A new haven for Freemen?

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean, ArthurWankspittle

The Observer
Further Moderator

A new haven for Freemen?

Post by The Observer »

A new micro-nation has popped up, similar to Sealand, but this time in the Balkans. And as usual, there are the typical legal and constitutional issues, especially since the physical location happens to be in Croatia and Serbia, two nations that are recognized as such.

Perhaps an Croatian-Serbian alliance, despite the two countries' long history of antagonism to each other, will end Liberland quickly.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
davids
Farting Cow Emeritus

Re: A new haven for Freemen?

Post by davids »

I'm gonna say no. There is a distinction to be made between libertarianism and minarchy, and voluntarism/agorism/anarchy on the other. Freemen are by and large agorists and anarchists who sometimes associate with libertarianism because it is the closest thing to it which gains any recognition from 99% of humanity.
Fmotlgroupie
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Fmotlgroupie »

I'm also going to say no. I only hope that shutting this little idea down is a chance for the governments to work together and not a source of friction (how nice for a couple of outsiders to come down to the Former Yugoslavia and create a potential flashpoint. They knew exactly what the locals needed :sarcasmon: )
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

And now Liberland is declaring that it will become a tax haven...

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

This "country" reminds me of a short story I read about 50 years ago, entitled "Election Fiesta in Ultra". The premise was that Ultra showed up as part of Switzerland on French maps, and as part of France on Swiss maps; so the people of Ultra lived almost completely on their own.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Almost a year later, Liberland is still not in operation but its founder is claiming it soon will be.

JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

There's nothing to stop us.

I think 100 AKs would do nicely.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"