Michael "nothing more and nothing less" Unger

Moderator: Burnaby49

Fmotlgroupie
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Michael "nothing more and nothing less" Unger

Post by Fmotlgroupie »

Another Free Driver on the Land is making his way through the courts, giving the courts the full Sovereign and (likely partly as a result) doing it from prison without bail. All I have is a news article so I'll quote it in its entirety:
http://medicinehatnews.com/news/local-n ... nied-bail/
A freeman on the land in custody since October was once again denied bail on criminal flight and obstruction charges after apparently rejecting the court’s jurisdiction as well as his last name.

Michael Unger, 63, told the court his name was, “Michael, nothing more and nothing less,” during his Queen’s Bench bail review Thursday, adding his birth certificate was property of the Bank of Canada.

Unger told the court his use of that name would amount to “copyright infringement.”

He told the court, “I am a living human being.”

Unger was read each charge — one fleeing in a motor vehicle allegations and two obstruction charges — to which he responded, “I don’t understand the charges.”

In seeking an early trial date, Crown prosecutor Kelly Payne told the court the man risks spending “more time in custody than the Crown is asking for.”

A default March 23 Queen’s Bench judge and jury trial was set.

The freeman of the land movement has caused an increasing amount of concern in Canadian and Alberta courts.

In his 2012 landmark Meads’ ruling, Alberta associate Chief Justice John Rooke coined freeman court submissions as, “organized pseudolegal commercial arguments (OPCA).”

Rooke stated OPCAs are, “Byzantine schemes which more closely resemble the plot of a dark fantasy novel than anything else.

Latin maxims and powerful sounding language are often used.

Documents are often ornamented with many strange markings and seals. Litigants engage in peculiar, ritual like in court conduct.”
Between the fact that Unger is being held until trial, and the fact that the Crown has opted to proceed by indictment (a more complex process probably involving a jury trial in this case, but allowing for longer sentences) I suspect Unger has a decent criminal history but I can't seem to find anything online.
Bill Lumbergh
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Re: Michael "nothing more and nothing less" Unger

Post by Bill Lumbergh »

Great news! Michael Unger has carried the day and successfully defended himself against criminal charges!

R v. Unger, 2016 ABPC 46: http://canlii.ca/t/gnj3m

Our fearless hero found himself in a house for which the police had obtained a search warrant. He was there with a woman who, for some inexplicable reason, was told to leave without incident. The police found marijuana and a gun stashed in various locations in the house, as well as some marijuana plants growing outside. Unger was arrested but then released on a recognizance, which he refused to sign because he'd been listening to too much Kate of Gaia:
The accused refused to sign the recognizance asserting that to do so would be participating in an improper process and on the basis that the name used to describe him was fictional; what he described as “birth certificate fraud”. He remained in custody until the trial of this matter.
As it turns out, keeping him in custody was a mistake. It seems the Criminal Code specifically provides that when someone refuses to sign a recognizance, they are to be released with a copy of it anyways. It's worth noting this section, as freemen sometimes like to claim victory that they were released without signing anything:
The accused expressed some concern in signing such a form so I directed him and those who were present to s501(4) of the Criminal Code which reads as follows:

An accused shall be requested to sign in duplicate his appearance notice, promise to appear or recognizance and, whether or not he complies with that request, one of the duplicates shall be given to the accused, but if the accused fails or refuses to sign, the lack of his signature does not invalidate the appearance notice, promise to appear or recognizance, as the case may be.

Where, as is the case here, an accused is directed to be released in accordance with the Form 32 Recognizance and then fails or refuses to sign that Recognizance, s501(4) comes into play. Since his failure or refusal to sign the Recognizance does not invalidate it, this alone cannot be a reason to detain him. This accused should have been released when this Court directed his release on November 3rd, 2015. His continued detention was contrary to the provisions of the Criminal Code and contrary to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms which guarantees the right not to be arbitrarily detained or imprisoned (s9) and the right not to be denied reasonable bail without just cause (s11(e)).
So how did he pull this glorious OPCA victory? Well, at first he attempted to file magical paperwork from KoG, titled "BIRTH CERTIFICATE FRAUD; CLAUSULA REBUS SIC STANTIBUS". As far as I know this is the first reported decision where the court directly addressed KoG paperwork.

KoG likes to market this document as the ultimate "get out of jail free card". As soon as you use it, you become untouchable. The document itself is here: https://kateofgaia.wordpress.com/2015/1 ... stantibus/

A quick google reveals what the Clausula concept actually refers to (from wiki):
In public international law, clausula rebus sic stantibus (Latin for "things thus standing") is the legal doctrine allowing for treaties to become inapplicable because of a fundamental change of circumstances. It is essentially an "escape clause" that makes an exception to the general rule of pacta sunt servanda (promises must be kept).
So did this silver bullet document lead to a stunning victory in court?

No.
The accused submits that although his birth certificate describes him as Michael Murray Unger, this is not his name. He filed a four page document setting forth his argument in that regard. The accused’s submissions are an unintelligible diatribe that condemns and criticizes lawyers, judges, government agencies and their employees, and is simply a thinly disguised attempt to derail the administration of justice and deny responsibility through an argument with no legal foundation.

[21] The latin phrase clausula rebus sic stantibus is a legal doctrine that implies a tacit condition said to attach to contracts meaning that they cease to be obligatory as soon as the state of facts out of which they arose has changed: (see Black’s Law Dictionary). It has no application whatsoever to this accused and to the charges before the Court.

[22] When arrested, the accused was identified by one of the other occupants as Michael Murray Unger; he acknowledged to the arresting officer that his name appeared on his birth certificate (although his birth certificate was not marked as an exhibit) and he made no argument and gave no evidence that he was some person other than that which was described in the Information. He simply submitted that he did not feel bound to use the birth certificate.

[23] This is a form of argument raised by other OPCA (Organized Pseudolegal Commercial Argument) litigants which has been thoroughly canvassed and rejected by the Courts in previous decisions: see particularly Meads v Meads, 2012 ABQB 571 (CanLII). This lengthy and learned decision by Justice Rooke of the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench reviewed and dismissed this and other issues raised by this type of litigant.
Nevertheless, Unger was acquitted. It seems the evidence linking him to the house (and thus, having constructive possession of the drugs/gun) was really thin. Besides his presence there, the cops only found a few personal articles (some mail, possibly some clothing, and his name on some certificate). This wasn't enough to prove the offence beyond a reasonable doubt:
In considering the evidence in the case at bar, it is necessary to consider the entire constellation of the circumstances but in doing so to be aware of what circumstances do not exist. For example, in the case at bar there is no evidence of who owned the property, who rented the property, who paid the utilities and taxes on the property, who maintained the property, who frequented the property, in fact there was no evidence whatsoever as to who actually lived at the property. There had been no surveillance on the property and no neighbours were called to testify with respect to whether the accused had any relationship with the property whatsoever. No evidence was tendered to explain who the woman was who greeted the police at the door and why she was immediately released and not investigated in connection with these matters.

In this case I am not persuaded that the Crown’s case cries out for an explanation. That is to say, I have not been persuaded that the evidence before the Court satisfies the Crown’s burden to prove that this accused was in possession of the drugs, the firearms or the ammunition and as such the accused’s decision not to testify does not assist the Crown.
So there you have it. A clear victory for the no-namers!
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Or more correctly for VERY sloppy police and prosecution service work.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Wake Up! Productions

Post by Wake Up! Productions »

Forget Dean Clifford, forget Robert Menard, forget all other gurus - "Kate of Gaia" (Keith Thompson) has now catapulted himself into the top spot among Canadian gurus. In fact, not just in Canada, as he has a large cult following in the U.K. as well (where street billboards are now being erected).

Unlike those such as Burnaby, who can follow many cases and many people at the same time, I prefer to fixate on one or two gurus at a time. With Dean Clifford in for the long haul, and Robert Menard still on the run, my entire focus will now turn to KoG and his CULT !!!
DEAN CLIFFORD IS OUT OF PRISON !!! :shock:
Wake Up! Productions

An accused shall be requested to sign in duplicate his appearance notice, promise to appear or recognizance and, whether or not he complies with that request, one of the duplicates shall be given to the accused, but if the accused fails or refuses to sign, the lack of his signature does not invalidate the appearance notice, promise to appear or recognizance, as the case may be.
I actually recall a Kate of Gaia broadcast where he said that upon being released from jail (circa 2012), he was presented a large zip-lock bag with his belongings. He noticed the paperwork in the bag, and promptly dumped the bag out on the counter, picking up only what was his - leaving the paperwork on the counter.
arayder
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by arayder »

Wake Up! Productions wrote:Forget Dean Clifford, forget Robert Menard, forget all other gurus - "Kate of Gaia" (Keith Thompson) has now catapulted himself into the top spot among Canadian gurus. In fact, not just in Canada, as he has a large cult following in the U.K. as well (where street billboards are now being erected).

Unlike those such as Burnaby, who can follow many cases and many people at the same time, I prefer to fixate on one or two gurus at a time. With Dean Clifford in for the long haul, and Robert Menard still on the run, my entire focus will now turn to KoG and his CULT !!!
That's an interesting comment. Kate used to be a mere hanger on and at one point looked like he was going down the crazy road to irrelevancy. But with Dean just plain gone and Menard hampered by having to lay low it seems Kate may be the only guru left. Menard sure as can be is threatened by him. He can't stop talking about how he thinks Kate is wrong.

I have to say that Kate has definitely doubled down on the nonsense. But that figures since the detax and freeman generations of "the movement" have pretty well run their race.
Wake Up! Productions

arayder wrote:That's an interesting comment. Kate used to be a mere hanger on and at one point looked like he was going down the crazy road to irrelevancy. But with Dean just plain gone and Menard hampered by having to lay low it seems Kate may be the only guru left. Menard sure as can be is threatened by him. He can't stop talking about how he thinks Kate is wrong.

I have to say that Kate has definitely doubled down on the nonsense. But that figures since the detax and freeman generations of "the movement" have pretty well run their race.
While Menard and Clifford may boast a greater number of followers, most of them are merely passive observers whose actions never leave the online realm. As Dean Clifford once said about his followers, "oh, I'll wait to see if you go to jail first". However, "Kate's" followers are actively putting his rants of nonsense into real world practice. To me that is a far greater threat.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Wake Up! Productions wrote:
arayder wrote:That's an interesting comment. Kate used to be a mere hanger on and at one point looked like he was going down the crazy road to irrelevancy. But with Dean just plain gone and Menard hampered by having to lay low it seems Kate may be the only guru left. Menard sure as can be is threatened by him. He can't stop talking about how he thinks Kate is wrong.

While Menard and Clifford may boast a greater number of followers, most of them are merely passive observers whose actions never leave the online realm. As Dean Clifford once said about his followers, "oh, I'll wait to see if you go to jail first". However, "Kate's" followers are actively putting his rants of nonsense into real world practice. To me that is a far greater threat.
I have a couple of thoughts on this. Firstly, as Arayder implies. It's a race to the bottom. The giants have fallen (giant is very much a relative term when Menard is included in it) and all that's left is the detritus. Like the mammals getting their day in the sun after the destruction of the dinosaurs the previous outliers are now gaining prominance. Nature hates a vacuum.

However I don't expect it to last long. Most guru followers expect concrete results. As jimmywx11's example shows they are starting to get them but, sadly for them, the results are just another predictable freeman-led disaster.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=10576

So, in my opinion, the more they act on Kate's advice the better. A bit of a bother for UK authorities for a while but a necessary step towards Kate's eventual end in the dumpster.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Wake Up! Productions

Burnaby49 wrote:I have a couple of thoughts on this. Firstly, as Arayder implies. It's a race to the bottom. The giants have fallen (giant is very much a relative term when Menard is included in it) and all that's left is the detritus. Like the mammals getting their day in the sun after the destruction of the dinosaurs the previous outliers are now gaining prominance. Nature hates a vacuum.

However I don't expect it to last long. Most guru followers expect concrete results. As jimmywx11's example shows they are starting to get them but, sadly for them, the results are just another predictable freeman-led disaster.

So, in my opinion, the more they act on Kate's advice the better. A bit of a bother for UK authorities for a while but a necessary step towards Kate's eventual end in the dumpster.
I understand your position. You are an observer/reporter, whereas I am more of a front line scrapper. As fun as it may be for you, I can not sit back and watch people fall into this trap. If you recall, I fell for a lot of it, and 5 years on I only wish someone was making Youtube videos debunking it. If I can save even one person (the way Doazic :wink: on Youtube saved me), then it is worth it to me.
arayder
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by arayder »

Burnaby49 wrote:I have a couple of thoughts on this. Firstly, as Arayder implies. It's a race to the bottom. The giants have fallen (giant is very much a relative term when Menard is included in it) and all that's left is the detritus. Like the mammals getting their day in the sun after the destruction of the dinosaurs the previous outliers are now gaining prominance. Nature hates a vacuum.

This is interesting. Some movements get more functional as they grow and as time passes. Some, like freemanary, go the other way.

My guess is that the growing and functional movements are so because they attract competent and sane individuals to a worthy, clear purpose. If the movement is organized the effort takes off like a rocket. I am thinking here of mothers against drunk driving, local food pantries and immunization drives.

The freeman movement serves as a non-example.
notorial dissent

I am very much afraid that the "giants" of footldumb are at best nothing but the merest of midgets.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

My only observation on this is that the anti-government idiocy tends to run in cycles. In the US there were a number of tax protesters gurus in the late 60's and 70's that sold a lot of nonsense to idiots and encouraged them to not pay taxes. The government arrested, prosecuted and jailed a significant number of them; not surprisingly, the number of people who drank the koolade decreased. Then in the late 80's and 90's we got a revival through the likes of people like Thurston Bell, Bill Benson, Bill Conklin, John Kotmair, Lynne Meredith and Irwin Schiff (to name just a few). The government dragged their feet on going after this new wave of con artists; not surprisingly the tax protest movement multiplied and spawned more scammers like Larken Rose, Eddie Khan and Larken Rose. Finally, the government started going after everyone again and hammered them one way or another. Right now we have very few de-tax gurus out there (Peymon Mottahedeh being the most significant one that I can think of).

I have no doubts that given a few more years, new gurus will bubble out of that tar pit known as Frickintardistan and we will see old de-tax hogwash recycled, along with some new scams. Of course, most of the anti-government movement has headed off to the sovrun movement, but that is getting squashed and I suspect that the moron followers in that movement will wait to see what new guru emerges to lead them to the Promise Land.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Maybe I'm out of the loop but is Kate still a Guru? I seem to remember she cancelled her internet radio show a long time ago.

And just on the general topic of the waning of the movement, Angela Stark, whose talkshoe has promoted everyone from Dean Clifford, to Karl Lentz, to the deceased Irwin Schiff and the infamous Jerry Kane, has been having trouble finding Gurus to appear on the show.

Which has led to a few episodes of "talk amongst yourselves" with the occasional guy calling in from jail.
Bill Lumbergh
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by Bill Lumbergh »

Jeffrey wrote:Maybe I'm out of the loop but is Kate still a Guru? I seem to remember she cancelled her internet radio show a long time ago.
The show used to be a daily 3-hour feature, but I think something happened to KoG's lodgings because she mentioned in a recent show that she's living in a motel. So now the show airs whenever KoG feels like it. It's far less entertaining than it used to be because only the diehards (one or two of them) call in now and it's mostly 2-hours of KoG rambling on.

Episodes can be found here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/legalnamefraudradio
arayder
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by arayder »

Bill Lumbergh wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:Maybe I'm out of the loop but is Kate still a Guru? I seem to remember she cancelled her internet radio show a long time ago.
The show used to be a daily 3-hour feature, but I think something happened to KoG's lodgings because she mentioned in a recent show that she's living in a motel. So now the show airs whenever KoG feels like it. It's far less entertaining than it used to be because only the diehards (one or two of them) call in now and it's mostly 2-hours of KoG rambling on.

I listened to parts of some of the shows. They are rambling messes in which Kate equates eating meat, using your name or general participation in society with satanism.

The shows may sound nuts but when one considers that society and everything in it hasn't worked out too well for Kate all the way back to the incidences of sexual abuse she admits occurred in childhood it makes a lot more sense.

As I have stated before I think it is a searing indictment of the freeman subculture that they never urged Kate to get counseling before she lost her job, house, family and most of her good sense.

Indeed, while Kate is down she is being kicked by Mister love and peace himself, Robert Menard.
notorial dissent

I think KoG qualifies as a guru only by virtue of last midget standing. The rest of the rat pack have either voluntarily or otherwise left the field, leaving it wide open to the last surviving predator, and will only last until someone/thing new comes along and KoG is displaced.
Wake Up! Productions

Bill Lumbergh wrote:

I looked into Blog Talk Radio. There are 3 packages you can pay for: a 1 hour show, a 2 hour show, and a 3 hour show. It seems as though "Kate" can no longer afford the 3 hour package.

Yes Jeffrey, "Kate" did drop off the face of the earth for about 8 months or so, but he is back, and his CULT is gaining in popularity with all the other Gurus missing in action. Let's face it, most of "Kate's" audience came from Santos Bonacci, now that he has gone silent on the legal name stuff and moved on to the "flat earth" crap !!!

The way I see things: there are 2 camps. The religious (New Age) camp, and the non-religious (Anarchist/Freeman) camp. "Kate" has now sprung to the head of the religious camp. The New Age camp is far worse than the Anarchist/Freeman camp. At least some of the Freeman stuff has a basis (albeit small) in REALITY. The New Age camp just makes sh*t up out thin air, and their cult followers drink it up without question.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Wow, Kate seems to have missed something! Why the signing in duplicate? Obviously, one signature is for the fleshandblood/livingsoul/childofgod, and the other is for the strawperson.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4