So Google calls me and tells me that I've won a trip to flor

Open forum where offshore scams and offshore scammers can be freely discussed. Includes offshore investment and tax fraud and the latest goings-on in the Dominion of Melchizedek, Principality of New Utopia, Kingdom of Enen-Kio, the OITC, and other fake nations and world agencies.
Elmware
Blessed Ancient of the Sixth Qu Dynasty

So Google calls me and tells me that I've won a trip to flor

Post by Elmware »

I get this call from a number showing as +6042590409. Some lady tells me that it's a promotion from Google because I am registered with G-Mail. She seemed to have my info correct such as my name, address and email account... She seems kinda pushy too.

Supposedly I have won an all expense trip for 2 to Florida with unlimited mileage car rental and a caribbean cruise with all accommodation covered, but I have to pay a one time registration fee of $259 per person. All I have t do is authorize my credit card. OK, bells are going off in my head, like as if they weren't from the beginning of the call, but something is suspicious.

So how is it they got my info? Well, it's possible that someone may have hacked Google's database or some other site where I have used that email address. I have seen it done on some sites.

Does this sound too good to be real or what? Is it a scam?

It kinda makes that Ramada Plaza Resort Hotel one come to mind, with the foghorn "This is your captain speaking..."
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: So Google calls me and tells me that I've won a trip to

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

The short answer: this is a scam from the get-go. The "registration fee" of $259 per person, the request to "authorize" your credit card, and the pushy woman are screaming red flags, any of which would mark this as a scam. NO legitimate contest will EVER require you to pay any sort of fee, ask you for credit card information, or push you for a response.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

It comes under the heading of, if you won the contest, you won the contest/prize, and there should be nothing you have to pay for to get it. Otherwise, IT IS A SCAM!!!!
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Elmware

Post by Elmware »

Well, she claimed that it wasn't a contest, but a promotion. But the scary part is that she had my info to begin with. She knew my phone number, name, address and even my G-Mail account. I fear that lots of people would think nothing of it and assume it's legit if they have their personal info correct.

eg: "Hello, Is this John Henry?" "Is your home address 123 Fake Street, Fakesville?" and so on... I didn't tell her any of this at the beginning. She had it right there, and my phone isn't even in my name, it's in a friend's name who lives elsewhere.

Somebody must have harvested it from some SQL database somewhere or something.

Anyways, I do realize that this is a scam. I'm just wondering who is likely to fall for it? Am right about the database hacking, or even possibly a phishing site, or even some disgruntled Webmaster selling the info?
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Hmmm. You might try reputation.com's privacy service. (I think, if they can't cause the private data to be deleted, they can obfuscate it by putting other similar addresses for you out on the web.) As for me, when I'm looking for work, I need to have my (mailing) address and (usable -- at least message service) phone number out there....

As it stands, both my wife and I use a common E-mail address; and some of the private information (birthdate) is mine, and some hers.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
notorial dissent

So let me get this right. When you registered with g-mail, a free email service, you gave them all your personal information? Why? They don't care, they don't need it. It is far more likely that whoever this is got your info from some marketing company that sells this stuff in bulk to anyone who wants it, and then they just use whatever name they are playing with to make the call with.

It still comes back to the answer is "NO"!!! and hang up.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Elmware

Post by Elmware »

I only filled out a form to join G-Mail awhile back and filled in the necessary information in the form. Weather they got the info from this form's database or some other site, who knows? The caller only claimed they were from Google, but they could be from anhywhere as far as I know. I mean, I could just as easily tell you that I'm a representative from Microsft, and you could either believe me or don't believe me, but those who do believe me would be suckors.
notorial dissent

I'm not questioning anything you have said.

I'm just pointing out that where ever they got the information they were using it wasn't from Google or whoever.

I have, or had, several free email accounts, and NONE of them had any real information on me.