Freedumb Flood Foolery in Quebec

Moderator: Burnaby49

eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Freedumb Flood Foolery in Quebec

Post by eric »

I present to you Alain Furlano, an unassuming real estate realtor and landowner in West Island Montreal. Nothing significant about him on Social Media except that this week he went all FMOTL. For those non-Canadians who may be reading this there is significant flooding in the City of Montreal and upstream up the Ottawa River. Short story - Furlano got in the way during relief efforts. He was:
a. performing something risky that was endangering his own life;
b. he wanted to build a dike which would protect his own property but would end up channeling flood water that would wash out a commuter rail line.
The last struck a chord with me since the same thing happened in my own little village about forty years. During a flood, the local rail lines acted as dykes to hold the water in the village rather than letting it flow out. As the story goes, the local RCMP conveniently absented themselves around 2 AM one morning while the local farmers cut the rail line letting the water drain. Yes my house still has the high water marks in it for posterity's sake.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-n ... derre-says
Furlano gets into it with the police on Tuesday so they arrest him and take him back to the station. He won't sign a recognizance to stay away so they hold him for the night. The next morning he goes all Freedumb:
Before refusing to follow the condition, Furlano appeared to quote people who claim to be members of the Freemen on the land movement. People who are part of this group feel conventional laws do not apply to them.
In another confusing moment during the brief appearance, Furlano insisted that the charge sheet filed in his case be translated from English into ‎French.

The prosecutor in the case appeared baffled and told Furlano, who appeared via a video linkup with a detention centre, that he was informed that Furlano had spoken in English to authorities while he was detained overnight.

In another sign that Furlano might consider himself a member of the Freemen on the land movement, he outright turned down an offer to be represented by a legal aid lawyer. Freemen on the land members often act as their own attorneys in court and will only refer to legislation that dates back centuries.

“I am a man, a human being,” Furlano said in a statement that sounded similar to those made by others involved in the movement.
So finally after a full bail hearing today he gets released:
http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-n ... ese-people
While he was frequently disruptive during Thursday’s proceeding, Furlano told the court he was willing to accept the conditions “under threat.” He insisted the charge against him “stinks” and that the court was violating his “habeas corpus” rights.

“You have many interpretations of what’s going on,” Judge Louis Legault said.

“Do I have my habeas corpus?” Furlano replied.

“You’re all mixed up,” Legault fired back.

At one point, Furlano refused to concede that he was a citizen with legal rights, insisting that he was simply a human being, a free man.
And in a total failure for Pete's and Scooter's surety of the person tactics:
http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2017/0 ... tre-libere
Note that as soon as he arrived in court, Furlano held a speech that puzzled several people in the courtroom.
"I am a human being who has a legal personality under the name of Furlano,"
BTW, there is consternation over on Pete's facebook page. They don't want t call themselves Freemen on the Land, but Furlano is using some of Pete's surety of the person tactics. The police were actually nice to Furlano in my opinion - there is a video of him being arrested. They realized that people were tired and emotionally exhausted - all he had to do was go back to the station and just sign a surety that he would stay out of the way and he managed to turn it into a few days in jail. BTW, last year in Alberta when they had to evacuate 80,000 out of Fort Mac one of the reasons everything went so well was because most of the evacuees were trained or had a family member who was trained to follow procedures even if the orders were to drive down a highway between the flames and do not stop.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Fort ... y_Wildfire
coffeekitten
Pirate
Pirate

Re: Freedumb Flood Foolery in Quebec

Post by coffeekitten »

I bet Pete Daoust will try to contact him for one of his webTV shows. Pete is very angry that the bad journalists depicted Alain as a freeman of the land and didn't tell the truth (well, what is truth in Pete's mind).
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Petey would seem to get really upset really easily, indicating all sorts of unhealthful issues.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

coffeekitten wrote:I bet Pete Daoust will try to contact him for one of his webTV shows. Pete is very angry that the bad journalists depicted Alain as a freeman of the land and didn't tell the truth (well, what is truth in Pete's mind).
That's a good summary of the chatter on Pete's page right now - mostly how terrible the journalists are for calling a good samaritan an evil freeman. And here's a link to a youtube video that Pete made on Alain - no webTV yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KITMhCj ... e=youtu.be
I haven't watched it yet - busy times for those of us in the farming gig.