Dean Clifford: Sentencing & Beyond

Moderator: Burnaby49

SteveUK
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Dean Clifford: Sentencing & Beyond

Post by SteveUK »

So the consensus is that he'll be doing serious bird one way or another ?
Is it SteveUK or STEVE: of UK?????
Wake Up! Productions

Post by Wake Up! Productions »

SteveUK wrote:So the consensus is that he'll be doing serious bird one way or another ?
Yes, they wouldn't have held him in pre-trial custody for 16 months if they weren't certain that he was going to be doing more than that. Bare minimum I would say 5 years, minus time served.
DEAN CLIFFORD IS OUT OF PRISON !!! :shock:
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Hyrion is citing 85 which is Use Offences, Dean wasn't charged with that. He got hit with 88 which is possession and 88 doesn't specify whether it's concurrent or consecutive.
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

Wake Up! Productions wrote: Do what I do, put on the movie Titanic. It's 3 hours long, so I know there is no way that I will stay up to watch the whole thing. I have seen the start of that movie hundreds of times.
In case you were wondering, in the end it sinks and many people Die. Hope that didn't ruin it for you...

I will add, this is the reason I tell my wife for me not wanting to watch what is one of here favorite movies, because I already know how it will end ;)
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Hyrion

Post by Hyrion »

Caveat: as a Layman I could be missing a LOT.
Wake Up! Productions wrote:If I am not mistaken, Dean wasn't home on Nov. 5, 2013 when his house was raided, and the guns were found.
So he wouldn't have been "using" the firearms - so that pretty much eliminates section 1 from the consecutive sentencing. As I understand that section - it requires using the firearm while committing an indictable offense - like using a firearm to rob the liquor store. That section - Section 85 - contains a prison term of 1 to 14 years unless it's a subsequent offense which then pushes it to 3 to 14 years.... but... without being sure they were able to prove "using" in relation to other indictable offenses - that pretty much pushes section 85 out of the picture.
Wake Up! Productions wrote:Now we know that all the gun charges will be served consecutively along with the pot charge.
  • Section 88: Possession of weapon for dangerous purpose
Punishment does not explicitly include consecutive sentencing - and the Crown would have had to prove intent.

Section 91 covers unauthorized possession - no consecutive sentencing

I like section 98 - break and enter to steal firearm = possible life sentence.

But in just the Criminal Code connected to, I can't find the connection between a firearm (of any kind) and an illicit drug.

Edited to add: Doh - Jeffrey beat me to the clarification of which section I mentioned.
Wake Up! Productions

Jeffrey wrote:Hyrion is citing 85 which is Use Offences, Dean wasn't charged with that. He got hit with 88 which is possession and 88 doesn't specify whether it's concurrent or consecutive.
Damn, back to square one. It is anyone's guess right now. I will say though that Justice Martin has been very tolerant with Dean thus far.
LordEd

Post by LordEd »

NYGman wrote:
Wake Up! Productions wrote: Do what I do, put on the movie Titanic. It's 3 hours long, so I know there is no way that I will stay up to watch the whole thing. I have seen the start of that movie hundreds of times.
In case you were wondering, in the end it sinks and many people Die. Hope that didn't ruin it for you...

I will add, this is the reason I tell my wife for me not wanting to watch what is one of here favorite movies, because I already know how it will end ;)
Get a commentary track to listen along with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa8T2IoQ1wg
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

LordEd wrote:Get a commentary track to listen along with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa8T2IoQ1wg
It still sinks. It does every time. Maybe a version where it didn't sink...

All is fair in love and war though, there are great movies I like that she will not watch :)

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Hyrion

Post by Hyrion »

NYGman wrote:It still sinks. It does every time.
What if watched upside down, would it then crash into the icy ocean floor and float to the surface?
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

Hyrion wrote:
NYGman wrote:It still sinks. It does every time.
What if watched upside down, would it then crash into the icy ocean floor and float to the surface?

I have watched it in reverse. It is a sad tail of the raising of a ship from under the sea, and while it does manage to somehow rescue a whole bunch of people, interestingly starting with the band and a captain with the women and children last. It was awesome seeing them raise the small boats to safety but was a bit out of place was the way those swiming seemed to be sucked on-board. However it really is a sad love story as it seems a lovely couple breaks up and the man is banished to the lowest class until they reach Europe where they disembark safely.

Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

I have watched it in reverse. It is a sad tail of the raising of a ship from under the sea, and while it does manage to somehow rescue a whole bunch of people, interestingly starting with the band and a captain with the women and children last. It was awesome seeing them raise the small boats to safety but was a bit out of place was the way those swiming seemed to be sucked on-board. However it really is a sad love story as it seems a lovely couple breaks up and the man is banished to the lowest class until they reach Europe where they disembark safely.
That reminds me of the scene in Slaughterhouse-5 in which Billy Pilgrim watches a war movie backwards...
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Post by jcolvin2 »

Dr. Caligari wrote:
That reminds me of the scene in Slaughterhouse-5 in which Billy Pilgrim watches a war movie backwards...
Or the Martin Amis novel, Time's Arrow, in which a Nazi dentist provides gold filings to Jews ...
Wake Up! Productions

And now to get back ON TOPIC ...

#DeanCliffordEpicFAIL

Dean's https://earthsco.blogspot.com/ has hit a roadblock, and the site is "postponed indefinitely":

Dean's cash flow has taken a gigantic nose dive !!! :haha:

Dean Clifford Website #EPICFAIL !!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_4WV4NsejI
Last edited by Wake Up! Productions on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

My suspicion is that he'll get slapped pretty hard on the gun charges as that seems to be a Canadian thing, and truth be told he deserves that, and the pot charges probably not so much, as someone pointed out most likely concurrently. My choice would be the maximum on all charges consecutively, as he is a nasty violent waste or protoplasm.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

NYGman wrote:
Hyrion wrote:
bmxninja357 wrote:You missed restricted weapons and having guns and drugs together.
First thing I need to do is take the time to find and review in detail the criminal charges he was convicted of. Then I can more appropriately figure out whether or not consecutive sentencing looks a sure thing in his future.
I think Burnaby49 did this a while ago, I think before the last date he was to be sentenced. It could be in the old thread. Let's summon him now, and see if he can find it... Burnaby49, Burnaby49, Burnaby49
I recall doing a detailed review which is buried somewhere in this discussion. However with the actual sentencing so close I'm not going to bother to go back and dig it up. Why speculate? We'll find out next month.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Wake Up! Productions

Burnaby49 wrote:I recall doing a detailed review which is buried somewhere in this discussion. However with the actual sentencing so close I'm not going to bother to go back and dig it up. Why speculate? We'll find out next month.
The following 14 is what Dean was CHARGED with, however media reports say that he was only found guilty of 12 of the 14. Which 2 charges were dropped, who knows?

1x Production Of Controlled Substance (marijuana): 14 years (max)
1x Failure to comply with condition of undertaking or recognizance 2 years (max)
1x Possession Of Prohibited Or Restricted Firearm: 10 years (max)
1x Careless Storage Of Ammunition: 2 years (max)
5x Contravention Of Storage Regulations: 2 years (max) on first offence, 5 years (max) on subsequent offences
5x Possessing a firearm without a license: 5 years (max)
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

NYGman wrote:
LordEd wrote:Get a commentary track to listen along with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa8T2IoQ1wg
It still sinks. It does every time. Maybe a version where it didn't sink...
It even sinks in the nazi version.

Oh-- wait, watch Space Cruiser Yamato.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Philistine

Post by Philistine »

Since it's a guess, I'm going with no more than 3-5 years less time served.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

I'll just play devil's advocate. In Dean's defense, since being released on Bond he's stayed out of trouble and only left the house to go to work, (at least as far as we know).

That will probably play a large factor in the sentencing. And a smart move by Dean, assuming he's doing it intentionally.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Dr. Caligari wrote:

... or playing a country song backwards. You get your truck back, your dog back, your girlfriend/wife back...