Meads v Meads - A 200 page decision of treasonous diatribe

Moderator: Burnaby49

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Meads v Meads - A 200 page decision of treasonous diatribe

Post by Burnaby49 »

At least in the opinion of Rolf Hartloff. Rolf had a bit of an issue with the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC). He'd borrowed money and he either couldn't pay it back or he didn't want to, about $29,000. So He sent the bank a unilateral contract;
[11] Mr. Hartloff’s communication with CIBC and its solicitors has consisted of a course of conduct in which it appears Mr. Hartloff is attempting to divest himself of his responsibilities for his debts by referring to discredited pseudolegal arguments. He sent a document entitled “Claim of Truth” to CIBC on March 11, 2015 in which he purports to impose an obligation on CIBC to answer seven nonsensical arguments he raises within 30 days or there will be no debt owing by him to CIBC. CIBC’s solicitors sent a letter to Mr. Hartloff referring him to Meads v Meads, 2012 ABQB 571 (CanLII), 543 AR 215 [Meads], in an attempt to demonstrate to Mr. Hartloff that his tactics and arguments had no hope of succeeding.

[12] On May 19, 2015, May 25, 2015, May 28, 2015, June 23, 2015, July 15, 2015 and July 22, 2015, Mr. Hartloff sent correspondence to CIBC’s solicitors by email and letter. This correspondence again raised discredited pseudolegal arguments and, amongst other things, claimed to charge CIBC $300.00 for every telephone call they had made to him, demanded an answer to his Claim of Truth, claimed CIBC was now in default to him and made veiled threats.
So the court considered summary judgment against him;
[17] The facts of this matter are uncontroverted and the amount claimed is readily quantifiable. This is the type of matter that is very well suited to the granting of summary judgment under Rule 7-5(1)(a) without the need to resort to the court’s expanded powers under Rule 7-5(2)(b).

[18] The court finds there is no genuine issue for trial in this matter. Mr. Hartloff entered into three different types of contractual arrangements with CIBC with regard to the Visa account, the overdraft on the deposit account and the personal loan. He is contractually obligated to pay the amounts claimed by CIBC, he has not done so and no valid defence to CIBC’s claim has been raised.

[19] Mr. Hartloff is well aware of the existence of the debts but he appears to believe he can avoid his responsibility to pay those debts by referring to pseudolegal theories that have been completely rejected by every court they have ever been raised in. As noted above, CIBC’s solicitors attempted to persuade Mr. Hartloff that the arguments he was raising could not succeed and referred him specifically to Meads. This was all to no avail. In his June 23, 2015 email to CIBC’s solicitors, Mr. Hartloff referred to Meads as “...a 200 page decision of treasonous diatribe...”

[20] Unfortunately, it appears Mr. Hartloff has been deceived into believing the legal system that applies to all residents of Canada does not apply to him. He is wrong in his belief that signing his name in a special way, referencing the Magna Carta or making ludicrous demands will somehow relieve him of his obligation to pay his debts. He obtained the money from CIBC and he spent it. He is now required to pay it back.
Harsh, very harsh. Just the brutal comment that if you borow money you are expected to repay it. What about his defense, isn't that enough?
[24] There is no genuine issue for trial with regard to Mr. Hartloff’s counter-claim. The counter-claim is based solely on a claim that CIBC should pay Mr. Hartloff the amount it advanced to him under the personal loan and the Visa account. There are no grounds for a claim that CIBC should gift a further amount to Mr. Hartloff equal to the amount he owes them. The counter-claim cannot possibly succeed. Mr. Hartloff’s counter-claim is dismissed in its entirety.
Apparently not. So the court hit him with higher-level costs;
[33] On the basis of the contractual terms and the authorities set out above regarding the awarding of solicitor and client costs, the court finds it appropriate to order solicitor and client costs in this matter.

[34] Mr. Hartloff contractually agreed to pay CIBC’s legal costs in the event of default for each of the two largest debts. These two debts represent over 98% of CIBC’s claim. He then engaged in frivolous, unreasonable and outrageous conduct that increased the costs and complexity of a matter in which he had no defence. Despite the complete lack of any legal basis to defend against CIBC’s claim, he filed a statement of defence and counter-claim which was devoid of any merit. This required CIBC to apply for summary judgment.

[35] Parties are entitled to make claims and defend claims and are not subject to solicitor and client costs simply because the claim or defence is unsuccessful. A meritless claim or defence on its own is not sufficient to ground a claim for solicitor and client costs, but the nature of the defence, counter-claim and communication from Mr. Hartloff in contemplation of litigation and during the litigation is frivolous, unreasonable and outrageous. When a party engages in pursuing a nonsensical claim or defence in the manner engaged in by Mr. Hartloff, even after he has been provided with a clear statement of the law as found in Meads, solicitor and client costs are appropriate. CIBC should not have to be responsible for the expenses caused by Mr. Hartloff’s choice to engage in litigation in such a manner.

[36] The court awards solicitor and client costs to CIBC as a result of the combination of the contractual terms and Mr. Hartloff’s conduct in this litigation.

Conclusion

As a result of all of the above, the court grants summary judgment as follows:
(a) CIBC is awarded judgment against Mr. Hartloff in the amount of $29,248.39.
(b) Mr. Hartloff’s counter-claim is dismissed in its entirety.
(c) CIBC is awarded costs from Mr. Hartloff throughout each step taken in this entire action on a solicitor and client basis, to be assessed.
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce v Hartloff, 2016 SKQB 155
http://canlii.ca/t/grqjc

I don't see any more litigation activities by Hartloff, but he's clearly been at this game for awhile.

His Google+ website;

https://plus.google.com/108705762316917336526/posts

Where his buddy is Charles Norman Holmes;

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=9683

He's also friends with the Parakeet and Eldon Warman! And here's his magic CERI paperwork;

http://www.allcreatorsgifts.org/forumarc/125.html

Pure Belanger. However I don't see a date.

And he's a charity scammer;

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... g-1.550962
http://www.publications.gov.sk.ca/details.cfm?p=56841
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Meads v Meads - A 200 page decision of treasonous diatribe

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

No worry. He'll probably refer the matter to a Common Law court somewhere, and get the decision "reversed". :twisted:
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

But this is where he could learn from Arthur Doerksen on how to beat the evil statist system and adapt it to his situation. Imagine the consternation of CIBC officials when they find out they cannot collect their court-tainted award because Hartloff shuffled off his mortal coil. That would teach them a lesson!
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

The Observer wrote:But this is where he could learn from Arthur Doerksen on how to beat the evil statist system and adapt it to his situation. Imagine the consternation of CIBC officials when they find out they cannot collect their court-tainted award because Hartloff shuffled off his mortal coil. That would teach them a lesson!
I had two taxpayers who took advantage of that loophole while I was a CRA auditor. Both were heading to tax court and both were going to lose. One was an old guy who'd send me barely literate letters telling me what an idiot I was and how he'd get me fired after he beat me. One was written in pencil on a brown paper bag. Sadly he died suddenly the weekend before the hearing. I'd been looking forward to it with high expectations.

Frankly I was happy the second individual died. A very volatile violent guy. Divorced twice because he kept beating his wives up. The CRA couldn't settle what should have been an easily negotiated issue because there was no way to deal with him. We had to have the RCMP in attendance in meetings and high security was arranged for the court hearing. Just before the Tax Court hearing he was on the front page of my morning paper. He'd beaten up his third wife and, when she fled, trashed the house. Fixtures, windows, you name it. When the police arrived he came outside ranting and brandishing a handgun and, to my relief, that was the end of him. His estate immediately settled the file.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs