Scott Duncan strikes back in Quebec

Moderator: Burnaby49

TheNewSaint
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Scott Duncan strikes back in Quebec

Post by TheNewSaint »

The lock requirements were probably so the HOA can enter the unit for maintenance or emergency. My condo HOA has the same rule. As for the guests, the HOA likely just wants to know who has the right to live on the property, so they can keep an eye out for any suspicious characters. Neither of these items should cause a major conflict with one's HOA.

And yes, HOAs do tend to attract tin pot dictators, conformity freaks, and other people who should not have any form of power. Fortunately, my HOA by-laws have a rule whereby any board member can be removed with a 50% vote of the co-owners. We are currently putting this to good use.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Very true, some HOA's are very well and democratically run, some on the other hand run to pure despotism and just plain unreasonableness. One of the reasons my state changed the law and leveled the playing field to a degree. There is still the possibility of abuse, but nowhere near like once upon a time. It was one of those things no one thought they'd have to legislate about, and then did.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
arayder
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by arayder »

I was at a rural southeastern Kentucky framers market a couple of years ago and got into a discussion with an ole boy about his chickens which were right there in front of us. When he jokingly asked if I wanted to buy a few of them and take them home for the eggs (I am obviously a city boy) I said no thanks and told him my HOA didn't allow farm animals anyway.

He said he'd never live in a place where other people had the authority to tell him he couldn't do what he wanted to do. He has worked his life out the way he wants and I have done the same. I read my HOA agreement and I didn't and still don't care if the HOA forbade pot bellied pigs or plots of corn since I have no interest in either.

What I don't get about Duncan is why he signed an agreement he either didn't read or didn't take seriously.
coffeekitten
Pirate
Pirate

Post by coffeekitten »

arayder wrote:I was at a rural southeastern Kentucky framers market a couple of years ago and got into a discussion with an ole boy about his chickens which were right there in front of us. When he jokingly asked if I wanted to buy a few of them and take them home for the eggs (I am obviously a city boy) I said no thanks and told him my HOA didn't allow farm animals anyway.

He said he'd never live in a place where other people had the authority to tell him he couldn't do what he wanted to do. He has worked his life out the way he wants and I have done the same. I read my HOA agreement and I didn't and still don't care if the HOA forbade pot bellied pigs or plots of corn since I have no interest in either.

What I don't get about Duncan is why he signed an agreement he either didn't read or didn't take seriously.
Well, locking someone in his garage or not letting him feed his cats seem extreme to me. But, of course, if you sign an agreement, you should read it and take it seriously, especially when you're buying a condo or renting an apartment. If you don't agree, you can always look for living somewhere else. Maybe Duncan think the rules don't apply to him?
coffeekitten
Pirate
Pirate

Post by coffeekitten »

It looks like the surety group chose the name for the future Pete Daoust political party, PUCCAP (Peuple Unis (sic) Contre la Corruption et les Abus de Pouvoir). It would be a great thing, if they want to be taken seriously, that they learn how to spell, especially that they're good for shaming people when their french is far from being correct. PUCCAP is also a pun that is only understandable in french ( I would add in quebecker). It will probably be a very marginal political party anyway, with non realistic promises.

notorial dissent

There are four likely possibilities in Duncan’s case:
  • 1. He never got the By-Laws when he bought the place and was unaware of them until it was too late.

2. He got the By-laws and NEVER bothered to read them.

3. The By-laws he got at closing weren’t the real By-laws.

4. He is a self centered idiot who thinks he can do whatever he wants to when he wants to.

1. used to be real common here until the laws were changed, now the HOA declaration and the current By-laws are REQUIRED at closing, there were times when people bought and didn’t even realize there was a HOA, then got a VERY nasty surprise when the fines started rolling in. 2. is far more the likely, as he strikes me as a couldn’t be bothered type. 3. is also a possibility, a friend of mine bought in to a condo, and the By-laws he got at closing bore no relationship to the once they actually operated under, that took sicking a really nasty lawyer friend on the condo lawyer to get that taken care of, they had a nice little fine racket going there for a while until they got caught. I however, give pretty much equal weight between 2 and 4 leaning towards 4 considering who we are talking about.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

coffeekitten wrote:It looks like the surety group chose the name for the future Pete Daoust political party, PUCCAP (Peuple Unis (sic) Contre la Corruption et les Abus de Pouvoir). It would be a great thing, if they want to be taken seriously, that they learn how to spell, especially that they're good for shaming people when their french is far from being correct. PUCCAP is also a pun that is only understandable in french ( I would add in quebecker). It will probably be a very marginal political party anyway, with non realistic promises.

I understood the pun.
Last edited by Pottapaug1938 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
arayder
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by arayder »

notorial dissent wrote:There are four likely possibilities in Duncan’s case:
  • 1. He never got the By-Laws when he bought the place and was unaware of them until it was too late.

2. He got the By-laws and NEVER bothered to read them.

3. The By-laws he got at closing weren’t the real By-laws.

4. He is a self centered idiot who thinks he can do whatever he wants to when he wants to.

1. used to be real common here until the laws were changed, now the HOA declaration and the current By-laws are REQUIRED at closing, there were times when people bought and didn’t even realize there was a HOA, then got a VERY nasty surprise when the fines started rolling in. 2. is far more the likely, as he strikes me as a couldn’t be bothered type. 3. is also a possibility, a friend of mine bought in to a condo, and the By-laws he got at closing bore no relationship to the once they actually operated under, that took sicking a really nasty lawyer friend on the condo lawyer to get that taken care of, they had a nice little fine racket going there for a while until they got caught. I however, give pretty much equal weight between 2 and 4 leaning towards 4 considering who we are talking about.
If you look through Duncan's paperwork which Burnaby49 posted earlier viewtopic.php?f=48&t=11275&start=200#p240392 you can see that Scott's argument, ripe with high-sounding freeman/sovcit proclamations, is that he had severed his contracts and agreements with the condo association long before the incident in question. In other writings he and Tara have posted it is implied that once Scott paid off the condo he was free to ignore the rules.

It would seem to me that if the case was, as in scenario #3, that the condo association had a set of secret condo rules Duncan would have been a fool to have passed up using that, figuratively, as the knife he could stick between their ribs.

If the association never gave him a copy of the rules or never bothered to get him to sign an agreement the case is even simpler and more tilted in his favor.

So my question is why would Duncan bother with all the freeman/sovcit BS if he had a real case? If scenario #3 or something like it is the case Scott could have made the argument that that the association played fast and loose with the agreement, throw in a little freeman/sovcit mumbo jumbo and when courts rule in his favor he could claim to be the freeman/sovcit cock of the walk.
coffeekitten
Pirate
Pirate

Post by coffeekitten »

I just watched a video with Pete Daoust and Ken Pereira, one whistleblower who denounced the corruption in the Quebec Federation of Labour (FTQ). http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.3276651 Ken Pereira is the first known personality I see that believes what Pete Daoust is preaching, but who knows how long it will last? In the video, he told Pete Daoust that he spoke of him and Richard Gravel (a judge, I believe) to someone from the elite (he didn't mention who) and that he called him the crazy man (le fou). Ken Pereira is convinced that Pete Daoust is a good man and that he's called crazy because he wants to challenge the establishment and looks even open minded about refusing to pay taxes (because the public debt is a fraud). Pretty naive of him. I hope he will eventually get that Daoust is a charlatan.

In the video, Daoust is also making promo for his new political party and repeating that he wishes to erase the public debt. (video in french)

https://www.facebook.com/DFQuebec/video ... 829336487/
coffeekitten
Pirate
Pirate

Post by coffeekitten »

Let's continue with crazy political promises from Pete Daoust: he says that we are shareholders of Hydro-Quebec, not customers, and that we shouldn't pay for electricity. On the other hand, corporations should pay for electricity and they should be considered as customers. Sounds cool, right? Except that it doesn't pass the test for reality check, but whatever? I'm pretty sure that electors are not dupe enough to believe this and elect him anyway. Dream on, Pete Daoust. Dream on...

arayder
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by arayder »

I hate to be such a capitalist about it all but if governments start erasing their debt that means they would in large part be refusing to pay off on government issued bonds and treasury bills.

Anyone owning those or mutual funds that invest in them would be screwed.

Tell grandpa it's time to get a job at Mc Donald's!

Likewise many hydro companies (we call 'em power and light companies here in the states) issue publicly traded stocks. The company getting no income from public users means the shares tank and share owners don't get dividends!

Tell grandpa to work double shifts at Micky D's!

So how is Pete's idea that different from mugging grandpa?
coffeekitten
Pirate
Pirate

Post by coffeekitten »

arayder wrote:I hate to be such a capitalist about it all but if governments start erasing their debt that means they would in large part be refusing to pay off on government issued bonds and treasury bills.

Anyone owning those or mutual funds that invest in them would be screwed.

Tell grandpa it's time to get a job at Mc Donald's!

Likewise many hydro companies (we call 'em power and light companies here in the states) issue publicly traded stocks. The company getting no income from public users means the shares tank and share owners don't get dividends!

Tell grandpa to work double shifts at Micky D's!

So how is Pete's idea that different from mugging grandpa?
Well, maybe Pete Daoust should read about economics basics instead of reading Scott Duncan's nonsense teachings if he wishes to lead the province (it will never happen anyway).
notorial dissent

It would also mean that the companies weren't getting paid which means they would quit producing electricity which wouldn't be a good thing for the poor little footles.
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

Here's some background on Hydro Quebec so that you can understand the logic involved. Hydro Quebec functions the same as any other corporation and thus is beholden to its shareholders. It is not a provincial crown corporation where the government has some degree of control over its activities. That being said, Hydro Quebec only has one shareholder - the government of Quebec. :thinking: Following FMOTL strawman theory it means therefore that all holders of a Quebec birth certificate hold some percentage of shares in this corporation. Seems to make perfect sense to me. :shock:
coffeekitten
Pirate
Pirate

Post by coffeekitten »

eric wrote:Here's some background on Hydro Quebec so that you can understand the logic involved. Hydro Quebec functions the same as any other corporation and thus is beholden to its shareholders. It is not a provincial crown corporation where the government has some degree of control over its activities. That being said, Hydro Quebec only has one shareholder - the government of Quebec. :thinking: Following FMOTL strawman theory it means therefore that all holders of a Quebec birth certificate hold some percentage of shares in this corporation. Seems to make perfect sense to me. :shock:

It's true to say that Hydro-Québec belongs to all of us (in Quebec), but it doesn't mean we don't have to pay for electricity (of course) Hydro-Québec wouldn't be viable for long if only companies would pay. In Alice in Wonderland, it would be possible, but not in real life.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

We have the same situation in British Columbia. BC Hydro, a Crown Corporation owned by the province, supplies electrical power for most of the province. We still have to pay for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC_Hydro

Venezuela is a good example of what happens when the government supplies something for free. The Venezuelan government supplies unlimited gasoline at such a cheap price it is essentially free. The result is massive waste and a huge boost to the unsustainable government deficit. One of the country's few profitable business enterprises is smuggling the free gas to neighboring countries at a huge markup.

To an extent the same thing would happen in BC and Quebec if power was free. Demand would become virtually unlimited.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Burnaby49 wrote:We have the same situation in British Columbia. BC Hydro, a Crown Corporation owned by the province, supplies electrical power for most of the province. We still have to pay for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC_Hydro

Venezuela is a good example of what happens when the government supplies something for free. The Venezuelan government supplies unlimited gasoline at such a cheap price it is essentially free. The result is massive waste and a huge boost to the unsustainable government deficit. One of the country's few profitable business enterprises is smuggling the free gas to neighboring countries at a huge markup.

To an extent the same thing would happen in BC and Quebec if power was free. Demand would become virtually unlimited.
In Cuba, just after the revolution, the new government said that water supplied to households would now be free. Many people simply left the taps running; and the waste was so bad that the government had to go back to charging for the water.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Iceland provides geothermal-produced energy to its citizens at a nominal flate-rate cost. This has led to such strange sights such as windows in homes wide-open during the winter since heating bills have no increasing effect on your pocket book.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

In Cuba, just after the revolution, the new government said that water supplied to households would now be free. Many people simply left the taps running; and the waste was so bad that the government had to go back to charging for the water.
Water here is essentially free, or at least the cost isn't tied to consumption. We just pay a fixed annual rate. Vancouver has a huge watershed supplying excellent quality water but I doubt the situation is sustainable. With the massive increase (current and forecast) in the population of the greater Vancouver area we'll eventually have to meter. Or else stop obsessively over-watering our gardens in the summer.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Burnaby49 wrote:
Water here is essentially free, or at least the cost isn't tied to consumption. We just pay a fixed annual rate. Vancouver has a huge watershed supplying excellent quality water but I doubt the situation is sustainable. With the massive increase (current and forecast) in the population of the greater Vancouver area we'll eventually have to meter. Or else stop obsessively over-watering our gardens in the summer.
I think that I'd enjoy living in Point Roberts, Washington. It would be like moving to Canada, except that I wouldn't have to apply for landed immigrant status.