Craig Vitale (Australia)

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean, ArthurWankspittle

wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Craig Vitale (Australia)

Post by wserra »

Several times, here and in other places, I have written about something of my own invention: the "Moon Method" (a/k/a the "Drop Trou Defense"). It usually arises in a context where someone opines that a particular dumbass notion must be right because the IRS hasn't entered it in the list of frivolous nonsense, or a court hasn't found it to be frivolous. I then point out that my idea must be equally valid, since neither fate has befallen dropping trou and mooning the court.

Well, it appears that my words may have reached all the way down under. From Vitale v The Queen [2020] VSCA 237:
Upon the hearing on 10 September 2020, the appellant remained unrepresented. He appeared via audio-visual link from a room at Barwon Prison. When asked by the Court what he wanted to say in support of his appeal, the appellant asserted somewhat truculently that the Court did not ‘give a fuck about [his] circumstances’. Notwithstanding that his tone and attitude were aggressive and disrespectful, the Court asked the appellant on several occasions to stop and listen to what the Court was saying to him. It is fair to say, however, that he conducted himself in such a way as to challenge the Court’s authority, continued to interrupt and loudly talk over the Court, and proceeded to deliver a vituperative tirade, the central theme of which seemed to be that the Court was treating him unfairly. Having for a time tolerated the appellant’s invective, the Court indicated to the appellant that if he had nothing further to say in support of his case, the Court would hear from the respondent’s counsel. Regrettably, shortly after counsel commenced to address the Court, the appellant stood up from the table at which he had been seated, took down his trousers, bent over, exposed his buttocks to the camera and pulled his buttocks apart so as to expose his anus, saying: ‘You just copped a anus [sic], if you want to talk to him again, let me know’. As the respondent’s counsel remarked somewhat understatedly, this behaviour was ‘not very helpful’.
Perhaps somewhat more detail than the legal principles involved required.

Apparently, though, I can still say that the Moon Method has not been found frivolous. It just doesn't work that well.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
TBL
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Craig Vitale (Australia)

Post by TBL »

As the respondent’s counsel remarked somewhat understatedly, this behaviour was ‘not very helpful’.
Somewhat understandably may be somewhat understated. :lol:
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

He was probably inspired by that scene in Braveheart. It's too bad the court didn't have the bailiff launch a couple of tasers at the moon.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

As always my favorite source of legal news was on it first;

https://loweringthebar.net/2020/09/asso ... y-137.html
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs