Harrell, Gaylon "Whitey"

The purpose of this board is to track the status of activity, cases, and ultimately the incarceration or fines against TP promoters and certain high-profile TPs.
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Re: Harrell, Gaylon "Whitey"

Post by Prof »

What JRB said; also, complaints about investment advisors, brokers, etc.

Happy holidays, JRB.
"My Health is Better in November."
JustFile

Post by JustFile »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Also surprised not seeing much in the papers or on the 'Net on this.
The reality of life in such matters is this is still a fringe issue with very little national media attention.

In short, the IRS' reputation of never losing thwarts all but the truly delusional followers of the defier/promoters; the vast majority of people aren't going to poke the elephant with their little broken sticks and the wealthy are content to play the avoidance edge of the game with professional advice.

If the IRS were to ever actually be beaten into submission by an appeals court on a major issue it might hit the major network news shows. Until then, those of us with a fascination for people involved in financial train wrecks of their own making (or as victims of others) are a pretty limited audience.

Trust me, there are a lot more people with complaints about lenders than there are people fighting the IRS.
I understand your point, but when Harrell "won" (actually, when his protestor-supporting jury nullified) back in 2000 (1999?), it was all over the news, especially when he and the jury foreman made public appearances in DC in front of other protestors. I guess when the good guys win, it's simply not as interesting.

I was also including the lack of posts by his supporters as well, as there was lots of 'Net ink from his gleeful fans after his win way back when.

Incidentally, the IRS didn't beat him this time, it was the Il Dept of Revenue. I know many people think it's all the same, but it's not.
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

JustFile wrote:I understand your point, but when Harrell "won" (actually, when his protestor-supporting jury nullified) back in 2000 (1999?), it was all over the news, especially when he and the jury foreman made public appearances in DC in front of other protestors. I guess when the good guys win, it's simply not as interesting.

I was also including the lack of posts by his supporters as well, as there was lots of 'Net ink from his gleeful fans after his win way back when.
This is exactly what you should expect. When handed a loss the TP crowd instantly forgets the loser and directs its attention to the next guru or pet theory. Even now, I bet Whitey's previous victory will be what he is remembered for. If he hadn't had a previous victory he would disappear completely.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Incidentally, the IRS didn't beat him this time, it was the Il Dept of Revenue. I know many people think it's all the same, but it's not.
It was the Illinois Dept of Revenue who lost the first trial, too.
JustFile

Post by JustFile »

Paul wrote:
It was the Illinois Dept of Revenue who lost the first trial, too.
Thats correct... "The IRS" is just used as a catch-all term in a lot of what's written, but both trials were state charges. Fortunately they got it right the second time.
Lambkin

Post by Lambkin »

Entered Under: HARRELL, GAYLON L
01/15/2009 Motion for Judgment Notwithstanding the Verdict or in the Alternative a Motion for New Trial filed. UNASSIGNED
12/17/2008 $2,000.00 PR BOND POSTED. Bailiff Oath filed. Trial by Jury filed. Per Judge Harris, Jury Instructions filed in separate envelope, labeled as such. Exhibits filed in separate envelope, labeled as such. All case file put into brown expandable folder.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Is the sentencing still set for Thursday, Feb. 5, 2009?
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Lambkin

Post by Lambkin »

Famspear wrote:Is the sentencing still set for Thursday, Feb. 5, 2009?
Yep, no updates since Jan 16.
Lambkin

Post by Lambkin »

Entered Under: HARRELL, GAYLON L
02/05/2009 Judgment and Sentence and Certificate of Conditions filed. Copies to Deft and AG. UNASSIGNED
02/05/2009 AAGRustik/AAGBian/atty Barringer and Deft are all present. Hearing held on Deft's Motion for Judgment Notwithstanding of Verdict. Deft's Motion for Judgment Nothwithstanding of Verdict is denied. Matter comes on for sentencing hearing. State offers no evidence in aggravation. Defense offers no evidence in mitigation. Arguments as to Sentencing alternatives heard. Deft declines right to allocution. Court concurs unconditionally in plea agreement. Findings made on the record. Appeal rights given. Deft sentenced to: 24 mos. Probation, $2500 fine and court costs, payment of 1996,1997 & 1998 taxes due (plus interest and penalties if any). See Order. TMH
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

May 30, 2013. A Logan County Judge ordered convicted tax protester Gaylon Harrell to file his back tax returns and pay any taxes, penalties and fines owed to the Illinois Department of Revenue and the court system of Logan County. This action came after Harrell failed to comply with the court’s 2009 sentence. The judge also extended Harrell’s two year probation for an additional six months. Harrell filed his old tax returns immediately after the hearing.
http://www.enewspf.com/latest-news/law- ... order.html
Demo.
Lambkin

Post by Lambkin »

It looks like the original case is still being updated:

http://www.judici.com/courts/cases/case ... 006CM215D1
Lambkin

Post by Lambkin »

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/cr ... 963f4.html
A Logan County man has filed three years of Illinois tax returns after the Illinois attorney general’s office filed a petition to revoke his probation for not doing so on time.
Last week, Harrell filed the returns after a hearing before Logan County Judge William Yoder. Attorney General Lisa Madigan’s office filed a petition to revoke the probation for failing to comply with the conditions of his probation.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

According to information here, Harrell was born in 1938, which makes him 75 years old and too old for this kind of stuff.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.