Simkanin, Richard Michael

The purpose of this board is to track the status of activity, cases, and ultimately the incarceration or fines against TP promoters and certain high-profile TPs.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: Simkanin, Richard Michael

Post by Famspear »

Demosthenes wrote:A letter written by Simkanin a few months after he was reincarcerated:

http://www.cheatingfrenzy.com/SimkaninLetter.pdf

It's fairly depressing and pathetic stuff.
One thing that makes reading the letter so depressing for me is that this guy was so close to the end of his life and still had not figured himself out. He really seemed to believe, on at least some level, that he was on the righteous path -- as do many of these people.

The human capacity for self-delusion is very great. And, perhaps, none of us is "immune."
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Post by Cpt Banjo »

The most pathetic part of the letter was when he refers to somebody talking him into a scheme whereby he wouldn't have to abide by the terms of his release and his being convinced that the guy was legally correct.

Good grief, the sham tax advice he got was no good, and following it got him prison time. Did he really believe that he could blow off the Probation Officer without any repercussions by following some other bogus advice? Didn't he learn anything from his experience?
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

My feeling has always been that it wasn't that he didn't know what he was supposed to be doing, but that as is common went looking for something that suited his wants at the time, i.e. a justification to not pay taxes, and that having found something that fit his requirements, he then believed in it whole heartedly, despite all evidence to the contrary, as he continued to prove the remainder of his sad wasted life.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

The most pathetic part of the letter was when he refers to somebody talking him into a scheme whereby he wouldn't have to abide by the terms of his release and his being convinced that the guy was legally correct.
Not nearly as pathetic as the part where he says his wife left him and no one his family will have anything to do with him due to his fight with the IRS. That's pathetic.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

The most pathetic part to me is where he writes about how tired he has gotten with the "patriot" system and how it is has resulted in him getting nowhere. Yet in the next sentence he continues to swallow the kool-aid.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff