Unfair corporate bullying

This forum is for new articles and lengthy posts by anybody who desires to contribute quality materials to the website. What is posted here will be propogated to the first page of Quatloos.com's main website. Of course, no advertising, etc.
Chief2k13
Cannoneer
Cannoneer

Unfair corporate bullying

Post by Chief2k13 »

So, a friend of mine is an accountant. He worked for a corporation called Vancouver Native Housing Society ran but a couple white people, lol go figure. Anyways, they had a blog posted up about them and their practices. Here is link
https://nativenewsonlineblog.wordpress. ... g-scandal/

Now say accountant is being taken to court by this company over defamation. Claiming he posted this information publicly and their evidence is this guys email to the board complaining over similar stuff. So they are attempting to demonstrate to the court that due to his complaints which read close to this blog. They believe they can get him on the hook for this defamation case. We will call him Joe, Joe had a lawyer helping him but due to high cost he no longer can afford this without jeopardizing his family and home. He spent at least 7k in lawyer fee already and the lawyer he hired advised him to settle and admit to it but he didn't do it and believes him and the companies lawyer were talking and discussing he settle.

I feel they are just trying to screw this man over but he has no where else to turn and only has a week or so left to prepare for a trial he has no idea how to run. So i wondered if anyone on here had any leads to a lawyer who could help this man, cause once VNHS cant prove he did it, i assume he would have claim for damages now, no? Also he hasnt been presented with any disclosure and applied for more time so he can either find another lawyer or at least get himself ready for trial. i can get the case file from him if that helps you guys but overall, they literally have nothing on him but he is fearful judge will rule in their favor due to his inability to run a trial. He is of East Indian decent and is english isnt the best. Thanks guys. I been helping him best i can but i think he wants some kinda of general comments on the case or something to give him some confidence into going forward.
bmxninja357
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Unfair corporate bullying

Post by bmxninja357 »

start by petitioning the court for a translator. its impossible to have a fair trial when you are not competent in english.

jmo,
ninj
whoever said laughter is the best medicine never had gonorrhea....
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

I'm the only local guy on Quatloos who has some knowledge of the issues and players. If your friend did indeed write this article, and it can be proven in court, he has some big problems unless he can substantiate the accusations made in the article. I found your write-up too vague on details to get a clear enough idea what is going on but the article is clear enough. It contains accusations of breach of duty to the society by managment and unethical dealings. These probably constitute reasonable grounds for a libel suit.
CEO David Eddy and president have luxury lifestyle using VNHS credit cards. Both traveled internationally for the purpose other than the purpose VNHS exist for. Also President was allowed to travel out of province and given money to even treat his guests on the visit. Society held a planning session in 2013 when majority of the local directors and officers enjoy multiple night stay in Vancouver’s star-hotel and dine at very expensive restaurant. In addition CEO traveled to U.K, Australia and U.S staying in luxury hotels, for example one night stay in U.K costing more than $500 per night. There are expenses with missing receipts worth thousands from CEO David Eddy spending by VNHS credit card.

VNHS, for last few years had dysfunctional property management department with almost no supervision by CEO David Eddy or other senior manager. This resulted in very high tenant arrears (way more than 5% allowed as per operating agreement). Many tenants’ files were missing records as of April 2015. VNHS had written off tenant related debt in the past also.

Now to continue on with a bit more. There are many ex-employees who would like to tell their side of the story. The way CEO David Eddy and Jody Puff Handled their employment and firing. They way they just treat native workers like trash to be taken out with no regard. The way they treat tenants in the same type of fashion if not worse. They throw families out on the street. They are supposed to advocate against homelessness, when in fact the company creates alot of it for native people and families. This company is run by a racist man who uses native artist to for gains. He places up the native ancestry like he is doing some kind of good. This man needs to be removed from his position and a new respectable person needs to handle this organization like its supposed to be handled.
I'd say that accusations like these go past acceptable criticism and are probably defamatory if they can't be proven through evidence. So I would disagree that a lawsuit is unfair corporate bullying. It is the reasonably expected consequence of the article. I can't see much that can be done for your friend if he is tied to the article. He can't afford a lawyer and he is unable to handle the case himself. Perhaps he can get legal aid although unlikely. However his only hope of doing anything requires an adjournment which the other side would probably oppose. They will certainly have competent legal representation who know how to handle the issues involved in a court hearing.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Burnaby49 wrote:He can't afford a lawyer and he is unable to handle the case himself.
I have seen both homeowners and business policies that cover defamation. In the U.S., of course.
Perhaps he can get legal aid although unlikely.
For tort defense? Beyond unlikely, at least here.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

Burnaby49 wrote:I'm the only local guy on Quatloos who has some knowledge of the issues and players. If your friend did indeed write this article, and it can be proven in court, he has some big problems unless he can substantiate the accusations made in the article. I found your write-up too vague on details to get a clear enough idea what is going on but the article is clear enough. It contains accusations of breach of duty to the society by managment and unethical dealings. These probably constitute reasonable grounds for a libel suit.
You don't have to be a local guy to have heard of the goings-on at the Vancouver Native Housing Society and the Portland Society. They're a target rich environment but also some damn big windmills to be tilting against. Various news organizations have made accusations about them since 2014. Here's just a sample:
http://vancouversun.com/news/crime/vanc ... -complaint
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Hotel_Society
https://www.charityintelligence.ca/char ... el-society

My advice to your friend would be to go to one of the major news outlets and see if he could get them interested in his story. They may back off a libel/defamation suit if it stinks too badly of the big "charitable" (quotes purposely intended) organization stomping on the little guy.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

I can't claim to be knowledgeable on legal aid rules. It's entirely possible it is only available for criminal issues here too. All I have is a vague memory of some landlord-tenant disputes getting aid but I could be wrong. As I said, unlikely, but given the Chief's friend's position he may as well check.

My home insurance policy certainly doesn't cover defamation and I'm assuming that the Chief's friend, who seems broke, doesn't have insurance in any case. As for business I have no idea of the legal status of Nativenewsonline but it just seems to be a blog.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

My advice to your friend would be to go to one of the major news outlets and see if he could get them interested in his story. They may back off a libel/defamation suit if it stinks too badly of the big "charitable" (quotes purposely intended) organization stomping on the little guy.
Good as advice as any I gave. The Portland Society started out as a regular charity helping downtown east side residents but has grown into a government funded behemoth. Both it and the Vancouver Native Housing Society are now well entrenched institutions that might be averse to negative publicity.