A new scam to me!

Open forum where offshore scams and offshore scammers can be freely discussed. Includes offshore investment and tax fraud and the latest goings-on in the Dominion of Melchizedek, Principality of New Utopia, Kingdom of Enen-Kio, the OITC, and other fake nations and world agencies.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

A new scam to me!

Post by Burnaby49 »

The last time this forum was used was in 2013 (Hi Famspear!) but given the text of the email I just received I don't know how to catagorize this. The atrocious grammar and spelling indicate Nigerian but it isn't talking about how the writer is the widow of a general or diplomat with $30,000,000 that she's willing to share with me if I help her get it out of the country. The email is reproduced in full below. Hope it makes more sense to you than it does to me.
Good day,

We bought your e-address at Internet service. We appoligise for sudden message but we urgently need the operators.

We successfully specialize in the fields of remote branding consulting, ATL, BTL, promotion, and international franchise supporting, offering different prospects for career development regardless of your age and gender.

Now, our international company plans to open a virtual office in your province and is actively staffing up in your country. We are looking for regional managers, regional coordinators, promo models, regional BTL supervisors, event photographers in all regions. Please consider the exceptional suggestion our enterprise has for you! If you want to alter your life for the better, you will certainly find it valuable. If you are willing to become our staff member, just reply this message, fill in this form, and we will reply before long:

- First name:
- Last name
- Phone number:
- DOB:

Please enclose your picture and a CV, if you have one. Do not miss out this career opportunity in a promising project!
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Re: A new scam to me!

Post by AndyK »

And we will pay (actually overpay, please send back the excess) you with forged checks which will take quite a while to bounce and stick you with the loss.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I have to go with AndyK here, either an ID skimming operation, or they will then want you to process payments for them for a nice fee, ultimately coming out of your pocket, of course. Whatever, but scam it is, and it has all the earmarks of the Nigerians.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

While it is probably Nigerian, a lot of scammers in different countries have adopted and adapted the e-mail scam. At this point, I would not be surprised at the country of origin if it is ever revealed.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

Traditionally this particular scam plays out in one of three ways:
1. outright identity theft;
2. "processing" fees for your job application;
3. The most likely is the fraudulent overpayment scam. You're hired and sent a cheque for the first part of your salary. This cheque will be be an overpayment for what your supposed salary really is. The cheque itself is fraudulent but appears on the surface to be from a reputable company - customs brokers are an easy target for a faked cheque. If you're dishonest, no loss to them since the cheque will bounce after a week or so. The way that they make their money is that the honest victim is asked to repay the overage through a Western Union transfer to some unknown PO Box, usually in the US. Just do a google search on car wrapping scam and you will learn all about it.
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

I've always wanted to send one of those back a check drawn on a bank that no longer exists....
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
notorial dissent

LaVidaRoja wrote:I've always wanted to send one of those back a check drawn on a bank that no longer exists....
Why go to the effort when you can just print off a check of your own with with imaginary routing and account numbers. The check printing kits have made that all too easy.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
noblepa
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by noblepa »

notorial dissent wrote:
LaVidaRoja wrote:I've always wanted to send one of those back a check drawn on a bank that no longer exists....
Why go to the effort when you can just print off a check of your own with with imaginary routing and account numbers. The check printing kits have made that all too easy.
But you're an honest person. You'd get caught and charged with writing a bogus check.
notorial dissent

The scammer you gave the check to would have to file a police report, and not likely to happen, since talking to anyone official is about the last thing they want to do.