroll down to the 2nd bit.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/au ... n-proceed/
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: Rice, Shawn

Post by wserra »

If anyone wishes to get an entire quota of authentic frontier gibberish on the first day of the month, here is Rice's, um, document. Among the more intelligible "arguments" is that Rice cannot be prosecuted due to the failure of the govt to "publish" appropriate "letters of marque and reprisal".

That's pirate stuff. Rice must think he's on Quatloos.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Everyone should read this guys Resume, a great deal of it seems like mail order courses, I wouldn't be surprised if he made up half of it.

http://www.riceandassociates.net/html/memorandum.html

A link can be found right under the aquamarine Rice and Associates.
EDUCATION

Novus University – Completed Juris Doctor in May 2008 with thesis on Admiralty/Maritime law. Plans to follow with LLM studies. Program advisor/mentor is Jay Thomas PhD. JD. – California.

SHEPPERTON UNIVERSITY – Law School – began program January 2002 completed January 2006. Holds Letter of Law Bachelor (LLB). For list of courses, books covered email a request to simpegideon@yahoo.com Course of study covered partially by Gilbert’s Law Books, audio tapes, elegalines, exams.

PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR - enrolled with PCDI (Professional Career Development Institute) in the Professional Private Investigator Program. Project resumed and working towards completion.

HEBREW - Continuing education in ecclesiastical studies. Learning to read, write and speak Hebrew, ongoing training.

PARALEGAL STUDIES – (June 2000 – October 2001) Completed certified paralegal schooling through [accredited] Kaplan College [since renamed The College of Professional Studies] of Boca Raton, Florida.

INDEPENDENT STUDIES – (May 1994 – to date) hired in excess of 25 mentors to learn various fields of law, business and banking. Method of research is locate data, read authors work, contact author, hire author for independent private schooling and continue to build upon that data from mentor to mentor. Standard rules of intelligence data collection applied.

CONTINUING LEARNING – attended continuing legal education (CLE) by Bryan Garner titled The Winning Brief in San Diego, California, June 5, A.D. 2000.

WILLIAM HOWARD TAFT UNIVERSITY School of Law. Was engaged in first year of a Bar accredited Law School. Stopped in September 1999 to build another business division of Attorneys, Lawyers and Barristers for the International Division of another company.

LAUGHLIN ASSOCIATES, INC. - Private entity structuring training for personal refresher and company employees training on the inter-workings of Corporations and how to integrate the business corporation with Trusts and the International banking arena.

BARRISTER’s INN - Private correspondence law school. January to December 1996. Studied independently, United States Code, Arizona Revised Statutes, American Foundational Documents, some of the Treaties and Uniform agreements between the States and the United States Government, various areas of case law, court procedures, various motions, entities and some applicable case law, American Jurisprudence, Corpus Juris Secundum, an overview of contracts from the “In a Nutshell” series as well as Emanuel Law Outlines on Contracts, Torts, criminal law, constitutional law, trust law, property law, and some research into international agreements.

WEALTH ACADEMY - A Private training program under UNITED SUPPORT ASSOCIATION which provides a short course on entity structuring and other business concepts through Mr. Wade Cook.

FREE ENTERPRISE SOCIETY training under (now deceased) Andrew J. Galumbos, completed V-50.
Thats a great deal of it anyway, he had 15 references it would be interesting to find out if they ever heard of Shawn Rice.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

We covered his background in pretty good detail on a prior thread.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3927
Demo.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Demosthenes wrote:We covered his background in pretty good detail on a prior thread.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3927
Sorry I am new to Quatloos, I have only been checking the site for about a month, and this guy just screams fake to me.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

He is a big faker.

Welcome to Quatloos!
Demo.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

A true legend in his own mind.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Pantherphil
Cannoneer
Cannoneer

Post by Pantherphil »

How reassuring to learn that Mr. Rice's legal education consists of perusing Gilbert's Notes, Emmanuel's Law Outlines, Am Jur (do you think he got into AmJur 2d), Corpus Juris Secundum, and Contracts in a Nutshell. Cite those sources in a brief to a real court and the judge will laugh at you.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Pantherphil wrote:How reassuring to learn that Mr. Rice's legal education consists of perusing Gilbert's Notes, Emmanuel's Law Outlines, Am Jur (do you think he got into AmJur 2d), Corpus Juris Secundum, and Contracts in a Nutshell. Cite those sources in a brief to a real court and the judge will laugh at you.
He probably left out his having studied the old Classic Comics dealing with U.S. history -- out of modesty so as not to appear overeducated, I'm sure.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

This one must have been "fun" to write. (Sorry for the terrible formatting.)
GREGORY A. BROWER
United States Attorney
District of Nevada
ERIC JOHNSON
Chief, Organized Crime Strike Force
GENEVA LEMON
Certified Law Clerk
333 Las Vegas Boulevard South, Suite 5037
Las Vegas, Nevada 89101
Telephone: (702)388-6336
Facsimile: (702-388-6418
Attorneys for the Plaintiff
United States of America
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
DISTRICT OF NEVADA
-oOo-
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, )
)
Plaintiff, ) Case No: 2:09-CR-00078-JCM-RJJ
) OPPOSITION TO DEFENDANT’S
) MOTION TO DISMISS
v. )
)
SAMUEL DAVIS, and )
SHAWN RICE, )
)
Defendants. )
____________________________________)

Plaintiff, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, by and through counsel of record, opposes
defendant’s Motion to Dismiss Indictment for Lack of Jurisdiction. This opposition is made
and based upon the following and all other pleadings and papers on file with the Court.
It is difficult to decipher all of the defendant’s claims. There seems to be an argument
that the criminal indictment failed to comply with Federal Rule of Civil Procedure, Rule 17 and
does not identify a real person of interest. However, this is not a civil proceeding. Defendant
has been charged by indictment with violating federal criminal offenses. Exhibit 1 (Crim.
Indictment, March 2009). The indictment the Government has brought against the defendant
complies with the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure, in particular in this instance Rule 7,
concerning nature and content. The Government has and will continue to proceed with this
matter in compliance with the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure.

Furthermore, within the defendant’s somewhat confused legal analysis, there seems to
be a request to dismiss the criminal action on the grounds that this court lacks jurisdiction
because it is a Court of Admiralty. The defendant draws this conclusion based on the idea that
the United States Flag displayed in front of the courthouse is an Admiralty flag. This
assumption is also the basis for the defendant’s demand for the production of documents that
do not exist, and, subsequently, are impossible to produce: i.e., letter(s) of marque and reprisal.

Therefore, this response will address the only clear issue of whether or not it is appropriate for
this court to exercise jurisdiction over the defendant and the subject matter.
The United States Constitution, Article III, sections 1 and 2, invest Congress with the
authority to create federal district courts and to give them jurisdiction in the “exact degree and
character which congress may think proper for the public good.” Cary v. Curtis, 44 U.S. 236,
245 (1845). The United States District Court for the District of Nevada is one of those courts
imbued with original jurisdiction to hear and decide cases pertaining to offenses against the
laws created by Congress. 18 U.S.C. § 3231.
The subject-matter before this court does not relate to the violation of any maritime
laws. The defendant is being charged with the violations of 18 U.S.C. §§ 1956 (a)(3) and 1956
(h), money laundering and money laundering conspiracy. Exhibit 1 (Crim. Indictment, March
2009). These offenses against the federal law were committed on land in the District of
Nevada and elsewhere. It is nonsensical to believe this court would be exercising jurisdiction
as an Admiralty Court over this matter. Black’s Law Dictionary defines admiralty:
1. A court that exercises jurisdiction over all maritime contracts, torts,
injuries, or offenses. * The federal courts are so called when exercising the
their admiralty jurisdiction, which is conferred by the U.S. Constitution
(art. III, § 2, cl. 1). (8th ed. 2004).
The defendant asserts that the flag in front of the courthouse is an Admiralty flag. The
U.S. Flag is a codified symbol of this nation. The regulation of the flag including its design can
be found in 4 U.S.C. § 1 et .al. Nowhere in the flag code does it refer to the national symbol as
an Admiralty flag nor is the flag regulated to being a symbol of maritime law. The defendant
has concluded erroneously that the flag in front of this courthouse identifies this court to be
exercising admiralty jurisdiction over this matter. Instead, pursuant to the U.S. Constitution
Art. III, § 2, cl. 1 and 18 U.S.C. § 3231, (as this is not a civil action) this court appropriately
has subject-matter jurisdiction over this criminal action.
CONCLUSION
The court is not acting as an admiralty court and has original jurisdiction to hear matters
concerning offenses against the United States. This proceeding is not a civil lawsuit but a
criminal proceeding. The alleged criminal acts are violations of federal law committed within
and outside of the District of Nevada. For the aforementioned reasons, the government
respectfully requests this court to deny the defendant’s motion to dismiss and to quash his
subpoena duces tecum.
DATED this 28th day of August, 2009.
GREGORY A. BROWER
United States Attorney
/s/ Eric Johnson
ERIC JOHNSON
Chief, Organized Crime Strike Force
/s/ Geneva Lemon
GENEVA LEMON
Certified Law Clerk
Case 2:09-cr-00078-JCM-RJJ Document 74 Filed 08/28/2009
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Adapted from my entry at Wikipedia:

On July 24, 2012, Shawn Rice was found guilty in federal court in Nevada in connection with the same money-laundering scheme that resulted in the conviction of Samuel Lynn Davis. The guilty verdicts came on one count of conspiracy to commit money laundering, thirteen counts of money laundering, and four counts of failure to appear in court in connection with time that Rice spent as a fugitive. Rice, who had also falsely claimed to be a lawyer and a rabbi, was described as "a leader in the anti-government 'sovereign citizens' movement." Jeff German, July 24, 2012, "Leader in anti-government movement convicted of money laundering," Las Vegas Review-Journal, at:

http://www.lvrj.com/news/leader-in-anti ... 86696.html

During the trial, Rice tried to argue that the presiding federal judge had no authority to render a judgment against Rice. "Anti-government leader found guilty in Vegas case," July 24, 2012, Associated Press, as published by the San Francisco Chronicle, at:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Anti ... 731722.php

See also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_citizen_movement
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

The sentencing for Shawn Talbot Rice has been set for October 24, 2012.

See United States v. Shawn Talbot Rice, case no. 2:10-cr-00520-JCM -RJJ, U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada (Las Vegas Div.).
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Sentencing for Shawn Rice reset for December 27, 2012.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Sentencing for Shawn Rice has been re-set for January 31, 2013.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Sentencing for Shawn Rice re-set for February 7, 2013.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Sentence for Shawn Rice has been re-set for March 20, 2013.
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Any explanation for the delaying?
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Demo.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

All things considered, he got off light. After some of the stunts he pulled, he could have wound up dead, so I think he got lucky.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

I have been checking on this guy every few months at the web site for the Federal Bureau of Prisons, and I have never seen an indication that he was actually in the custody of the Bureau since his sentencing in 2013.

Until now.

The Bureau of Prisons now shows him at the Federal Transfer Center at Oklahoma City (inmate # 89135-008). There is no posting of a projected release date, though.