Murray Gauvreau - pre-Detaxer

Moderator: Burnaby49

Hilfskreuzer Möwe
Northern Raider of Sovereign Commerce
Location: R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 26W 22 R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 2 [signal lost]

Murray Gauvreau - pre-Detaxer

Post by Hilfskreuzer Möwe »

I have become increasingly curious about the very early OPCA phenomenon in Canada. I think one can distill OPCA-related activity into a number of ‘waves’:
  • 1980? – 2000: the precursor individuals

1998 - 2006: the Detaxer movement

2003 – 2013: the Freemen-on-the-Land movement

2012 – onward: the post-Freemen
These date ranges are approximate, and I hope at some point to suggest more definite benchmarks. That said, two of these movements are fairly well defined.

The Detaxers emerged largely from Alberta and British Columbia, and focused their efforts pretty much exclusively on avoiding income tax obligation. There was some interest in a broader-based avoidance of government authority, but at least the majority of litigation related to income tax. Prominent gurus include David-Kevin: Lindsay, Eldon Warman, Russell Porisky, Tom Kennedy, Daniel Lavigne, and Gordon Watson. The most successful of these on a commercial basis was Porisky, who at one point managed a large cross-Canada network of promoters who taught his techniques. The Detaxer movement’s collapse was a consequence of its continual failure to actually meet its objective and public prosecution of its gurus and promoters, particularly members of the Porisky ring.

The Freeman-on-the-Land movement emerged during this period, but targeted a much different population, attracting persons with a more general, anti-government perspective. Its lead guru, Robert Menard, promised a combination of free goodies and general immunity from government authority. Later Dean Clifford emerged as a second guru offering much the same promises, but with a somewhat different theoretical foundation. Menard’s status plummeted when his schemes repeatedly failed or, even more commonly, simply disappeared. Clifford’s popularity continued past this point, however as a whole the Freeman-on-the-Land movement has essentially collapsed in the face of clear court and government response.

At present there are multiple gurus-to-be competing over the remnants of both the Detaxer and Freeman movements: Scott Duncan, “Marcus the dead lawyer”, Chief Rock Sino General, Marcel Bessette of the Peace Makers Society, Wally Dove of the Human Rights Defenders League of Canada, and others.

I’m interested in looking further into the past, at what came before the Detaxers. To date have identified a number of key persons:
  • David Butterfield (viewtopic.php?f=48&t=9798), a promoter in B.C. who operated through the mid 1990’s (or earlier) into the Detaxer period.

Gerry Hart of Winnipeg Manitoba, who I hope to profile in more detail at a later point.

Murray Gauvreau of Alberta, operating from the early 1990’s to perhaps early 2000s.
It is possible that Eldon Warman belongs in the “pre-Detaxer precursor” category. I don’t know a lot about Eldon’s early activity, though I understand his anti-government/tax activities may track back into the United States and the early 1990’s. Just as a general suggestion I think Quatloos could very much benefit from a historical review of Warman, perhaps another contributor might consider that as a thread subject?

My current subject is Murray Gauvreau. He has proven to be a challenging subject to research for a couple reasons. First, he is not the subject of reported case law or media attention, and also his online activities are old and in certain instances, now gone.

Gauvreau has a very interesting link – he is the brother of Glenn Winningham of the House of Fearn (viewtopic.php?f=48&t=9616). Glenn in one of his latest videos (a recorded part of his seminars) was asked about Murray. Glenn’s response was interesting, and wistful – he commented that his brother had become tired of the struggle and now ran an inspection and safety business in northern Alberta.

Of the material I have identified the closest we seem to have to a restatement of Gauvreau’s beliefs is what is described as:
... excerpts from a paper delivered in October, 1991 by Mr. Murray Gauvreau, of Alberta, at a seminar of the Canadian League of Rights, in Calgary, which was published in the July, 1992 issue of “The Canadian Intelligence Service” (55 – 8th Ave. S.E. High River, Alberta, T1V 1E8)
This document until very recently was hosted at what appears to be Murray’s only website (http://www.prolognet.qc.ca/clyde/tax.htm). That cite disappeared in the last month or two. Its contents have, however, been reproduced in a number of other locations online, including this one (http://www.slashdocs.com/nrnzsx/canada-taxes.html). In the interests of ensuring this unusual document is preserved I will reproduce it en toto.
I would like to talk with you today about money, interest, debt, and taxation. Thank you for your interest and for coming to hear me speak. I'm sure that all of you are interested in Income Tax, and the GST. I will no doubt give you some enlightening facts. In order to fully understand the problem that we face today in Canada, we will briefly discuss some important aspects of our history.

In addition, I will try to give you an understanding of how the many taxes we now pay have come about. I will also propose some solutions to our dilemma. But please keep this in mind: our problem is perceived to be vast and complex, and it is intended by those in power that you feel exactly that way, so that you will feel helpless to do anything about it. But after today you will know for certain that our problem is not complex at all, and neither is its solution.

1867 - the B.N.A. Act

As a result of having taken advantage of the many career advancement courses offered by the life insurance industry, I became aware that the banks have exclusive right to issue currency in Canada, as determined by the Federal Bank Act. But I didn't see them printing money, so I decided to find out exactly how they do issue currency. My search led me back into the early history of our nation, and into the history of our Province...

So let's go back a ways, to the year 1867, and look into the pages of the Canadian Constitution, commonly known as the British North America (B.N.A.) Act. Therein lies the real solution to the ailments, both social and economic, that our country suffers from today. It is the same document today that it was when it was written so long ago.

The B.N.A. Act was written in order to establish the legal basis for this country. All laws enacted in Canada, whether by municipal, provincial, or federal government, must comply with the terms of the B.N.A. Act. If they do not, they are then unconstitutional, or in legal terms "ultra vires," and can be disallowed as law. The document belongs to the people of Canada, and not to the parliamentarians or the courts, or to the Prime Minister and the Premiers... It belongs to the people.

The Canadian Constitution was not changed or altered when it was brought home by Mr. Trudeau, as some suggest. However, there was a very important addition made to it at that time. That addition was the Canadian Bill of Human Rights. Today the Canadian Constitution, as we know it, is comprised of the original B.N.A. Act, and the Human Rights Act, together...

Direct taxation belongs to provinces

There are two specific sections of the B.N.A. Act that deal with the delegation of authority between the Federal and Provincial Governments. Sections 91 and 92 deal with authority for various types of taxation, who has authority to levy which taxes, and various other areas of jurisdiction.

The Act is very specific in its direction. The right to tax income, known as "direct" tax, was delegated to the provinces; and it was clearly indicated that any monies so raised must be raised provincially, and used for provincial purposes. The Federal Government was denied the right to levy income tax.

But the Supreme Court of Canada goes further. It states that no level or government is allowed to transfer its authority to another level of government, and if transfer were attempted by one level, it could not legally be accepted by another.

On October 3, 1950, the Supreme Court of Canada handed down a decision in the case involving the Lord Nelson Hotel of Halifax, Nova Scotia, against the Attorneys-General of Nova Scotia and Canada. The case involved the transfer of powers from the Provincial to the Federal Government, and was directly related to the income Tax Act. In a seven-judge unanimous decision, the highest court in our land ruled that power transfers cannot legally take place. The Federal Government was given until 1962 to remove itself from all such power-transfer agreements, including the Income tax business, and scrap the Income Tax Act...

Clearly, the Federal Government has no constitutional right to engage in the Income Tax business, or any other type of direct taxation, whether on behalf of itself or on behalf of the provinces. Therefore, the Income Tax Act is, in itself, unconstitutional, and need not to be obeyed...

The Federal Government can create its own currency

It is interesting to note that the same sections of the B.N.A. Act that disallow the Federal Government the right to collect income tax, did however provide for a means whereby the Federal Government could raise capital. Sections 91 (14, 15,16, 28, 29, and 20) give the Federal Government the authority, and the responsibility, for the control and issue of our currency, based upon the resources and wealth of the nation. They were given an unlimited supply of debt-free money with which to operate the contry. All they had to do was print it. And they did just that for the first 46 years of our country.

Government gives banks credit monopoly

Then, some 46 years after Confederation, in 1913, our parliamentarians were poorly advised in committing a grave injustice to future generations of Canadians by passing an amendment to the B.N.A. Act (without referendum!) commonly known as the Bank Act. By this act, the Federal Government gave to the banking system the sole right to create the financial credit (in reality, the "money") of our nation. And for the last 79 years, the private banking system has been exercising this monopolistic prerogative of creating and controlling the Canadian people's financial credit.

Well, banks don't work for free... they charge "interest." They even charge interest to the Government. And interest can never be repaid; it just keeps adding up, and up, and up, until today our national debt alone is approaching $600 billion.

Shipwrecked on an island

(Editor's note: At this point of his speech, Mr. Gauvreau explains in detail the same story related by Louis Even in "The Money Myth Exploded," formerly called "Salvation Islan":)

Let's assume that those of us here this afternoon are shipwreck survivors, and that we are stranded on a deserted island. Our only means of survival are to help each other by each doing those things that are necessary for the betterment of our new community, until we can be rescued. One of us becomes a farmer, one a fisherman, one a carpenter, and so on.

Each of us has his own role to play for the survival of the community. No one has any money, and at least for the time being, there is no need for money, All are contributing equally, and all are on the same economic level. We are satisfactorily exchanging our goods and services by barter. But gradually, as the community evolves, it becomes apparent that money will be necessary. Bob already has a house, and the carpenter doesn't need another hundred pounds of fish. But we do need to associate, cooperate, and continue to contribute to the community. There needs to be an acceptable and equitable means of exchanging our goods and services...

Then one day, as the community is sitting on the beach, talking about their problem, we notice another raft approaching the island. All are happy to see a new face, and we greet the new arrival warmly. As we continue to talk, someone in the community tells the new arrival about our dilemma, about how we started the community, developed it, built it through cooperation, and advanced to the point where we now need some form of exchange to help make the community grow and flourish. The new arrival's eyes light up. "I have the answer to your problem," says the new arrival. "I'm a banker. I'll set to work right now to print you some money."

The next morning, the whole community meets in front of the banker's new house. As the banker distributes the money, he reminds us that the money belong to him, and that we do not "own" it, but that we can only "borrow" it, and that we must pay a small fee for the privilege of borrowing it. We can pay that at the end of the year. And he requests that each person sign the agreement to pay 5%, which is certainly not excessive interest.

The debt cannot be paid back

The first year goes by. The community functions and prospers during the year; then at the end of the year we return to the banker, to pay him back what we had borrowed. But we find, to our dismay, that we cannot repay the loan, because we do not have enough money. We find that we now owe all that we had borrowed, plus 5%, which is the interest. The $1,000 that we had borrowed has now become $1,050. Since there is obviously no way to pay back the $50, which is the interest, the banker suggests that we leave the loan on the books as a $1,000, leaving a lesser amount of $950 for each of us to operate on for the next year. Seeing no other real answer, the community agrees to the new terms, and attempts to operate with less money for another year.

At the end of the second year, the community faces a similar, but greater, problem. In buying down the loan, we find that our operating capital has now been cut by 10%, to $900. We realize that if the plan is allowed to continue, the banker will own the island, in its entirety, having contributed nothing but the paper and ink (bookkeeping) that was used to monetize the community's real credit in the first place. Some of the islanders protest.

But the banker has now had a couple of years to prepare for this day. To counter the objection that is inevitable, he has taken evasive steps. He has used the time to develop credibility in the community to educate us as to how valuable his service is, and what a fine contribution he has made to the community. He established colleges and universities majoring in economics, and teaches our children and our educators all about his money system. He ensures that few, if any, in the community are aware that there is another way; and he encourages the community to discount as ridiculous any suggestion that there could be a better way to finance a community...

The solution: Social Credit

Then one day, one of the islanders decides to take a walk along the beach and deliberate upon what has happened to the community. As he strolls along, head down, thinking, he notices what appears to be the corner of a book sticking out from the sand. He kneels, and picks up the book and brushes it off. The title, though tarnished from time, wind, and tide, is still readable - "The Meaning of Social Credit." The islanders had never heard of this before, but he has not had a book to read for a long time, so he sits down on the beach to read it. And as he reads, he becomes more and more interested and excited. He realizes that this book holds the real answers to his island's financial problem. The book describes how a community can function very well by simply creating a Balance Sheet, a system of debits and credits...

He runs back to relate the exiting news of his discovery to the rest of the community. As he gathers the islanders to discuss his find, the banker watches with concern. Is his jig up? Has he been found out? Is the community finally ready to take back its property, and reconstruct it, and once again have prosperity and cooperation?

Friends, only you can answer these questions, because the island I talk about is your country, and the community I refer to is all of us.

The story paints a rather dismal picture of the banking system in our country. Please understand, the average bank manager, teller or loans officer, has absolutely no knowledge of what you have just learned. They are merely pawns in a much larger game. But rest assured, those in the upper levels of management in the finance industry are absolutely certain of what they are doing, and how it affects the citizens of this country... Any system that enslaves and controls a population in the way that our finance system does, cannot possibly be from the Lord. So there is only one other place it could come from...

Banks do not lend out depositors' money

Does anybody here know where the banks get the money that they lend out? Actually, most people assume that they lend out depositors' money. But the Bank Act specifies that the bank must retain the depositor's money on account, and must pay him interest on it.

So, where else might the bank get the money?

The Bank Act also specifies that the bank may create, out of nothing, new credit ("money") through loans, but that it must have a relationship to the deposits. Originally, the banks were allowed to lend out six times their deposits, but today banks are allowed to issue new credit up to 26 times their deposits. That means that if I deposit my $1,000 in a Canadian bank, then that bank can issue loans to the tune of $26,000... Go to the bank, get a loan, and ask for the loan proceeds in cash. No matter the size of the loan, you cannot get it in cash - it must be deposited to your account, and cheques written in order to access the money. No tangible money is ever created; only debits and credits (figures) are created...

Today in Canada, the only source of money, whether private, corporate, or governmental need, is a loan from a bank. But you can never borrow your way out of debt. You can only borrow your way into bankruptcy, at which time you turn your back on your assets and your hard work, and give up possession of it to those to whom you owe money, but who gave absolutely no vested interest in your property...

1917: the Federal Income Tax

Now that we understand that the national debt can never be fully repaid using the current system of finance, the question arises: How, then, does it get paid? In 1917, after finding out that the debt was beginning to build, the Federal Government usurped the powers of the provincial governments and, under the guise of the War Debt, instituted the War Debt Income Tax Act. The Act was unconstitutional then, and it is still unconstitutional today. When it was enacted, it was on a voluntary basis, at a rate of 10%, and applied only to those earning $10,000 or more per year. In 1917, the average yearly salary was about $250.

The Income Tax Act could have more appropriately been named the Bank Interest Debt Income Tax Act; but then, people would have fought to the death to keep it out of effect. Since that time, the Federal Government has seen fit to increase the tax rate as high as 65% on high-income individuals, and has also seen fit to remove the lower limits to the point that, as you know, everyone is required to pay...

And now we have had the GST, which in my opinion is equaly as unconstitutional, rammed down our throats by a group of MPs that brashly and boldly declare that they are smarter than we are, and they know best...

Facing up to reality

Our Federal Government has gone so far away from the Constitution, in nearly every area of jurisdiction, that it now conspires to change it altogether. But that is not the solution. Getting back to the way it was written is the solution...

Each one of us selects his mode and method of doing battles with oppressive government. Some of us do it by speaking out... some of us join non-party political groups, some of us pray, and most of us do nothing. We have a condition called the "ostrich syndrome." If we ignore it and don't look at it, it might go away! But remember this: if your head is in the sand, your butt is an open target!

The Hart System: tax avoidance Federal Income Tax is illegal

I handle my fight personally using a system called the Hart System of Effective Tax Avoidance. Gerry Hart passed away recently in Winnipeg, but not before becoming Canada's undisputed champion No. 1 tax fighter. Mr. Hart for many years opted to take an aggressive and active position against oppressive government, and he has not paid income tax in nearly 50 years. During that time, he has been imposed upon, charged, harassed, his privacy invaded, and his person subjected to illegal search. But he has never given an inch. He has been to the Manitoba Court of Appeal 22 times, but has never lost.

In 1950 Gerry Hart received a copy of a Vancouver newspaper article which reported on a recent ruling made by the Supreme Court of Canada. He then requested a copy of the ruling itself, from the Supreme Court Chancery in Ottawa. He also requested a copy of the B.N.A. Act, because the ruling quoted various sections of that document. He found, just as the newspaper had reported, that Section 91 and 92 of the B.N.A. Act do not allow for the Federal Government to be in the Income Tax business.

The two documents - the Supreme Court ruling and the B.N.A. Act - have been the basis of his battle, and the only two documents he has needed. He has never had the benefit of legal counsel, and has chosen to appear in court by himself. His only evidence has been those two documents. Charges against him have been thrown out of court 22 times. The last time, some twelve or so years ago, Revenue Canada was told that if it ever brought Gerry Hart back into court, that Revenue Canada itself would be charged with contempt of court.

Gerry Hart has never been convicted under the Income Tax Act. As he says, "Income Tax is illegal. Therefore the collection of it is also illegal. Since Revenue Canada has no legal method of collecting income tax, they must resort to illegal means." Those illegal means include harassment, intimidation, illegal search, illegal seizure, violation of privacy, extortion, coercion, and complete ignorance and contempt for the human rights of Canadian citizens...

We have various books and booklets available to help to educate on how to prepare to stop paying these illegal taxes. If our "Tax Kit" can help you to avoid several thousands of dollars of tax, it is certainly worth its small investment. Be sure to protect yourself from Revenue Canada before you get involved in this tax fight. Read the books, and find out how...

If you still have questions after you have read the books, then call me. I'll try to help you. I have not paid income tax since 1978, and I have used Gerry Hart's System of Effective Tax Avoidance. I know it works; I'm living proof.

Ladies and Gentlemen: I've talked for a long time. But I cannot overstress the lateness of the hour. We all know what needs to be done, so let's get busy and get to it!

Murray Gauvreau
The document closes by providing Murray’s contact information: General Delivery, Grovedale, Alberta, T0X 1X0, and his phone: (403) 532-6843.

This is the only known example of Murray Gauvreau’s materials of which I am aware. My research has identified two possible additional print items that were written by Gauvreau:
  • 1) An essay entitled “Canada’s Federal Income Tax is Unconstitutional”, in an unidentified 1994 issue of the “Michael Journal” (michaeljournal.org/). This may in fact be the same document quoted above. Unfortunately, the Michael Journal archives only run back to 2000. This sounds like a colourful issue of the publication since another story written by Gilberte Cote-Mercier is entitled “The Beast of the Apocalypse: 666, a Gigantic Self-programming Computer; One Will Need the Number of the Beast to Buy and Sell”. Debit cards are also identified as a mark of the beast!

2) a publication entitled “Declaration of Freedom” (http://www.librarything.com/author/gauvreaumurray), however I have not been able to obtain any further information beyond that this text may exist.
There are a number of cases that directly or indirectly involve Gauvreau. Only one is available on CanLII for public review:
This is an action between the City of Grande Prairie and Cindy Gauvreau concerning a parking ticket. Cindy was represented by her husband, Murray Gauvreau: para 2. The point of dispute is whether an electronic parking meter is a “… mechanical appliance designed for the purpose of automatically gauging and indicating the time within which a vehicle is, or may be parked in a metered space …”: para 3. The Gauvreau’s argued these new-fangled electronic parking meters were not sufficiently “mechanical” to qualify and be a valid parking meter under the bylaws. Both Murray and the city’s lawyer spent a lot of time going through dictionary and encyclopedia definitions: paras 12-20. Justice Bielby concluded an electronic parking meter was functionally a mechanism that qualified. Murray also argued the bylaw had an inadequate preamble (!?) (para. 30), which was rejected as those are optional in legislation (paras 31-32). His application for a stay of ticketing for expired electronic meters was rejected (para. 33) and Cindy was ordered to pay her $25 penalty within 14 days.

This obviously tells us nothing useful about Murray’s anti-tax stance, but it certainly offers a window into his ‘litigation strategies’ and perspective on government actors.

I have also identified a number of older decisions that do not appear to be available on free public services that could involve Gauvreau. The earliest is R. v. Gauvreau, [1988] A.J. No. 1360 (Alta. Prov. Ct.), and is a criminal action against a “Gavreau” or “Gauvreau” who had refused to answer certain Canada Census questions. The court found Gauvreau innocent as the questions related to activities that fell outside the strict boundaries of census information. This was an unwarranted search and seizure under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Other information sources (see below) indicate this lawsuit did not involve Murray but instead the “Gauvreau” was his brother, Gary.

In 1995 Murray Gauvreau was the defendant in an unreported Grande Prairie Queen’s Bench lawsuit, R. v. Gauvreau, docket 9404-0009S20101. It appears this was Murray being tried for failing to file tax returns – we’ll return to that in a bit.

Chronologically Murray next potential involvement is in St-Laurent v. Canada, [1995] T.C.J. No. 809. In this litigation St-Laurent either failed to file tax returns or filed inaccurate tax returns in 1985-1988. St-Laurent stated he was an osteopath and "natural products" salesman: para. 1. (That certainly is a pattern, isn’t it?). The failure to file was allegedly tax evasion, the incorrect filings represented gross negligence: para. 7. St-Laurent disputed many of the alleged facts: para. 8.

An interesting but peripheral twist is that St-Laurent claimed significant costs resulted from a “personal investigation”, which involved a dispute over an anti-pollution carburetor system and “an ampere-inverter system” invented by a Vietnamese engineer. St-Laurant has a complicated tale as how the related patents were stolen from him: paras 10-19.

St-Laurent also had a legal argument:
29 The appellant filed the following documents with the Court:
  • (1) three articles published in the August and September 1993 issue of the newspaper "Vers Demain":
    • (1) "L'impôt fédéral sur le revenu, inconstitutionnel" by Murray Gauvreau;

(2) "Les banquiers internationaux dominent le globe terrestre" by Rolland Tessier;

(3) "La Bête de l'Apocalypse : 666" by Gilberte Côté-Mercier;
    (2)a work published in March 1972 entitled "Doit-on me fusiller" by R. Rogers Smith;

(3) a judgment rendered by the Supreme Court of Canada in Attorney General of Nova Scotia (appellant) and Attorney General of Canada (respondent) and Lord Nelson Hotel Company Limited (intervener), S.C.R., 1951, pp. 31 ff.
The three articles from “Vers Demain” (“To Tomorrow”) duplicate in part the table of contents of the 1994 “Michael Journal” issue identified above, so I think we’re perhaps looking at the same source. The third item is the Supreme Court of Canada case identified by Murray in the paper cited above – so we’re definitely seeing an attempt to use Murray’s tax denial technique.

St-Laurent also makes the neat argument that since osteopathy is not a recognized medical discipline any income he made from that can’t be taxable. That’s rejected by the court as even income from illegal activity is still income: para 34. St-Laurent’s attempt to claim his cigarette costs as an expense were also rejected: para 36.

The Gauvreau 'tax is illegal argument' is rejected because Murray has mis-stated the actual meaning of that case.
38 This issue was settled definitively by the British Privy Council in 1924, confirming the Supreme Court of Canada which had confirmed a judgment of the Exchequer Court (4.02(2)1)).

39 The fundamental argument is that subsection 91(3) of the Constitution gives the Government of Canada the power to collect monies by any mode or system of taxation.

40 Consequently, the Income Tax Act's constitutionality may not be doubted.

41 In the decision rendered by the Supreme Court of Canada in Attorney General of Nova Scotia (4.02(1)(3)) referred to by the appellant, the point at issue was whether a mutual delegation of powers between the federal government and certain Maritime provinces was constitutional. The Court concluded that it was not, stating that such a practice would render useless the division of powers provided in sections 91 and 92 of the Constitution.

42 That decision is therefore not relevant in the instant case.

43 4.06 The Court also considered the other documents filed by the appellant (4.02(1)(2)). It concludes that they are not relevant to the years in issue.
St-Laurent was found guilty of tax evasion for 1985-1987. There is no indication in this case that Gauvreau was personally involved in any way. It may be St-Laurant simply attempted to use Gauvreau’s arguments that he had extracted from documentary sources, and nothing more.

The next occasion where Gauvreau appears is R. v. Strang (1997), 207 A.R. 72, 53 Alta. L.R. (3d) 100 (Alta. Q.B.). In 1992 Stang failed to file an income tax return, which led to a 1996 conviction and fine of $2500 or 4 months in jail.

Stang now appealed that result on three grounds (para 4):
1. The federal Income Tax Act is ultra vires the federal government under sections 91 and 92 of the Constitution Act of Canada, 1982, and is thus unconstitutional, and

2. The charge and the demand made upon the Appellant are both made under the wrong section of the Income Tax Act, and should have been made under section 150(2) of the Act. This is because there was no proof tendered at the trial of an ongoing investigation into the tax liability of a person or persons. The Appellant argues that such an investigation is a prerequisite to the making of a demand under Section 231.2(1), but would not be a prerequisite to a demand made under section 150(2). The failure to prove the existence of an investigation as an element of the offence under Section 231.2(1) is fatal to the conviction, and

3. Assuming that there is a requirement under the Income Tax Act that the Appellant file an Individual Income Tax Return, and that proper demand was made for this information, the document filed on June 30, 1994 qualifies as a tax return on the basis of the evidence because there is no provision within the Act which defines what constitutes a "completed" tax return.
The first issue is disposed of very briefly by reference to that unpublished 1995 Murray Gauvreau decision mentioned above (para 6):
On argument number one, the argument was that the Income Tax Act and any action taken by Revenue Canada and the Department of National Revenue under the Act are unconstitutional. Although this argument was raised in the Appellant's Notice of Appeal, it was abandoned by counsel in oral argument. While it is therefore not necessary to respond to this argument, had it been necessary, I would have upheld the trial judge's application of Mr. Justice Cooke's decision in Her Majesty the Queen v. Murray Gavreau (19 June 1995), Grande Prairie 9404-0009S20101 (Alta. Q.B.), wherein Cooke, J. states, at p. 6:
I am bound by the decision in Caron v. The King and a long line of similar authorities including, Winterhaven Stables Ltd. v. A.G. (1988), 53 D.L.R. (4th) 413 and Re GST (1992), 138 N.R. 247. These authorities recognize the power of the Federal Government to impose direct taxes.
We won’t worry about the second issue. The third one is fun; Stang sent in a nonsense return, and argued that satisfied his Income Tax Act obligations!
16 In response to the demand served on the Appellant on June 3, 1994, a unsigned typewritten T-1 form of the return was filed with Revenue Canada in the Appellant's name. The evidence before the trial judge included, inter alia, the following answers by the Appellant to questions included in the return in question:
  • Line Question - Appellant's Answer
    10 Commissions - I WISH
    10 Other employment income - NOT A WAITER
    11 Old Age Security pension - NOT THAT OLD
    11 Canada or Quebec Pension Plan benefits - LIKEWISE
    12 Interest and other investment income - CAN'T AFFORD
    12 Partnership income - NO PARTNERS
    12 Net - FROM WHAT
    12 Alimony or separation allowance income - CAN'T PAY
    12 Registered retirement savings plan income - CAN'T AFFORD THOSE
    13 Other income - WHAT OTHER INCOME?
    14 Workers' Compensation payments - WHY PAY FOR NO COMPENSATION?
    14 Social assistance payments - ALL ASSISTANCE WELCOME
    14 Net federal supplements - DREAM ON
    15 Total income - NO BEADS ON ABACUS
    15 Disability benefits - NONSENSE
    16 Business income - Gross - MY BUSINESS, NOT YOURS
    16 Professional income - Gross - NOT A PROFESSIONAL
    16 Farming income - Gross - NOT A FARMER, IF SO, LESS THAN ZERO
    17 Fishing income - Gross - NOT A FISHERMAN EITHER, SEE ABOVE
    26 Taxable income - HARD DRIVE NOT HARD ENOUGH
    30 Basic personal amount - I THINK I'M WORTH MORE
    30 Age amount - NOT THAT OLD YET
    30 Married amount - n/a
    30 Amount for dependent children - n/a
    30 Additional personal amounts - AMOUNTS OF WHAT?
    30 Canada or Quebec Pension Plan - JUST ABOUT BANKRUPT
    31 Contributions payable on self-employment earnings - CONTRIBUTE TO REV. CAN BENEVOLENT FUND?
    31 Unemployment Insurance premiums - NON-CONTRIBUTOR
    31 Pension income amount - NO PENSION
    31 Disability amount - NO DISABILITY
    31 Disability amount transferred from a dependent other than your spouse - WHAT???
    32 Tuition fees - KNOW LOTS
    32 Education amount - PREVIOUSLY EDUCATED
    32 Tuition fees and education amount transferred from a child - DON'T TAKE MONEY FROM KIDS
    32 Amounts transferred from your spouse - AMOUNTS OF WHAT?
    33 Medical expenses - NO MEDICINE
    33 Allowable portion of medical expense - n/a
    33 Total of 300 - 326 - TRY CRYSTAL BALL
    33 Multiply 335 by 17% - 17% of CRYSTAL BALL
    34 Charitable donations - CAN'T AFFORD DONATIONS
    34 Gifts to Canada or a province - GIVE ME SOMETHING FOR A CHANGE
    34 Total donations - WHAT IS ZERO PLUS ZERO
    34 Enter amount from line 344 - SEE ABOVE
    34 Multiply that amount by 17% - 17% OF ABOVE
    34 Subtract line 345 from 344 x 29% - SEE ABOVE 29 PER CENT
    35 Total non-refundable tax credits - GUESS WORK
In response to Revenue Canada's demand for a Statement of all Assets and Liabilities and a Statement of all Income and Expenses, the Appellant states:
  • ASSETS: NEGLIGIBLE; ... MORTGAGED UP PAST THE HIGH WATER MARK ON MY STANFIELD'S. MAY NEVER SEE DAYLIGHT AGAIN.
    LIABILITIES: VIRTUALLY LIMITLESS; ... CPI TOO HIGH RETAIL INFLATION TOO HIGH, (WHO CAN BUY AT WHOLESALE LEVEL? ... I CAN'T)!! TOO MANY TAXES.

INCOME: NOT ENOUGH ... NOT EVEN HALF ENOUGH! REQUIRE MINIMUM 48 HOUR DAYS. HAVE PARLIAMENT MAKE APPROPRIATE LEGISLATION.

EXPENSES: TOO MANY ... (TOO NUMEROUS TO MENTION) TOO MUCH ... (CAN'T AFFORD MOST) NOT FAR ENOUGH APART ... (GET NEW ONES BEFORE OLD ONES ARE GONE).
Justice Fraser concludes this does not satisfy the requirements to file a tax return (para 18):
I do not agree with the Appellant's argument that the finding of the trial judge is contrary to the evidence which was put before him, and was thus an error in law. I have no difficulty finding that the Appellant's use of words such as "ZILCH", "ZERO", "n/a", "NIX", and "NIL" in response to some of the questions on his return are adequate answers of sufficient clarity to the questions involved. However, other answers, such as "FROM WHAT", "MY BUSINESS, NOT YOURS", "NO BEADS ON ABACUS", and "TRY CRYSTAL BALL" do not answer the question asked. As a result, all of the Appellant's answers taken together do not provide Revenue Canada with enough information to assess the Appellant's income. Although there may be no definition of a "complete" T-1 Form in the Income Tax Act, logic indicates that the purpose for filling out an Individual Income Tax Return is to provide Revenue Canada with information adequate to permit it to determine an individual's tax liability. If information is not provided to Revenue Canada in a tax return as required by the return, or which is otherwise adequate to permit an assessment to be made, then the tax return provided will not in law constitute a return. The information provided by the accused was not adequate for this purpose. The trial judge was therefore correct in my view in holding that the Appellant did not file a completed tax return as required by the demand. That view does not however answer the Appellant's argument which was that the Income Tax Act did not require him to file a "completed return".
Interestingly, this is also an issue that came up at the 1995 R. v. Murray Gauvreau Grande Prairie decision (para 17):
The trial judge reached the conclusion "that the tax return submitted by the Appellant did not qualify as a tax return at all as it was completely incapable of being assessed". I agree with that opinion. I do so on the basis of agreement with the opinion of Mr. Justice Cooke in Gavreau that "The information contemplated by [Section 231.2] must simply be of sufficient clarity and completeness that the Department can develop a Notice of Assessment".
This hints that Murray also used the ‘fill in any old nonsense’ approach to evade his tax obligation.

The reference by Justice Fraser to the 1995 Gauvreau reasons suggests that it exists in some documentary form, somewhere, but where? I don’t know. It’s a point on which I will continue to do some more research.

So, in brief, it appears that the Murray Gauvreau anti-tax scheme has two parts:
  • 1) cite Attorney General of Nova Scotia v. Attorney General of Canada, [1951] S.C.R. 31 (http://canlii.ca/t/22rw9) as an authority that the Federal government of Canada has no authority to administer income tax, and

2) file nonsense income tax returns.
I’ve scrutinized that Supreme Court of Canada case – though Gauvreau identifies this as the “Lord Nelson Hotel” case, that party was an intervener. The proceeding was a reference question from Nova Scotia on whether the Federal government could delegate the authority that would permit Nova Scotia to put in place an indirect sales tax. Answer – no. The original British North America Act split taxation authority via ss. 91-92, and the only way to transfer the exclusive Federal indirect tax authority to the provinces is to amend the constitution (BNA Act).

This is one of those awful UK-style appellate judgments where each of the judges feels it’s necessary to make their own decision, leaving the reader to sometimes wonder just what the heck the message is. (Canada’s appellate courts quit doing that a few years ago – a blessing to all humanity.) I’ve reread this horrible and turgid bit of jurisprudence a few times, trying to sift out any passage that would be misconstrued to mean not only that the Federal government cannot transfer to a province its indirect tax authority, but that the Federal government never had an income tax jurisdiction at all. And I just don’t see it. This is a horrible, wordy, pompous, gratuitously lengthy piece of writing – but it just doesn’t say anything like that.

So how did this scheme ever get off the ground? It makes no sense that a Supreme Court of Canada decision that said “no income tax” would linger, undiscovered, for 40 years? It’s just weird anyone would find that explanation makes any sense at all. So – my only very weak explanation is that when Gauvreau was active there really was nowhere near the current access to legal information, even such basic things as a Supreme Court of Canada judgment. People might believe because they could not easily check out the accuracy of an apparently preposterous claim.

So that’s the legal side of Murray Gauvreau and his activities. Not much of a footprint. Attempts to learn more about him and his activities were generally unsuccessful. There are numerous reports that Gauvreau had links to white supremacist/racist groups, particularly an entity called the “Canadian League of Rights” (http://www.mediacoop.ca/story/3105) (http://onepeoplesproject.com/index.php/ ... e-deceased) (http://memebee.com/vancouver/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23843). The most detailed review of that organization appears here, in a review by David Lethbridge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lethbridge), a psychology professor and head of the Bethune Institute: http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/44/087.html

Gauvreau is also linked with Paul Fromm’s “Alternative Forum”, also known as a forum for racist beliefs (http://www.canadianfreespeech.com/cafe/ ... s?start=18).

There is only one other source I have identified that offers more insight into Murray Gauvreau, his history, beliefs, and litigation. A now long defunct weekly news magazine, “Alberta Report”, published a series of articles in 1993-1994 which appear to track Gauvreau’s income tax litigation. At this point I think it’s only appropriate to put in a colossal thanks to my local public librarians to whom I turned to try to find excerpts from this obscure publication. They delivered, after only a minimum of grumbling about “How are we going to get ahold of a regional publication from Alberta over here? And do you know how many times this stupid magazine changed its name?”

Rather than have anyone else go through the struggle of locating this material, I’ll reproduce it in full:

Alberta Report, 1993, Vol. 20, Issue 47, pp. 24-25
Taking on 76 years of taxation
Ottawa tangles with an Albertan who hasn’t paid up for 15 yea
rs

In 1978, small businessman Murray Gauvreau concluded that federal income taxes are unconstitutional. Since then, the resident of Grovedale, just outside of Grande Prairie, has sent his tax return directly to Ottawa’s “Minister of Extortion” – without revealing how much he’s earned or paying anything. “I just give ‘em more legal verbiage. That’s all they have a right to,” declares Mr. Gauvreau. “I’ve been daring them to take me to court for 15 years now.”

Mr. Gauvreau is finally getting his wish. On October 13, he entered a not guilty plea in Grande Prairie provincial court on two counts of failing to file a tax return.

Victoria lawyer Doug Christie, who defended both Jim Keegstra and Ernst Zundel on hate charges, is handling the case. Mr. Christie says he’ll likely pursue Mr. Gauvreau’s contention that federal income taxation is unconstitutional. “I don’t generally discuss my plans before the trial,” the lawyer comments. “I’ll just say that the BNA Act gives power of indirect taxation to the feds, and direct taxation only to the provinces.” Some question whether courts would even consider a defence that, if successful, could mean dismantling the entire federal revenue structure. “The may not like it,” counters Mr. Christie, “but they’ll have to hear it.”

Mr. Gauvreau says Mr. Christie is happy to take the case. “He wouldn’t tell me what he was going to do either,” he chuckles. “But then I showed him my materials, he just laughed and said “We’re going to have fun on this one.”

According to Mr. Gauvreau, the 1917 War Income Tax Act, which first granted Ottawa income tax powers, had a “sunset clause” limiting it to two years. Nevertheless, the government kept on collecting income taxes without legal authority until the 1941 Tax Rental Agreement between Ottawa and the provinces “redistributed” some direct taxation powers to the federal government. But in 1950, the Supreme Court of Canada rules unanimously that Ottawa and the provinces cannot simply trade constitutional powers back and forth. Mr. Gauvreau says that decision was simply ignored. “We’ve been duped,” he insists. “Canadians always assumed their government obeys its own law. They’re just staring to realize it doesn’t.”

Over the last decade, anti-government crusading has become a consuming passion for Mr. Gauvreau’s family. Brother Gary, a Ponoka-area service station operator, waged a two-year battle with Statistics Canada in the late 1980’s before winning the right to ignore census questions that go beyond simple head counting. In 1991, Gary’s wife Myra began deducting the GST from her utility bill payments and refusing to collect it on her video store’s sales. Three other Gauvreau brothers in the Peace River area have also taken part in tax protests.

“We’ve spoken to over 400 meeting across the country, over 50,000 people,” Murray Gauvreau says. “And we’re publishing a newsletter now called Let’s Take our CountryBack. But we’ve got to do more. We’ve got to be prepared to go to jail, if that’s what it takes to fight an illegal government.”

Mr. Gauvreau believes Canada’s fundamental problem is an excessive faith in government. Over time, that has led citizens to accept the state’s claim that it really is the country. “So now we’ve got complete consolidation of power in the hands of politicians,” he laments. “And you know how the dictionary defines a politician: ‘Someone who holds office for his own gain.’ It’s got to stop. We need to stand up against illegal government. Our grandfathers did.”
-Joe Woodard
Alberta Report, 1994, Vol. 21, Issue 11, p. 43
Tax challenge goes to court

Murray Gauvreau of Grande Prairie was in court two weeks ago to defend his argument that federal income tax is unconstitutional (“Taking on 76 years of taxation,” Nov. 8, 1993). The self-employed businessman faces two charges of failing to file income tax returns. Mr. Gauvreau, who is defended by Victoria lawyer Doug Christie, could receive a fine between $1,000 and $25,000 on each charge.
Alberta Report, 1994, Vol. 21, Issue 26, p. 51
Revenue Canada still rules

Murray Gauvreau of Grovedale, near Grande Prairie, lost his bid to have federal income tax declared unconstitutional. Judge A.P. Demong last week fined Mr. Gauvreau $1,000 per year for failing to file tax returns in 1990 and 1991 ( “Taking on 76 years of taxation,” Nov. 8, 1993). The tax-fighter had sent in returns covered with sardonic remarks but no information on his return.
These reports seem to relate to Gauvreau’s initial and unreported Provincial Court trial. Alberta Report does not provide any parallel reporting on Murray's subsequent 1995 appeal in Queen’s Bench. The scheme explained in the Gauvreau Alberta Report interview does appear different from the available reported case law, but not in any legally meaningful way. For example, whether or not the original Canadian tax provisions had a sunset clause is irrelevant provided subsequent legislation was constitutionally valid.

So that’s what I have identified to date. Gauvreau’s scheme is, frankly, crude and artificial. His legal argument is nothing more than a total misreading of a (less than erudite) Supreme Court of Canada decision. His alternative approach of filling out income tax returns with gibberish is an obvious attempt bypass his legal requirements to file returns in a frivolous manner.

I have occasionally encountered ‘echos’ of Gauvreau’s scheme in more recent OPCA litigation and citation of Attorney General of Nova Scotia v. Attorney General of Canada, [1951] S.C.R. 31. I think it’s fair to say that if this legislation is cited as the “Lord Nelson Hotel” case then that we can assume Gauvreau’s ideas were at least a contributing influence.

My research did not identify any activity by Gauvreau post 2000. It will be interesting to see if Gauvreau re-emerges given his brother, Glenn of Fearn’s, ongoing litigation.

SMS Möwe
That’s you and your crew, Mr. Hilfskreuzer. You’re just like a vampire, you must feel quite good about while the blood is dripping down from your lips onto the page or the typing, uhm keyboard there... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNMoUnUiDqg at 11:25]
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Re: Murray Gauvreau - pre-Detaxer

Post by notorial dissent »

Not being in the least familiar with the BNA I’m curious as to the interpretation that Gauvreau is basing his fantasy on. What does it actually say as opposed to what he claims it says?
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

You've triggered some memories with that one Mowe! Takes me back to my working days in Vancouver CRA when the Detaxers were actually a significant problem for our auditors. But you left out my favorite, a local boy, Kenneth Robert McMordie, aka Byron Fox, aka Byrun Fox, aka Byron Foxx, aka As Byrun Foxx. He was a big name here and was a hero to the entire Detax movement when he actually won an acquittal from a charge of failing to file Income Tax returns! They went nuts with comments like;

Truthferry

The prosecution failed to show that Byron was carrying on business at the time of trial and dismissed the charges for want of jurisdiction in accordance with s 244(3) of the of the ITA (Sorenson fantasy versiononly).

Section 244(3) of the Sorenson fantasy version of the ITA, published by SORDID SORENSON FANTASY AND FAIRYTALE PUBLISHING INC, of no fixed address, reads as follows: Everyone who is not carrying on some form of business at the date of the trial to hear charges for failing to comply with a demand under section 231.2.1 of the ITA (actual version) is immune from prosecution for want of jurisdiction.

This provision was upheld by the SORENSON SUPERIOR KANGAROO APPELATE COURT in room 101 of the Eric Martin institute for retards with the honorable Mrs Sorenson (mom) presiding. This ruling has thrown the administration of the ITA (actual version) into disarray.

P.S for everyone else I will get the real details later.

Truthferry

My limited inquiries about this case have revealed that Byron Fox was initially getting slaughtered in court. The judge was arbitrarily refusing to hear evidence, call witnesses, and was maliciously sabotaging Byron's case in many other ways.

Byron was then permitted to make a written submission of his arguments, upon which the judge cited a "grave error by the prosecution" as his reason for dismissing the charges.
So what was this "grave error" that allowed Byron to walk? There is no argument that there had indeed a major blunder. Byron had been charged with failing to provide the demanded income tax returns within a specified time period. To quote from the appeals decision;

COUNT 1:

Kenneth R. McMordie, Also Known As Byron Fox, Also Known As Byrun Fox, Also Known As Byron Foxx, Also Known As Byrun Foxx in the City of New Westminster in the Province of British Columbia, unlawfully failed to comply with the notice in a personally served letter dated the 10th day of November 1999 made upon him pursuant to paragraph 231.2(1)(a) of the Income Tax Act in that he did not provide to the Minister of National Revenue at Surrey, British Columbia, between the 15th day of November 1999 and the 15th day of January 2000 a Completed and signed Individual income Tax Return on form T1 for Taxation Year 1997 including a statement of Income and Expenses for each business activity carried on during the year, required from him contrary to subsection 238(1) of the Income Tax Act, R.S.C. 1985, c.I (5th Supp.) as amended. (Emphasis added)
http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcca/doc/20 ... RpZQAAAAAB

Specifically the court order Fox was charged with disobeying was that he had been required to file the returns within 60 days of November 15th 1999. The trial level judge, more in sorrow than anger, pointed out that the morons representing themselves to be competent Crown Counsel were incapable of counting to 60. They had entered evidence proving that Fox had not filed the required returns by midnight, January 14th, 2000, but this was only 59 days. The 60 day period ended at midnight January 15th and the Crown had entered no evidence in respect to January 15th. Since there was no evidence entered in court to show that Byron had not filed on January 15th the judge let him off. Even if Byron had only won on a technicality the Detaxers had a good laugh at the stupidity of the Crown in screwing up by one day!

Except that the Crown hadn't screwed up, the judge did. The 60 day period had expired at midnight on January 14th as claimed by the Crown and the judge was the one incapable of counting days on a calendar once he ran out of fingers and toes. So the Crown trotted off to the Appeals court with (I assume) a calendar with a big 1 written over the square for November 16th, 1999, a 2 on the square for November 17th and so on until the 60th square on January 14th, 2000. To quote from the decision of the Court of Appeal of British Columbia;
The offence was proved once the provincial court judge was convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that with respect to each count on the Information the accused had not provided the necessary by and including January 14th of 2000. That flows from the relevant requirement being that the material be produced within sixty days of what proved to be November 15th, 1999. November 15th does not count toward sixty days and January 14th, 2000, is the last of the sixty days that did count. All of this is the net result of: Income Tax Act section 238(1); section 231.2(1); what appeared on the face of the relevant requirement itself; section 231.2(1) of the Income Tax Act; and the proper calculation of the sixty days within which the material had to be provided where the relevant requirement was served as noted above, on November 15th, 1999.

The trial court judge acquitted the accused because he concluded that the offence was not established absent proof of failure by the accused to provide what was demanded by the end of January 15th. That was a wrong conclusion by the provincial court judge. Once the bell tolled midnight on January 14th, 2000, the offence was complete. It is obvious that the trial court judge was in fact convinced beyond a reasonable doubt of each element of the offence and in law the accused had to be convicted on each count.[paras. 7-9]
Well Byron, not in any way deterred, appealed from this. He listed grave injustices, not the least of which was that nobody would listen to him;
[7] In support of his application for leave, the appellant asserted 1) the summary conviction appeal judge failed to consider his written submissions 2) the summary conviction appeal judge failed to consider his arguments about grammar used in legislation 3) that he has a counterclaim that makes the judgment of Stewart J. a miscarriage of justice and 4) that the Income Tax Department is not disclosing approximately 15,000 documents which they have collected on him, and such non-disclosure amounts to an abuse of process based on selective prosecution.

[10] The appellant points to para. 4 of the summary conviction appeal judge’s judgment as proof of his first point that the judge failed to consider his argument. That paragraph reads:

The Crown's statement of argument filed February 15th, '01 complies with sub-rules 14 and following of Rule 6 of the Rules of this court. On March the 12th '01 the Respondent filed a thick book. Whatever it is, it proved upon the briefest inspection to be other than what is demanded by the Rules of this court noted above.
The appeal court disposed of this argument in short order
[11] The appellant has ignored the judge’s later comments about reserving judgment to reconsider the material once more. Furthermore, I have had the chance to go through the document referred to and I have made more than a brief inspection of it. I attach, as Appendix “A”, some sample pages. In my view, it is totally unintelligible. Even the shortest of sentences are incomprehensible.

[12] The appellant’s first ground of appeal therefore has no prospect of success. For the same reasons, the second ground of appeal has no prospect of success either.
I read this decision back when it came out and tried to read the sample pages appended to it. Total gibberish. Not even compete coherent sentences. Just nonsense about "colour of law" and admiralty courts.

However Byron may have had a point about the court being biased against him. Apart from the fact that NOBODY WOULD LISTEN the appeals court had this to say;

[8] I think it is important to state at this point that the appellant is a member of a group known as “De-taxers”. The group advocates the non-filing of tax returns and non-payment of tax.

[9] It appears that the appellant and his friends are under the impression that because he is contesting the payment of taxes based on his “political beliefs” rather than “self-interest” he is somehow or other entitled to immunity and cannot be prosecuted. This is a very interesting notion, but wholly devoid of merit.
Clear corruption and bias. The court concluded;
[15] Here, there is no abuse of process. The appellant has been prosecuted, and rightly so, not unfairly so. Accordingly, leave to appeal is denied, and no stay of proceedings will be granted.
While I enjoyed reading these decisions at the time they were only a preamble to one of the funniest comedy films I've ever seen, and Byron played his part in it.

The background to the film is given in yet another decision. A Ms. Gibbs, an apparently not particularly bright woman, fell for the Detaxer spiel and stopped filing returns for her bookkeeping business. She got a 60 day requirement to file, failed, and ended up in court just like Fox. She had a lot of Detaxer arguments at trial (read the decision, it's great for showing the brain-damaged arguments these guys came up with). It's at;

http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcpc/doc/20 ... b24AAAAAAQ

Her main argument seemed to be that she was just too conscientious. She wanted to pay her tax but damn it, she just couldn't find a true copy of the Income Tax Act and without one she couldn't calculate her taxes owing. It wasn't for lack of trying. To quote from the Gibbs court decision;
[42] So at that point it seems that Ms. Gibbs in particular had accepted from McMordie that there was no requirement to comply with the provisions of the Income Tax Act unless what in her view amounted to an officially certified copy of the Act could be produced. She said she made inquiries of the local tax departments in Vancouver. They were unable to produce one to her satisfaction. She went to Ottawa and went to the National Library of Canada and couldn't find such a copy. She said that she tried to get access to the Parliamentary Library but could not get access because it was only open to Members of Parliament or people who had specific permission from a Member of Parliament. She says that she has made inquiries, and other people with whom she works have made inquiries, to get copies of what they describe as an officially certified copy of the Income Tax Act to no effect. She describes how she's consulted the Department of Justice website, said that prior to the year 2000 there was no copy of the Income Tax Act on that site. She says that since the year 2000 there is, but it is an unofficial version and contains a disclaimer, I take it similar to that in the CCH version, or for example in the Stikeman version.

[43] Her evidence is that all her efforts have been to find such an Act because she must be satisfied as to what the law is in order to then be able to comply with the law, and in the absence of such a document she says that she's unable to comply with the law because she doesn't know what it is. She as well says that all of her efforts to get further information to assist her in complying with the law such as having the tax officials complete the Public Servants Questionnaire or comply with the Demand for Information which, as I say is set out in her letter of November of 1998, has all thwarted her efforts to comply with the law. She says accordingly then that she has exercised due diligence and the court should be satisfied at least on a balance of probabilities that she has done so.
Unfortunately after all her efforts, the judge didn't buy it and rubbed her nose in Bryon's prior loss where he had argued the exact same issue;
[44] Dealing firstly with the issue of the Income Tax Act, it seems to me that this issue has been dealt with by courts in slightly different applications but nonetheless the issue is still the same. It's been dealt with myself in earlier applications wherein they sought production of the Act. The issue was before Madam Justice MacKenzie of the Supreme Court of British Columbia in February of 2001, in the case of Her Majesty the Queen against Kenneth McMordie, also known as Byron Fox. He was the same gentleman who appeared and gave evidence before me in this case. This bears the New Westminster Supreme Court Registry number XO58621.

[45] In that case, Mr. McMordie by notice of motion was seeking access to an officially certified copy of the Income Tax Act which he said he required in order to make full answer and defence. At paragraph 7 of that decision, Madam Justice MacKenzie said that there was no such requirement for a true and certified copy of the Income Tax Act to be produced and that as a result there was no prejudice to Mr. McMordie's right to make full answer and defence. She felt she was bound by the decision of Tysoe J. in R. v. Holly Bruno, July 26th, 2001, New Westminster Registry XO58115, a decision of the B.C. Supreme Court. In that case where Ms. Bruno had also argued for the disclosure of what's described as the original Income Tax Act, which I take would also mean an officially certified copy of the Income Tax Act that Tysoe J. had concluded at paragraph 7, and I quote:

The second argument is essentially that the original of the Income Tax Act has not been produced to Ms. Bruno. I am satisfied that the laws of the country are contained in the 1985 Revised Statutes of Canada, as amended from time to time thereafter. Those statutes were available to Ms. Bruno. She has been convicted pursuant to that statute and the conviction is valid.

And he dismissed her appeal. At paragraph 7 in McMordie, Madam Justice MacKenzie goes on to say:

I am not persuaded on the material and the arguments before me that Mr. McMordie would be infringing copyright laws by photocopying the 1985 Revised Statues of Canada Income Tax Act for court purposes.

She goes on then to dismiss that aspect of his application.

[46] In the evidence before me, indeed I am satisfied that, well, firstly that I would be bound by Mr. Justice Tysoe, and secondly, I am satisfied that his characterization of the existence of the Income Tax Act in Canada is in fact correct. On information which has been argued before me, including letters from the Law Clerk of the Senate, I am satisfied that indeed the task may be cumbersome but can be done, that one can ascertain the Income Tax Act of Canada by reference to the 1985 Revised Statutes of Canada, the Income Tax Act, and then following through the years thereafter all of the amendments which have been made from time to time to that Statute. The fact that it cannot be produced in a compilation officially certified in my view does not raise an issue as to whether or not it exists.
However, on to the film! The decision gives the bare bones of the plot of our Academy Award worthy documentary;
[24] A meeting was set up to meet with Ms. Gibbs and Ms. Enman on September the 29th of 1998, and I'm satisfied that the various requirement letters were already prepared, and indeed apparently had been prepared as early as August the 17th, 1998, for service on Ms. Gibbs and Ms. Enman both in their individual capacities for the tax years 1996 and 1997, and as well to be served on Ms. Gibbs and Ms. Enman in their capacity as directors for the Count On Us Bookkeeping Services Inc. for the taxation years 1996 and 1997, and that when Mr. Haymer and Mr. Amissah prepared and agreed to meet with Ms. Gibbs and Ms. Enman on September the 29th of 1998, it was indeed part of their intent to serve those documents on them.

[25] When the two men attended, they were initially met by Ms. Enman at the door. I've heard some evidence as to what happened at the door, and Ms. Enman's evidence that she was brushed aside, but it seems clear to me from her evidence that as well upon seeing them the issue of them being required to, that is Haymer and Amissah being required to answer certain questions or complete certain questionnaires was brought up almost immediately. Suffice it to say that both Mr. Haymer and Mr. Amissah entered into the house at 3535 East 45th Avenue and sat down in the living room. Ms. Gibbs came in and then Mr. Haymer opened up his briefcase and produced the requirement notices whereupon Ms. Enman called to a number of other people who she had asked to come and be present for this meeting.

[26] The number of others is not exactly sure, but I'm satisfied there were at least three others in addition to Ms. Enman and Ms. Gibbs. One of those other men was a man named Stan Cayer, who had with him a video camera, and in fact in preparation for the meeting he had put a remote, I believe it's a remote microphone on to Ms. Enman so as to be able to record her conversations, audio conversations at least with Mr. Haymer and Mr. Amissah.

[27] It's clear that once the witnesses were called into the living room that Mr. Cayer came in and began to record the events with his video camera. That brought the meeting to an almost immediate halt. Mr. Haymer said they were leaving and there was some discussion back and forth about them staying so that people could get answers, but the answers it seems to me clearly are answers that related to this Public Servant Questionnaire and were not answers related to any matters of direct fact relevant to the filing of the income tax returns. They left, and at one point there was a shoving incident between Haymer and Cayer. I heard evidence regarding various people's opinions as to whether it was an assault or not. It is not for me in this trial to make a judgment on that. It's clear that tempers were heated at that meeting.

[28] Haymer and Amissah then left. The notices which they had served on Ms. Gibbs and Ms. Enman are shown in Exhibit 1, tabs 1 and 2, and tabs 5 and 6. In essence, they require of both her as an individual to file within 60 days of the date of service income tax returns for the taxation years 1996 and 1997, as well as on behalf of the corporate entity, Count On Us Bookkeeping Services Inc., corporate income tax returns for 1996 and 1997. I am satisfied that no such returns were filed within the 60 day period as demanded.
"Amissah" was Robert Ammisah, a Vancouver CRA auditor. "Haymer" was Steve Hamer, Ammisah's team leader. I knew them both. Hamer was there because we had a policy that any meeting with a Detaxer required that there be at least two CRA employees so there was at least one witness. Gibbs had agreed to meet Amissah at her house to discuss her tax problems. However what they actually faced was a Detaxer ambush. There was a gang of about half a dozen of them, including Fox, hiding in the kitchen with a video recorder. They actually looked a pretty pathetic bunch. Your standard unemployable unmarriageable basement dwellers.

When Ammisah and Hamer came in the house the troglodytes were lurking in the kitchen hopping up and down with excitement and filming themselves while the audio picked up the action from the living room. Gibbs demanded that Amissah fill out a huge Detax questionnaire filled with questions, some actually impossible to answer (see the decision for details on the form). He of course refused and when he did our lurking freedom squad bust out of hiding and started yammering Detax nonsense at the two CRA employees. Hamer immediately called the meeting over and they left but the Detaxers blocked them from getting to their car. The video shows Ammisah and Hamer in the front yard asking the gibbering morons to stand aside and them refusing. So Hamer pushed through them, just brushed them aside, and he and Ammmisah drove off. This drove the Detaxers into a frenzy of excitement. "Did you see that? He assaulted me! He assaulted me!" "He touched Me! That's Assault!" "We have them on criminal charges". They looked like they were about to wet themselves with excitement.

How do I know all this? Our battered assault victims immediately took the incriminating tape to the local RCMP station and demanded that the Mounties press assault charges against the two vicious government thugs. The Mounties watched the film, had a good laugh, told the Detaxers to fuck off, and gave the film to the CRA. Realizing its entertainment potential the CRA used it as the centerpiece of an in-house Detaxer training session which was where I saw it.

Good times, good times . . . .

So what happened to Byron after these reversals. He decided to take a different path. Fraud.

to quote from the British Columbia Securities Commission decision on the scheme that Byron participated in;
3 Manna was a fraud invented and implemented by the respondents into which more than 800 investors deposited about US$16 million. They received as little as US$3 million, and no more than US$5.6 million, back. There is no apparent hope of recovering the rest.

4 Hal (Mick) Allan McLeod created the Manna scheme and, with David John Vaughan’s assistance, expanded it. The expansion became more aggressive when Kenneth Robert McMordie, who used the name Byrun Fox, and Rosiek joined the scheme later.

5 The Manna scheme’s form changed in minor ways and used various entities to perpetrate the fraud: Manna Trading Corp Ltd., the Manna Humanitarian Foundation, and the two Legacy entities, Legacy Capital Inc., and Legacy Trust Inc. All of these entities (which we refer to collectively as “Manna”) were in reality a single sham investment scheme which, in this decision, we refer to as the Manna scheme.

6 Manna induced investors to loan it money and told them that their funds would be placed with experienced traders who had a long history of producing double-digit monthly returns through foreign currency trading. Manna told investors that it had “an annualized trading history of profit returns not less than 20% per month (240% per year),” and that Manna’s profits enabled it to pay consistently high rates of return. Manna said it had historically paid returns to investors of 125.22% per year. Manna portrayed the investments as low-risk. It said the investments were “safe” and “secure” and that Manna was “continually mindful of capital preservation.”

7 Manna promised investors 7% monthly returns (later reduced to 5%), sometimes compounded. (A 7% monthly compounded return works out to 125.22% per year.) Investors who became “affiliates” or “consultants” could bring in new investors. When they did so, they earned a commission on the amount invested and a continuing share of the return on the new investment.

8 Some investors invested through a “private common law spiritual trust.” The trust was a mechanism Fox concocted ostensibly to avoid the application of tax and securities laws to investments in the Manna scheme.

9 All of these statements were misrepresentations. There is no evidence that Manna placed investors’ funds with foreign currency traders, or that the investors’ funds earned returns from any other source. Manna had no trading profits. No Manna investor experienced the historical returns Manna said investors did. Manna had no source of revenue other than investor contributions. The trust structure was a sham.

10 Manna also told investors that some of the returns Manna earned from its foreign exchange trading profits would be used for humanitarian causes. There is no evidence that any Manna funds went to humanitarian causes.

11 The reality is that Manna was a Ponzi scheme. Manna fraudulently used the investments of later investors to fund the promised returns to earlier investors, to pay commissions to the affiliates and consultants, to invest in an online gaming business, and to buy real estate in Costa Rica.

12 McLeod, Vaughan, Fox and Rosiek fraudulently used investors’ funds to enrich themselves.

13 This was a deliberate and well-organized fraud that resulted in the loss of at least US$10.4 million, and probably closer to US$13 million, by more than 800 investors in British Columbia and elsewhere.
The Commission ordered that;

McMordie/Fox
17. under section 161(1)(b), that McMordie, also known as Fox, cease trading permanently, and is prohibited permanently from purchasing, securities or exchange contracts;

18. under section 161(1)(d)(i), that McMordie, also known as Fox, resign any position he holds as a director or officer of an issuer, registrant or investment fund manager;

19. under section 161(1)(d)(ii), that McMordie, also known as Fox, is prohibited permanently from becoming or acting as a director or officer of any issuer, registrant or investment fund manager;

20. under section 161(1)(d)(iii), that McMordie, also known as Fox, is prohibited permanently from becoming or acting as a registrant, investment fund manager or promoter;

21. under section 161(1)(d)(iv), that McMordie, also known as Fox, is prohibited permanently from acting in a management or consultative capacity in connection with activities in the securities market;

22. under section 161(1)(d)(v), that McMordie, also known as Fox, is prohibited permanently from engaging in investor relations activities;

23. under section 161(1)(g), that McMordie, also known as Fox, pay to the Commission $16 million, being the amount obtained, directly or indirectly, as a result of his contraventions of the Act;

24. under section 162, that McMordie, also known as Fox, pay an administrative penalty of $6 million
http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcsec/doc/2 ... RpZQAAAAAB
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Fmotlgroupie
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Fmotlgroupie »

notorial dissent wrote:Not being in the least familiar with the BNA I’m curious as to the interpretation that Gauvreau is basing his fantasy on. What does it actually say as opposed to what he claims it says?
Federal taxation powers are one of the enumerated powers listed in section 91 (the section which describes the federal government's powers. Here's the direct quote, legalese and all:
3. The raising of Money by any Mode or System of Taxation.
Easy to see how people could get the impression that federal taxation power in Canada is very limited :brickwall:

Edit: ok, that isn't actually the whole story. The verbose part of section 91 (before the list of specific federal powers) seems to give the federal government jurisdiction over anything not specifically granted to the provinces, PLUS the listed federal powers, and the provinces are granted
2. Direct Taxation within the Province in order to the raising of a Revenue for Provincial Purposes.
in section 92, so if you read just the first half of section 91 and section 92 Gauvreau almost makes sense.

I read this now and see that it's almost unintelligible (3am here) so here's the original material:
91. It shall be lawful for the Queen, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate and House of Commons, to make Laws for the Peace, Order, and good Government of Canada, in relation to all Matters not coming within the Classes of Subjects by this Act assigned exclusively to the Legislatures of the Provinces; and for greater Certainty, but not so as to restrict the Generality of the foregoing Terms of this Section, it is hereby declared that (notwithstanding anything in this Act) the exclusive Legislative Authority of the Parliament of Canada extends to all Matters coming within the Classes of Subjects next hereinafter enumerated; that is to say,

. . .

The raising of Money by any Mode or System of Taxation.

92. In each Province the Legislature may exclusively make Laws in relation to Matters coming within the Classes of Subjects next hereinafter enumerated; that is to say,
Repealed. (48)
Direct Taxation within the Province in order to the raising of a Revenue for Provincial Purposes.
Last edited by Fmotlgroupie on Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fmotlgroupie

Post by Fmotlgroupie »

I wish there was a hall of fame function for Quatloos threads - what a great read of blasts from the past! Thanks to both of you (Mowe and Burnaby - I'm sure Murray et al don't need my encouragement!)
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

It is possible that Eldon Warman belongs in the “pre-Detaxer precursor” category. I don’t know a lot about Eldon’s early activity, though I understand his anti-government/tax activities may track back into the United States and the early 1990’s. Just as a general suggestion I think Quatloos could very much benefit from a historical review of Warman, perhaps another contributor might consider that as a thread subject?
I think that's an area that's guaranteed to be fruitful and it would be interesting to see if we can identify patient zero.

The time frames line up perfectly, we have the Canadian movements starting up at the same time that the Patriot/Sovereign movements get cracked down on in the States after Waco and the Oklahoma City Bombing. In the cases of Menard and Clifford we have established links to Montana and Minnesota sovereignty/white supremacist groups which makes geographical sense.

http://www.constitution.org/abus/gkahl/yorieappeal.html
Phillips was given $10,000.00 in cash by federal agents and moved to Canada prior to the trial following the shoot-out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Kahl

That's from 1982 and at that point we already had Posse Commitatus members moving to Canada where the probably spread their anti-tax theories.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/featur ... carey.html
Hucksters and charlatans prowled the Midwest as the farm crisis deepened, selling desperate farmers expensive seminars and prepackaged legal defenses “guaranteed” to cancel debts and forestall foreclosure.
My question to the Canadians here, is whether there was an equivalent farming crisis in Canada, maybe the same people pushing these scams in the US in the 80s, maybe there was some border hopping in order to get extra customers?
arayder
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by arayder »

Hilfskreuzer Möwe wrote:

SMS Möwe
It's not a new thread, but it's all accurate:

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum ... g1#7977778

Do we need a thread on Warman? He's toast.
Hilfskreuzer Möwe
Location: R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 26W 22 R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 2 [signal lost]

arayder wrote:Do we need a thread on Warman? He's toast.
Perhaps my perspective is different from other contributors to this forum, but I see information collection and analysis as having more than one purpose. It certainly is a valuable tool to challenge and debunk legally ineffective strategies that circulate in the public domain and are marketed on a commercial basis. In that sense, yes, Eldon Warman is of restricted relevance.

However, I personally am also very interested in the history and development of this phenomenon. One thing I have noticed is that one does not have to go back many years (sometimes even months) before resources of this kind evaporate. That is perhaps a little incongruous, as these ideas often have caused people to take very drastic steps in their lives. Perhaps my focus is unnecessarily academic, but I suspect we can learn about the patterns of ideas and social structures in which these very strange beliefs flow. Personally, I think that's both valuable and also simply interesting.

I don't think I'm alone in that perspective. "Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds" is over a century and half old, but it still offers much relevant to modern waves of peculiar belief. Perhaps I'm overly optimistic, but I would like to think that collection and analysis of information about fringe legal belief may someday prove a useful resource for other, larger investigations.

There's also a principle I'm stealing from the physical sciences: an excellent way to understand how an apparatus or lifeform operates is to watch it malfunction. Presuming, for a moment, that Sovereign / Freeman / etc beliefs are wrong, then studying how these 'wrong' memes operate and propagate may help us understand how to better design legal systems that are less prone to these 'infections'. And when an 'infection' occurs, how to minimize its effects.

Merely musings.

SMS Möwe
That’s you and your crew, Mr. Hilfskreuzer. You’re just like a vampire, you must feel quite good about while the blood is dripping down from your lips onto the page or the typing, uhm keyboard there... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNMoUnUiDqg at 11:25]
Hilfskreuzer Möwe

Jeffrey wrote:My question to the Canadians here, is whether there was an equivalent farming crisis in Canada, maybe the same people pushing these scams in the US in the 80s, maybe there was some border hopping in order to get extra customers?
Not really. Our agricultural activities have been the subject of much greater direct and indirect government control. I think it's safe to say, generally, that in Canada we do not see the same extremes of high and low economic activity. There are ups and downs, but I don't think those are nearly on the same scale as in the U.S.

I'd welcome others with a stronger economics background to comment on that.

There have been severe downturns in certain industries, a couple examples being the drastic reduction in the petroleum/oil industry in western Canada in the National Energy Program period, and the collapse of the east-coast fisheries due to stock depletion. These had powerful local economic effects, but I do not see them as being very related to any general emergence of interest in Sovereign/Freeman/OPCA type beliefs. I've not detected any correlation at all.

The two larger movements instead were based on quite different motives. The Detaxers were nothing more than tax cheats, and though no doubt some were driven to those techniques by financial stress, many if not most were just simply rip-off artists ready to bilk the state and their fellow citizens. The Freeman-on-the-Land movement's membership seems less concerned about "we can't pay" as "we don't want to pay and to hell with your rules, too". That movement has always had a very strong 'social protest', utopian component.

As a whole, Canadians have not 'disconnected' from their government to the same degree as has occurred in the U.S. Few Canadians see the state as a malevolent entity. Clumsy? Sure! Occasionally clueless? Absolutely! But we just don't have large-scale phenomena analogous to the Tea Party movement.

As something of an aside, I'm fascinated to see that at least some of the pre-Detaxers have built their schemes on a purely Canadian pseudolaw foundation. I didn't expect that. I'm used to so much imported American-style content, so it was rather refreshing to see some 'homegrown' eccentricities.

Again on a bit of a tangent, I suspect the earliest 'colonist' to go north into Canada was David-Wynn: Miller. There's a little cluster of Wynn: Millerist litigation in the early 2000's that I think coincides with that incursion:
I recall from some anecdotal sources that Wynn: Miller was shortly afterwards expelled and banned from entering Canada.

SMS Möwe
ontobserver
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by ontobserver »

There have been a few references in this and other threads to documents being lost due to websites disappearing. In case you weren't aware of the excellent archive at http://archive.org, it is an excellent tool for finding old versions of web pages. It doesn't catch everything, but as an example, several revisions of Murray's old website can be viewed at: https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://ww ... c.ca/clyde. In fact, there are versions of his website going back to 1998.

Enjoy!
notorial dissent

Actually, I’m not sure but what at least a memorial to poor old Eldon would be appropriate.

Eldon was the first of his stripe I was exposed to many long years ago when I first heard of the anti-tax, de-tax movement, and by that point, he had already fled to Canada for greener, and possibly safer, pickings, as he had more than worn out his welcome down here by that point.

At one time I had a fair file on him and his shall we say less than illustrious career down here, and regrettably seem to have lost it in one computer crash or upgrade or another, at least I can’t find it now.

I really do think he has a stellar point in the firmament of Canadian tax cheats as, and I am going strictly on memory at this point, he seems to have been one of the founding members of the movement, and a lot of the major points used by the later luminaries, can, I think, be traced directly back, blamed on him. He was certainly big on the whole person /strawman thing, I daresay that Porisky probably owes him more than anyone else a great deal for the disasters he’s been handed over time, and a lot the current tried and true seems to come from him. He was also a pioneer in the selective literacy department, as he could intentionally misread something like no one I have seen since. All the more ironic, since as I recall, he was fairly well educated, and so has no excuse for any of it, unlike many of the current crop, Bobby right off the top of my head.

I might add that Eldon’s track record in court wasn’t any better than any of his disciples or followers since, but he was at least in court a good deal of the time in the early years, losing all the while. He and his followers did rack up an impressive number of failures over time.

The last time I bothered to check, he was still as crazy and nasty as he’d ever been, and still selling pretty much the same line of ineffective BS he was from the beginning.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
arayder
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by arayder »

notorial dissent wrote: The last time I bothered to check, [Warman] was still as crazy and nasty as he’d ever been, and still selling pretty much the same line of ineffective BS he was from the beginning.
When you talk about Menard, Clifford and denial you have to realize that Eldon takes the cake.

His wife committed suicide after he ruined their family and rather than deal with it Warman came up with a theory that the government had her killed because she could testify, so he said, that he was being framed for threatening to kill FBI agents.

It seems the otherwise brilliant Warman forgot that he had put the threats in writing and had admitted to them in the newspaper.

Dang, don't you just hate it when that happens?
Last edited by arayder on Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
notorial dissent

arayder wrote:When you talk about Menard, Clifford and denial you have to realize that Eldon takes the cake.
I think when you're talking about Warman, it would be more appropriate to say he baked the cake the rest of them are feasting off of.

As I said, going only from memory, he had what I remember as a very lucrative job, started developing his tax whackery because he didn’t want to pay taxes on it, and went down the rabbit hole from there. I think it is safe to say that he drove his poor wife to suicide with it, and that completely finished his unhinging, and at some later point, as I’m not really clear on the time line anymore, he packed up and took his crazy north, and became ya’ll’s problem.

One of the reasons I think there should be a memorial piece to his crazy written out before all the subtle bits of cra cra get lost in the dim recesses of history, as he really does deserve to be preserved and held up for example.
Hilfskreuzer Möwe

Precisely.

That's one of the odd things about many of the characters in the operetta - it's their limitations that make them so fascinating. That introspective blindness and lack of self-awareness is what seems to drive so much of this phenomenon.

I think there are lessons there. (Or perhaps I'm overly optimistic.)

Here's one more reason to archive and preserve; the case law half of this story is fragmentary. That's only to be expected - the judges only know but a fragment of the tale. But - what judges write becomes law that applies to (potentially) all. If so, then all the more important to understand the actions which lead to those results.

Take Menard. I do not think in any objective sense he himself is an interesting person. Rather, he is a failure on practically any level. It's the effects of his failure that are interesting; he has constructed and deployed a damaging parasitic meme that has harmed hundreds, even thousands. His own foibles are a curiosity to be dissected. But look at the toxic mess he has spewed on humanity. That is where he is special and is worthy as a subject of study and scrutiny.

SMS Möwe
notorial dissent

Just as a snide bit of snarkiness, is there any level at which Bobby isn't a failure? As I seriously haven't been able to identify one if there is, but you are far more familiar with him than I am. He strikes me as being one of the penultimate FOTL/sovrun wasteages of protoplasm, as well as being a genuinely unpleasant and unredeeming sort of personality.
arayder
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by arayder »

Hilfskreuzer Möwe wrote:Take Menard. I do not think in any objective sense he himself is an interesting person. Rather, he is a failure on practically any level. It's the effects of his failure that are interesting; he has constructed and deployed a damaging parasitic meme that has harmed hundreds, even thousands. His own foibles are a curiosity to be dissected. But look at the toxic mess he has spewed on humanity. That is where he is special and is worthy as a subject of study and scrutiny.

SMS Möwe

I have often theorized that Menard suffers from a narcissistic personality disorder (NPD).

From http://psychcentral.com/disorders/narci ... -symptoms/

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder--In order for a person to be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) they must meet five or more of the following symptoms:

-Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements).

-Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love.

-Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).

-Requires excessive admiration.

-Has a very strong sense of entitlement, e.g., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations.

-Is exploitative of others, e.g., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends.

-Lacks empathy, e.g., is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

-Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her.

-Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes.

---------------

When I posed this idea on the Randi forum Menard chimed in to say he had been formally tested for NPD and was found not to have the disorder.

Another poster then wrote quite correctly that there is no test for NPD.

Laughter ensued.
notorial dissent

I don't think there is any question whatsoever that Bobby qualifies, as well as being a whack job of the first water.
Hilfskreuzer Möwe

My librarian friends came through and produced a lost judgment - I with great pleasure present:
I was correct - there was indeed a written judgment which was cited from in R. v. Strang. I'm informed this then located in a collection of unpublished judgments stored by the Alberta Courts' Law Libraries.

For ease of reference and online searching I have reproduced the judgment below, typos are mine except for the "D.L.r." citation glitch:
IN THE COURT OF QUEEN’S BENCH OF ALBERTA
JUDICIAL DISTRICT OF GRANDE PRAIRIE

BETWEEN:

HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN
Respondant

- and –

MURRAY GAUVREAU
Appellant

MEMORANDUM OF JUDGMENT
of the
HONOURABLE MR. JUSTICE A.T. COOKE

This matter comes before me on Summary Conviction Appeal. The appellant is charged under s. 231.2 of the Federal Income Tax Act which reads as follows:
(1) Notwithstanding any other provision in this Act the Minister may, subject to subsection (2) for any purpose related to the administration or enforcement of this Act, by notice served personally or by registered mail require that any person produce, within such reasonable time as is stipulated in the notice

(a) any information or additional information including a return of income or a supplementary return; or

(b) any document.
The appellant sets forth three grounds of appeal:
  • 1. Is the Federal Income Tax Act intra vires of the Federal Government under sections 91 and 92 of the BNA Act of 1867

2. Did the two T1 forms filed by the appellant for the years 1990 and 1991 comply with the requirements of the Income Tax Act by providing the information required by the Act?

3. Was the delivery of these returns within the time specified?
The constitutional argument of the appellant is essentially founded upon an interpretation of sections 91 and 92 of the B.N.A. Act favoured by certain constitutional historians and particularly as expounded in an article written by W.P.M. Kennedy in the Cambridge Law Journal (1943) 8:2 Cambridge L.J. 146. These historians draw in large part on the statements to be found in the preliminary conferences of the representatives from the British North American Colonies held in Quebed in 1986 and in London in 1866. The London Conference in particular brought forth 691 resolutions which resulted in the drafting of sections 91 and 92.

The gist of Kennedy’s argument along with most of the historical comment making up the appellant’s brief is that in section 92 provincial powers were enumerated and exclusive. The federal powers in the peace, order and good government in section 91 were residual in nature. The 29 classes of subjects then enumerated under section 91 were said to be only illustrative of the kinds of power envisioned by the terms “laws for the peace, order and good government of Canada” as opposed to the specific exclusive enumeration assigned to the provinces.

It is a historical fact that the draftsman, Lord Thring drafted section 92 first, it being argued that it was intended to set forth the exclusive enumerated powers to the provinces leaving the residual to the Federal Government. Between sections 91 and 92 all of the legislative power of the Dominion of Canada was exhausted by that distribution.

Kennedy goes on to state:
The Federal powers are wholly residuary for the simple reason that the provincial powers are exclusive and the 29 enumerations in section 91 cannot add ot the residue. They cannot take away from it. They have no meaning except as examples of the residuary power which is as exclusive as the grant of legislative power to the provinces.
As well, it is said the enumerated illustrations of the residual power cannot occupy any special place. They cannot be exalted at the expense of the residuary power for that would restrict the generality of that power which restriction was expressly negated.

Kennedy goes on to decry the judicial interpretation of the u[]B.N.A. Act[/u] by the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council, for their failure to resort in their interpretation of the external aids of parliamentary debates or the resolutions and discussions from the London Conference of 1866.

Kennedy sees as the first major judicial error the case of Tennant v. Union Bank, 1894 AC 31. In that decision Lord Watson broke section 91 into two parts; firstly, the general power and secondly, the enumerated power. The enumerated powers in section 91 that Kennedy argues are merely illustrations or examples of the Federal residual power are converted to something which is in addition to the residual power.

Tennant then goes on from this division of section 91 to conclude that exclusive legislative authority of this Parliament of Canada shall extend to all matters coming within the enumerate classes, and further that the legislation of that Parliament so long as it strictly relates to these matters is to be of paramount authority.

Tennant was the seminal case from which our present day jurisprudence on division of powers may be traced. Later decisions elevated the enumerated powers fo section 91 to a principle position and relegated the residuary power of peace, order and good government to use only in extraordinary cases of national importance.

One of those enumerations in section 91 which Kennedy would argue was originally conceived as being only illustrative of the residuary power of the Federal Government is in subsection (3) which reads “The Raising of Money by any Mode or System of Taxation”.

The interpretation of sections 91 and 92 set forth in Tennant v. The Union Bank was followed in the Privy Council decision in Caron v. The King (1924) A.G. 999 wherein the Judicial Committee relied on section 91(3) “the Raising of Money by any Mode or System of Taxation” as the constitutional basis for the Incoem War Tax Act 1917 the statute from which our present day Income Tax Act descended.

At some point the process of nation building began and it was perceived that such a process required a strong central government. Kennedy concludes that by 1940 cases such as in Re Board of Commerce Act [1922] A.C. 191; Fort Francis Pulp & Power [1923] A.C. 605; Toronto Elec. V. Snider [1925] A.C. 396 and A.G. for Canada v. A.G. for Ontario [1937] A.C. 326 have resulted in the following constitutional position:
We have today arrived at a position where (i) in fact the residue of legislative powers has practically passed to the Provinces under the provincial power over ‘property and civil rights’; (ii) where the normal and usual powers of the Canadian Parliament are only those enumerated illustrations of its power in section 91 (except that the illustration mentioned as ‘the regulation of trade and commerce’ is reduced to the almost absurd position of being a power which the Canadian Parliament can only call in aid of a power granted elsewhere); (iii) where the miscalled ‘general’ power of the Canadian Parliament (in truth in terms of the Act, its sole power) can only be employed by the Canadian Parliament in times of famine, pestilence or some extraordinary nation peril—which is judicial legislation in excellent example; … (v) which implied prohibitions are read into the Act as, for example, where the Canadian Parliament cannot use its clear-cut, unqualified and specially protected power to tax, if by doing so it affords ‘the Dominion an easy passage into the Provincial domain’.
Cambridge Law Journal supra 156

Now all this may be of historic interest but it is just that and nothing more.

Mr. Christie suggests that in a Summary Conviction Appeal I should right 100 years of judicial error. Critical to our system of law is the principle of stare decisis. Lower courts do not overrule higher courts nor do they make findings in contravention of the principle enunciated by those Higher Courts. The term “judicial mischief” cannot begin to describe the chaos which would result to our societal systems if every court in the land suddenly disregarded established principles of law.

I am bound by the decision in Caron v. The King and a long line of similar authorities including, Winterhaven Stables Ltd. v. A.G. 1988 53 D.L.r. (4th) 413 and Re GST (1992) 138 N.R. 247. These authorities recognize the power of the Federal Government to impose direct taxes.

I turn now to the second ground.

The appellant completed his return by setting forth certain conclusions, in essence that the Income Tax Act is ultra vires by reason of direct taxation being an exclusive provincial power. The purposes for which the Minister may require information pursuant to section 231.2 relate to the administration or enforcement of the Act not its constitutional validity.

The information contemplated by that section must simply be of sufficient clarity and completeness that the Department can develop a notice of assessment. The comments included in the appellant’s T1 returns are simply his personal opinions as to the Government’s right to impose tax.

The constitutional validity of the Income Tax Act can be argued by way of an appeal from an assessment since it is the liability sought to be imposed by that assessment which raises the issue of constitutional validity.

In view of the above findings there is no need to deal with the final point. The appeal is dismissed

[signature]
J.Q.B.A.

DATED at the City of Edmonton
This 16th day of June, 1995.
It's a pity this judgment isn't more broadly available because it is legally very significant in the development of OPCA ideas. There really was a kind of spectacularly weak legal argument here - that the courts have gotten interpretation of the division of powers between the Canadian and provincial governments dead wrong.

Truth told, I actually agree with the general position that Canada's Federal powers have been inappropriately restrained but as Justice Cooke observes, that's not our choice to make. The high appellate courts have said the Rule is X, so the Rule is X.

A historical note - there are a number of references to the "Privy Council". Until 1949 the highest court in Canada was the U.K. Privy Council; our Supreme Court wasn't the final court. Unless displaced by subsequent Supreme Court of Canada judgments those Privy Council cases are still final binding authorities.

This was a fun exercise - I think my next research target will be Gerry Hart who I think may be the oldest, chronologically, of the pre-Detaxers. But who knows? Neat things keep turning up as we dig.

SMS Möwe
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

You typed all that out, including citations and nitpicking formatting like this?
At some point the process of nation building began and it was perceived that such a process required a strong central government. Kennedy concludes that by 1940 cases such as in Re Board of Commerce Act [1922] A.C. 191; Fort Francis Pulp & Power [1923] A.C. 605; Toronto Elec. V. Snider [1925] A.C. 396 and A.G. for Canada v. A.G. for Ontario [1937] A.C. 326 have resulted in the following constitutional position:
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

An oldie but goldie I've uncovered about Murray Gauvreau;

http://collections.westbeyondthewest.ca ... 191994.pdf

Check out page A8. I have, for convenience, reproduced the article. I got a virus caution when I clicked on the link the first time but it is spurious. The website, West Beyond the West, is an academic site with the goal of digitalizing the public records (newspapers and such) of British Columbia. The link takes you to the Terrace B.C. public library;
The Terrace Standard, Wed. Jan. 19, 1994, page A8

Pilgrims behind tax diatribe
By Troy Freeborn

Many Terrace residents pondered an unusual publication stuffed into their mail boxes recently.

The eight-page tabloid paper carried the front-page headline “Canada’s Federal Income Tax is unconstitutional”.

It contained articles on alleged banking conspiracies and the possibilities of the government paying its citizens dividends rather than people paying taxes.

Entitled Michael Journal, the publication hails from Rougemont, Que. and contains articles such as “the Beast of the Apocalypse: 666 A gigantic self-programming computer.”

That item claims a beast referred to in the Bible has already set up in Brussels, Belgium, where it will control the buying and selling done by each individual throughout the world.

Audra Witiuck, a Communications Officer for Canada Post, says the publication was distributed through most of the province.

Witiuck says there is no existing regulation against the distribution of such material, assuming it is not obscene, defamatory or hate mail.

Witiuck added that Canada Post doesn’t decide what gets mailed and what doesn’t.

“We just respond to orders from the courts when something is blocked.”

Michael Journal is a bi-monthly paper published by a Catholic organization called The Pilgrims of Saint Michael. An estimated 100,000 copies of the November-December issue were distributed throughout Canada.

The author of the paper’s cover article, Murray Gauvreau, claims the publication is printed in four different languages and distributed world-wide.

Gauvreau says the organization is 40 years old and has about 30 “pilgrims” who work for free and travel the country to spread their message. The organization is funded by donations from supporters of their cause.

“They want to educate the people of Canada about a better way to run the country.”

Guavreau added that while he agrees with the paper’s economic platform, he cannot associate with its religious philosophies.

The article is accompanied with a photograph of a white male wearing a white beret and holding a sign that reads “Death To Taxes” (the “x” is a skull and cross bones), with the caption:
Travelling pilgrim Jean-Pierre Richard, of the Pilgrims of Saint Michael, was in Terrace two years ago spreading the catholic lay sect’s anti-taxation message.
For those of you that don't know Terrace (all of you) it's impressive that the Michael Journal managed to reach even that secluded corner. Well off the beaten track in northern British Columbia. I was there once in the 1960s when I led a temporary life as a prospector. Not much there at the time and I doubt, given how the lumber and mining industries have fared since that time, that there is much more there now.

As far as I'm aware this is the earliest known instance of a touring OPCA scheme. And it's entirely domestic in origin. I think it's pretty fascinating how the Canadian strains of OPCA thought operated independently for at least a decade before the US influence appears.